“Good diner at Jaume”

Cuisines: Spanish
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 17 March 2013

Pretty little restaurant, we had a good diner there - choice of regional cuisine. The service was nice and swift.

Reviewed 2 January 2013

We booked 24hrs in advance & requested a table overlooking the view. On arrival we were seated on the terrace but not overlooking the view. There was a "view" table free but we were told it was reserved. Nobody sat there while we dined & we didn't leave until nearly 11pm....

Food was very nice but pricey: £100GBP for 2 having a €25 wine, one starter, two mains & two puddings. But that's Deia. The main courses came with no sides, ie no veg or potatoes. I had a risotto which worked out ok despite this, but my wife's fish looked lonely on the plate!

What really got my goat was what happened when I paid the bill. I paid on a UK credit card. I am very aware of Dynamic Currency Conversion (read all about it:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dynamic_currency_conversion ) & am keen to avoid it as it is without doubt dishonest when used like it was at Restaurant Jaume.
I clearly stated as I handed over my MasterCard "pay in Euros" (this is how to avoid DCC as described above). When I got the machine back to enter my PIN, the waiter had added €10 as a tip! Fine, I thought, that was probably vaguely in the ballpark of what I would have given, if a little presumptious, but hey, he must have misunderstood me. The amount on the screen was in Euros. My receipt stated: "transaction currency: GBP. I accept that I have been offered a choice of currencies Service & exchange rate conversion rate and final amount. I understand that the choice of transaction currency is final". So DCC had been used. How irritating - although not a lot per customer in monetary terms, this will no doubt be a great money spinner for Jaume over time.
On complaining, I was told that this was the fault of the machine & nothing could be done. I know this to be untrue; a friend of mine runs a business on Mallorca & his (identical) card machine offers the choice of currencies as an option. I will leave the reader to judge this aspect of Restaurant Jaume....

2  Thank snelmark
Reviewed 23 November 2012

How this restaurant can rate a mention in Michelin I do not know.
The 2 dishes that attracted us in & we ordered were not available.
Only 2 tables occupied but the service cold. Thankfully the other guests agrred with it us that it has gone downhill lately.

Reviewed 23 October 2012

Very good and tasty food. Fresh meat and fishes. The wine list is sufficient - not too much and not too less. Excellent wines! I recommend red wine Butxet from Mallorca!
Marverllous and smiling service. Atmosphere nice and elegant but not too stiff - what I enjoyed.
Highly recommended if you want to try tipical mallorquin food and wine!

Reviewed 22 October 2012

Dinner here on Friday evening . Sitting on outside terrace overlooking the valley as the lights appeared in the darkness . We could choose our table . Nice atmosphere --quite busy but not rushed. There was a mistake on one starter which was rapidly rectified . Food was excellent . Fantastic John Dory which was piping hot and cooked to perfection. Would definitely visit again.