“pleasant surprise”

Sol Guadalupe by Melia
Ranked #5 of 30 Hotels in Magaluf
Reviewed 20 October 2013

I wasnt too excited about my trip to Magaluf after reading all the stories in the media but it was a cheap flight and this hotel looked decent so I booked it. First of all, the reception area is a dream. It could match any four star hotel in London. It was clean, the decor was fantastic and it smelt lovely. The rooms are a tad bit small but otherwise really nice. It hasa flat screen tv with BBC, BBC 2 & ITV. It has a fridge and in the toilet or has all the toiletries you would need along with hairdryer. It was my birthday during my stay so they provided me with a surprise bottle of bubbly.
The food was yummy and plenty of choice and this is from a fussy eater.
The hotel is approx 5-7mins walk to the beach and 10 mins walk to Magaluf.
Altogether very pleasantly surprised that I found this gem and if I was to return to Magaluf I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
Maria Dolores D, Director de Relaciones Públicas at Sol Guadalupe by Melia, responded to this reviewResponded 6 November 2013

Hello sunshinel,
Thank you very much for the positive feedback from you about our hotel, we are pleased to hear that you were satisfied with your stay and that you would like to stay again in the Sol Guadalupe if you return to Magaluf.
We hope to see you soon,
Regards,
Dolores

Write a ReviewReviews (2,284)

Reviewed 17 October 2013

When you have had the pleasure of staying in the Sol Guadalupe as many times as I have, and are one of the Destination Experts for Magaluf............(for which they do not know who I am)........you think to yourself that this year "it cannot be as good as the last time" as the standards here "are" and "have been" so high that surely things might have slipped?

Well I can tell you based on my stay that I am more than happy to say that the "standards" are just as high as before!!

The reception check-in was polite with a warm smile from Ros.............yes I had to wait some time to check-in, but there were 15-20 people in front of me, so the staff were going as fast as they could and doing their very best to please everyone..............but if that many people arrive you just have to accept that it is going to take a little while to complete your check-in......

The rooms are small-medium ............but are big enough for the purpose of what they are used for..........sleeping and relaxing......they are kept very clean, and the air-conditioning worked a treat which was a Godsend as it was so hot all week-fantastic!!
It was also nice whilst relaxing, or getting ready to go out.........that there were some English TV channels to help pass some time.....whilst the free of charge fridge in the room kept my drinks chilled!!!!!

The food was very good........the breakfast choice was excellent- it really was, as there was so much to choose from to keep all tastes happy.....my only moan is that for a 4* hotel I wish the fruit juices were fresh and not the sugary ones out of the machine.....yuk!
The evening meals were on the whole very good..............the only let down for me, was that the soups were in my opinion very watery/bland compared with previous years......but it is my own personal opinion........others might argue???lol..

For the main courses.....well you cannot fault the choice.........there is something for everyone......a HUGE choice of food for your main course...............a huge salad bar if you wish..........and for afterwards? Well it would be easier to list what they didn't have !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The only thing that I would add is that in the dining room the tables are sometimes very close to the table next to you, which might make you feel a little uncomfortable......but the cleanliness and service IS excellent..

The entertainment in the evening was excellent as I decided to have a few glasses of wine whilst watching various shows, and they were excellent-and I REALLY mean excellent.............well done to the animation team who work so hard!!

During the day I based myself at the pool as I find the atmosphere around the pool so relaxing and friendly ........... The huge lagoon pool was a welcome break from the very hot weather, and a swim up to the Jacuzzi was a relaxing pleasure.
There were plenty of sunbeds for everyone and the service yet again from the staff at the bar was excellent-even when there were a huge number there.

So all in all it was a very relaxing and comfortable stay..........with the service excellent as usual, and no wonder when you have staff that have been there many years with huge experience....All the staff should be congratulated for their effort and commitment to helping make OUR holidays a pleasurable one.........and for me they succeed............

For me the cleanliness, food choice, pool and SERVICE keep bringing me back to the Guadalupe.............well done again to everyone at the hotel!

MANCHESTER-GOLFER

Room Tip: The rooms overlooking the pool are worth paying the extra Euro's........................great vi...
2  Thank 3-12-2015kp
Maria Dolores D, Director de Relaciones Públicas at Sol Guadalupe by Melia, responded to this reviewResponded 7 November 2013

Hello MANCHESTER-GOLFER,
Firstly I would like thank you for the fidelity demonstrated to us over these years and also for the time you have spent one to write your feedback about your last stay in our hotel.
We appreciate your comments, especially those which will help us to continue to improve every day. I passed the information to the head chef who will do everything in their hands to improve the juice and the soups, if possible.
We hope to see you again next year and have the pleasure to welcoming you personally.
Best regards,

Reviewed 14 October 2013

we stayed here four ladies late september,hotel was away from the main strip.when we checked in man on reception said we could eat before restaurant closed and check in after which was nice of him.rooms were spotless very clean,ours overlooked the pool and could almost see the sea.hotel had nightly entertainment for adults and children seemed good what we heard and saw of it.there was entertainment in pool or poolside each day aquarobics zumba etc.we had fun doing exercises in the pool.staff were very helpful,cleaners cleaned rooms every day.there were plenty of sunbeds around the pool, also a sun area away from the pool,childrens pool looked fun.food was good something for every taste one minor criticism it wasnt warm enough,some was just luke warm i like my food hot.the warmers wernt very efficient.we had a pizza by the pool for lunch one day one of the freshest tastiest pizzas ive tasted.we fellt we were a bit out of theway but if u wan it quieter its perfect location.we also got reduced cost access to katmandu was great fun.

Room Tip: book a poolview room

Hello mejulie0,
Thank you very much for the comments about your stay in our hotel.
We are glad that you enjoyed your holiday with us. I have send your comments about the temperature of the food to our executive chef, who will do everything in his power to improve it, if possible because they must comply with sanitation standards in this regard.
We hope you visit our hotel again in the near future.
Best regards,

Reviewed 14 October 2013

This is the second time we have used the Sole Guadalupe for a short break in October. The resort of Magaluf is very quiet at this time of year. If you are lucky enough to get good weather, the beach is fantastic with plenty of space. For those who experience changeable weather, which we did, Palma is a beautiful city.

The hotel is very clean, the staff are excellent and very helpful. The rooms are small clean and presentable. The rooms were made up and the towels were changed daily.

The only bad point for our stay was the food was cold at breakfast and dinner. I did mention this to one of the staff after our second meal and the problem was resolved. If I want to be picky, I didn't like the position of the tables for couples. They are situated too close with little privacy to talk when eating your meal. I found the solution of using a table laid out for four people. The food was very edible when hot.

I would return to this hotel again although it would still be late in the season.

Reviewed 12 October 2013

Third time at this hotel. As usual the hotel is spotless. Bedrooms spotless,great new TVs,fridge in room very welcome. We had room 712 overlooking the pool,beautiful. The maid for our room was excellent, everything was well cleaned. Well done. The pool and reception have just been refurbished and is lovely. Also a lovely pool for kids. The staff are all very pleasant,the guy on reception is lovely,nothing any bother to him,we had a problem with the phone in our room,he had it repaired immediately. The only one small complaint l would have is about the food. As it is comming near the end of their season,they have taken away the Italian section in the restaurant,which is a pity,as it was very popular. There was very little variation at the desert section,almost the same was offered every night. Even with this slight critisism l would return to the Sol Guadalupe hotel without any hesitation again and again.
The hotel is about five minutes walk from the beach,with many bars,restaurants and shops on the way. Try the British chip shop across the road from the hotel,beautiful. If you are thinking about booking the Sol Guadalupe don't worry its lovely,we hope to go back again soon. We love it.

Room Tip: Pool views are a must. Sun all day long.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank exc00p
Reviewed 10 October 2013

The hotel was booked last minute and I did look at previous reviews. The hotel was excellent and worth every penny. The rooms were very clean and quite comfortable and we had a fridge too. The hotel in general was spotless and modern. All the staff was friendly. The food was plentiful and lots of variety to suit all tastes. I would definitely recommend this hotel and would definitely stay again.

Review collected in partnership with Melia Hotels International
1  Thank Tania W
Reviewed 10 October 2013

Usual excellent standards from all staff,from reception,bar,resuarant,and housekeeping in this beautiful hotel,food at all times great,even cava for breakfast if u want,pool area and terrace well kept and plenty sunbeds,we have been here many times when our kids were young and go with friends now and always have a great time here,plenty pubs and eating places nearby like arfurs for good music,drinks,andsports etc,be back next year.

Review collected in partnership with Melia Hotels International