“One of the last bastions of normality in Magaluf!”

Sol Guadalupe by Melia
Ranked #5 of 28 Hotels in Magaluf
Reviewed 30 October 2013

Ladies and Gents!

This hotel is situated in Magaluf.

Magaluf for all intents and purposes is an epicenter for large groups of people who are, during the hours of darkness, hell bent on behaving in a manner that would only take place in the UK if the end of the world had just been announced. Alcohol takes most of the blame for this, as do the local bar owners, who look at this behavior as normal. No complaints from me, I find some of the antics quite amusing and predictable. But it's personal taste and a sense of humour, hence why I would not even consider taking my loved ones to such a resort, but it's also the reasons why I am more than prepared to visit there on an annual basis, with like minded friends. It's base entertainment on a grand scale at night, but quite endearing during daylight hours, mainly because a majority of the party animals are comatose in their little piece of hell after consuming cheap beer in vast quantities into the small hours. There you go, you have been warned. You have seen all the horror stories on TV and associated media, it's not far off the truth, but believe it or not......that's why some people go to Magaluf. Bad language, vomiting in public, mild nudity, observe prostitution if walking in the wrong street late at night and I am reliably informed, illegal drugs. No, I am not talking about the UK now.........so in hindsight, perhaps Magaluf is not so different from what is going on back here?

The Sol is located on the peripheries of hell, once inside you are kind off shielded from Beelzebub and friends and normality soon returns. It's not the Sheriton, but it's a hotel where you can eat, sleep and enjoy a cocktail or two in the evening by the pool. There is cheesy entertainment at night, there is a massive pool and a not so massive one. The staff and service is acceptable. Room allocation is probably a bit hit and miss, but I have nothing to add to other reviews in that respect. The Sol is quite respectable compared to some further into the Strip.

I can tolerate the Sol, friends and I will be returning for the 4th time next year. Not for a holiday, just a short break, merely to catch up with each other, get drunk at night and watch the wildlife on the Strip doing what they know best. The Sol is the best we have found yet for a safe haven and reasonably priced which ever board basis you choose. But if you are a bit of a full on Party Animal, the Sol perhaps is not the ideal place for you. As for families with young children, well the Magaluf Resort in it's self is possibly not the most appropriate place to be after 7 at night. It's all a matter of taste, but you have read the reviews, so you will know exactly what to expect......won't you?

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled with friends
4  Thank theviolator

Reviewed 25 October 2013

Have just returned from a short stay at this hotel and even though the season is all but over, you would not know it from the facilities and staff at the Sol Guadalope.
Just walking into the reception was a real surprise, I guess I was expecting the usual Magaluf tat but boy was I wrong! the rooms, the pool, the breakfast choices - smoked salmon and champagne being my favourite! the staff all score top marks and I wholeheartedly recommend this hotel and will most definately stay there again

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank JayW1409
Maria Dolores D, Director de Relaciones Públicas at Sol Guadalupe by Melia, responded to this reviewResponded 31 October 2013

Hello JayW1409,
Thank you very much firstly for choosing us to enjoy your holiday and secondly for the feedback from you about our hotel, its facilities and the service you have received.
We are glad that you enjoyed these days with us and we hope to see you again next year
Kindest regards

Reviewed 24 October 2013 via mobile

We have stayed here 4 times over the years and could not fault it until this time, first as the hotel closes on Sunday the food deteriorated towards the end of the week I think that they were scraping the barrel to keep us fed until it closed there was very little food available but they tried there best the staff are still very nice and.friendly,also the walls between the rooms should be insulated as you can here everything that happens in the next room(passionate couples ect.ect.)

• Stayed: October 2013
1  Thank stuhurst

Hello stuhurst,
Thank you for your confidence in us over the years to enjoy your holiday
I regret that this time you have not been satisfied with the quality of the food; I have informed to the head chef and he will do everything in his hands to improve this service.
We look forward to seeing you again next year and I hope to have the opportunity to welcome you personally.
Kind regards

Reviewed 23 October 2013

Me and my friend (2 young girls) were on our vocations at the Sol Guadalupe hotel from the 15th to 26th of September, 2013 for the first time. The weather was wonderful, the air temperature was about 28-30 degrees, the sea was about 25. As for the hotel, everything was great: the rooms were always neat and clean, the food was varied and tasty, the staff was always friendly. We espesially liked the animation program for adults, sports activities at the first half of a day and interesting and varied evening entertainment program. Among the animators we want to higlight with special gratitude Florian, Didi, Mario and Paco. The overall impression of staying at the Sol Guadalupe hotel remains the most pleasant! We would love to come back next year!

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank 2013Julia2013
Maria Dolores D, Director de Relaciones Públicas at Sol Guadalupe by Melia, responded to this reviewResponded 5 November 2013

Hello 2013Julia,
Thank you for choosing our hotel for those first holiday in Mallorca with your friends and also for your comments about your stay.
We are glad that you liked the hotel and especially the activities program.
We hope to see you here next year,

Reviewed 22 October 2013

I have just returned from a 10 night stay at this hotel on a half board basis (10-20 October). I had booked to stay here last year but was transferred over to the Sol Antilles as the Guadalupe was closing for the winter before my holiday ended. So I was pleased to get into the Guadalupe this time and I absolutely loved it.
I had a room on the back overlooking a car park and apartments. The room was spotlessly clean and the maid came in daily to make beds, change towels, keep the place clean. The room had a flat screen TV which included a number of english channels. There was a safe and a minibar both at extra cost. The room was spacious, had heating, air conditioning, a ceiling fan, 2 armchairs, twin beds. Other reviewers had warned about rooms on the back being noisy because of the Mallorca Rocks apartments but they were already closed for the winter so it wasn't noisy at all.
The dining room was excellent also. Loads of food of excellent quality and loads of choices...always important to me as I don't eat any meat. Clearly as it was late in the season, parts of the dining room were closed but there was plenty of room for all. The dining room staff were very efficient.
There was evening cabaret in the bar/pool area but I didn't stay in to watch it.
The whole ground floor is such a classy space with its white tiled marble floor, white walls, black furniture, white lamps...minimalist but very tasty.
There is a good size pool outdoors with underwater lights that change colours of an evening. It's just a hotel with a WOW factor.
I think I prefer it to the Antilles even though that was excellent too.
Loved my 10 nights at his hotel and will stay here again.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
Review collected in partnership with Alpharooms
1  Thank knapsack69

Hello knapsack 6...
First of all thank you for choosing us for your holidays.
I'm glad that this time you could enjoy our services and have covered all your expectations.
We hope you will return next year and have the opportunity to welcoming you personally.
Regards,

Reviewed 20 October 2013

I wasnt too excited about my trip to Magaluf after reading all the stories in the media but it was a cheap flight and this hotel looked decent so I booked it. First of all, the reception area is a dream. It could match any four star hotel in London. It was clean, the decor was fantastic and it smelt lovely. The rooms are a tad bit small but otherwise really nice. It hasa flat screen tv with BBC, BBC 2 & ITV. It has a fridge and in the toilet or has all the toiletries you would need along with hairdryer. It was my birthday during my stay so they provided me with a surprise bottle of bubbly.
The food was yummy and plenty of choice and this is from a fussy eater.
The hotel is approx 5-7mins walk to the beach and 10 mins walk to Magaluf.
Altogether very pleasantly surprised that I found this gem and if I was to return to Magaluf I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
Maria Dolores D, Director de Relaciones Públicas at Sol Guadalupe by Melia, responded to this reviewResponded 6 November 2013

Hello sunshinel,
Thank you very much for the positive feedback from you about our hotel, we are pleased to hear that you were satisfied with your stay and that you would like to stay again in the Sol Guadalupe if you return to Magaluf.
We hope to see you soon,
Regards,

Reviewed 17 October 2013

When you have had the pleasure of staying in the Sol Guadalupe as many times as I have, and are one of the Destination Experts for Magaluf............(for which they do not know who I am)........you think to yourself that this year "it cannot be as good as the last time" as the standards here "are" and "have been" so high that surely things might have slipped?

Well I can tell you based on my stay that I am more than happy to say that the "standards" are just as high as before!!

The reception check-in was polite with a warm smile from Ros.............yes I had to wait some time to check-in, but there were 15-20 people in front of me, so the staff were going as fast as they could and doing their very best to please everyone..............but if that many people arrive you just have to accept that it is going to take a little while to complete your check-in......

The rooms are small-medium ............but are big enough for the purpose of what they are used for..........sleeping and relaxing......they are kept very clean, and the air-conditioning worked a treat which was a Godsend as it was so hot all week-fantastic!!
It was also nice whilst relaxing, or getting ready to go out.........that there were some English TV channels to help pass some time.....whilst the free of charge fridge in the room kept my drinks chilled!!!!!

The food was very good........the breakfast choice was excellent- it really was, as there was so much to choose from to keep all tastes happy.....my only moan is that for a 4* hotel I wish the fruit juices were fresh and not the sugary ones out of the machine.....yuk!
The evening meals were on the whole very good..............the only let down for me, was that the soups were in my opinion very watery/bland compared with previous years......but it is my own personal opinion........others might argue???lol..

For the main courses.....well you cannot fault the choice.........there is something for everyone......a HUGE choice of food for your main course...............a huge salad bar if you wish..........and for afterwards? Well it would be easier to list what they didn't have !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The only thing that I would add is that in the dining room the tables are sometimes very close to the table next to you, which might make you feel a little uncomfortable......but the cleanliness and service IS excellent..

The entertainment in the evening was excellent as I decided to have a few glasses of wine whilst watching various shows, and they were excellent-and I REALLY mean excellent.............well done to the animation team who work so hard!!

During the day I based myself at the pool as I find the atmosphere around the pool so relaxing and friendly ........... The huge lagoon pool was a welcome break from the very hot weather, and a swim up to the Jacuzzi was a relaxing pleasure.
There were plenty of sunbeds for everyone and the service yet again from the staff at the bar was excellent-even when there were a huge number there.

So all in all it was a very relaxing and comfortable stay..........with the service excellent as usual, and no wonder when you have staff that have been there many years with huge experience....All the staff should be congratulated for their effort and commitment to helping make OUR holidays a pleasurable one.........and for me they succeed............

For me the cleanliness, food choice, pool and SERVICE keep bringing me back to the Guadalupe.............well done again to everyone at the hotel!

MANCHESTER-GOLFER

Room Tip: The rooms overlooking the pool are worth paying the extra Euro's........................great vi...