“Fantastic Hotel, Great Location!! (Even if there is a steep hill)”

Universal Hotel Florida
Ranked #9 of 28 Hotels in Magaluf
Leeds, United Kingdom
“Fantastic Hotel, Great Location!! (Even if there is a steep hill)”
Reviewed 22 October 2013

Even though when booking Hotel Florida I had read many great reviews, I was still slightly nervous after reading some bad reviews, as I am only twenty-four and was travelling by myself, visiting friends in the resort, however I cannot fault this hotel at all! Hotel Florida is in such a great location of Magaluf (please request a sea-view on booking as the views are amazing), as you have easy access and a short walk to the beach, restaurants, Magaluf strip and Palma Nova, however at the same time you are in such a quiet area, you never experience noise from Magaluf itself.

Unfortunately I never experienced food in the hotel as I was never up in time for breakfast, however I have to credit the hotel staff for their hospitality. On my departure day back home, I had to check out very early for my flight and the staff made sure I had access to breakfast and drinks before leaving, which I have to admit after a week of partying and not much sleep, set me up nicely for the long travel back home. Also upon checking out the staff made sure I knew about my transfer, which I thought was very kind of them. I also have to add the drink prices were very reasonably priced, it was roughly round about 4euros for a cocktail. If you require wifi it's only 10euros for the week, however most local bars and restaurants provide you with free wifi.

The hotel rooms were very clean and cleaners came in everyday to provide clean towels and bedsheets. The hotel room was ideal for me as I was by myself, however even though I booked a double room, the only fault I could pick with the room is if their was two of you, the room could end up being a little bit cramped. I have to say the swimming pool was amazing, ideal for relaxing, with superb views and you would never think you were in Magaluf.

This is one of the best holidays I have experienced and after feeling slightly nervous about visiting Magaluf after hearing some not so good reviews, I have completely fallen in love with the place and will be going back next year, therefore if you want to try Magaluf but be also staying away from the hustle and bustle then this is the hotel for you!! As I was staying by myself, I felt incredibly comfortable during my stay in this hotel and everybody I met in this hotel whether staff or holidaymakers were incredibly welcoming.

I would recommend this hotel to couples, families and groups of friends, however if you are a party of big lads or girls then this maybe not the place for you, as the hotel likes to keep noise from hotel residents to a minimum, which I hugely respect, therefore that is why next year I will be staying elsewhere, as this was the only problem I experienced during my stay. As I was visiting friends out in Magaluf and staying by myself, it would of been nice if I could of had my friends round on evenings, however hotel security would stop any non residents from entering
the hotel, therefore that is the only reason I would not stop at the hotel again. If I was going away with a boyfriend or family I wouldn't hesitate in stopping here again!!

**SAFETY TIPS**
Avoid the opposite end of Magaluf as it is so easy to get mugged and it is great to be made aware of this.

*** GREAT TIPS***
Visit Nikki Beach
Try the para sailing
You have to experience the sling shot on the strip
Always bargain with the PR's at the bars for cheap drinks
Visit BCM nightclub it is definitely an experience
If wanting a chilled out night go for a meal and drinks in Palma Nova on the beach front

Room Tip: Ask for a sea view!!
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled solo
5 Thank LesleyK1989

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (200)
  • Polish first
Great Torrington, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 October 2013

Hotel Florida is the best 3 star hotel we have stayed in, cannot fault it at all,such a wide variety of food, and there was even special diabetic jam and marmalade, and a nice touch was a bowl of water with pieces of lemon it it for washing your fruit. Fantastic views and several small terraces with sun loungers which were a bit more private then being around the pool. The all inclusive drinks were good and you get good measures and no problem getting 2 or 3 drinks at a time. As others have said staff lovely and the Hotel is clean, we were in the Annex which was okay but if raining you would get wet going for meals or to the bar. We found the lift system a bit confusing we were room 4007 which was on floor 2 our friend was in room 701 that was on level 6. Several people spent extra time going up and down needlessly. Yes it is up a very steep hill and there are 101 steps up from the beach which brings you quite a way up the hill. Will definatly stay again.

Room Tip: Try to get a room in the main building.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank winkleDevon
Dunfermline, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 October 2013

I have just returned from the hotel florida after a week of being there on my own with my 6 year old daughter. I was a bit worried when i read the previous reviews about it being full of stag/hen parties however when i got there it was completely different. There was a lot of families with children and also single parents with children. My daughter met lots of friends by the pool which was great!! The room was basic and comfy but we were hardly in the room anyway, there was some ants but we reported this and they went up straight away to spray the room. The view was absolutely amazing!!!! The cleaners do a good job and give u clean towels every day. The food was lovely however i think they could do with different things on different days, as we mostly had veal and pork on the menu everyday, there is a good selection to go with it though...salad, rice, potatoes, bread, rolls and cold meats. The staff are excellent, so friendly and they made me and my daughter feel very welcome, they even got to know our names and our drink order at dinner lol. The hotel is in a great location close to pretty much everything, the hill is quite steep but me and my daughter managed it fine (she even managed to run all the way up). I think they could do with better entertainment for the family. I would definitely recommend going to the Hotel Florida and we will definitely be going back :-) :-) :-)

Room Tip: Definitely ask for a sea view!!!
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
5 Thank karri86
Liverpool, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 October 2013

Just came back from staying in the Hotel florida, booked a double room for myself and was given a family room food was very good hotel is spotless. clean sheets and towels everyday. only problem is there is a big hill to climb, but its only 3 euros 50 cents in a taxi. staff really friendly. highly recommend a visit here.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank 1stuart
Shrewsbury, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 October 2013

Shame on anyone for giving a poor review for this hotel, I have just returned from a three day break and yes the hill would not be suitable for people with wheel chairs or young children but if you have done your research you will know this any way and the views from the rooms are worth the effort, simply stunning !!! The manager is the most perfect gent ive ever encountered in any hotel around the world and all the other staff were friendly and helpful. The rooms basic yes, but very clean and the beds were comfortable. The food was very good, I am a veggie and still found something nice to eat at each meal time, we went all inclusive and if I am to give a very small bit of advice, if you miss your evening meal (as we did) they only offer biscuits at the bar so get some food out if you do !.....great hotel for a great price, enjoy !

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Samantha B
Reviewed 13 October 2013 via mobile

Stayed in september for 4 nights on a hen party and it was great. Staff were fantastic, especially the man who welcomes you into the restaurant and pedro on reception. Although the hotel had a lot of hen and stag parties it was very quiet at night. Food was ok, something different everyday and although it was basic it was nice. Good distance from the strip and cardiac hill is not as bad as everyone makes out! Would definatly return to the hotel if i'm back in magaluf

• Stayed September 2013
Antrim, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 October 2013

Just returned from a 3 night break with my wife (both late 20's). Arrived late on Saturday night. Room was very basic although we did get a sea view at no extra charge which was nice. No air conditioning. Shower was good. Purchased safety deposit box at cost of €10 for our stay. Had to pay €10 each for wifi code for the week. Wifi signal was good throughout hotel and pool area. Hotel staff were very friendly and helpful. Lifts were quite small but hotel staff would always let guests go ahead of them when necessary. Quite a lot of steps throughout the hotel and would not be wheelchair accessible, or particularly suitable for young children/buggies.

The next morning we upgraded from B&B to all inclusive at cost of approx. €25 per person per day. Breakfast was 8-10am, lunch 1-2.30pm and dinner 7-9pm. Unfortunately no snacks or food available in between these times. Good selection of food on the all-inclusive meals but we would both be quite picky and wouldn't eat any of the meats. All inclusive drinks included local beers, wines, spirits and soft drinks. Drinks were available until 11pm each day.

Pool was very clean but quite cold. Lovely view out to the sea, and due to the time of year the pool area was nice and quiet. Usual cabaret style entertainment in the evenings was average enough, but you are within 5 mins walk of the main strip in Magaluf if you want something more lively. There is quite a steep hill back up to the hotel, but I found it ok. Might be an issue for older or less-mobile people.

Within walking distance of the beach and all the main bars, restaurants and shops. We didn't have to get a taxi or bus the whole time we were there.

Overall we found the hotel good value for money for a short couples break.

Room Tip: Try to get a sea view room if possible
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple