“Very relaxing holiday”

Universal Hotel Florida
Ranked #10 of 30 Hotels in Magaluf
Reviewed 28 July 2014

We've been to the hotel Florida many times. It's always been a friendly place. Nothing is too
Much trouble for the staff. Going back for the third time this year in September .
The only downside is the sun doesn't reach the whole pool area until about 11or12 o'clock.
Not really a problem.

Room Tip: Pool view for afternoon sun
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Raymond B
psolaz, Gerente at Universal Hotel Florida, responded to this reviewResponded 30 July 2014

Dear Raymond,

Thank you so much for your kinds words, I see you in september.

José Solaz ( director )

Write a ReviewReviews (1,081)

Reviewed 25 July 2014

I've just got back from a 7 night stay in Hotel Florida which is a lovely, clean hotel with beautiful views on top of a steep hill.

On arrival we were told that our room wasn't going to be ready until 1pm (we arrived at 10am) so we changed and sat by the pool bar for a few hours (all the sun loungers were in use.) our room wasn't actually ready until nearly half past two which was very annoying and even then the maid was still in our room finishing off. Once we finally got into our room we were amazed with the beautiful view.

Rooms are very spacious and relatively clean, cleaned everyday (although not very thoroughly) our towels and beds were also changed daily unlike other hotels we have visited in Magaluf. One of the beds in our room was very uncomfortable and we took it in turns to sleep in it as in the morning you were guaranteed to wake up with pains in your neck and back.
We also stayed on the 5th floor which was SO noisy being directly below the restaurant we were woken up every morning hearing chairs scraped across the floor. Not great when you're hungover.

The majority of the guests in this hotel are foreign and quite rude in my opinion. I also found this hotel to favour the foreign guests and be a lot more tolerant of their bad behaviour.

Hotel Florida is definitely not a place for party-goers. The security guard that patrols at night is SO rude and shouted at my sister to shut up after merely tripping over a step! One night we caught him listening in at our door accusing us of WALKING too loudly. His attitude is appalling and it's no wonder he gets the abuse that he does from other guests. The night receptionist is amazing though and laughed off the security's behaviour with us.

The food is ok. Chips or potatoes for fussy eaters like my sister. Mexican night was a personal fave. The cocktails on offer were disgusting. The sex on the beach tasted like a cup of sugar and the piña colada tasted like sick so I just stuck with soft drinks at the hotel.

The staff and maids are all very very friendly and helpful and I can't fault them at all. Jose (the hotel manager) greets you at the dining hall for each meal and is so welcoming.

Although this hotel was nice it just wasn't for us and we wouldn't stay here again. I also agree with previous reviews that this hotel really should make up it's mind at who it's target visitors should be. There is no atmosphere with this hotel which really does put a downer on things. Also the hill is an absolute killer! Towards the end of the holiday we started getting cabs up (only €3.10) I'd say this hotel was definitely more suitable for older holiday goers, despite being in such a prime location for nightlife

• Stayed: July 2014
2  Thank FrankieExx
psolaz, Gerente at Universal Hotel Florida, responded to this reviewResponded 27 July 2014

Dear Frankie,

Thank you for your review. We are very happy you liked our hotel, the cleanliness and the great views.
We will forward your good feedback to our staff, this will motivate our team to keep beeing that attentive and helpful all season long!

I´m sorry about the inconvenience caused by the security guard,

Reviewed 25 July 2014

We were a group of four hens in our late 30s and had a brilliant time. Food was excellent and drinks on all inclusive was such good value. Really recommend it but not so much for couples or families because it is a party resort!

• Stayed: June 2014
psolaz, Gerente at Universal Hotel Florida, responded to this reviewResponded 26 July 2014

Dear AmieCa,

Thank you very much for your comments about food, drinks and the hotel and thank you also for letting us be a part of your holidays here in Magaluf.

Hope to see you in once again netx year to share with us your experience.

Reviewed 25 July 2014

Originally my mate and I were staying in Hostal Villa Sol which belongs to Hotel Florida but that place was so bad that we had to move after 2 nights of our week in Magaluf. We had to pay an extra 155 euros each but it was totally worth it as this also included breakfast and dinner. We couldn't believe our room when we opened the door. It overlooked the hotel pool and the sea and I'm not one for views but this was a nice one. There was a fan in the room which helped a bit with the heat there was also a TV for when you had enough of the sun. The only thing missing was a fridge but you could manage. It is at the top of the hill about 4-5 minutes walk from the strip so the location was great. There was also an ant problem in the bathroom so at least they stayed in there mostly but the cleaners came round everyday and usually sorted that out as well as changing the towels and doing the beds. The paid wifi didn't work great in the room but was fine in the main lobby.

Room Tip: Ask for a sea view room if possible
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Brian W

Dear Brian,

Thank you so much for your kind words and for your comments about the Hotel, it help us improve, we are grateful that the next days in Hotel Florida were satisfactory for you.

We are very sorry about the room,

We hope that we will get to see you back with us sometime in the future.

Best regards

José Solaz ( Director)

Reviewed 24 July 2014

This was the second girls holiday that I have been on in Magaluf and this hotel made it my worst experience to date.

Firstly, on arrival we were greeted by a rude receptionist who tried flirting with us and sarcastically said "he had picked out a room especially for 4 girls to stay in", even though we had booked 2 sea view rooms in November. When we arrived into this "special room" we was greeted by ants, dust and mould and further inspection of this room we discovered that there were 4 beds pushed together with a dirty bathroom and towels and the smallest shower basin I have seen, this was impossible to share between 4 girls.

We then went down to the reception and explained this was not what we paid for and demanded we have 2 rooms with a sea view in 24 hours of which he gave us free wifi which never worked within the hotel. We decided to try and not let this ruin our holiday to then be greeted by the manager at the hotel who practically laughed in our face when we said we couldn't get in our room and that he couldn't do anything about it.

The next day we went back to reception to make sure there was going to be a room for us in the morning to have been told it will be ready by 12pm, we turned up at 12.30pm to be told it wasn't going to be ready by at least 2.30pm we eventually got in the room at 3pm baring in mind we couldnt unpack until we got into our room. Whilst at the reception desk trying to get this sorted we overheard another group of girls trying to check in and the receptionist doing exactly the same!!

Secondly, the food, I was surprised by the food as lots of previous reviews had stated that the food was great for all inclusive. Not this time... I bit into a chicken leg and it was RED!! This put me off having any of the meats and seeing other people picking up the food with their fingers and putting it back was disgusting.

Thirdly, the pool, Except from all the ants around the sunbeds the pool was clean and the pool bar staff were very friendly. It was good too see some entertainment on every other night and Aqua Gym every Wednesday and Saturday. There were plenty of sunbeds but you had to be up by the latest 9.15am to get a sunbed round the pool.

I am not one to complain about little things at the hotels I stay in but this was disappointing and ruined the start of our holiday.

Room Tip: Sea view room is a must. Try and get a room on the lower floors if you have trouble using steps as...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Emma B

Dear Emma,

Firstly of all my apologies for the unfortunate reception you had in the hotel, and the problems you had with the rooms, it's true as you say that the first night you was in one room 712 which is a quadruple room.
We also offered two separate rooms in the other building both with sea view, but you told the Recepction Manager that you wanted to be together.
So it was agreed to spend the first night in the room mentioned above, the next day you received two rooms as you booked (303 and 304) with sea views, at 15:00 h. Because of the movement we had this day at the hotel, the customers left the rooms at 12 noon, and then the housekeepers had to clean the many rooms they had.

Regarding the comment about me the Hotel Manager, I will say that I'm a pretty outgoing person and perhaps there was a missunderstanding with me laughing at you, I can assure you that was not my intention, but if you think so, I ask you to please forgive me and this experience will also help me for next time.

It is true that we have very good reviews with the food, we actually have 6 themed nights, and I'm really sorry that you had a bad experience with the food too but I do appreciate the positive feedback regarding the bar staff and entaertainment.

Once again I apologize for the bad experience you have had in the hotel.

Best Regards

Reviewed 23 July 2014

Stayed here towards the start of June for a lads holiday, only 4 of us. The friendly staff at reception welcomed us, I think the lady who checked us in was Laura, she made us feel welcomed as soon as we got there.

Location: Excellent location, a 5 minute walk to the main strip but out of the way enough so your not in the middle of the noise and rowdiness. (Be warned there is a really steep hill on the way to the strip but it’s not too bad after a few drinks!)

Food: good food, nothing bad to say, good selection everyday. Different theme each night.

Staff: All staff were extremely welcoming and friendly especially the girls on reception and the manager who welcomes everybody to breakfast lunch and dinner with a big smile and hearty handshake.

Room: normal hotel room, nothing special, it’s as you expect from a hotel. We had a sea view and the view was AMAZING. Definitely recommend getting a sea view for a bit more money. The wi-fi we had to pay for but was very fast and a strong connection.

It was my brother’s birthday during our stay and on his birthday the hotel sent us a complimentary bottle of champagne in an ice bucket with champagne flutes, this was a nice touch to add to the holiday to make it special.

Overall excellent hotel, friendly staff and good location. Would definitely recommend to anyone.

Room Tip: Get a balcony room with sea view rather than facing the road, it makes it so much better to have the...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Sanjeev D

Dear Sanjeev,

First of all thanks for taking the time to give your opinion about the Hotel Florida and our Staff on Tripadvisor.

For us your opinion is very important, it helps us improve and also helps other customers know what they will find when they book our hotel.

We hope that we will get to see you back with us sometime in the future.

Once again Thank you so much

Kind Regards

Reviewed 22 July 2014

stayed in October with husband, daughter and boyfriend in two rooms and it was supposed to be a quality family holiday but we had to drive away from the hotel and resort every day because the hens and stags gathered around the pool with embarrassing language shouting to each other and from terrace to terrace throwing condoms and cigarette filters and we were disgusted, and the resort was all that and worse.

Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
psolaz, Gerente at Universal Hotel Florida, responded to this reviewResponded 25 July 2014

Dear Karen

i'm really sorry about your experience in the Hotel, when you booked your holidays you probably didn't know or they didn't advise you what the resort of magaluf is like, it is mainly recommended for young people not really for families, but any way we try to do our best to keep the levels of noise down so every one in the hotel can enjoy the holidays thats why this year we have became an only adults Hotel and we have put security staff also during the day, there is also certain months when this could be worst.
Once again my apologies