“Not a family hotel”

Ranked #8 of 27 Hotels in Magaluf
Wales
“Not a family hotel”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 July 2013 via mobile

Having previously stayed at the now sol wavehouse hotel in which I did not find the noise from clubs disturbed me (probably due to the fact the rooms overlook the beach), we decided to book this hotel as it had the added extra of the theme park (as it was myself, my husband and our 13 year old).

The theme park was nice enough but can probably only fill a couple of hours at most. The hotel itself is nice enough inside and kept clean. The rooms were adequate although a small fridge would be nice. The beds were fine and comfortable but only singles pushed together (so no doubles). Small balcony but adequate enough. Air con lovely. Maid service daily to make beds and replace towels (very nice maid with curly, short blonde hair).

The food was nice with a good variety of fruit, hot, salads and desserts. We were half board but no drinks were included with evening meal.

We were in room 205 which directly overlooked BCMs. By night three the lack of sleep was becoming an issue but no other rooms were available on the other side which overlooked the hotel entrance which would have been quieter. I am deaf in one ear but the bass permeated through the pillow and the screaming from club goers in the early hours still disturbed us. I could have coped with this but the noise from people returning to their rooms were what disturbed us most. I can understand this hotel getting bad reviews as the doors offer no soundproofing at all. Therefore the security would need to step in as as a guest I would not relish confronting intoxicated people who are making too much noise in the corridors. Three nights running we were all woken with a very annoying girl shouting her friends name in our hallway trying to locate her room (4/5 am). I would have appreciated security asking her to respect other hotel users (although I understand some may be heavy handed I never saw any of that as I was in at a decent time).

I did find the pools a bit smaller than expected although there were three (one kidney shaped, a smaller round pool and the children's pool). I would have loved a non smoking section as we were constantly breathing in other peoples smoke even when we moved several times, not the hotels fault but a separate section would be nice. Also, a Bit of up to date music to add atmosphere around the pool would be good (s club 7 and abba got a bit tiring).

If you are looking for a hotel that is close to the beach, strip and BCMS and if you're intending to use the clubs then this is a good hotel. I would not recommend this hotel for anyone who wants a good nights sleep or for families (although the guests were quieter throughout the day). The hotel itself is nice but it's inevitable that it's more suited to the clubbing crowds.

• Stayed July 2013
1 Thank Wales4
Patricia_TB, Director General at Sol Katmandu Park & Resort, responded to this review, 3 August 2013
Thank you very much for your comments and remarks about our hotel. We’ve been struggling with the noise issue you had mentioned for a long time. It is partially caused by the location of the hotel and our current clientele. However starting with this year we’re trying to improve the situation as much as possible as we’re becoming a family hotel. First of all next year all rooms will be upgraded and new, soundproof windows will be installed to protect guests from the noisy surroundings of the hotel and so typical in a holiday area. Therefore there will be more families/couples next year. We also have a security service that works round the clock.
We’re sorry it wasn’t possible to change your room to a quitter one as at this time of the year the hotel is indeed full.
Next year rooms will be divided into 3 types (connecting, standard and superior) and since we’ll become a 4 star hotel a hair-dryer and a fridge will be included. Pool area will be rebuilt too. Unfortunately we can’t forbid guests to smoke outside near the pools, but we will think about your comments to look for a solution. In general next year hotel Sol Katmandu will be a much quieter place but with more attractions and rides in the park which will be expanded almost twice in size. That’s why since noise was the major disturbing you issue we invite you to become our guest once more after the improvements we’ll make. With new windows, installed cameras and security we guarantee you a healthy sleep!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (255)
  • Czech first
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
London, England, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 July 2013

i have just returned today from a weekend break at this hotel which up untill saturday night was a very pleasant stay. unfortunately the holiday was ruined when my sons and nephews were physically attacked by the hotel securiry guards with batons in thehotel reception witnessed by mothers and fathers with their children.i complained to the hotel reception and said security staff when i was made aware oft the situation and was verbally abused which as an oap was very upsetting. the following day at a meeting with the hotel manager patricia a garcia we were informed that our only recourse was to lodge a formal report with the local police which was impractable as we were leaving that day and we did not speak spanish and i am sure the local police would not have spoken english. i really can not recommend this hotel to anybody.

6 Thank l1zardl1ps
Dear Guest,

We work with the same security company for a lot of years and never have had a problem of abuses. Spanish law is very serious with these kind of issues. When a guest come to any hotel employee denouncing an aggression done by another client, a friend, a couple, etc…our obligation is to recommend them to go to the police, since we are not law authority. We cannot report as we have not been damaged. In the police departments of the area there is people that speak English, and also there are translator services. From the hotel we have to give these directions.
Non of my guest have never report to the police one of the security guards that work here. Is true that they are here to control and to avoid bad behaviors, but always with respect and if people keep out of control, what we do is call the police, what sometimes impolite and wild guest do understand as an abuse.
It is a shame that hotels must have security guards to protect clients, but in a hotel with capacity for 1.000 clients, we cannot expect everybody to behave according to the rule and the law and I rather have a security team to protect my clients from these bad guests, the ones are exceptions, than leave the situation out of control.
Dundee
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 July 2013

The hotel was excellent and the food was great , towels changed every day and room cleaned daily.We had to go to bed about 11pm to get at least a few hours sleep before the racket started nearly every night at about 3 am until about 6am by the groups of youngsters coming out of pubs and nightclubs returning to the hotel.The free entry to the park was excellent we went in twice.I unfortunately would not recommend the hotel for children simply because of the noise during the night.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Allison D
Dear Allison,

Thanks a lot for your comments and remarks! We’re glad that overall impression of the hotel was good despite the noise problem. Next time if you have troubles with noisy youngsters we suggest you just call to the reception and then either one of our employees or a security guard will come upstairs to calm them down. Our policy is very strict concerning such matters.
Therefore our hotel will be a much more peaceful place.
Together with these changes we will renovate our rooms and divide them in 3 types: connecting, standard and superior. We will rebuild pools and add attractions. There will be a lot of changes! For children we’re going to build a 450 square meters playground.
We’re looking forward to see you again at our hotel and we will do our best to deliver you unforgettable holiday
Scotland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 July 2013

Hotel and pool are ok but this place is for the young team not a family hotel.
Sol Katmandu next door is well worth a look and included in hotel so it is free.
Location right at the back of BCM night club that goes on all night that you can live with, but when it closes the hotel comes alive with people trying to break the doors down to get in the room.
Would not return because of this although hotel it's self was fine.
Cleaned daily.

4 Thank G3VVW
Patricia_TB, Director General at Sol Katmandu Park & Resort, responded to this review, 12 September 2013
Dear Guest,
I apologize for the inconvenience that you have been suffered during your stay by noise. In contrast I see that you liked the park and housekeeping service, so you'll be pleased to know that after the beginning of the season a bit noisy, things are a lot calmer. We are having very positive feedback from all the families who visit us.
And next year we start with 100% family hotel of 4 **** completely renovated and more attractions for the whole family. Any kind of misbehavior will be censored immediately.
Liverpool, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 July 2013 via mobile

Came here 8th July for 10 days and had a great time, don't listen to reviews about security we had no problems and we weren't quiet. Sorry but if your a family why would you go to magaluf you idiots? And if your a couple who don't want noise why stay opposite bcm you absolute wet nuggets. Food was ok but the cantina smelt like cheesey fish. If your all inclusive the lager Is cruzcampo. More barmen are needed to lowe tthe ques. Some nights the ques were that long we just paid 8 euros to go to capitol on the strip for a free bar for an hour. Katmandu is a laugh aswell when your hanging makes your freak out. Once again all you family people should have more common sense, the reviews you have written look like your on come fly with me or little Britain.

Rooms were kept clean everyday by good maids nothing robbed

• Stayed July 2013
1 Thank jayreynolds0910
Dear Jay,
I'm glad you had a good stay with us. However I would like to inform you that from next year the hotel becomes 100% family hotel. We will not allow any bad behavior. On the first warning will be removed from the hotel. We will not allow some kind of behavior in front of children. I think it's completely understandable and logical.
Nottingham, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 July 2013

I have been to magalluf many times and was wary staying at the old magaluf Park.
It is now Sol Katmandu and has been upgraded a bit.I have stayed with the Melia group several times now.
The rooms were a bit small but I am more use to an apartment.
The rooms were cleaned every day and towells changed whenever dirty.
The aircon in my room worked really well, thank God!
I found the staff very polite and all my requests were met.
I stayed B&B and the food was outstanding for the money, I could not fault anything and I would stay again for sure
Well done Melia.

Room Tip: make polite requests and things get sorted! request higher floor at front of hotel if prefer quiet
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Steven W
Dear Steven,

Thank you for your comments and kind words about our hotel. We’re very glad that you’ve enjoyed your stay. It is true we’ve done some upgrades this year but many more changes are planned for the next year. We will keep renovating and rebuilding the hotel. The rooms will be improved and divided into 3 types (connecting, standard and superior rooms), pool area will be rebuilt completely. We will also add some wonderful attractions!
You’re welcomed to come next year and try everything new we will have to offer. And we will be glad to give you enjoyable and memorable holiday once again.
London
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 July 2013

Right first of all I was worried because of how close it is to BCM square and let me tell you it might as well be above it.
I went with my hubby and 10 year old as it was sold to us as a family resort with no same sex groups allowed - well that was the first lie, young drunks all over the building day and night - childrens club well it wasnt worth it my son and another little girl were the only ones there and you can only paint for so long bless them. the food was good yes it was repeated but it was good expecially the variety of fish and fruit. But as for this hotel being sold as a family resort its all lies - yes you have access to Katmandu house but why would you want to visit it more than once, i didnt understand it and was really disappointed as I have stayed at Sol Mirlos twice and expected the same - we were also sold a double double bedroom what was double double about it i dont knnow it had a double bed and a single bed talk about cramped - the shower was old - and the walls were so think you could hear stuff plonking into the toilet, never mind any other activities. Never again and I wouldnt recommend it unless you want to sit round a pool being really quiet cos everyone has a hangover - no pool games, the families withthe kids left the hotel each morning and didnt come back until night time even if they were all inclusive.

9 Thank Fatima E
Thank you very much for your comments about our hotel. We are very sorry to hear that you have been so much dissatisfied by your stay with us. However we’d like to clear up the situation a little bit. This year we’ve started to change our hotel into a family-oriented one. That’s why right now we’re in the process of transition.
As for the activities for kids next year we will also open a 450 square meters playground. New attractions will be added, pool area rebuilt and Katmandu Park expanded.
We will also remake the rooms. They will be of a new design and divided into 3 types: connecting, standard and superior rooms.
We hope that despite your previous experience you will come again to our hotel and see and try all the changes we have planned.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Magaluf
Sol Wave House Hotel
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,044 reviews
Hotel Samos
Hotel Samos
#3 of 27 in Magaluf

Been to Sol Katmandu Park & Resort? Share your experiences!