“DONT STAY HERE.”

Ranked #8 of 27 Hotels in Magaluf
Donaghadee
“DONT STAY HERE.”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 July 2014

We went to this hotel as we were under the impression that it was family orientated due to the free pass to the theme park for each day of your stay. The hotel itself was clean and compact but comfortable and the cleaning staff were faultless. We stayed for 7 nights and I seriously would doubt that I would ever go back there if they even paid me. The hotel staff were rude, and how they can advertise this as a family hotel is beyond me.

We were on the 6th floor, and put into a room next to 3 girls who found it hilarious to flash at passers by anytime between 3am and 7am, and shriek and yell until we were woken up, and subsequently up for the day. After 2 nights, we reported this to reception who told us that if it happened again, to phone the night staff. No concern for the bother this caused, and clearly 2 nights of broken sleep is not enough to warrant complaint. The showers didn't work properly. Either your were scalded or at risk of developing hypothermia. We asked for a fridge for our room, and after 3 days of telling them that it didn't bloody work, they replaced it and plugged it into a socket that was also broken. I also noticed that the pool wasn't exactly clean, but was nice enough for a swim if you didn't mind sharing the water with cigarette butts and other foreign items.

On the second to last day of our stay, water started to pour out through the ceiling of our bathroom which we reported to reception who said that they would send someone up, and then hung up. The same thing happened when I asked if somebody had handed my sons shorts in as they had obviously fallen from the balcony. The receptionist also hung up.

The theme park itself was ok, but if you get the tag, don't take it off because even though once on, it can't be taken off again and getting the hotel to issue another one, is futile.

The breakfast food was a pleasant experience and probably the only thing that was decent about this hotel. They had a brilliant array of food and it all tasted lovely. The staff in the breakfast room were also pleasant. There is food for breakfast to suit every palate.

On the last evening (Sunday), we inquired at reception if we could rent the room for the next day (Monday) for a few hours as our flight was not until midnight. We were advised that they would do this but could only book it in the morning after breakfast. We were then told by the same pompous man that this was not possible at all. So we had to amble around Magaluf with our disabled son for hours, finally stopping at Finnegan's around the corner which is the best place in Magaluf. Brilliant place and had it been a hotel, I would have much rather stayed there.

I only wish that I had read the reviews here before I booked the holiday. Never again. Overall, rude, arrogant and didn't give too hoots about the guests.

Room Tip: I would advise families to choose a room in a different hotel.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
5 Thank C D
Patricia_TB, Director General at Sol Katmandu Park & Resort, responded to this review, 16 August 2014
Dear C D,

I would like to thank you for the time you spent to share your opinion with us and we really appreciate all your comments about us, as they help us to improve the service that we offer our guests. I would also like to thank you for mentioning that you enjoyed our breakfast.

I would like to apologize if your stay with us was not pleasant for you. We are very sorry for all the issues that happened in our hotel. Please next time you visit us do not hesitate and contact our guest service department, they will help you with any issue they can as our final intention is you to enjoy your holidays with us.

I would like to mention that all of our pools are cleaned up every day with all the chemical products to disinfect it. Furthermore, we check the chlorine and Ph levels two times per day, due to Health and Sanity reasons and we have an external service hired to come and do water analysis (unexpected days always) and never have had a problem.

About the night, we have during the night two security guards who can help you with any issue you may have, you only have to contact the reception from your room, because their duty is to look after a good coexistence between all our guests.

It would be a pleasure to welcome you again at the Sol Katmandú Park & Resort, to make your stay with us a wonderful holiday.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (255)
  • Czech first
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
West Yorkshire
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 July 2014

My hubby and I stayed at Sol Katmandu again in June 2014 for 2 weeks. Had excellent holiday but what a big change. Yes do a hotel up but a lot different than before. Asked for floor 10 as before but offered 8, yes room ok but could have been better. No telephone cable and no batteries in remote for TV. Provided same day as we reported. Wardrobe doors had a mind of their own, wouldn't stay shut had to stick my slippers in to stop coming open. Cleaned lovely every day, a couple of days the towels were so old that they actually had a foisty smell once wet. Agreeing with lots of the other new reviews,200+ Spanish students everywhere, this should not be allowed as a group booking. They did take over but as we don't stay in the hotel in the day or evening, didn't actually bother us. After brekky which is lovely, lots of choice as usual, we head for the beach, cant do with the pool area, with swarking kids (all kids should be in school when we visit) After evening meal, we head out, never stay in the hotel, lots of nice bars out there in magaluf, not all for the young ones. (we are fairly old but young in our minds! ) Get out and about and have a walk around, lots of nice inviting bars out there for young and old. Don't listen to everyone slagging Magaluf off, it is for all ages. We have been going for 15 years now and never seen any bother, admit a few drunken people, but no bother. People who slag Magaluf off, 99% of them haven't even been there! One bar to visit is the Piano bar up near Sol Guadalupe, lovely bar for people watching and excellent staff, been there for years now and always welcomed every night by Carlos and his staff. So polite and hard working. Also visit the Plaza, changed this year as the resident trio had disappeared and replaced by Tribute bands, most of which were rubbish but quite entertaining especially Abba, who were quite funny too. All the staff in there still the same, friendly and welcoming, one of the best plush bars in Magaluf. Not sure whether we will go back next year to Katmandu as probably based on familys now with the theme park etc.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
6 Thank jazzyjenny
Dear Jazzyjenn,

Thank you very much for sharing your feedback with us. I would also like to thank you for highlighting our cleanness and our lovely breakfast.

About the group of Spanish students, they came to our hotel with the intention of having fun at the Katmandú Park; I would also like to add that during their stay, we intensified all our security measures in order to look after the appropriated atmosphere of our guests.

However, I would like to thank you for your opinion because it helps us to consider if we are in the right direction as our intention is to be a family hotel, because the duty of their trip, enjoy a theme park, is different in your eyes perception and we care of comments like yours. Moreover, all your feedbacks make us improve the service that we offer our guests and we strive to insure your stay with us is as pleasant as possible.

It would be a great pleasure to welcome you again for a 13th time in the Sol Katmandú Park and Resort, and make yours a wonderful stay with us.
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 July 2014 via mobile

I have read many reviews on here . Here is mine which is an honest one.. We stayed here for 7 days at the end of June. Hotel is great for family's with the theme park the kids and adults entertainment is brilliant and the food was really nice and of a good standard. The one downside is the large groups of young lads and girls comming in late at night and making such a noise in the corridors !.. So don't expect a deep sleep !.. The hotel needs to decide what kind of customer it wants because it's the only thing that would stop me booking this hotel again in the future !Rooms were clean and of a good standard. All in all I would recommend this hotel but be prepared for broken sleep.

Stayed July 2014
7 Thank Petehill1188
Dear Petehill1,

First of all, I would like to thank you for spending part of your time to write a review about us. I would also like to thank you for mentioning our good food.
We want to be a family hotel, that is the reason why we had initiated such an innovative project in Mallorca, as you saw when you stayed with us, with the Katmandú park, the refurbishment of our rooms and all the activities that we have for the children, so all the families can have an unforgettable stay with us.

However, in such a big hotel, we cannot assure what kind of clients are cheking in in advace as happens in any other hotel. Because of that, we count on a security team to assure a zero tolerance policy with bad behavior.

I would like to thank you again for your opinion because it helps us to consider if we are in the right direction as our intention is to be a family hotel. Moreover, all your feedbacks make us improve the service that we offer our guests and we strive to insure your stay with us is as pleasant as possible.

We hope to see you again soon with us.
Suffolk, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 June 2014

When we arrived at this hotel it was 1pm, reception was crowded for check in we had to wait and hour and a half before even reaching the front of the queue! When we reached the front and queried why we had been waiting so long the response of the staff was 'busy day you know' not a slight care or concern that we had been waiting for so long.

When we finally checked in were was told our room was then not ready for check in so more waiting!! After a further hour, we had a room 719 which was small for a twin room the third bed was just a pop up! However the room was very clean and cleaned on a daily basis.

The showers were such hard work, temperature was hot/cold within seconds and a dribble from the shower head. One morning we had no water completely, after asking at reception they just said could be 5 mins could be an hour and had no clue what had happened!

The food was faultless, every meal there was different choice and everything was cooked perfectly!

The location of this hotel was perfect for our age 21-22 right in the centre of the night life, there was a mixed age range at this hotel and we never had any problems with noise! There was security on the doors at night which would help to control who is entering the hotel!

They have spent a lot of money on refurbishing this hotel, however they need to still concentrate on the customer service because without this it's pointless spending so much money on the grounds!

Personally I wouldn't return to this hotel just because the staff don't seem to care about the guests, we were just fobbed off whenever we had questions with the next excuse on the list.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
3 Thank jennalouis
Dear Jennalouis,

Thank you very much for spending part of your time to write a review about us. I would also like to thank you for highlighting the good food, our good location and our security.

I would like to apologize if your stay with us was not pleasant for you. However, I would like to thank you for your opinion because it helps us to consider if we are in the right direction as our intention is to be a family hotel and we care of comments like yours. Moreover, all your feedbacks make us improve the service that we offer our guests and we strive to insure your stay with us is as pleasant as possible.

It would be a pleasure to welcome you again at the Sol Katmandú Park and Resort and make your holidays be the best ever.
Dublin, Ireland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 June 2014

Stayed here last year,Great Holiday,from start to Finish.On Returning in June this year,I'm afraid I found the Hotel a very different place for Families.My Daughter Hubby and 2Babies 1and 3 had to be moved rooms 3 times,and my other Daughter had to move Room once,And This was Basically down to This Family Hotel,as Advertised???Booking in 400 Of the Rudest Spanish Students I've ever come across.Myself and my Husband were on the 9th floor,no problem with Room,but Every night we had to Ring Reception,over the Carry on of the 3Adjoining room,with Drunkin Spanish Students.Throwing Lit Cigarretes over Balcony,that landed on my Lap,and we had a Sleeping Baby in her Buggy next to me,We all made Complaints,But we were offered to change Htls..??why should we!When that's where my Grandchildren wanted to be,Overall I Cannot Express my Gratitude to the Entertainers,who make this Htl,what it is...Fab Htl,but Seriousley need to Consider,"Families "or "People" that want to cause Havoc !!!!!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
4 Thank Cinta314
Dear Cinta314,

Thank you very much for spending part of your time to write a review about us. After some investigation I found out that during your stay you and your family was speaking with the Guest Service department and they offered you different solutions.

About the group of students, who were located on the 1st, 2nd and 3rd floors, they came to our hotel with the intention of having fun at the Katmandú Park. I would also like to add that during their stay we intensified all our security measures in order to seek the welfare of our guests.

However, I would like to thank you for your opinion because it helps us to consider if we should contract this kind of groups, because the duty of their trip, enjoy a theme park, is different in your eyes perception. Moreover, all your feedbacks make us improve the service that we offer our guests and we strive to insure your stay with us is as pleasant as possible.

It would be a great pleasure to welcome you again in the Sol Katmandú Park and Resort and try to make yours a wonderful stay.
Sudbury, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 June 2014 via mobile

Where do I start...?
Upon arrival, we waited for a huge 1 hour and 20 minutes even though there were only 2 groups in front of us. This was due to a couple of obvious things, the staff were shockingly slow and checking people in, there were no clear signs showing where to queue so people were butting in the queues left, right and centre! When we eventually got to the check in desk I asked the clerk what the excuse was for making so few people wait such a ridiculous time? His response was "busy day, you know?" No apology, nothing! I told him that wasn't good enough so he then said the rooms weren't ready! (It was roughly 2pm at this point). I asked why he wasted our time letting us stand in a queue for that long if he knew the rooms weren't ready! I said you should have come out and told us, offered to put our bags away and suggested we explore the area! His answer was "I know" to which I said "clearly now, or your would have done that wouldn't you?!" This useless clerk was just the beginning....
When we got up to the room it was the smallest hotel room I have ever seen! The shower temperature went from freezing cold to scolding hot every 5 seconds! There are four lifts and only 2 work! They don't let you have a drink with breakfast or dinner when your half board, when you bring in your own bottle of water they take it from you at the door so you you cannot have any drink with food! Our bathroom door didn't shut! There are only a handful of umbrellas available around the pool and when its 30 degrees is not sufficient! Sol Katmandu is without a doubt the worst hotel I have had the displeasure of staying at.
Holiday was 3 female friends staying between 22nd june 2014 - 27th june 2014.

Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
5 Thank Harriett K
Dear Hariett,

Thank you very much for taking the time to write a review about us. All the comments like yours help us to improve the service that we offer our guest. I would also like to apologize if your stay with us was not as pleasant as you expected.
Concerning the drinks at the restaurant, it is not our decision, it is forbidden by law to introduce any kind of drinks in any restaurant or at the hotel which were not bought at the same place.

The half board only includes the meals, as in the most of hotels, but we always give our guests the option to upgrade to All Inclusive, with unlimited consumption of soft drinks, concentrated juices, hot and cold drinks, tubes of ice-cream, a selection of cocktails, and national alcoholic drinks.

About the check in, our official check in time is at 2 pm following the international touristic law. However, if we have free rooms before 2 pm, we always allow the ckeck in as soon as the room is ready. The reason for this is that when you book a room in a hotel, you can stay at it until 12, after the guest has check out, we have to clean and disinfect all the room to be perfect for the next client. Please next time you visit us, if there is any issue you may have, contact our reception or guests service department, as they are always there to help our guests.
Chester, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 June 2014 via mobile

My daughter just stayed at this hotel, she left the do not disturbed sign on the door every day so no one entered the room! Yet the cleaners decided to enter the room anyway! She returned to find the room cleaned & all her belongings out on the side minus her debit card! spoke to the hotel management immediately, completely not interested! Told her they would speak to staff the following day! She told them she had no cash & was alone there, they shrugged there shoulders & walked away! Discussting!!!!!

• Stayed June 2014
8 Thank lianne b
Dear Lianne b,

Thank you very much for spending part of your time to write a review about us. I am sorry if the stay of your daughter was not as pleasant as she expected. In case an issue like this happens to you again in any hotel I recommend you to contact the reception of the hotel, and they will give you the recommendations in case you want to make any claim to police.
In our hotel we always have at the disposal of our guests, the police claims, to fill in and make everything easier to our customers.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Magaluf
Sol Wave House Hotel
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,044 reviews
Hotel Samos
Hotel Samos
#3 of 27 in Magaluf

Been to Sol Katmandu Park & Resort? Share your experiences!