“Katmandu The Truth.”

Ranked #8 of 28 Hotels in Magaluf
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
“Katmandu The Truth.”
Reviewed 21 August 2014

Reception - took nearly one hour to check two families in. Rooms were clearly not ready and staff couldn't have cared about the fact you had stood so long.They were so rude!

Rooms. Despite asking for a new room around 5 weeks prior to travel,I was given an old room that faces BCM square. Even when asking for a new room , I was told a minimum price of 77 euros to have a new room would apply.There was barley no room to swing a cat yet alone house 3 people in the room. The room was from the seventies with old fittings and plugs hidden to stop you charging your phone etc. if you're room is on the hotel entrance side you will get woken up every morning around 4 am by screaming 18-30 crowd. Believe me when I say this , as if you have children, you will find out. You have been warned. Ask for a new room on the park side of the hotel. (Good luck with that). Room did have a small flat screen with bbc 1 and bbc 2. These went off after 2days and never came back on . Small detail I know , but the Spanish or German TV never went off . Couldn't unpack suitcases as room to small .Hot water went off for one day and was told you have to put up with it like the rest of the Hotel.beds weren't changed the full week even though the room was cleaned daily. Paper thin walls and you can here everything from either side of you. I mean everything !!

All inclusive - worst I have ever had and you have to a premium for most things. Even if you upgrade to ai gold for 10 euros per day you still have to pay extra for bottled beer etc. The ai draught beer was known as The Paint Stripper around the hotel. Nowhere near enough staff serving at any time day or night. Spanish always served first.

Food - breakfast was really good, but that's where it ends. Again , no staff to clear tables etc and plates etc were dirty. There is no snack bar for AI . You can go into dining room and eat the leftovers of breakfast or lunch for a snack. You can't take anything out of dining room and food was really poor.

The park- don't go to this hotel thinking you can go on all the attractions with you free pass. This only covers a small amount of things and yes I'm sure by now you catch my drift - you have to pay extra for use of full park. Waste of money.

Lifts - 4 in total and I found them good with no trouble as suggested by other reports.

Pool Area - was really nice with modern rattan beds. Only has about 5 umbrellas in pool area and you need to be down no later than 8am for a bed or forget it.

Kids club . Staff were great and worked really hard and very friendly. Perhaps they could give the rest of the staff a lesson in customer service.

My tip to you is "do not book " this hotel if you think you are going to a nice 3 - 4 star AI hotel. My advice would be do your research,stay somewhere nice and go to Katmandu park as a trip if you must. This hotel is 2 star at most. Not worth the money you will spend. Do not be taken in by brochure / web site showing fancy room etc . This is not the case.

Apologies if you are due to go soon , but I feel you must know the truth about this hotel and it's rude ,arrogant staff. Spend your money on a decent hotel that cares about the customer. I wished we had . Please note : if you read my other reviews you will see I only tell things exactly the way they are. We went with Jet2 and feel really let down by them . This is a poor hotel . Needs to know what it wants to be .

Room Tip: Face The katmandu resort or you will get no sleep. Do not stay in a room facing BCM sq or you will b...
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
14 Thank jasoer123
Patricia_TB, Director General at Sol Katmandu Park & Resort, responded to this review, 3 September 2014
Dear Jasoer,

First of all I would like to thank you for spending part of your time to write a review about us and send your feedbacks of your stay with us. I would also like to apologize if your stay with us was not as pleasant as you expected.

Moreover, we appreciate all your comments as they help us to improve the service we offer our guests and make them have a great experience with us. All the staff of the Sol Katmandú Park and Resort strives daily to insure that the stay of our guests with us is as pleasant as possible. Please next time you visit us, if there is any issue you may have, contact our reception or guests service department, as they are always there to help our guests.

In relation to your comments about the check in at the hotel, it is true that it takes a bit, but this is because by law we have to take all the personnel details of the people that are staying in our hotel. I know a lot of hotels do not do the process correctly, but we always comply with the law. If you think of it you will realize that is the best for all of us as it is a security measure. All the details are send automatically to the police, and they check them to avoid that any unwanted person can be with us. I would also like to add that our official check in time is at 2 pm following the international touristic law. However, if we have free rooms before 2 pm, we always allow the check in as soon as the room is ready. The reason for this is that when you book a room in a hotel, you can stay at it until 12, after the guest has checked out, we have to clean and disinfect all the room to be perfect for the next client.

About the rooms, as you said we have been carrying out a complete refurbishment in our rooms from the 10th to the 7th floor, and we have updated the rest of our rooms with new televisions, bed linen, mattresses and new decoration. From this year on, apart from the standard rooms, we have family rooms, which are superior rooms, and are provided with mini fridge and hairdryer. Concerning your requests of a new room, we always try to satisfy all the requests of our guests but there are subjected to availability.
In relation to the All Inclusive, this board includes unlimited consumption of soft drinks, bottled juices, hot and cold drinks, tubes of ice-cream, a selection of cocktails, and national alcoholic drinks. The snacks are served during the day at the Restaurant, where you can find sandwiches, hamburgers, chips, a variety of desserts and sweets, fresh fruits, ice cream, etc. being all of them fresh, we have a totally different offer in our snacks than at the breakfast or at the lunch.
About the free pass to Katmandú Park all our guests can enjoy of unlimited entry to several attractions of the park from 10 am to 18 pm with the Play Pass Wristband. All this information is given to all our guests on their arrival, and it is also advertised in our website and in the websites of the different travel agencies that we work with.
I would like to apologize again if your stay with us was not pleasant for you. It would be a pleasure to welcome you again at the Sol Katmandú Park and Resort to try to improve your last experience with us and make your stay with us a great holiday.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (287)
  • Czech first
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
Blackwood, Wales, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 August 2014

FOR THE KIDS

Firstly a BIG thankyou to the Kids Club Staff and entertainment Team they all really work hard, long days yet still have great fun and enthusiasm, making an effort with every child and parent and really good fun. Also the lifeguard team in the Splash Park are great fun with the kids, joining in the fun yet still watching every move. Our girls loved them.

The Theme park included is fab with lots going on e.g. splash park, 4d cinema shows, the house,massive a/c soft play area, huge mini golf etc, it also has some other entries such as zombies/asylum/huge climbing facilities but be aware these come at an additional charge. We didn't pay for golf but heard a few people a/I were, however most of park free before 6pm which is a great addition to the hotel and breaks the day up. Food and drinks here are not A/I.

Park lovely sandy area in shade in the afternoon which is great.

Pools area kept spotlessly clean, although don't bother attempting to get a spot until after 4pm, Beat the bed hoarders and go when its less crowded in the late evening, you'll get a bed and avoid the lobster look! The splash park a better daytime bet for a seat or some shade at least.

ROOMS

The rooms are immaculately clean and modern and towels were changed daily, only downside is the french doors on the 9th floor, no real lock and with easy access to tables and chairs its to scary to turn your back for a few moments with young children. A/c great and does help drown out the noise, if you've come for peace and quiet don't expect the nightlife to quieten until about 6.30am. You are right opposite the main strip and clubs. That said a full day with the kids we still slept!

Beaches

Gorgeous and plenty to choose from just a short walk away. If you want to avoid the smell and grotty walk through Magaluff, head for Palma nova or Mattier beach a short walk from the park entrance, with loads of clean parks, restaurants, chill out bars geared for families, couples, and those looking for a more relaxed evening... best beach time after 5pm.

If its trash and carnage you are after.........well its right on the doorstop.........you can take it or leave it depending on which direction you leave the hotel and what type of holiday your after.

Over all a fab holiday, few improvements would be clean plates and cutlery desperately needed, really off putting...a sign that staff are rushed off their feet and constantly busy. Also working extremely long days. Very crowded and peak times expect to clean yourself a table space etc if you want to eat. Very manic rushed feel, glad i'm not the poor restaurant staff.

Breakfast and evening meals offer something for all, but limited drinks available and with only one bar open most of the day expect to queue for 30 minutes, also only allowed 2 drinks at a time, even water! Means having to drag other members of family with you. We ended up going to the shop it was quicker, but beware no drinks/food allowed around pool area. AI is worth it for the park facilities and conveniance of meal times with kids, but if dining is a big part of your ideal holiday go s/c, lots of really cool eateries along the shore line and much nicer atmosphere.

All in all would defo go back to Majorca, but maybe a week enough, you'll definately not get bored.

Room Tip: We slept overlooking the main entrance, 9th floor .Very noisy at night, if you like watching people...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank cerionhols
Patricia_TB, Director General at Sol Katmandu Park & Resort, responded to this review, 25 August 2014
Dear cerionhols,

First of all, I would like to thank you for spending part of your time to write a review about us. We appreciate all your comments as they always help us to improve the services that we offer to all our guests.

I am glad that you and your family had a great time at our Katmandú Park, were all our guests can enjoy of free entrance to several attractions from 10 am until 6pm all the days of the stay with the Play Pass Wristband. As you mention in your review, we give to all our guests the option to upgrade to the Play Pass Gold, with unlimited entrance to all our attractions from 10 am until 1am, except the Golf Expedition which is until 6 pm and after that time they can go to the Golf Fantasía in Palmanova.

I would also like to thank you for pointing out our entertainment team, the cleanness of our rooms, our location which is only 250 meters aways from the beach and our offer in the different meals.

I will transmit all your good comments to all the Katmandú staff. We take note of your feedbacks in order to improve our facilities and the service, as we want all our customers to have the best holidays ever.

It would be a pleasure to welcome you again at the Sol Katmandú Park and Resort!
Magalluf
Reviewed 18 August 2014

I had a great week in Magaluf and at hotel Katmandu sol resort. If i should point my finger at somthing i felt was a bit desturbing was the eating-erea i like to eat and have peace and quiet around me, much people/kids not realy a BIG problem but if should point my finger on somthing it would be that. All in all i had a great time Katmandu with friends. Thank You!

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
Review collected in partnership with Melia Hotels International

1 Thank Jan Petter K
Patricia_TB, Director General at Sol Katmandu Park & Resort, responded to this review, 24 August 2014
Dear Jan Petter,

I would like to thank you for taking part of your time to write a review about us and send us your comments about your stay at the Sol Katmandú Park and Resort.

I am glad that you had a nice stay with us and it would be a pleasure to welcome you again soon.
Coningsby, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 August 2014 via mobile

Just back from a good week in Majorca at the Sol Kathmandu Hotel. Read all the latest Trip Advisor reviews and they are all spot on. Sol Kathmandu you could do so much better by just paying a bit more attention to the details. Room cleanliness....needs to be better. Dinning Room cleanliness......below acceptable standard......dirty plates & cockroaches.....get it sorted!! All inclusive should mean all inclusive.....not only certain things and then charging your guests for extras. Room safe €21, hairdryer €12, WiFi additional charges.....all you want is money, there's no consideration for guests. The beer is cheap and nasty, the spirits are cheap and nasty, the wine is so bad it is undrinkable.......even the drinking water is warm!! Only permitting 2 drinks to be ordered at any one time is ridiculous....for a family of five, I had to queue at the bar 3 time just to get my wife and 3 children a drink. Can I also suggest you uphold your Sun Lounger policy and remove towels from unused loungers as if you don't make it to the pool before 8.30am you will not get a lounger. Sol Kathmandu....you have the potential to be a top 3star hotel if you stop ripping off your guests and pay particular attention to the details. I would hazard a guess that fewer than 5% of the guests who stayed at your hotel this year would ever book with you again.....as a business I would not find that acceptable. You have the potential.......but I personally wasn't overly impressed and I won't be returning again!!

Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
4 Thank Logonlogan442
Dear Logonlogan,
First of all I would like to thank you for taking part of your time to write a review about us and this way send us your feedbacks about your recent stay at our hotel Sol Katmandú Park and Resort.
About the All Inclusive, this type of board is always referred to the food and beverages in the hotel at the bar and at the restaurant, with unlimited consumption of soft drinks, bottled juices, hot and cold drinks, tubes of ice-cream, a selection of cocktails, and national alcoholic drinks and the breakfast, lunch, dinner and snacks.
I would like to mention that our WIFI is free of charge and is in the hall of the hotel .
However, we appreciate all your comments as they help us to improve the service that we offer to all our guests. Please, the next time you visit us you can contact our Guest Service Department and they will help you with any issue you may have during your stay and they will listen to the suggestions that you have.
It would be a pleasure for us to welcome you again at the Sol Katmandú Park and Resort.
Reviewed 17 August 2014 via mobile

Just home after a week in Katmandu. Checked in around 8 in the evening and no queues so it all went smoothly. There was loads for the kids (16, 11, 10) to do during the day. We upgraded to the gold pass for the mini theme park which allowed us to do the mini golf until 5 and then use the golf resort in palma nova in the evening if we wanted. Both were very good. K3 the climbing frame was really good but had a 140cm height restriction so my 10yo was too small to have a go. Food in the hotel was fine - enough to keep you from being hungry. All the 4D cinema shows were good and the kids went a number of times. The best thing about the hotel was that the theme park was just out the back door so you could go back to avail of the all inclusive drinks. Worst thing about the hotel was a serious lack of air conditioning in the main seating area, restaurant and lifts - was like a sauna especially during the nightly entertainment. Only other point was that there is a very strict 2 drinks per person policy which with 3 adults in our group was a pain! Overall I would recommend the hotel.

Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
5 Thank Tildabear
Dear Tildabear,

Firstly, I would like to thank you for spending part of your time to write a review about us. We care of comments like yours and we take note of them, as they help us to improve the service that we offer all our guests.

I would also like to thank you for pointing out the Katmandú Park, with several attractions included with your stay at the hotel, from 10am until 18pm, and our food.

We hope to see you and your family again with us.
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 17 August 2014

Great hotel - lovely facilities in the newly refurbished rooms - overall the hotel was without fault - no noise from outside was experienced and the other reports about bad behaviour was not experienced

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Melia Hotels International

3 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Patricia_TB, Director General at Sol Katmandu Park & Resort, responded to this review, 19 August 2014
Dear guest,

Thank you very much for taking part of your time to write a review about us. I am glad that you had a nice experience at the Sol Katmandú Park and Resort.

I would also like to thank you for pointing out our facilities from our recently refurbished rooms.
We hope to see you soon again with us.
Reviewed 17 August 2014

We have just returned from Sol Katmandu Magaluf and feel as though the hotel was seriously over-sold to us. Although we are both in the early 20's we do not go away for the clubbing scene and instead like to have relaxing and eventful holidays, such as lazy days by the pool as well as visiting local water parks or other attractions (zoos, theme parks etc.).
With this in mind, our preferred travel provider (who we have used multiple times in the past so know what we like on our holidays), sold us the Sol Katmanudu, telling us that we would be staying on a "Theme Park" and that they have recently opened a new on-site water park, this seemed like the perfect destination for us as we had most of what we wanted right on our door-step. HOWEVER, what the travel service failed to inform us on was that the Water park was designed for youngsters (around 5 - 10 year olds).
Secondly the so called theme park consists of 3 4D cinemas, which we're cool to start off with, but once you've done them once there is no need to go back (same go's for the up-side-down house). Although it isn't all bad, the k3 and adventure golf is good for all ages.

Now the hotel... Firstly the restaurant was disgraceful, under-staffed and un-tidy, tonnes of empty but dirty tables which staff hadn't cleared away, the food was repetitive and we both ended up suffering from sickness (believed to be from the food).

The Sun-bed situation was terrible also, there is 3 pools, 50 sun-beds and around 10 umbrellas, although you cannot reserve sun-beds it did not stop people, there was even people fighting over umbrellas to shade their kids, for this reason we spent most of our holiday at the beach (accompanied by other guests at Katmandu who suffered from the same problem).

The rooms were well-furnished but the walls we're paper thin and could hear the neighbouring rooms slightest movements, also if you are facing out towards Magaluf good luck sleeping! with a big clubbing scene just out-side be prepared for music / chanting till around 5 in the morning (but what do you expect from Magaluf).

Altogether the hotel is over-sold, Over-crowded and under-staffed and we would not travel there again.

Room Tip: Ask to face towards the park, this way you would be sheltered from most of the clubbing noises.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Leanne S
Dear Lianne,
Firstly, I would like to thank you for spending part of your time to write a review about us and this way send us all your feedbacks of your stay at our hotel Sol Katmandú Park and Resort. We appreciate all your comments as they help us to improve all the services that we offer to our guests.
I would also like to apologize if your stay with us was not as pleasant as you expected. Please, next time that you visit us, contact our Guest Services Department and they will help you with any issue that may occur during your stay.
In relation to your comments about our Katmandú Park, we count with different attractions for all ages.Our different cinemas are the 4D Experience, with six different films, the Asylum a 7D cinema, the Desperados shooting attraction, Los Banditos and the Zombies XD Ride, both as a massive video game. As you mention in your review, the 16th of June we have inaugurated a new facility in the Katmandú Park, the Katlantis Splash Park and Soft Play Adventure. The Katlantis Splash Park it is designed for all ages, with different slides and water games were all our guests can have a great time; the Soft Play area is just for children between 1 year and 12, as they must have their space to enjoy their holidays.
It would be a pleasure to welcome you again with us.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Magaluf
Hotel Samos
Sol Guadalupe
#5 of 28 in Magaluf
Sol House Mallorca Mixed by Ibiza Rocks
Sol Palmanova All Inclusive

Been to Sol Katmandu Park & Resort? Share your experiences!