Three friends, one of which was I, booked a plush hol at the Sotavento Apartments in early June for ten days. Situated at the top of a naughty hill who's gradient defeated my friend, they overlook Magaluf and are perfectly located if you plan to make an assault on the strip. We were in room 314 (dubbed The Palace), on the second floor, which luckily had the biggest balcony and the best view of the pool. The rooms were clean when we arrived, although the maids didn't do such a thorough job when they visited every day or two during our stay. You'll need to bring your own toilet roll though, we ran out at one stage due to a lack of this knowledge.
You WILL be woken up every day without fail at 12 by the bah heid of a poolside DJ who will murder every summer hit DEAD.
The food available at Sotavento is nice enough. We didn't really eat there often but I had a couple of pleasant fajitas around the pool whilst nursing a hangover. The poolside bar kept us topped up with Kopparbergs during the day, but it's a lot cheaper making the 2 minute walk down to one of the supermarkets (€10ish for a litre of Jager).
The place has a great atmosphere, despite our ginger rep 'The Germ', his scarred pot-belly and his explicit overuse of the word "literally". On arrival the reps will try and sell you a package of activities. My advice would be to negotiate with them and opt out of a few of the trips. We did that (because we couldn't be bothered with the Pirates show or the water park)(and also because we're wily Scotsmen), and we ended up paying less than half of what others that arrived with us did. The booze cruise is an absolute must.
After 12 at night, they get a bit touchy about noise though, and we got a letter on our third day telling us that they "do not tolerate guests disturbing to other guests" and warned us we would be booted out if we were noisy again. The nightwatchman Horatio, voiced by Xerxes, goes insane if you shout too much and will pursue perpetually until he catches the offender. We managed to befriend him eventually after a couple of eventful nights and he's ok really.
Shafters note - they don't have a problem with you bringing others back to the hotel so long as you come in and leave quietly!!
I would unreservedly recommend the Sotavento to anyone looking for a party holiday. It ticks every box for me and I would return without hesitation.
One final piece of advice I will impart is to try and blag your way into the Swedish club on the beachfront. We managed it on account of our unrelenting good looks and have have never seen specimens like it in our lives. Heed this warning, they carry the clap, and they aren't afraid to share it.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Sotavento Apartments is in the perfect location to take advantage of everything Magaluf has to offer. Its minimalist style, modern facilities and tasteful Hed-Kandi esque decor help to create a special atmosphere to chill out and relax.These stylish, elegant and up market apartments are situated at the top of the hill, just minutes from the beach, and Magaluf’s famous “Strip” which has numerous bars, restaurants and nightclubs and all just a few minutes’ walk from the apartments. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Jet2Holidays , Booking.com, LoveHolidays, Expedia, TripOnline SA, Hotels.com, Cancelon, Ebookers, HotelsClick, Evoline ltd and 5viajes2012 S.L. so you can book your Sotavento Apartments reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Sotavento Apartments Hotel Magalluf
- Apartamentos Sotavento Magalluf
- Apartamentos Sotavento Hotel Magalluf
- Sotavento Apartments Magaluf, Majorca