“i loved it”

Ranked #9 of 39 Hotels in Palmanova
milan, italy
“i loved it”
Reviewed 29 August 2011

old style hotel, full of history. good service, good food. forget the outdoor, is like a 3 star hotel. the main problem is the the small pool full of kids. try the spanish restaurant in the beach, excellent

• Stayed August 2011, travelled solo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (163)
  • Polish first
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 August 2011

We went to this hotel as tripadvisor reviews not too bad. The hotel is very tired and full of customers complaining. We were being charged 259 Euros per night and our party consisted of 2 Adults and 1 Child. The room was not big enough for a double and single bed so we had to climb on one bed to get to the balcony. The room was extremely dirty with outdated wood furniture and somehow felt quite depressing as not much daylight was in the room. We were given a room next to some girls having a hen party which I don't mind but you try and get a 3 year old to sleep when there is a party next door! When I approached the manager he was not suprised and there was a queue of 3 couples waiting to complain behind us. I would not recommend anyone to stay at this hotel unless it was awarded it's deserved TWO STARS and you were looking for a real bargain basement holiday and pay no more than 12 Euros per night. Checked out the next day to stay in the H10 hotel down the road - Fabulous place.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
3 Thank jane r
Soll, Austria
Reviewed 1 August 2011

Due to my need to throughout the day regularly check and respond to business emails, I chose the Son Caliu for my stay on Mallorca as it advertised free wifi throughout the hotel. This was indeed the case and the signal was strong - however what was a surprise to me was that their system blocked outgoing emails (unless sent via hotmail, gmail etc). That was of no use to me as my messages need to go out from my business email account. The receptionists themselves were unaware of this till I told them and did not really understand enough to fully accept that it had anything at all to do with their system. A quick search on Google ("why can I not send emails from my hotel?") though informed me that this is the set-up in some hotels (to avoid the sending of spam via their servers) and there is no way around it unless the hotel changes its policy (although the hotel may not even be aware that this is how their system is set up). The result for me was that six times a day I had to go around the corner to local cafes and bars offering wifi and work from there, where of course there was not the same issue. Very inconvenient and time-consuming and also difficult to co-ordinate any leisure time round the pool with changing, packing the laptop and going out of the hotel to work instead of just nipping off up to the room. The hotel is otherwise very pleasant although in high season there are inadequate sun-beds for the number of rooms this hotel has, resulting in many of the guests having to go without.The wasps on the breakfast terrace every morning were annoying to say the least and for some guests distressing. Even though the very pleasant waiting staff proudly pointed out the nests to me on my first morning there, by the time I left 5 days later they were still all there and intact. It's a 5-minute job to spray them all at dusk and the problem's gone, so why this was not done I have no idea. To conclude, I have no hesitation in recommending the Son Caliu but personally I can only return if the internet problem is rectified.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank John_Lance
Stuttgart, Germany
Reviewed 19 July 2011

We booked this hotel based off TripAdvisor Reviews. They did not lead us wrong as always. We weren't impressed with the outside appearance of the hotel but were fully impressed by the inside. The lobby is very nice, lots of seating and free wi-fi in the lobby and in our rooms. Our room was clean and had a balcony with 2 chairs and a table facing the street. The hotel has a private beach,it is very small and you have to get to the water via ladder. So we opted for the short walk to the beach. The hotel is a short walk to the Palma Nova beach. It's up a big hill on the way back, but nothing impossible. We paid for breakfast and dinner to be included. We were impressed by every dinner meal. Breakfast was very satisfying also, usual European breakfast. The highlight of this hotel was definitely the SPA OASIS! The gym, pool and the saunas are included in the price. Massages and other services have various fees. We fully enjoyed this hotel and would return. The hotel also surprised us with a personal cake and a bottle of champagne for my birthday!!!

• Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank my2cents2011
Rainham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 July 2011

I stayed here for a 3 night long weekend break during mid June 2011. The hotel reception area is the first thing that greets you with it's mocha marble floors and walls. Light and open it gave an impression of quality. The reception staff were very friendly, helpful but professional.

The rooms were a good size with lift access. The pool area is also close to the small private beach but is small so a crowded pool area of loungers are offered.
The location of this hotel was far enough away from main Palma nova but close enough to walk in I found. A nice 10 minute stroll and you're there.

A good professional hotel with an international clientele . Recommended for a short stay for definate. A++++

• Stayed June 2011
2 Thank Danny783
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 July 2011

Since most travellers read first lines of reviews, I would briefly say Son Caliu is a definite must go for everyone who wants to have a relaxing vacation. Gorgeous lounges in the hotel, fantastic green hotel area drowning in trees and flowers, great helpful and attentive staff, own beach with free sunbeds (a very rare case for Spain), free spa zone, live music every evening - all for very reasonable money. For those who go further to read this review: when we were looking for a hotel to stay in Mallorca we were looking for a quiet place for a limited budget. The fotos on Tripadvisor, despite very good reviews and ratings, did not promise much. However we were very pleasantly surprised once we arrived last week. The hotel looks very modest from outside - but once you get inside, the opinion is very different. Very nice staff, always helpful, speaking multiple languages, really caring for customers and their needs. Our departure flight was delayed 7 hours (quite usual in Mallorca in high season) and we were extended the room for free for 7 hours without any problem. Spa area is very nice - with several different saunas, pool, garden, and always mostly empty - ideal place to stay between 1 and 3 pm when the sun is really strong outside. Each evening there 's dinner available (if you pay in advance for all your stay - comes out a very good bargain) - accompanied by live music from different bands or solo singers (Ruben, one of them, really rocks!). Every Wednesday there's a cocktail party and gala dinner - when you are served 5 or 6 very tasty dishes , champgane and snacks, and have a good opportunity to chat with hotel management. Joan Vicens, Director of the hotel, is a very charming man with great care for tourists and neverending work for improvements. In winter the hotel will refurbish the rooms while the prices will stay the same - this will make the hotel number one in Palmanova and beyond for sure! If you do not want to stay on the small beach of the hotel - you can walk 3 minutes to municipal beach - but the problem there is not only a huge number of people, but very limited area for swimming in the sea. The hotel itself is close to everything - bus stop to all directions (30 mins to Palma), big supermarket, Palmanova beach, etc., and at the same time far enough from hustle and bustle of the other part of Palmanova - with numerous hotels, noisy traffic and night crowds. I would definitley recommend this hotel to anyone looking for quiet, relaxing vacation for reasonable budget. Many thanks to the hotel staff for making a great stay!

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with friends
3 Thank DolceF_Niente
northern ireland
Reviewed 12 July 2011

This was a bonus find as we booked last minute. It's a great location, ten to fifteen minutes max by car to centre of Palma. The new rooms are the ones to request. I think the old ones are quite dated. The spa is super and the pool is on the edge of a little beach if you want a dip in the sea. It's on the very quiet side of Palma Nova but we simply used it as a base for exploring the south west of the island. Five minutes by car to swish Puerto Portals and ten minutes the other way to Magaluf for the teenagers.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled with family