“fabulous”

Ranked #10 of 39 Hotels in Palmanova
London, United Kingdom
“fabulous”
Reviewed 29 June 2013

For someone who doesn't enjoy flying, majorca is only 2 hours away from England so was rather attractive to me when booking a romantic trip for only 5 days. We decided to book a private taxi from the airport as it ment we could be unpacked and on the beach with in an hour from landing as the journey was only a 20 minute drive. Having only just returned from this hotel, we have already discussed returning in September. I may even go back in August on my own for a week as there were plenty of women holidaying on their own and I wouldn't feel intimidated or frightened to do the same. The food was excellent and plentiful and the staff could not do enough for us. We had an old style room which was large and lovely and cleaned every day. Every room has either a balcony or terres. Don't take any towels with you, they supply them for the beach on a daily basis. We had one day of over cast weather so we decided to take a stroll into palma which is only a 5 minute walk away, where there are plenty of restaurants and bars to choose from. When we returned from our walk we went into the indoor pool area which was fab as they have sun lounges to lay on if you don't fancy a swim. My advice would be to go for the half board option as the food is so good and there's lots of variety to choose from. The restaurant opens at 7.30am for breakfast and 're-opens again at 7.30pm. Entertainment every night was a bonus although not always to our taste. There are bars and restaurants in the surrounding area if you don't want to stay in the hotel or walk into palma at night. The beach is lovely and they have just installed a brand new jetty. The hotel itself is family-friendly although there is nothing apart from the pool to entertain young children, even my own children aged 18 and 16 would have been bord staying here. Two weeks stay I think would be to much but one week or even 5 days which is what we done, was just right for us. We will definitely be returning again this year as I have not found one thing to moan about which is rare for me.

Room Tip: Although it states sea view, all rooms only have partial sea views, even the rooms located at the fr...
1 Thank djstevefromlondon
SonCaliu, E-commerce at Hotel Son Caliu Spa Oasis, responded to this review, 1 July 2013
Dear djstevefromlondon,

Thank you very much for taking the time writing your experience in our hotel, which I will share with all our team.

It is a pleasure to read your review and I am most happy to know that you have enjoyed your stay at Son Caliu Hotel Spa Oasis.

I am delighted to see that you liked our food and that you found our staff very friendly. We always try to do our best in order to achieve the complete satisfaction of our customers.

Once again, many thanks for choosing us, and I hope to get the opportunity to welcome you again.

E-commerce

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (163)
  • Polish first
Aylesbury
Reviewed 28 June 2013

We stayed here for four nights half board. The hotel is currently undergoing a refurbishment and we had one of the updated rooms. This is the second hotel we have stayed in recently which has undergone a 'boutique style' updating. The room certainly looks impressive, but suffered with a centrally located shower cubicle which leaked all over the floor because the door didn't fit properly, and a small, impractical washbasin. The bidet has been sacrificed for a separate WC with a glass door. Not everyone wishes to have so little privacy and I would personally prefer the traditional separate bathroom. However, the beds were very comfortable and the room was spotlessly clean.
The dining experience was rather strange. There was a good buffet selection, offering the usual salads, but also a selection of meat and fish dishes and vegetables. There was then a waiter service for a 'main course' with a fish, meat or vegetarian option. This seemed rather pointless as it partially duplicated the buffet. The course when it arrived was small and my partner had to get extra vegetables from the buffet. I feel that a full buffet would be better. The service was also slow at times. We were there for the weekly Gala Dinner, which again looked impressive on the menu but was disappointing. We waited 25 minutes for the first starter and I noticed that several diners gave up waiting either before or during the meal.
The hotel is in an excellent location and I am sure we will return, but there is some room for improvement.

Room Tip: Choose a room overlooking the garden for a view.
Dear Hilary B,

First of all I want to thank you for spending a few minutes of your time to share such a detailed review about Son Caliu Hotel Spa Oasis.
I am delighted to know that you liked our rooms and you found the bed comfortable.
I would like to apologize if the service at the restaurant sometimes was a bit slow, it was because when you stayed at the hotel was full, in any case I am sorry for this inconvenience.
We have got renovated rooms and every season we got a newly renovated floor.
Once again, thank you for your comment and we hope to see you soon again at Son Caliu Hotel.

Kindest regards,

San Francisco, California
Reviewed 28 June 2013

Fabulous spa, great champagne breakfast, super staff and well located. Great for a girls getaway or a family vacation.
Staff were extremely helpful and friendly.
Plenty of choices between, beach, dock, pool and indoor pool.
Rooms are basic but do the trick.
Would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with friends
Dear vcmorson,

Many thanks for sharing your opinion about Son Caliu Hotel Spa Oasis on Tripadvisor.
I am delighted to read that you have enjoyed your stay with us.
Once again, thank you for choosing our hotel and I hope to get the opportunity to welcome you again.

Derbyshire
Reviewed 26 June 2013 via mobile

I stayed at this hotel 3 nights as a solo traveller. I had booked it via Travel Republic so was unsure what to expect. The check in was smooth and someone even took my bag to my room for me. The furniture in my room could have done with updating as could the decor, however, the room was extremely clean and had everything I needed. The bathroom was also wonderfully clean, with probably the fluffiest towels I have ever had. The products were of excellent quality too and the shower superb. All the public areas were lovely, well furnished and well kept. The food was also excellent quality. Breakfast was a buffet with a great range of choices from cereal to cooked to pastries. The evening dinner was a 3 course menu with a choice of main course, starters were buffet style as was desert. There was a lovely terrace with bar, where you could enjoy a drink whilst looking out onto the med. The pool was extremely well kept as were all the surrounding gardens. The beach was a stones throw from the pool and again well kept with plenty of free sun beds. I didn't use the spa but it appeared very popular. Every member of staff I came across was extremely helpful, in fact I haven't experienced that level of customer service in a hotel for quite some time. I will be returning to this hotel and will be recommending to friends.

• Stayed June 2013
SonCaliu, E-commerce at Hotel Son Caliu Spa Oasis, responded to this review, 28 June 2013
Dear BertieDerbyshire,

Thank you very much for taking the time writing your experience in our hotel.

I am most happy to learn you enjoyed your stay with us and that everything was to your satisfaction, I will be most happy to share your words with our team.

Thank you again for your feedback and we look forward to welcoming you back at Son Caliu Hotel Spa Oasis.

Kindest regards,
New Forest
Reviewed 26 June 2013

I am not a sun/sea/sand person, so was unsure of Mallorca at all, let alone the resort or the hotel.

However I visited there off-season, and for a cycling holiday (Stephen Roche cycling holidays are based next door to this hotel), so I figured that as long as the hotel was comfortable I'd be fine. But I also took my non-cycling family, so thought that things like the spa facilities would appeal to them.

The highest compliment I can pay is to say that all three of us came away having had a wonderful time - not a very common experience when one of the party is a 13yo! Comfortable it certainly was, in addition the food was excellent, the staff friendly and happy to engage in conversation.

My daughter was very happy, since she was allocated a double room rather than the single we'd booked - and to have a room of her own is still a bonus for her. And we all made use of the excellent spa facilities - very good and very chilled.

Location-wise the hotel was perfect. Obviously ideal for my cycling, but also Son Caliu is a nice, small resort. My daughter was able to walk into Magaluf (which was the exact opposite of Son Caliu, but for some reason fascinated her) each day. But also my wife was able to take the bus into Palma (which is a beautiful city). We had a rental car, for longer excursions when I wasn't riding, which was easily parked in the surrounding streets.

Even for a late checkout to catch an evening flight, there was no hassle whatsoever. We're already planning to revisit Mallorca next year and I very much doubt we'll look beyond this hotel.

Room Tip: If a sea view is important, then it might be worth contacting the hotel about this. My wife and I ha...
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled with family
SonCaliu, E-commerce at Hotel Son Caliu Spa Oasis, responded to this review, 27 June 2013
Dear hurf0rd,

Thank you very much for choosing to stay with us at Son Caliu Hotel Spa Oasis and for such a gratifying review.

We are extremely pleased to know that you and your family felt comfortable in our hotel and were happy with the service and facilities. Your comments will be shared with all the colleagues of the hotel whom you mentioned polite and helpful.

We do hope to see you again very soon and make your next stay as impeccable as you had your last stay.

Yours sincerely,
Marlow, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 June 2013

We stayed at the Son Caliu Hotel from 15 to 22 June. The hotel is in a quiet location set in attractive landscaped grounds that are well maintained. The lounge areas were well furnished and sufficiently large to cope with what was close to a full complement of guests. We had a standard room which was a little dated in terms of decor but perfectly adequate. Hot water was more or less instant, irrespective of the time of day. The shower was particularly good. We understand more expensive rooms have been given a makeover. Despite the calm setting, the hotel is a five minute walk from the main road running through Palma Nova.

The pool is adequate, incorporating a small, safe area for kids. The hotel has direct access to a small cove with a beach. It is not the most user-friendly of beaches with a rocky surface under the water. There is a pontoon jetty that enables swimmers to enter the sea some twenty yards from the shore. Improvements were being made while we were there - a low wall between the sandy beach and the decked promenade was being finished off.

Breakfast at the hotel was reasonable with a good variety of options. We didn’t eat at the hotel for lunch or dinner but the reports were heard from other guests were positive. As you would expect from a large resort, Palma Nova has a good variety of restaurants, ranging from basic good value, to higher standard offerings.

Overall, we were pleased with the Son Caliu. The staff were friendly, helpful and informative. There were some weak spots – most notably the way beach towels were provided. Towels were issued to guests from a small hut next to the pool. But the hut was frequently unattended as the member of staff concerned had other duties to cover, so those wanting a towel had to wait. On the odd occasion they also ran out of towels altogether.

Dear Eddie1219,

Thank you very much for taking a time to write such a detailed review and share it with all TripAdvisor travellers, it is very important for us as it helps us to improve every day a little bit more.

I am happy to know that you liked the hotel location and thank you for sharing your good impression of our hotel staff.

I feel bad to read that you found the room a bit dated. I would like to inform you that we dispose of renovated rooms.

I apologize to you if the hut for giving towels was unattended sometimes, I will take a note of this in order to improve this service.

Once again, thank you for your review and we hope to get the opportunity to welcome you again at Son Caliu Hotel Spa Oasis.

Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 June 2013

I have just spent a wonderful birthday with my family in this brilliant hotel in a quiet and relaxing part of Palma Nova. The facilities at the hotel excellent. This was my second visit this year, and I was very pleased to be recognised and welcomed back by the gentleman on reception! We will definately return soon.

Room Tip: Choose a room on 5th floor
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

1 Thank 261jane
Dear 261jane,

Many thanks for choosing Son Caliu Hotel Spa Oasis to spend with your family a so wonderful day as is as your birthday.
We are delighted to read that you have enjoyed our hotel facilities.
It was a pleasure taking care of you and we very much look forward to welcoming you back soon.