“Enjoy Magaluf......Sleep In Palma Nova”

Sol Beach House Mallorca
Ranked #5 of 39 Hotels in Palmanova
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 8 May 2012

Just returned on Saturday 5th.May after a pleasant weeks stay in the Sol Cala Blanca Hotel in Palma Nova. Reception, Bar, and Pool areas have all been updated, however, room was bit tired, as was the main staircase and corridors.

Meals were fairly bland and not a great deal of choice, but hot enough, and well prepared. Service from staff was attentive, and friendly, except for the Bar Staff who gave the impression that they would serve you when it suited them. They were of the "old school" slow, surly, and "been there for years"!

One of the good things about this hotel is it's location. It's on the beach, is fairly quiet and civilized, and is at the far end of Palma Nova, near to Terra Nova and Magaluf. so, you can enjoy the mayhem of Magaluf then retire to the relative quiet of the hotel and enjoy some uninterrupted sleep.

I have stayed twice now at this hotel and would go back again for all the preceding reasons, however, I wouldn't rate it as four star.

Room Tip: If you want to sun bathe in the afternoon on your balcony, DO NOT pay the extra for the sea view roo...
1  Thank Brian B
There are newer reviews for Sol Beach House Mallorca

Reviewed 3 May 2012

Our last visit to the cala blanca was an enjoyable experience so fives years on thought we would visit again. The changes made to the reception/lounge/bar were clearly made to try and lift the hotel not the 21st century. If I was a room designer by trade I might say that these changes don't go with the rest of the hotel, however I'm not. It looks rather like they ran out of money after the ground floor had been finished. The outside dining area is pleasant, and the pool area is well kept. We enjoyed the food apart from one night when the battered cauliflower turned out to be frozen in the middle. I returned the offending items but wasn't offered an explanation in return. The food is certainly varied and hot so no other issues. Our room was on the back of the hotel overlooking the resort, which was by choice as we knew the sun would be on the back all afternoon. The room was dated, and wasn't helped by the paint peeling off the ceiling, however it was clean and the maids provided a good service.
The cala blanca is in a great position but Palma Nova is in decline, there seems to be an increase in down market establishments competing for customers " 2 pints for €2.10" was a common sign. On the subject of drinks the hotel was othe expensive side, and this was evidenced on Tuesday night with a live three piece jazz set, paying to an audience of 6.
The Cala Blanca, without further investment, would be an average three star at best.

Stayed: April 2012
2  Thank Pete W
Reviewed 2 May 2012

This is a lovely hotel The food was varied hot and plenty of choise. The rooms where spacious and clean.However the pool area is far to small not enough sun lounges also I thought 10 euro's per person for the deposit for a beach towel a bit steep.The dinning room staff where not friendly at all no eye contact just grunts.We had a room at the front of the hotel over looking bars could be very noisy in high season but does get the sun in the afternoon.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank ann h
Reviewed 1 May 2012

A really good positioned 4* hotel in Palma Nova. Right on the beach with plenty of shops, bars and restaurants right outside the hotel.

Since becoming an Adults Only Hotel this year (2012) the hotel has redecorated around the reception area to give a contemporary feel. They have also upgraded all the furniture around the pool bar and sun terrace. The rooms are the same decor as previous years.

Once inside the hotel, the staff are as friendly and helpful as ever (I've been a few times). There is an internet facility of 4 PC's (small charge) and bar area which also offers evening entertainment most evenings (Singer etc)

The Restaurant is buffet and there was always plenty of choice. We only had Breakfast but half board is also available at a supplement (€25.50pp as of 28.4.12). Each morning there was the option of sitting in the restaurant or on the sun terrace al fresco style which was nice as it overlooked the promanade and beach. This terrace is also available for lunch and dinner. There was lots of choice and plenty of staff.

Around the pool area there were sunbeds and umbrellas. There was also a pool side snack bar offering a waiter service for drinks and snacks. Pool towels were also available with a deposit and they were a good size. There is an indoor pool which had sun loungers for relaxing however, I am not sure of this pool is open all year round.

The rooms are spacious and the options are, Pool/Sea View or Standard land facing. The Pool ones get fabulous views and a great sunrise in the morning but if you want afternoon sun on your balcony then the land facing rooms are best as the sun moves round to the back of the hotel from 1pm thru till about 7pm. These rooms do however face a road and there are bars and shops along this road. The double glazing is good and we never suffered with the noise, even being right above the hotel entrance. Most balconies have a sunlounger, a chair and a table on. The bathrooms offer a shower over the bath, sink, loo and bidet. There was a fixed dispenser on the wall which had complimentary shower gel/shampoo type stuff in. They also offered a comb and, shower cap. The hairdryer was a proper one (Vs one of the wand style ones which are rubbish) albeit not very powerful. The TV offered a mixture of channels including BBC and ITV! There was also a minibar which we never used. There was a safe in the wardrobe and I guess a small charge is made for hiring it as it was key operated. The rooms were also clean and bright. A/C was also in each room.

Once outside the hotel there is plenty of eateries and bars, we were finding you could get a 2 course meal for about €9 each, drinks varied depending where you drank. Some were advertising beer from €2 for 2 pints, these generally were the typical british pub style bars. Toastie sandwiches and snacks in the local eateries were about €3-€4 each.

About 10 mins walk away is Magaluf. Palma Nova and Magaluf literally flow into one another and it's quite hectic there, making Palma Nova more appealing. There are a couple of chemists within 1 minute walk and plenty of supermarkets within metres of the hotel too, plus loads of toot/souvenir shops.

All in all this is an excellent beach positioned hotel, perfectly positioned right in the heart of Palma Nova and cannot fault it. From a selfish point of view, I'm just upset that it's now adults only as we used to have our family holiday here with our daughter and now have to find somwhere else.. but for anyone without kids in tow, then definately come here. You'll have a fab stay.

Room Tip: If you having a standard land facing room, then ask for a high floor room. They get better sun due t...
4  Thank nb01
Reviewed 29 April 2012

The sol palma nova was far better than we expected

The location in palma nova was right on the sea front.

Our room was large and spotless and was kept so throughout our stay.

It was good that the central stairway was carpeted as it would have been noisy without it.
The food was really good there being a wide range of fresh cooked food, cold meats , salads and fruit both at breakfast and dinner. We do not normally have afters at home but really indulged ourselves. For those who have a cooked breakfast there were 5 kinds of sausages one morning !. The staff were friendly and efficient.

The area we were in was quite and clean and tidy. The only litter we saw was around MacDonalds (Why is that no matter where you go ? )

Really recommended and adults only

Room Tip: Dont worry about a sea view as the front of the hotel gets the sun in the afternoon and it was lovel...
3  Thank jeffery h
Reviewed 29 April 2012 via mobile

I am writing this for my the sun lounger I have physically had to fight to get by the pool.
Booked a last minute weekend break as I needed to get a bit of work done and wanted some head space.
I booked the room with the hotel directly. There is a box asking for any specific requirements, so I put I was travelling alone and needed to do some work, so would appreciate a quiet room ideally with a sea view.
I checked in and was given a broom cupboard next to the lift overlooking the main centre.
When I offered to pay for an upgrade, I was told the hotel was full. There are about 20 rooms with curtains closed that are clearly empty.
I left reception and checked in to my cupboard. There was a tv in the room, so thought I would flick it on as it was raining. The card next to the tv says you can get ITV 1, bbc 1 & itv. I flicked on to the channels and a fuzz appeared, so called reception. A man came up switched on the tv then turned it off again and said satellite doesn't work and that was it.
He left so I decided to go to sleep for a few hours, only to be woken up by the man in the room next to me snoring!
To add insult to injury at 4am this morning someone decided to knock on my door a few times. Needless to say travelling alone I chose not to answer.
The final straw however was this morning was when I went down to sunbath by the pool, only to find the 50 sunbeds were all taken. Bearing in mind the hotel holds over 240 people and I had been told it was full. This is hardly surprising.
I went to customer relations to ask if there were anymore beds only to be told that there wasn't. When I asked what they suggested I should the the response was' you tell me. If you are that desperate go and sit on the beach and pay!'
Being head strong I took a cushion off the sofa and walked out with it. Needless to say he followed me and told me I couldn't do it.

I ended up taking a chair off a poor German lady who had reserved it for her husband.

Had I been staying longer than 3 days I would have checked out and gone somewhere else.

The hotel in general is very dated, don't be fooled by the modern chairs in the lobby. That is as far as the refurbishment goes.

Would I rate this as a 4* no, maybe Joyce Templeton Savage would. If you are coming to Majorca for a hen or stag weekend or some partying and just want somewhere to sleep. The hotel is in a great location and good value for money.

However, if you want a chill out hotel and good service, then I would steer clear, pay a few extra quid and go to Portals or Cala d'or.

• Stayed: April 2012
6  Thank helspil
Reviewed 27 April 2012

this is a lovely hotel backs onto the beach everything outside on the doorstep mainly older ppl staff very helpful and pleasant food is ok

Room Tip: seaview rooms are best
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Palmanova
Sol Palmanova All Inclusive
#1 of 39 in Palmanova
Gran Melia Victoria
Gran Melia Victoria
#17 of 74 in Palma de Mallorca

Been to Sol Beach House Mallorca? Share your experiences!