“Short break”

Sol Beach House Mallorca
Ranked #5 of 38 Hotels in Palmanova
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 28 April 2013

Stayed here half board for 4 nights in April 2013. Location good pretty much in centre of palma nova. Shops bars etc all on your doorstep. We had a room facing the front street which was good as you got the sun on balcony till last thing. When we arrived we were offered an upgrade to a sea view. Thought 46 euro per night was quite expensive for that,considering you lost the sun quite early on the sea side of hotel. Room was big compared to your typical Spanish hotel. Room cleaned every day and clean towels. Food was good. Good choice of different meats and fish at dinner. Plenty salad and pasta. Pancakes cooked by chef with your choice of fillings. 2 beers in restaurant was 4.80 thought that was ok price. Breakfast good too. Cereals and continental or a fry up plenty of choice. Nice outdoor seating for breakfast was good. Didn't go into outdoor pool as it was to cold. Indoor pool was good though. Quite hot inside pool area though. Due to sun. It was my partners birthday too. Nice surprise when we got back to hotel to find they had put a bottle of cava and fruit in room for her. Been to palma nova bout five times now but first time we had stayed here. Would recommend and when we go back will stay here again.

7  Thank charbal
JavierBonet, Director de Relaciones Públicas at Sol Beach House Mallorca, responded to this reviewResponded 26 May 2013

Dear Charbal,

Thank you very much for the review, we hope to welcome you again in the very near future.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,366)

Reviewed 28 April 2013

Stayed with my wife for 6 days in April 13. Comfortable adults only hotel right on the beach with lovely views of Palma Bay from the pool terrace and main public rooms. Lots of flat walking in either direction. Hotel has capacity for around 200 but there were only 60 sunbeds available when I was there, although there are lots of chairs and tables available around the terrace. Nearby beach sunbed and palapa rental expensive if you were doing it everyday. Mixture of English, Danish and Swedish guests with Golf and Cycling groups. Breakfast was excellent and could be eaten on the terrace where the views and sun can be enjoyed. Board basis options are B&B or Half Board (Breakfast and Dinner) with lunch optional for 12E. The main Restaurant is noisey due to echo but there is a covered extension outside which is a more pleasant alternative area to be seated. Never noticed anyone taking lunch, probably because there are lots of very good value alternatives nearby. Maria's, on the road junction to the right out of hotel was particularly good value. Sunny venue to watch the world go by with 2 friendly hostesses. Mixed tapas were great as was beer at 2 chilled pints for 2.25E! We had a lovely top floor sea view room which I would reccommend but everyone I spoke to with an inland view (street other hotels nearby hills) was happy with it.If you are looking for a pleasant, friendly, well run, quiet hotel in a safe attractive area, which also has the advantage of being only a short stroll to the Magaluf strip, this is the place for you.
Finally if you want to get out and about Taxis are reasonable and well regulated. A really nice quick trip is to the Marina at Portals, 7E transports you to millionaire playground with craft rivalling Puerto Banus on the mainland.

4  Thank holidayTom

Dear HolidayTom,

Many Thanks for the good comments  We will keep the good work.

Reviewed 27 April 2013

On arriving at the Hotel we were met by the very cheerfull and helpfull Reception staff who made us feel very 'at home'.
This Hotel, which we first visited 40 years ago, has been recently updated and is Adults Only.
Unfortunately our balcony furniture, aka a table and 2 odd chairs, would have been more at home in a skip!! Most balcony's had modern furniture, guess it's luck of the draw.
We also found that on most mornings at breakfast we had to ask for food to be restocked, even bread and beans. Maybe we expected too much, but we didn't think this was really 4* service.
We are vey regular visiters to Palma Nove and in our opinion there is a better 4* Hotel at the other end of this street that we will return to for our next visit

3  Thank Ken S

Dear Ken S,

Thank you for your re-visit and for share your opinion with us. We are glad to inform you that the furniture of the balcony has been replaced this weekend for a new one, now all the rooms have already new furniture on the balcony.
Regarding your comments about the replacement of the food at the breakfast time, maybe, at some moments at the breakfast buffet are really busy, and believe me that our kitchen staff works hardly to replace the wide variety of the buffet; we are very sorry if at any time you have had to wait a pair of minutes to see the food replaced.

Reviewed 27 April 2013

On arrival on a late Monday evening we where greeted off the coach by a really nice member of staff who immediately took our cases. Check in went very smoothly, we where asked if we wanted to pay more for an upgrade to a sea view, we declined and how pleased we did. Street rooms get the sun all afternoon and it's so nice just relaxing on the balcony. Balcony was quite a nice size with nice chairs. Food average for a 3/4 star hotel personally I would have said a 3 star rating not a four star. Entertainment every night but we visited other hotels in the area for more varied entertainment. Indoor pool needs some T.L.C. TEA AND COFFEE facilities please. Overall the hotel was nice and clean, staff very nice and helpful, would I stay here again, at a push I might but may look at other hotels first. Always a bonus of course is it is an adults only hotel which was great.

Room Tip: Afternoon sun, take a street view, also take an electric kettle.
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled with friends
3  Thank tarafudge

Dear Tarafudge,

Thank you very much for your comments about our services. We are surprised to read about your “low star rating” for the dining room, as we have a huge wide of variety trying to satisfy the different nationalities that are visiting us; Nevertheless, we take as a constructive criticism and a way to improve services.

Reviewed 26 April 2013

Just returned yesterday from a 5 day break. The hotel itself is clean, modern and best bit for me "Adults only"!

On arrival check in was painless and quick with very efficient reception staff. Room was on the 1st floor and with a sea view. I had booked a double room but unfortunately the other person didn't come so I had it to myself. The others travelling in our party had booked single rooms but were given doubles so a nice upgrade for them. The rooms were clean, spacious.

The location is well placed that if you want quiet you stay in Palma Nova if you want lively then walk out of the hotel turn left and approx 10 minutes you're in Magaluf!

We managed breakfast twice during our stay and it was nice enough with a plentiful choice of hot / cold meats etc etc. The bar prices were ok and what you'd expect a hotel to charge.

Twice during the holiday the reception staff were excellent. The first being when a mobile phone needed charging and the second being when the coach pick up time was wrong and needed changing and they dealt with it themselves which they didn't need to as it was an outside agency. So thank you for that.

No problem with maid service but make sure you use your "Do not disturb" sign .....or they will!

One of our party ventured into the outdoor pool after chasing off the Polar bears and penguins and if the indoor pool was more clearly signed we would have used this.

On checkout I was a bit unhappy as although I had booked initially a double room but on arrival told them I would be on my own I still got charged for a double room where as the rest of the party who had booked single rooms but were given doubles (ironically next door to mine) were only charged the single rate. When I questioned the receptionist I was told this was due to it being booked on the internet and not directly with them. I booked through the Melia hotels website so couldn't see why they couldn't charge the lower rate.

All in all though not bad and if I went to that area again I'd probably stay here.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank pault1969

Dear Paul1969,
Thank you very much to share your impressions about our hotel; we are very glad to read that you have enjoyed your holidays. We have already told the housekeeper and his team to be extremely carefully at the time to go into one room to avoid “embarrassing” situations. Regarding your comments about the reservation, we are very sorry, but at the hotel we are unable to change a reservation, even if it is made thru melia.com, in this case, is the guest themselves who have to contact melia.com and it is the only one who can made changes, otherwise, at the hotel we cannot change category or rates of a booking.

Reviewed 25 April 2013

This hotel has an official 4* rating but on mine and my wifes experience of staying there, I cannot see from any aspect that it warrants such a rating.First thing I noticed missing in the room was drinks making facility and also a notice on the fridge telling you that it was only for hotel purchased goods.4*?
Thankfully, the comfort of the large twin beds went a long way to rescuing what could have been a major disappointment. At least you could get a comfortable(if not quiet) nights sleep.
After checking in and paying the "special offer" price of 23 Euros per day to upgrade to a sea view room, I asked where I could find the ironing room. Could not believe that such a basic facility did not exist. 4*? The receptionist then offered to arrange to hire an iron and a board for me and when it arrived, the board could only be mounted on a table due to its very short fold away legs.
When unpacking our clothes, we were left wondering where the drawer space had been hidden. Fact is, there wasn't any. 4*? The wardrobe space had 1 hanging rail (enough for my wifes dresses and skirts etc) and the other half was shelves, one of which housed the safe (21 euros for 7 days and 5euros a day for our other 2 days).
In the bathroom there was a reasonable supply of toiletries which were replenished regularly but the overall presentation of the bathroom was not very good (photos attached showing door, mould round the sink and a bath towel) 4*? There was not a non slip safety mat to use in the bath when showering but, there was a Bidet.starting to see now why the hotel has a 4* rating! At least there was something to soak my feet in at the end of the day! Talking of which, I asked at reception for 2 beach towels. these came at an upfront payment (refundable) of 10 euros EACH plus if you wanted an exchange for a clean one it was 1 euro each for laundering. 4*?
I had only booked B&B so I am unable to comment on the food apart from breakfast. At first glance the buffet style breakfast looked inviting with a good selction of fresh fruits, youghurts cereals, continental and cooked breakfast. I may have been unlucky but on my 2 attempts at the "hot" breakfast, everything on my plate was cold which wasn't helped by all of the plates being cold in the first place. The more seasoned guests at the hotel had sussed out that you could heat your breakfast in the microwave provided.Anyway I opted for the remainder of my stay to have fresh fruit, fruit juice and the cold continental selection. Would have made the dining room look so much more presentable had there been table cloths(Didn,t have them at night either as I purposely checked). There again, it is only a 4*? Would have been nice to find some basic gym/fitness facility but again, nothing.This was my first ever trip to Spain (nearly 66 years old) and I am soory to stay that on holidays to other countries, I have found better facilities in accommodation graded 3* and lower

6  Thank cookieboy480

Dear Cookieboy480
Thank you very much to share your opinion with us.
We regret to hear that our hotel did not reached your expectations, even that you think that our hotel did not reached what is supposed to find on a 4 star hotel.
I agree with you that some of the thinks you have found in our hotel are not expected and completely not desirable; we want to give you our sincerest apologies for the inconveniences caused and we want to inform you that we are sharing your comments with all the heads of departments in order to avoid situations like yours.
Maybe when you visit one hotel you could ask what kind of facilities have, as we are a holiday hotel, 4 stars, and we do not have the same facilities that 4 star hotel on a big city. We invite you to compare different 4 star hotels visiting www.melia.com.
We remain at your completely disposal, and we want to thank you again for your comments, they made us to be more severe with ourselves.

Reviewed 23 April 2013

Just back from 3 nights at this lovely hotel. Staff all very friendly, rooms spotless, maids cheerful, breakfast buffet amazing! Fantastic location, right on the beach we have had a lovely stay. Only negative would be the people putting towels down on loungers at the crack of dawn and then not appearing to use them until late morning!!

Room Tip: Sea view rooms lovely but if you want afternoon sun then it would have to be a roadside room.
4  Thank 579Saz
JavierBonet, Director de Relaciones Públicas at Sol Beach House Mallorca, responded to this reviewResponded 28 April 2013

Dear 579Saz,
Thank you for the good impressions. We try to ask to our guests not to reserve the sunbeds in order to give the chance to all other guests to enjoy our relaxing pool area.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Palmanova
Hotel Son Caliu Spa Oasis
Hotel Son Caliu Spa Oasis
#9 of 38 in Palmanova
Sol Palmanova by Melia - All Inclusive
Alua Hawaii Mallorca & Suites (ex Intertur)
Hotel Riu Palace Bonanza Playa
Gran Melia de Mar
Gran Melia de Mar
#6 of 180 in Calvia
Hotel Son Matias Beach
Hotel Son Matias Beach
#1 of 38 in Palmanova

Been to Sol Beach House Mallorca? Share your experiences!