1,559 results
All reviewssea viewpalma novapool arealovely hotelafternoon sunboth breakfast and dinnerfourth floorbeach towelsper dayhalf boardgreat positionnext yearbuffet styleevery eveningreception staffplenty of choicerelaxing holiday
Reviewed 20 July 2014

Just returned from first visit - 4 nights in a renovated, sea view room on third floor (4 floors in total). We are in our mid-30s and there were as many guests under 40 as over. Also saw very few guests reserving sunbeds, though by mid morning would struggle to find one with a parasol.

Hotel and grounds very clean. Staff were polite though the ‘beach house’ uniform not the most professional looking – lose the jeans! Great location right on the beach with various bars, restaurants and supermarkets on the doorstep. Not usually a fan of buffets and expected to eat out some nights but the food – breakfast and evening meal - was fantastic with great variety and choice of indoor or outdoor seating. Evening entertainment – an instrumental act at 7pm then singer or group at 9pm – also very good.

Renovated room was nice and bright but the door needed a kick to open. The soundproofing - not something you tend to notice until it isn't there - was excellent. Large LCD TV with wide range of channels including BBC1/ITV1 if that is important. Bed was 2 singles pushed together and quite firm. Pillows also very hard and not very comfortable. Mini fridge/drink making facilities would have been nice and a lack of free WiFi, even if just in the lobby, is poor form in this day and age. Also cost me 20 Euros (plus 5 Euro refundable deposit) to loan a key for the in-room safe.

Overall a lot of very good features but, for the price, could offer a little more before I would be tempted back.

Room Tip: Renovated room. Sea view rooms get the morning sun. Recommend the buffet.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank MartyMcfly1985
JavierBonet, Director de Relaciones Públicas at Sol Beach House Mallorca, responded to this reviewResponded 11 August 2014

Dear MartyMcfly1985,
We hope that your back home and the memory of Sol Beach House Cala Blanca were good, although the details mentioned as improvement suggestions, which we will consider to change in the future. Thanks for your comments about the treatment received from the staff, cleanliness, food and facilities, which will be waiting for when you decide to return to Mallorca. Kind Regards

Reviewed 16 July 2014

OK objective ratings first:

Hotel Cala Blanca Beach House Palma Nova H/B 8 nights from June 23rd:
Location **** (right on the beach 10m)
Accomodation Roadside *** (fairly large room - in need of a makeover)
Food & Dining Area **** (Good ambience food above usual 3* fayre)
Poolside Area *** (not big enough - no sunbeds after 7am)
Internet Wifi * (terminals available from 1€ WiFi in room 30€ 1 week)
Bar Prices * (3.10€ for a can of pop and up from that - obviously no queues at the bar)
Hotel Security Zero Stars: Non Existent. No CCTV anywhere.

Below is a summary of the attempted robbery from our room at around 0230am on July 1st 2014 the morning we were due to leave (a more detailed account has been sent to Melia hotels and Gabriel Escarrer Chairman & CEO of Melia Hotels 10 days ago - I'm still awaiting a reply).

After hearing a door card entering the lock, my wife (who luckily is a light sleeper) woke up screaming "There's a man in the room, THERE'S A MAN IN THE ROOM". I jumped out of bed and saw (as we had left the light on by the door) a tall (1.9m) blonde man aged about 25yrs dressed in a grey T-shirt and shorts had taken 4 paces into the room. As I walked towards him, I assumed he had stumbled into the room by mistake and I said, "What's going on? Come on now, you're in the wrong room". As I walked towards him, I noticed a shorter (1.65m) dark haired girl with long hair stood in the doorway holding the door open. I then ushered out the man with an outstretched arm and he said, "I definitely think I am in the wrong room" in English - with an accent possibly Northern/Eastern European (not a native English speaker and not a Spanish/Mallorcan accent) he started acting drunk at this point and left the room without me touching him. I made sure the door was firmly closed. We then went downstarirs to the reception. As we walked towards the desk, (Miguel?) on reception said my name and room 126 and looked down at the hotel guest list. I said yes. He then said "A couple came in and said they had lost their key and gave your name and it's room 126, this happens sometimes". I said, "How did they know my name and room number?". He said it is "just a coincidence and a mistake", he seemed unconcened at this point, so I said, "We will take this up with the hotel manager when he arrives at 9am". About 1hr later, my wife went down to speak with the night receptionist. He was by this time getting quite agitated, and in front of guests (who asked my wife if she was OK) he raised his voice to her, saying, "You are not harmed, it is just a mistake - think about my reputation". At this point he confirmed the couple he had given a copy of our room key to "Are not guests at this hotel", although he said to my wife, "They were English - it happens sometimes, they forget their keys".

Questions that need to be answered:

1. Why is the night receptionist handing out copies of guests room keys to people walking in off the street with no identification. They should be made to wait until daylight when a member of staff/security can escort them to the room and confirm they are legitimate guests. When we arrived at the Sol Cala Blanca, we needed passports and a hotel reservation.

2. How did a couple walking in off the street (according to the night receptionist) know my name and room number. I can only assume this is an "inside job" and your staff are selling guests' personal information to outsiders (professional thieves?) to earn extra income. Are your paying guests aware of this?

3. Are your paying guests being made aware that their safety and lives are being compromised by the policies of the hotel?

4. Where is the CCTV footage of the couple entering the hotel at approximately 0230hrs on July 1st?

5. When the room is locked from the inside, why does the keycard override it - and unlock the door?

6. Why were the Police not called immediately by the hotel receptionist?

7. I have just done a quick check (0400hrs) of the hotel reception/bar areas/room corridors and there are NO CCTV cameras anywhere. Easy target for criminals - as there is no evidence against crimes being committed.

8. 0850hrs (10 minutes before our taxi is due to arrive). The hotel manager Sebastian Darder arrives. He had already been made aware of the incident. Very nice of him to "rush" into work I thought - to comfort his guests who have been up all night. After some handshaking and back slapping and much apologising by Sebastian, I asked him about security at the hotel, specifically, the "lack of CCTV". He said "It is because some men want a room without their wives knowing about it and they don't want their images capturing!". He declined when I asked did I need to pay for the room last night as we spent all night chasing robbers from the room and arguing with staff as, "He was not in charge of the money at the hotel", but what he could do, was "When we return next year, we can have a Sea-View room at no extra cost". Although how this can be authorised by Sebastian when, "He is not in charge of the money at the hotel", I'm not quite sure.

9. 0900hrs. At this point, our taxi arrived and I settled the bill for the full 8 nights.

Crimes can be committed against guests here and there will be NO evidence that it ever happened. I will NOT be taking up the hotels' offer of a free sea-view upgrade as there will be no next tome. If you are travelling here DO NOT leave anything of any value in the room and try not to get a room near stairwell/lift. DO NOT leave your hotel guest card detailing your name and length of stay on view in the room and hide your passports.

Room Tip: If you can afford it, go for a renovated sea-view room.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
5  Thank Ian B
Reviewed 14 July 2014

We recently booked a holiday at the Sol Cala Blanca, we were shocked when we walked down the corridor to our room and even more shocked when entering our room, the door wouldn't close without a good push from the shoulder, it was dark, depressing, and really old fashioned, the old airconditioning unit that was on the wall as high as a radiator was thick black underneath, the toilet roll holder was coming away from the wall, curtains wouldn't pull open to let some well needed light in the room furniture really old and tired. I asked to be upgraded ( I didn't mind paying extra) to a renovated room but was told there wasn't any, and it was a take it or leave it attitude from the receptionist! This was not a 4* room, we have the last 3 years had holidays in 4* Hotels and they streets above this, this was disgraceful. We had to stay the night as our flight was delayed so never arrived until midnight & was kept awake half the night with deliveries to the bars and shops opposite. I kept asking to see the Manager, was told he would be arriving at 9.15, then told he would be later, never got to see him and checked out. This Hotel was one of the more expensive in Palmanova, which is probably ok if you had a renovated room but not for what we had. If only the room was like the reception area! Staff not helpful at all!

Room Tip: My tip would be to upgrade when booking and not to go for a room on the street side, get a sea view which is a renovated room!
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
5  Thank Elaine M
JavierBonet, Director de Relaciones Públicas at Sol Beach House Mallorca, responded to this reviewResponded 21 July 2014

Dear Elaine M,
Sorry if our facilities were not what you expected and suddenly you decide to leave the hotel. As we informed you, all our sea view rooms were occupied and obviously you should wait for a free one. Regarding the external noise during the night, it was a single event, momentary and strange in this area, and which out of our hands.
Sorry because it seems to be an addition of circumstances that did your holidays were not satisfactory. Looking forwards that you give us another chance in the future. Kind Regards

Reviewed 13 July 2014

mr simon and Debbie Donoghue just back after 4visits in this fab hotel greeted by the luvly marc atreception .met luvly people who have been going year after year new décor looked luvly too look forward to next year to return to our second home deb and sim sunderland

Room Tip: room 106 first floor overlooking pool and sea
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank nathan d

Dear NathanD,
Thank you for writing your opinion through this site, you can help other people to decide to visit Sol Beach House Cala Blanca and find, like you, their home on the beach in Mallorca. It will be a pleasure to receive you. See you soon. Kind Regards

Reviewed 12 July 2014

Me and my husband enjoyed a 2 week stay at this hotel in June(our 2nd visit to this hotel)! This time we stayed in a sea view room,it was really beautiful.,we were so pleased as we upgraded on our arrival. Some of the staff recognised us,which was really nice.Lovely clean hotel,maid service is great,Staff are very friendly and the food is so good .Entertainment nice !! Only one thing was annoying is that there was no sunbeds left around the pool,we saw people putting towels on them the night before and then not using them till afternoon! Everything else...spot on!! love the new colour and all the wonderful happy signs around the hotel.

Room Tip: Sea view room is lovely.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Wrenny195 ...
You make us happy knowing that once again, your stay at Sol Beach House Cala Blanca has been nice and you want to repeat the experience. Your comments about the staff, cleanliness, food, entertainment and facilities will be communicated to all our employees. Looking forwards to see you soon. Regards.