“Palma Nova Palace”

Ranked #21 of 39 Hotels in Palmanova
Newcastle, United Kingdom
“Palma Nova Palace”
Reviewed 6 September 2013

Well we have just returned from this hotel and trust me its not a 4 star i would say more 3 star, the rooms are a bit dated but are clean and tidy.Food was very good and staff were friendly in the restaurant.Now for the bad bits Pool area is tiny for sun bathing and very confined.We spent alot of time going to the Beach , Entertainment at the hotel is rubbish so most nights went out to the local pubs, As the drinks they served at the hotel was very cheap plonk.But my big concerne was a lot of items were going missing from rooms like Money, mobile phones,perfume,cig's,etc,so we were on our guard all the time we were there so it was'nt relaxing and we had a safe which was a waste of time as they were getting broken into ,we were told it was happening to all the hotels in the area.Also there was also a strong smell of sewage about the hotel.will not be going back even if they paid me.

3 Thank a c
HiHotels, Manager at Globales Palmanova Palace Hotel, responded to this review, 18 September 2013
Thank you for your feedback.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (250)
  • Czech first
  • Polish first
Belfast, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 September 2013 via mobile

I stayed here with a friend from 27th August - 3rd September. We are both in our 20s and even tho this hotel was ok it was not for us as we would prefer closer to Magaluf.
When we checked in it was late (delayed flight by 5 hours) the reception staff got us in without a problem and they had even plated up a salad for us due to us missing dinner (arrived 1.30am). I thought this was a nice touch.
After getting up to our room we literally just collapsed and went to bed after being tired and decided we would check everything the next day.
The maid opened our door round 9am but all we wanted to do was sleep from the long journey.
We got up and checked our room out and everything was fine apart from the bathroom being quite small. Our room overlooked the pool which was nice.
We decided after reading other reviews we would get a safe which was EUR 25 plus EUR 5 deposit (which we never got back). Can't complain about anything being stolen as I left my kindle phone camera lying on the bed when we went to the pool and they were neatly put on the cabinet when the maid had cleaned.
The pool side is quite small for the amount of loungers there are and for the amount of people who would stay in the hotel.
Lunch and dinner were good. Plenty of salad and choice. We did not realise though about where the snacks were until stumbling upon it one day.
Reception staff were all so friendly. Bar staff however a bit different. One night having a drink in the bar we were asked were we sitting inside or outside (plastic cups for outside glass ones inside) we said in and she just went to us 'outside is better' and have us outside cups even tho she saw us sit in so just contradicted us which I wasn't impressed with!!
This hotel is definitely not 4* as we walked into a 2/3* one night as we got lost walking back from Magaluf and it looked like it should have been 4*.
I would recommend this hotel to the older generation as it just did not suit us and there were a lot more older ones (50+) rather than our age (over 18 hotel).

• Stayed August 2013
1 Thank Samantha D
Thank you for your positive feedback.
England
Reviewed 4 September 2013

After all the talk of thefts from safes etc. we were understandably concerned and ensured we booked the safe as soon as we checked in. Whilst we were there we always put valuables like Kindles in the safe so were very careful. However we did not notice any disturbance of our room, nothing went missing and we saw no evidence of any trouble of this kind in the hotel the week we were there.
The food was very good, varied and tasty and very rarely not re-filled promptly. Only let down was the desserts, not interesting at all.
Entertainment was mediocre and boring, hotel was very clean and all of the staff were pleasant and helpful. I think it is very rare to get good entertainment at an all-inclusive so the other factors outweigh it when deciding upon my rating.
Overall very good.

Room Tip: High floor, we were in 601, very good choice over-looking the pool.
2 Thank jim98
Thank you for writing such a positive comment about the hotel.
Caerphilly, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 September 2013

I'm not normally the type of person to write a review good or bad just for you to know.

Me and my partner stayed at this hotel from the 27TH AUG till 3 SEPT 2013
not a four star hotel by any means.
It's such a shame the hotel is nice and clean the rooms are nice but dated, the cleaners work hard. However I found MOST of the staff very rude, they barely acknowledge you they make out like by them serving you they are doing you a great favour. None of them made a fuss at the bar and the service was poor. The pints were rubbish however I expect this from all inclusive but I least expect the pint to be full. Well you cant even call them pints they are in a plastic cup which isn't even half a pint!! They wasn't full it would be mostly froth. My boyfriend drank 20 of these and still felt stone cold sober and he isn't even a big drinker! The shorts are ok. but not the best. When I stay at other places normally people make a fuss of you and make conversation but the staff here just couldn't be bothered.

The food was lovely couldn't fault it. So many different dishes of food everyday such as: chicken curry, lasagne, cooked dinner on a Sunday, pork chops paella, fish, loads of deserts- cakes, jelly, yoghurt anything you could imagine they done it. and it was to an excellent standard. Breakfast was my favourite meal of the day. The had our sausages not the Spanish rubbish which made a very big difference. Snacks were crap, unless you don't mind eating tinned hotdogs everyday then don't go to snack, I went to snack twice but there are facilities were you can make yourself a sandwich or a toastie, which wasn't bad. You cannot take food out of the restaurant which Is normal but would of been nice to be able to take a little something down to the pool to eat now and then or enjoy the sun whilst having dinner.

The entertainment was ok but not the best but better than nothing. We did have a giggle and GAZ AND KAY work extremely hard and do very well considering they don't have much to do. They always put on activies in day and night- such as darts, bowles they were quite cringey but that's their job, I over heard them the one day arguing as gaz wanted to leave as he was fed up working there. I don't blame him, They work damn hard day and night they didn't get a rest and I expect it was rubbish money too. The night entertainment was Ok but was repetitive the artist were terrible but what do you want for free? eh.

THEFT- sorry to say but this was true and a very big issue. Whilst we were there there had been 4 robberies just what we had heard off. Don't bother getting a safe cause they still got into them even know you had to make your own code and password up. I could of cried for these 3 young girls,they had a safe and someone had taken a camera out and 350 euros out of their safe which they were going to use as a kitty to go to magaluf with but couldn't because it was stolen. They told reception and the reception attitude to it was disgusting. All the said was cant help you you have to go to police which they did. It was obviously an inside job. They reckon it was the maintenance man and I agree he used to hang around the hallways behind corners on his phone at all hours. Now why would he be doing that. A couple told us they heard the phone going off in their room but didn't answer and then he showed up making the excuse your shower is broke when it was perfectly fine. Others had tobacco stolen. This made us very uncomfortable so we took all our stuff out of our safe and had to carry it around with us at all times. Now who wants to do that on holiday?? YOU SHOULDNT HAVE TO. it made us feel uncomfortable carrying it with us as we was paranoid someone might mug us but then too scared to leave it in the safe.They one day we made sure we shut the wardrobe tight where the safe was and we come back and the slidding door was OPEN. people asked for money back for safe as they were being broke into but they would only give you your 5 euro deposit back.

Pool area. Small pool, loads of sunbeds but no where to put them, such a small area. Had to be up early if you wanted a spot and you had to move your sunbeds every hour according to the sun which was annoying and not very relaxing.

This holiday has totally put me off spain. The weather was rubbish 3 days of rain although that's not the hotels fault.

I would not recommend this hotel and think that Thomas cook should take it out of their brochure. Even the Thomas cook rep who was there at the welcome meeting etc said he wish he didn't represent this hotel, and thieving is rife there.

Its such a shame cause its so clean and food is great but you can get that else where and feel safe.

4 Thank steph O
Thank you for writing your comment.There is ar on going investigation into the robberies . The management and police are working together to attempt to put a stop to it.

Travellers are raving about these Palmanova hotels

Ballymena, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 September 2013

Having just returned from the Hi Palmanova Palace, I really struggle to see how this hotel manages to get away with a four star rating. It's clearly not, and in fact I've stayed in better 3 star hotels.

Pros :- Well one thing you can't accuse the hotel of being is untidy, it's spotless. The rooms were always kept immaculate, the hotel as a whole was very tidy and the staff were very friendly and mostly helpful. Oh and the all inclusive drinks package was pretty good.

Now the cons, you may want to sit down in a comfy chair, this could take a while.

The outside area has a tiny swimming pool and a narrow poolside area surrounded by a high wall on one side and the hotel on the other which means to get a day in the sunshine you have to constantly move your lounger. Mildly annoying.

The food was utter garbage. Now if you like things swimming in grease and overcooked, you may find things you liked. If you like proper 4 star hotel food, you certainly won't get it here. Lunch and Dinner followed the same pattern, a selection of cold meats and cheeses, pasta, salad and ten hot dishes. The ten hot dishes were always split, 2 potato, 2 vegetable, 1 or 2 fish and 4 or 5 meat. No matter what you chose it was always disappointing at best and disgusting at worst. The fact is, the wife and I had breakfast each morning, lunch 3 times and dinner once (and even then we went out for something else) on an All Inclusive basis says it all.
One final thing. A four star, adults only hotel that serves food such as fish fingers and chicken nuggets??? Really?

The Noise. A constant problem. You got to bed at night and every night something or someone was keeping you awake. If someone was at the pool area the noise got amplified by the surroundings. If someone was in the room beside you talking, you heard everything. You could hear the traffic from the main road. You hear the dragging of sunbeds, the bars getting restocked, toilets flushing everything.....although I can't blame the hotel for the epic thunderstorm that kept us awake on the first night...

The entertainment, lets keep this brief. It is disappointing, but having talked to the rep he was put in an awkward situation and well outside his comfort zone. So although it was standard fair, well done to Gaz and Kay for making such a conscious effort.

The rooms. Although I've stated how clean they were, they were also dated and poorly furnished. Again not up to four star standard. The air conditioning unit really should be checked for asthma as it weezed without accomplishing too much. In fact nothing sums up the whole hotel decor better than "Clean but dated".

The dining room was narrow and trying to get about it was awkward.

The location is alright, about a quarter of a mile from the strip,unfortunately it sits right beside a chapel and the main road, so expect disruption.

We booked an excursion through the hotel to the water park for Saturday morning. Were told by the receptionist where to go to get the transfer. Stood for three quarters of an hour, no bus. Went back to the hotel to check we were in the right place and were told the transport only runs Monday to Friday. A fact not mentioned when we were booking. Thus or "Free transport" cost us 13euros in taxi fares.

The other guests. A weird mix. Many older returning guests, many very young guests. Turns out the hotel is overflow for Club 18-30.

One final thing. One evening we arrived back to our room to find a piece of cardboard had been cut to form a wedge that was put in the keycard slot. Now since I saw the maids using a master card, I can only assume we got a visit from someone curious who didn't know we had purchased a safe.

So how to sum up this hotel.

Well, if you want a hotel that's clean, away from the main strip and rather relaxed, then you are not far away. However if you want a hotel that's genuinely four star, you are a mile off. I'd say this is a three star hotel at best, and even then it would be a fairly average 3 star hotel. The dining experience is woeful, the noise overpowering, the whole experience majorly disappointing.

My advice for the bosses of Hi are to send some of their staff to Group Hotel in Camp de Mar to see how a proper hotel operates.

Oh and take ear plugs and buy a safe.

2 Thank Reidy777
HiHotels, Manager at Globales Palmanova Palace Hotel, responded to this review, 5 September 2013
Thank you for your comprehensive feedback
Wolverhampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 August 2013

came back a week ago from hi palmanova with my partner,lovely hotel,clean,rooms cleaned every day,the food was nice something different every night the only dissapointment was the snacks on the night all they do is hotdogs every night so abit more choice would be good,entertainment was rubbish was always inside every night which would of been nice to have it outside in the nice weather, we had to go down out every night as the entertainment was that bad,i would stay there again if they had better stuff on of a night.

Room Tip: ask for a pool view as theres not much of one the other side.
1 Thank Soph S
Reviewed 28 August 2013

me an my partner stayed 1week at this hotel returning 24august bar staff excellent victory your the main man an isabell they all work hard the only thing that lets this place do is the inside theving from the staff we always had this at the back of minds. When around pool I thought the age group diffrence would be problem but everyone was great bit out way from main strip of palma nova over all good place to. Holiday

• Stayed August 2013