“a good value clean friendly central hotel”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Hotel Don Bigote

Hotel Don Bigote
Ranked #27 of 39 Hotels in Palmanova
Stirling, United Kingdom
“a good value clean friendly central hotel”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 June 2010

just spent a great week here with my mum. hotel was in good location for shops cafes bars. the staff were friendly and helpful restaurant was very good and good choice of food every day even for a very fussy eater like me. tables were cleared quickly by friendly waiters. rooms cleaned every day. we had 6th floor room overlooking pool area which was spotless. 1st time in palma nova and will certainly go back again and stay in this hotel.only fault we would say was lack of entertainment in evening but could be too early in season.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled with friends
2 Thank baranne26

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (394)
essex
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 June 2010

booked one week half board with my sister. Because of cost had low expectations.
The food was excellent with lots of choice. The staff were friendly and helpful. This was the ONLY hotel which I have ever known to get English breakfast right! It should be more than 2star buy hey don't tell everyone as I want to go back again and again.
Only complaint would be about the steps up to hotel. Around 4 or 5 steep steps up which to lug cases etc. There is wheelchair access (slope) but it necessitates asking for a side door to be specially opened. Our room faced front and had morning sun. Little bit noisy. Would have preferred a room overlooking pool with afternoon sun.

• Stayed May 2010
1 Thank buntyofbasildon
Luton
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 May 2010

The worst hotel I have ever stayed in. NO TELEVISION in any room, very little entertainment (3 nights entertainment and 2 of those were Bingo and Karioke), poor quality accommodation (could not swing a cat in the room) poor standard of meals very much the same everyday. People screaming throughout the night and the hotel management seeming impetant to do anything for those decent people who wanted to sleep. Smoking in the Lobby with clear NO SMOKING signs, staff oblivious to this. Mine was a holiday from hell.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled as a couple

Travellers are raving about these Palmanova hotels

scarborough
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 May 2010

don;t listen to the moaning few, good place to stay if you have have a heart that is still beating

• Stayed May 2010, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with CoopTravel

England, Essex
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 May 2010

Pretty much agree with one of the previous reviews and can’t really add too much The review was - “Value For What You Get“

This was a DIY holiday and just a cheap 5 day getaway so we didn’t want to spend alot and booked this hotel.

We wanted somewhere in Palma Nova away from the noise of Magaluf but close enough so that we could walk there for the couple of nights we wanted.

Don Bigote fitted what we were after and had some half decent reviews on tripadvisor, some of the other cheap hotels seemed to have some awful reviews and knowing the Don Bigote only offered halfboard was a bonus as those only going away only to drink I guess tend to stick to all inclusives.

Anyway quick breakdown, Two of us went out there for 5 nights halfboard, 25yr old male and 23yr old female. Flights with ryanair £140 total, transfers booked via Alpharooms £30 return for 2 people (transfer company was Jumbo Tours who used Transunion coaches), hotel booked through alpharooms website £135 - total cost £153 each person

Great location just 2 minutes walk from the beach, plenty of shops + a few bars nearby, we had a room overlooking the road at the front of the hotel and didn’t have a problem with noise from Banana Joes bar at the very end of the road (just far enough away so you don’t get disturbed), 10 minutes walk from Magaluf (all flat ground so pretty easy going)

The room was pretty dated and very basic but did the job, the shower was nice and powerful and always hot enough! And the cleaners did a good job and made sure we always had fresh towels etc. very clean rooms

When we arrived we noticed the door lock was a bit loose, I asked reception for a screwdriver to do it myself but she made a note in a book and later the same day it had been resolved!

If you’ve looked into the hotel you’ll know there are no TV’s in the rooms, take an ipod with speakers or have a phone with music or something similar. Always nice to have some background noise when just relaxing in the room before dinner or before going out.

Large bar area with 2 pool tables (1 euro a game), Tv’s normally showing a music channel or sky news!

Internet available at a charge near reception - 1 euro for 15 minutes

The Pool and area around it was of a good size, we went in May and never had a problem getting 2 sunbeds around the pool.

Food - as mentioned in the previous review really, breakfast average, usually just stuck to having some fresh bread rolls and some sausages, orange juice. Everyone could find something to eat though and I’d say it was a pretty average.

Dinner, something for everyone but not amazing, deserts were always good though, choice of ice creams, cakes, jelly, fruits.

Other guests, we went mid May and found 70% of guests were probably 40years + , this was a plus point though as we wanted to be able to sleep at night and not be disturbed too much from people getting back from Magaluf. On the day we went home things had started to change and 3-4 groups consisiting of 10-15 people had arrived and were obviously a little louder than the previous guests. I imagine it could be mostly full of people wanting to party hard in June / July

Overall I’d say the hotel is alright, pretty average, no horror stories but nothing special either.

If we went back to Palma Nova I think we’d spend the extra and stay somewhere else, don’t let that put you off though.

2 Thank Dave_Essex
Bury
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 May 2010

I hope to give an unbiased view on here and answer the questions that I had before I went.

Background

Me and my girlfriend stayed at this hotel from 19th May 2010 to 23rd May 2010 (4 nights).We are both 25 so wanted somewhere to chill out where we could also get some nightlife as well. We managed to get flights with Ryanair from Leeds for £47 return each. The hotel cost us £100 for 4 nights ie £50 each or £12.50 per night each. This was half board and so we were unsure what the hotel was going to be like for them to be able to give us a room to stay and give us breakfast and evening meal for £12.50 per night.

Location

We took a taxi from the airport as we only had hand luggage and so we were at the hotel within 40 minutes of landing at Palma. The hotel is literally 70 metres from the beach front which includes all the bars along it. I've been to Magaluf the last 3 years with the lads and so know my way around. The Magaluf strip is only a 10minute walk maximum and you pass a few lively bars on the way such as Banana Joes in Palmanova and then Eastenders and Prince William on the edge of the strip. Personally, I'd say the hotel is perfect for couples, older people and stag/hen do's. Its got the quietness of Palmanova as well as being very colose to the madness of Magaluf.

Room

When booking I requested a room on a high floor with a sea/pool view. We checked in at 2.30pm and the staff were very friendly. We were given room 709 (top floor) overlooking the pool and perfect for the afternoon sun. The room itself is basic with twin beds pushed together, a wardrobe, table and balcony. The bathroom had a bath/shower. The room was perfect for our needs as all we did was sleep and get changed there. We encountered an elderly couple in the lift and they did say that we were lucky to be on the top floor as it was quiet here, they'd been on the 1st floor and asked to be moved as they said people were still making noise at....... 2am. I mean c'mon you're on holiday and so 2am isn't late. We did notice they tended to put the hen/stag do's on the lower floors. The rooms got cleaned every day and the beds were made up. The walls were a little thin as you could hear next doors shower being turned on and you could also hear them banging around.

I can't peak highly enough of the food. It saved us a fortune as we had breakfast and dinner there all 4 nights. Breakfast is a full english buffet style. Streaky Bacon as per usual in Spain, Eggs, English Sausages, Beans, Tomatoes, Toast. There was also various cereals and fresh fruit and free orange and pineapple juice. For dinner there was always soup of the day, a lovely salad selection with cold meats and then mains with 3 or 4 choices. I'd say the mains were average but we were always getting full after the soup and salads. The desserts are excellent. Various ice creams and fresh cakes as well as fresh melon, pineapple and fruit. You have to pay for drinks yourself but these were reasonable.

Overall

I would most definitely go back to this hotel. I couldn't believe that we got it for £12.50 per night each. There was various types of people in the hotel, older couples, younger couples like us, hen/stag do's. There were hardly any families though. Although there were hen/stag do's, it was very peaceful during the day round the lovely pool. There were always sun loungers available. In fact me and my girlfriend would of liked to of heard a bit of music round the pool as it was a bit too quiet.

As long as you're not looking for 5 star luxury, I wouldn't hesitate to stay here. For the price you pay for half board, I doubt that you will find anywhere better. I think the people who have written bad reviews must be expecting luxury but if you want a good base with nic epool area and decent food do not hesitate to come here.

I'm sorry if this is a lengthy review but I know what questions I want answered when I read them so i hope this has answered a few for you. :-)

• Stayed May 2010, travelled as a couple
11 Thank stotty11
southampton
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 May 2010

The only thing we did'nt like about this hotel was that it caters for groups of hen and stag parties.. The actions and language of drunken people around the pool side during the day was both offensive and embarissing. We heard of complaints of noise at night but being on the top floor it did'nt affect us.
Beaware that it is a 2 star hotel, but in saying that it is a good hotel. The rooms are a little on the small side. They are very clean. There is limited shelf space in the bathroom.The food is just about bearable on a two week stay. The pool is large with an area cordoned off for the youngsters. We would not recommend this hotel to a family with youngish children as there is not much for them to do in the hotel (no daytime activities). The entertainment is sparse and the bar has no stage so the entertaineers perform on the floor in the alley way between the smoking and no smoking section of the lounge area. This is unsatisfactory both to the performers and guests.
As we've said this is a two star hotel, dont expect much more. You get what you pay for. We do recommend the cafe/bar SCANDIA opposite the hotel. Its very good value.