“Aged from 6 to 66, our party of 10 loved it...”
Review of AluaSun Torrenova

AluaSun Torrenova
Ranked #17 of 38 Hotels in Palmanova
Reviewed 24 July 2014

We arrived to a warm welcome and ready rooms and were instantly pleased with our choice of hotel. Our teenage children found a double bed in their room, we asked for a twin and were instantly moved, no problem. The quality and choice of food was excellent, what others found to moan about I have no idea. Not Michelin quality I agree but fantastic breakfasts plentiful snacks & lunches and hot, well cooked evening meals with home & holiday tastes allowed for. 2 drinks at a time for AI was fine, they would allow 2 alcoholic and soft drinks, in less than half pint glasses but it really wasn't a problem, didn't stop the ladies in our party getting drunk on dark rum & coke on the first night, early nights all round!
If I was being picky, I would say that the entertainment was average (but I've seen worse) the wine was not special, and the toilet seat never stayed up...but I don't go on holiday to be picky, I go on holiday to relax and enjoy, and that we did

Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
9  Thank Richard E
Write a ReviewReviews (2,119)

Reviewed 24 July 2014

10 days at this hotel and we've had a great time. Clean, friendly staff, great variety of food and drink , good entertainment day and night. Pools are good only downside is the sun lounger battle in the morning. Doors to the pool open at 8.30 and people start queuing from 8. If you want a good spot you just need to play the game! Funny to watch from your balcony :) Plenty of tables & chairs round the pool too so not a tragedy if you don't get a lounger everyday. Only other slight downside is the hotel is at the top of a hill so walking back from the beach or town centre made the kids grumble a bit! All in its a great hotel and I'd recommend it to others.

Room Tip: Ask for sea view otherwise your view is a busy street that could be a bit noisy!
4  Thank Leanne H
Reviewed 23 July 2014 via mobile

I have stopped in many hotels in this area and i must say this has got to be the better one by far.

The location is brilliant which is very close to the magaluf strip and the shops, with a small local shop within walking distance, the beach which is very nice is in walking distance as well of about 5 mins.

The entertainment in the hotel is brilliant all the reps are extremely kind and friendly and are brilliant with the kids as well the adults with adults getting involved every chance as well.

Food and drink is very good with if you have gone all inclusive the meals have a wide variety for everyones taste as well to cover for the little ones as well, drinks at the bar are very good (not shy with the alcohol which you cant complain) the bar staff are brilliant well mannered.

Overall a brilliant stay would recommend to anyone with family small or older kids.

• Stayed: July 2014
4  Thank WFH2014
Reviewed 23 July 2014

I read many a bad review about this hotel but found that most of the complaints were by...idiots quite frankly. Don't get me wrong, there are good points and bad; so here they are.

Good points! In no particular order.
1. Transfer time of less than 30 mins.
2. Great breakfast, similar to what you would get at a British hotel, but still very good.
3. Friendly staff.
4. Good choice of well presented, tasty meals at dinner.
5. Good choice of all inclusive drinks.
6. Clean hotel.
7. Animation team are exceptionally good.

Bad points! In no particular order.
1. Had to pay for wifi €15 per 7 days per device and it was shockingly slow and only really worked in hotel lobby.
2. Had to pay €30 for a room safe for 11 nights.
3. Despite being all inclusive, had to buy towels for sun beds as none provided.
4. Hardly any room around pool.
5. Only (maybe) 12 parasols in entire hotel.
6. The sunbed queue starts at 7am and doors open at 8:30 am and is a complete farce.
7. The lunch offering is quite a let down when you consider the breakfast and dinner options.
8. The snack bar is woefull.
9. They seem to try and get you either extras - such as having premium drinks and treats advertised everywhere you go.
10. No bottled water offered and hesitant to refill anything unless it's a kids cup.
11. We had a double bed and two 'camp' beds in the room. Hardly any room at all to move. Maybe bunk beds would be better???

Tips!
1. Steve from the animation team does a small Spanish class on a Sunday. Highly recommend.

Would we stay here again? Probably as despite the bad points, it is very nice. It was very close to the Magaluf strip and we seen some people in awful states. The further you go I to Palmanova, the nicer it seemed.

Room Tip: High sea view roots have great views. Pool side toons very noisey.
5  Thank mark watkins
Reviewed 22 July 2014

I have recently stayed a this hotel for a week from the 8th July to the 15th with my boyfriend, friend and her boyfriend, which are all 20 years of age. After reading some of the reviews before leaving I was not looking forward to my stay at this hotel. As we arrived at the hotel the staff were lovely and the check in process was very simple and we had our room keys within 2 minutes of arriving. Our first impressions of the room was that they were small and very warm! However, when we stayed, the room was a suitable size and we wouldn't have needed any bigger! We then switched the air conditioning on which was brilliant and the room was freezing by the time we got back!! All the staff were very friendly and very hard working, there would never be any glasses left in our room or near our sunbeds as someone would be collecting them throughout the day non stop. We also had a problem with our balcony door not locking and as soon as we reported it to reception it was done within 10 minutes.
The beach is a 2 minute walk away and it beautiful, im not a fan of the beach, but I loved this one! There are also plenty of pubs and restaurants to go to along Palma Nova's beach front and Magaluf, you will definitely not get around them all in a week!!
The pools were lovely and clean all through our weeks stay and there are 3 different pools for all different ages and the entertainment for children is very good and they will enjoy! However, once we overheard one of the ladies working for the children's team not being very kind to one of the children and as I am a childcare worker myself I personally did not like the attitude towards the child.
The breakfast at this hotel was lovely had everything on offer such as sausage, egg, bacon etc. However, I wasn't too keen on the lunch time and evening meals. However, there was a lot of variety and I am not one for trying new things, so others may think this is great! You will not starve though as there is always something to eat such as chips, fruit, pizza etc.

All in all, this was an enjoyable holiday!!

Room Tip: Get pool view as the view is not very good otherwise!
4  Thank xsoph13x
Reviewed 20 July 2014

I arrived home from The Marina Torrenova on the 17th July after a weeks stay. I went with my boyfriend who, like me, is 20 years old. We chose this location mostly based on the star rating and the location. I was a bit worried before going based on the mixed reviews on here but here is my opinion on different areas of the hotel.

Service:
The service of the staff was excellent! Always happy to help and smiling. An empty drinks glass was never left at the side of my sunbed or table for more than five minutes and were collected with a smile. The bar staff were friendly and served as quickly as they could, you were allowed four soft drinks and/or two alcoholic drinks at a time which was never an issue and there was never more than a five minute wait. The maids were great, better than any hotel I've stayed in (even 5 star) purely because whenever we saw them they we happy and said hello - one lady even helped us get into our room even though she was clearly overloaded with work! The reception staff couldn't be better - friendly and had plenty of time to help you. We asked them for directions on a few occasions as well as booked the al a carte restaurant, safe and wifi through them - constant smiles all the time!

Rooms:
We were lucky enough to have a double bed and a pool view which was lovely. The walls aren't very sound proof so if you are a light sleeper you might want to consider getting some earplugs however I have stayed in a 5* which mas much worse! The room was small ish but had a double bed, sofa bed, HUGE wardrobe with cupboards, two side tables with draws, a fridge, a tv, a large full length mirror and desk with a chair. Air conditioning was also really good! The bathroom was clean and towels were changed every day (you have to leave used towels in the bath for them to do this). The was a bath, shower, toilet, sink, huge mirror and a stool which I used to sit on to do my make-up at night. Like I said, a little small but enough room for the two of us and there were a few marks on the wall but if you are going to let that ruin your holiday you should consider staying in a hotel thats 5* or above - besides you are only in the room to sleep and get ready so what more can you want!?

Food:
The food was great. I can be quite a picky eater and I found something to eat everyday. For those people saying the food was repetitive I have no idea where you have got this from because the only thing that was available in the adults section every day without fail was chips, the rest was different! Kids buffet was great too - even for adults! We arrived on one of the special themed nights which was great, they baisically but a whole new section out for it with lots of small little starters - all of which I tried! On the first themed night we got a glass of champagne and on the second we got a glass of sangria - lovely!
We were also lucky enough to get a place at the al a carte restaurant which was fantastic! Food was lovely and a nice break from the buffet style food however I would advice you book this on your first day (between 9 and 10 in the morning) as spaces go fast!

WIFI:
If you are someone who needs wifi access constantly then do not go here because it is 15 Euros per device a week and logged me out about ten times a day. When I actually got onto the internet it was slow unless it was a time late at night where most people would be asleep.

Location:
This hotel has a fantastic location! There is SHORT hill down to palma nova beach which took me and my boyfriend about three minutes to walk too. On the other side is magaluf beach which was about a ten minute walk away, the strip was a bit closer but not enough to interrupt sleep at the hotel - excellent! With two different areas being so close by this provides you with so many different day trips and activities which are all within walking distance or wont cost much in a taxi!

Activities:
Pirates Reloaded:
This show was out of this world! So good! We visited the reloaded show which was adult themed and consequently very rude but hilarious and entertaining! Very talented acrobatics and dancers etc - a must visit! From what I saw at the reloaded show I'm sure the family friendly shows are just as amazing - definitely go!
The House of Katmando:
Again a great place to visit! We got a mega pack though the Thomas Cook travel agent which was about 35 Euros (I think) and well worth all the money! You are given tickets to use for each attraction meaning you dont have to do everything in one day! We did one round of crazy golf and the house (amazing!!) in one day, the next another round of gold of a different course and on the third day we did all four 4D/5D experience - fantastic! There was also a splash park, soft play area, and huge climbing obstacle course thing but we didn't go on these but they looked great - especially for kids.

Entertainment:
The entertainment was good, the reps worked really hard I don't know how they did it! There was always something to do for kids and adults in the day and the evening entertainment was good (again I have seen much worse entertainment in 5* hotels). It was the standard acrobatic shows, snake shows, parrot shows, karaoke and we had a grease tribute performed by the reps too.
If you don't like the entertainment though you wont be short of things to do on the night as Palma nova and Magaluf are so close! We went to the BCM foam party which was amazing, really fun experience! 35 Euros for entry and unlimited drinks all night, a free t shirt, bag and keyring. Magaluf really isn't as bad as everyone makes out, we walked though it at 5 in the morning and it was no worse than the Birmingham clubs on a Saturday. If you don't like clubs and drunk people, don't go there, simple! Palma Nova is closer anyway!

Overall I had a fabulous holiday and stay at this hotel. I would have given it 5/5 but the wifi and the sunbed situation lets it down. We found it difficult to find a sunbed as we didn't get down to the pool until 10 however if there were none available we would just go to the beach for a few hours as it was so close and when we returned there would be some beds available. Towards the end of the week they also introduced a new rule where if a sunbed had been unused for an hour then the towels would be taken off. These issues however are not things which really interfered with our holiday and most certainly didn't make it any less than a 4 star! If you are going to nit pick about small issues then you should consider a higher star. I'd also like to point out that noises made by other people staying in the hotel are not directly the hotels fault and would be dealt with if reported to reception, im sure.

If you are visiting here soon then dont worry! Its a lovely hotel and you will have a great time!

I'd also like to mention the the Palma airport is a bit of a mess, we waited nearly two hours in a passport control queue and as a result almost missed our flight with only five minutes to spare. I would advise when you arrive at the airport go straight to your gate and get through passport control. We didn't realise that there are plenty of places to eat in each individual gate and so ate breakfast in the main area before heading to our gate when the gate number was revealed. This was an airport layout we had never experienced before and all of the staff we laid back and unhelpful causing a massive build up at passport control outside our gate (Gate A). There were hundreds of people trying to get through and only two people checking passports! Ridiculous! We spoke with three groups of people all of which had missed their flight because of this issue. So get to your gate straight away!

Room Tip: Get a high floor with a pool view!
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
9  Thank Amy B
Reviewed 20 July 2014 via mobile

We've just returned from a weeks all inclusive at marina torrenova. The first thing I would say is ignore the bad reviews as I really don't understand where they are coming from. You get exactly what you pay for here. We paid £1600 last minute for 2 adults and 2 kids aged 7 & 4. The food was good and always a suitable variety although a week of eating various flavours of mousse for dessert did take it's toll haha! The gala nights were also Ok but had lots of seafood which I don't like but my husband loved. Hotel reception and public areas were very nice and always kept immaculate. Staff were all extremely friendly. The rooms themselves are basic but since you're only in there to wash, change and sleep in they are perfectly acceptable. Our room of 4 single beds made it very tight to move around but the addition of a fridge in each room is a great touch. The pillows are fine but pretty skinny, nothing a call to reception for some extra pillows wouldn't sort! As with the other reviews the pool situation is quite laughable. You need to be downstairs around 0800-0815 to queue up for the door to be opened at 0830 to get your towels on sun loungers. Most folks head straight for the main pool and shallow kids pool. We spent the week down at the kids splash pool which is much quieter and never had the on mass sprint for sun loungers but you do still need to get down pretty early to get a decent spot. Plenty parasols/shaded areas around both kids pools but none around the main pool. Evening entertainment was good fun for both kids and adults. Kids shows, adult music quizzes etc although we never did win at the bingo but was still good fun. The entertainment team really do a fantastic job and work tirelessly. On the AI drinks note, alcoholic drinks are served in plastic half pint glasses which works well, not tiny glasses as mentioned in other reviews. You can only get 2 drinks at once but my husband got himself two beers at the start of the evening (estrella beer and not flat in the slightest) then went back for a vodka for me. Large measures meant my one drink lasted his two beers. Large queues at the bar is normal but they move very quickly so not an issue either. The only bad points about this hotel I would raise is that the bedroom floors never seemed to be swept very well, a bit of a pain coming out of the shower each night and having to dust off your feet before putting your shoes on. Also although this is an AI hotel you still have to pay for kids snacks in the evening (crisps, lollies etc) and although the bar menu mentions ice cream is included it is not. Only basic ice lollies, you need to pay for the ice cream cones! I also agree with some other reviews that some parents did let their kids run wild whilst they took advantage of the AI drinks till midnight. Most nights we would sit on our balcony and watch the little demons push sun loungers into the pool and generally run around screaming causing havoc. This was the most off putting element of the whole holiday and is in no way a reflection of the hotel itself and was probably just our bad luck. We probably wouldn't return here but only on the basis that we generally like to do our own thing and don't like to be restricted to set eating times. This is the first time we've done AI in europe and will likely b the last. For info although the restaurant serves evening meals till 9:30 the kids station closed at 8:30 which we learnt on the first night. All in we did have a fab holiday and would recommend if you like the AI set up, it just wasn't for us.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family