“Value for money hotel with fantastic sea views”

Intertur Palmanova Bay
Ranked #8 of 39 Hotels in Palmanova
Wigan
“Value for money hotel with fantastic sea views”
Reviewed 31 October 2011

Stayed ALL INCLUSIVE at the Hawaii Terranova in the last week of the season during the school holidays, first of all the views fron the majority of the rooms and balconies are fantastic most are of the sea and overlooking Palma Nova bay, i emailed the hotel a few days before arriving and requested a sea view room which we got.
The apartment was basic but spacious, nice sized bathroom with bath and shower, kitchen facilities included a fridge, toaster and kettle, the only complaint was the bed 2 x single beds, the mattresses were very uncomfortable, if you suffer from a back problems the mattresses will not help even with consumption of alcohol, i resorted to lifting the settee matress and placed it on my matress to improve the situation, otherwise an adaquate room for our stay.
Maid service 6 days out of 7 and towels were changed
The staff are all very friendly and helpful.
All inclusive meals are adaquate with a variety of foods for differents tastes, but you get what you pay for good basic food, children are well catered for.
The pool side bar which has excellent views does not allow glasses, all drinks served in plastic glasses, which is a good thing has plenty of families with children use this hotel.
For a family with children on a budget this is a great hotel and not too far from the beach, but if you are a couple the best time to visit would be during term time
There are numerous bars near by, the majority were closed due to the last week of the holiday season.
If you are a picky serial complaining person this hotel will not suit you, but if you are easy going and not over picky this hotel is a value for money choice.
Please be aware the Hawaii Hotel is next door so make sure you book and review the correct hotel

Room Tip: Rooms at poolside level will not have privacy, first and second floor rooms have privacy and good vi...
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
11 Thank WiganChris1968

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (420)
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
Liverpool
Reviewed 31 October 2011

I think I am with a lot of people who remark at the very reasonable price of this hotel. I took a group of people here for a family celebration and so cost was important. I was not expecting much. However, I will highlight the positives first. The views are exceptional, the food is excellent - both quality and variety. The rooms are spacious and the staff friendly and helpful.

The not so good bits is that the wine was dreadful. Although our room had an excellent view, this was overlooking the pool which has table tennis tables around it and It was very noisy with groups of youths. The hotel is also on a very steep hill. Whilst not an issue for me - it was for the older people in the group. The evening entertainment was not to me taste.

Overall - it was a very pleasant stay. I would go back again if I could get it for a similar price. I would not class this as a negative review - because I had an excellent 5 days here.

3 Thank JohnnySpider
Sunderland, United Kingdom
Reviewed 31 October 2011

Went for a week all inclusive and would first like to say that i will not be back,
where shall i start.

Hotel basic ( but you get what you pay for)hot food dreadful ,breakfast good for first 3 days then cold and chips added to menu for breakfast ,great if you like pizza for tea everyday , salad bar good selection as was the sweet,

Rooms very basic ( not even a bottle or tin opener in draw)
bed not bad but another family who where with us said bed was like sleeping on a rock.
biggest complaint was the noise as this hotel is on the main road and you hear every bus , car , person, cat and dog from about 5 am onwards

If this was in the summer then it would have been unbearable
Staff friendly and helpful

Overall if you want a cheap holiday with no sleep then hawaii torrenova is for you , i would say go to palma nova but please pick another hotel

1 Thank davisonpaul2
Scotland
Reviewed 29 October 2011

Just back from the Hawaii apartments and on the whole, it wasn't that bad. We did the usual trip advisor checks to see what it was like and were a bit worried about some of the negative reviews that were being posted. I always keep an open mind about Trip advisor reviews, tending to find that a bad experience on holiday usually gets blown out of all proportion, but none the less, I was a bit worried about some comments about security and noise. I needn't have worried about the former as I found the complex a safe place for families to relax in. As for the latter, there was some noise at night of people returning from the bar, but not enough for me to foam at the mouth and threaten to expose the hotel to a bad review!
We booked this holiday through On The Beach (for the second time) and the holiday started with a very decent flight on Easyjet. Absolutely no problems with the experience and actually enjoyed the flight. On landing at Palma, our transfer was waiting for us and about 60 minutes later we were dropped off at the Hawaii Apartments. Check in was handled very well by a pleasant member of staff who clearly explained the layout of the complex. We were very lucky to be given an apartment that looked right on to Palmanova. I did do some checking later to see the other apartments and their views. Although most are looking out over the sea, there are some better than others. The apartment was clean and basic and would suit us fine.the only real complaint about the apartment was the beds were very uncomfortable. We caught the last of the Saturday nights entertainment and enjoyed a drink in the bar.
Next morning was our first experience of the dining room and I was pleasantly surprised. Great selection of different breakfast items from English to continental with freshly baked bread every day. Waiting staff were quick in clearing tables and the tables were well laid out. Good sized dining room but I think it would get very busy in the high season. Lunch, again was a very good assortment of dishes and salads and a fantastic range of sweets and fruit. Beer and wine was on tap at lunch and dinner and the food was very good. Same for dinner as well. No complaints whatsoever about the dining room or the food.
Hawaii apartments are situated about 200 yards from the beach and shops, down a bit of a hill. Getting back up would be just about manageable for someone with walking difficulties. The beach is great, with soft sand and a shallow sea shore. Expect to pay around 11 euro for 2 loungers with a shade. Lots of places to eat close to the beach with the usual fare. Eating out could become quite expensive.
The Hawaii entertainment was pretty naff but it always is in these places. We did struggle to find a seat as they were taken up quite quickly, We did get friendly with another family and managed to sit with them most nights.Good kids facilities with a mini disco and entertainers.
All in all, the Hawaii Torrenova was a decent place for a decent price, costing around 28 euro per night per person all inclusive.Would I stay here again? I think the answer would be yes.
Certainly not as bad as other people were making it out to be.

Room Tip: Ask for an "uninterrupted" sea view
6 Thank goodscoff
Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 October 2011

I travelled with my partner and 2 children from 17 Oct to 25 Oct 2011. The room was clean and the bedding was changed twice and the room cleaned daily. The staff were very helpful and spoke excellent english. We had a 7 night all inc holiday which my sons, aged 13 and 16 enjoyed very much. There was a 3 course meal for breakfast, lunch and dinner and snacks were available from 11am to 6pm at the bar. The was a wide variety of food available even for fussy eaters (one of my sons) both for vegetarians and meat eaters. The pools were in the shade most of the day, but this is probably due to the time we visited the hotel it could be better in the summer months.The only thing I would fault was the entertainment, I understand the first hour being dedicated to the children this was fine, but after this, It was not entertaining at all. Having to endure bingo every night was bad but the entertainment laid on by the hotel left a lot to be desired. (not sure if this was a plan to get guests to leave the premises so that less alcohol would be consumed during your all inclusive stay?) Then after the so called entertainment they would get the children up again for more mind numbing children entertainment songs.

Over all the days were great but the nights could do with updating.

Room Tip: Rooms facing the pool/sea veiw are better as the rooms facing the front of the hotel would get a lot...
2 Thank JBrown44
South Lanarkshire
Reviewed 26 October 2011

Just returned from an 8-day All-Inclusive break with the family. We booked a few weeks before the half-term break and as the price was reasonably low for all-inclusive, opted for these apartments.

We arrived late on the Saturday night and were given room 280. It felt strange to actually go down to your room, rather than up to the 2nd floor. Having deduced from the layout, that we would be looking out over the bay, we were somewhat dissappointed to have a row of trees blocking our view from the room. The apartment was very basic, but big enough for our needs. After all, it was only really for sleeping in. A word of caution though! This room was two floors below the pool bar area and you could feel the vibration and noise of the staff re-positioning the table and chairs from about just after 8am.

The pool area was adequate for this time of year, but could imagine it being cramped in the summer months. Didn't venture in the pools, as I had read previous reviews of how cold it was, even in late August / early September. Our children also confirmed this, as they only really dipped their legs in on the odd occasion, which is really unusual for them.

I have to say that contrary to a lot of reviews, I didn't find the range of food on offer to be very good. I know that it is only 3*, but I did expect a bit more choice to be on offer. I am certainly not a fussy eater and can usually find something to eat, but on one evening, I had a plate of soup and a plate of salad for dinner. I have had better in other 3* properties.

The lounge area we found to be very noisy in the evenings. I don't know if it was down to the ceiling being quite low, but at times you had to almost shout at one another to be heard. It would have been nice if they had another lounge, away from the entertainment, where you could relax a little more. My main gripe with the lounge in the evening, was the fact that they still served your drinks in plastic cups. I can understand this at the pool area, but expected a bit better in the lounge in the evening. We had a laugh one night, when after dinner, I asked for two coffees, and was given them in polystyrene cups!! They have a nice big coffee machine just at the edge of the bar, but it never seemed to be used.

Maybe we were just unlucky with it being the time of year and things are different in the summer months. The apartments close this weekend I believe, so maybe that had something to do with the food and facilities in the lounge.

All in all, based on the price we paid, it was adequate for a little piece of winter sun. I don't expect we will return for anything like a fortnight in the summer season, but if the price was right, we may consider for a winter of spring break. There are too many places further afield, which offer better quality in every aspect, which I am sure wouldn't be that much more expensive to these apartments in the summer months.

Room Tip: Ask for room on 4th floor or higher.
4 Thank AyeReady1872
leeds
Reviewed 25 October 2011

We stayed here for two weeks from 9th to 23rd October. We were actually booked into the Waikiki apartments, but were transferred for some reason never explained, but from talking to other people at the resort it seems to be a complete matter of chance where you are put. One couple was supposed to be in the Hawaii Hotel, but were sent to the Waikiki, and were not pleased at all.
We had a one bedroom apartment for the two of us, which we like since it enables us to sleep in different rooms (noisy sleeper). The rooms are basic but clean and comfortable, with minimum self catering equipment.
The reception is on the 5th floor at street level, and the pool, restaurant and bars were on the 4th floor. We were on the 7th floor, without access to a lift and we were not alone in struggling to take our luggage up the outside stone steps, wide enough for only one person. Not too bad going up and down by ourselves, but when we came to leave just before daylight there was no lighting on these stairs. My husband is 70 and I am 66, but we saw much younger people finding the stairs hard work. All that exercise meant we didn't put weight on though.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple