“Great hotel but let down on departure day” 4 of 5 bubbles

Hotel Son Matias Beach
Ranked #1 of 39 Hotels in Palmanova
GreenLeadersGold level
Preston, United Kingdom
“Great hotel but let down on departure day”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 May 2014

1st - 8th May - This was our first trip to this hotel and, as all the other reviews say, it's position is wonderful, as is the food and the excellent choice - oh, and it's nice and hot too which isn't always the case in some hotels. The restaurant was run very efficiently by Javier and staff who were all friendly and helpful and worked extremely hard clearing tables very quickly. Unfortunately, our taxi was late picking us up for our return journey to the airport and when I asked for help from Raoul at reception he was not particularly helpful or friendly and didn't appear to know where they'd got the information from which told us what time our transfer was due. He said we'd have to wait until 8am when his colleague came on duty. He also wasn't very helpful when he arrived and I had to insist that he gave me a printout of the fax they had received with our transfer details. I would stress that the hotel had passed on the correct details but just seemed unconcerned that we had a flight to get and no transport to the airport and the time was ticking by. In the end they ordered us a taxi but it was just a pity to end the holiday with this unhelpfulness when all the rest of the staff were excellent.

Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank NORMA K

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (669)
Leicester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 May 2014

We stayed 29th April to 5th May 2014 and can honestly say the only problems we had actually had nothing to do with the hotel. The accomodation was superb, the other residents were lovely and the staff were fantastic when we did interact with them. I am in my 40's and my husband is in his 50's and chose this hotel specifically because of the reviews on trip advisor and the fact that the larger majority of guest are elderly (would say 60+). We were able to go out of the hotel into the more lively areas of Palmanova and Magaluf but retreat back to the hotel which was lovely and serene. The hotel guest are very respectful of each other which was great (no loud groups clambering back into the hotel at all hours of the morning with no respect for other guest), no rowdy young groups around the pool throughout the day which was a bonus.

In regards to the entertainment you could take it or leave it as it is your choice, there were no reps or staff harassing you to join in activities throughout the day which mean't you truley could just relax around the pool (love the music round the pool throughout the day just wish it was a touch louder so those at the far end of the pool away from the pool bar could hear it (not too much louder though as this would spoil it). I sat in the sun with my feet in the pool quietly singing along to the music it was perfect.

On the down side I booked in April 2013 and e-mailed the hotel to request an upgrade to a suite, the response was that because I booked with Thomson we could not which to be honest did not seem fair (like I said we booked a year in advance), not sure if perhaps the suites are prioritised for the regular guest rather than newbies which if this is the case is a shame but not a reason to slate the hotel.

In line with some other reviews I agree that the regulars seem to be recognised so well by the hotel staff and I suppose this could leave one feeling like a stranger and out of place but the way I see it is that if we continue to book at this hotel we will be treated the same, there is nothing wrong with the hotel staff recognising returning customers and treating them with kindess and respect. I would like to note that I find it absolutely appropriate that returning customers are given discount no matter how little or large, it shows they care about their residents and recognise that their guest value the way they are treated.

I would like to say thank you to Brian one of the chef's for sorting out my eggs on my last day at breakfast on Tuesday the 5th May (you see that is exactly what I am talking about the care and respect given to the guest by the staff regardless of their job title in the hotel).

In regards to comments in other reviews about some of the regulars trying to run the place personally I found those in the know very useful and did not resent them at all (we always approach a situation with a positive attitude rather than a negative one so thanks to all those who did give us some good tips while we were there). I have noticed that it has also been mentioned about the amount of times some of the residents have been there and that it may be a competition, SO WHAT! How many people purchase static caravans in this county and holiday in them more than once a year every year (some people for the rest of their days and you could be talking 30 to 40+ years)? It must be said that these people obviously have a life and if you have a problem with that I suggest you take a leaf out of their book and get a life too.

All that being said I would like to end this review on a positive. Hotel Son Matias Beach keep up the fantastic work and as for any returning guest you go there as many times / years as you want to my friends.

Mr & Mrs Pole guest of room 515.

Room Tip: I had a pool and sea view room which has the sun in the afternoon which I liked, if you are not keen...
2 Thank Nade007
Bromsgrove, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 May 2014

Thank you Richard,Keith,Javier,Sue,Inaki,Restaurant Staff & Jessica who all contributed to a great stay again, nothing was too much trouble. The weather was lovely with only one overcast morning. The yummy food dealt with many dieters and tastes, you could always put a meal together from the hot or cold buffet whatever your choice including healthy options ,gluten free or diabetic. The rooms have recently been decorated with the use of fridge now included which is a nice touch .Buses were running very regular,the Palma bus tended to fill up quickly and was very popular at only €3.This hotel is a gem and we will return next year.

Room Tip: All floors have good views and sunny balconies
3 Thank Touristleigh
Bolton, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 May 2014

We booked this hotel with Thomson Holidays at the very last minute and were slightly concerned by some of the reviews which suggested that the hotel was a clique controlled by frequent guests. Nothing could have been further from the truth. The hotel is in a prime beach position with stunning views of the bay, including sunrise, from all of the rooms. They are of a reasonable size, had been recently redecorated and were kept spotlessly clean with frequent change of bedding and towels.
Staff were very friendly and efficient. Special mention must go to the reception staff who helped us above and beyond their remit during our stay, also the entertainment rep Liz who is a real asset for the hotel , working tirelessly throughout the day to make our stay special.
Many of the other guests had stayed 20 to 30 times before. Everyone got on well with each other and we made many friendships while there. We certainly weren't sidelined in any way or treated and differently from the regular guests.
There is an incentive scheme where frequent clients receive bar discounts etc dependent on number of visits. I can't see anything at all unfair about this.
The restaurant has views of the beach and there is a good variety of food which was well cooked and presented, in pleasant surroundings.
Son Matias Beach is situated just over a headland ( Approx 1/2 mile ) from Magaluf resort. Cannot say whether there would be any problems as when we stayed, Magaluf itself didn't appear to be open at all.
I enjoy walking and found a selection of hiking routes available at the nearby Tourist Info office for 2 euros very helpful. Try Calvia promenade which is a linear garden walk / cycleway between Santa Ponza and Portals Nous. Ideal for cycling away from the busy roads.
Puig Galatzo is highest in the area and known as the Majorcan Matterhorn.

Room Tip: All rooms have a beach view but the quality of the view improves the higher you go
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank BWWeekender
Northumberland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 May 2014

This is, in my opinion, one of the best hotels I've stayed at. I've been here many times. Food great, staff very friendly and helpful and the rooms are comfortable. Only one problem it's so popular you may have difficulty getting a room so book early.

Room Tip: Ask for poolside room you get Sun most of day
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled solo
3 Thank NorthumberlandJolie
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 May 2014

Fantastic holiday again at the son Matais beach hotel , the hotel 5 star staff excellent ,food excellent rooms spotless had another great holiday met up with all our friends again we have already book up for October 14 & April 2015 pauline&mick holmes

Room Tip: Any room will do as they all have sea view or pool view
2 Thank Pauline H
Barnsley, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 May 2014

This hotel for me and my partner was just really good. The room, and view from it was stunning, the sunrises were just there to be photographed. We looked out each morning and commented how lovely it was. The food was so good and varied we looked forward to going into the dining room every time. Also being to take meals outside was a bonus for us, it helped to make the holiday special. We were fortunate to enjoy two weeks of good weather, we were there from the 8th April for two weeks. We walked up the road from the small marina and onto the path which runs alongside the top road and down into Magalluf. This is a pleasant walk and cycle path, about 3 miles maybe and it was quite green then walk back into Magalluf and along the front back to Palma Nova. The nightly entertainment was good generally some acts were very good. It was varied too.

Room Tip: All rooms look over the bay, we were on the second floor the other side of the pool and like that si...
1 Thank Margaret R
Also consider these accommodations in or near Palmanova
Sol Beach House Mallorca
Aparthotel Rosa del Mar
Aparthotel Rosa del Mar
#4 of 39 in Palmanova
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,006 reviews

Been to Hotel Son Matias Beach? Share your experiences!