“Can't go wrong”

Hotel Son Matias Beach
Ranked #1 of 38 Hotels in Palmanova
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 12 May 2014

I ought to say what a terrible hotel this is so that customers would be put off but I can't. It is so popular my husband and I like lots of other clients just keep on returning. We know the location is just great the food is excellent and the staff are just so helpful and it is a good sign that the same staff are there year after year. The evening meal times have changed this year and there is tea and coffee and milk provided in the rooms which on a couple of occasions was a very refreshing
joy.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (1,447)

Reviewed 10 May 2014

Just returned from our 4th visit to this hotel. It has never failed to please. Well run, nice to see same restaurant, bar and reception staff who are very professional in their work. The entertainment staff have been different each year though but this year there is Jessica, (the entertainment manager's assistant) who has a lovely personality. The hotel is modern, very clean and comfortable. Location excellent, you can hear the waves lapping on the beach from the rooms overlooking the promenade. Nice to see the use of the room fridge is now free, with complimentary milk and water waiting in the fridge for you, and ample tea and coffee available. A handful of bedrooms have had their baths removed and replaced with a walk-in shower. I emailed hotel before arrival to request one of these rooms if possible, and that is what we got. Yes, the majority of guests are 50+ (including me!) but we are all well behaved! It is a pleasure to stay at this hotel and shall definitely return again.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Juebec
Reviewed 9 May 2014

We stayed at the hotel from 26th April till 3rd May. We are in our fifties and certainly felt we were one of the younger couples staying.
We did not arrive till midnight as on late flight. On arrival we were told our room would not be available till next day so we were given a lovely junior suite for the night till the room was available .we then were relocated the following day to a very nice room on the 7th floor with great sea and pool views.
We had just settled into the room when there was a knock at the door and a tray arrived containing a lovely bottle of chilled sparkling wine and some lovely sweet treats with a card from the hotel apologising for any inconvenience caused by having to move rooms!
I thought this was a really lovely gesture on the hotels behalf and was much appreciated!
Everyone at the hotel were lovely and the staff really helpful, particularly Keith on reception.
The hotel is spotless and food was good.
We tended to have a walk in the evening so did not see much of the entertainment although most people say they enjoyed it.
I will certainly stay at this hotel again next time I am in a Palmanova although need to book well in advance as books out very quickly as so popular!
I can understand why people return to this hotel year after year!

Room Tip: Higher floors have better views.
Reviewed 9 May 2014

Without spending a lot of time on this review.The room we had was next door but one to the end of the hotel adjacent to the son matias grill and every they opened you could not escape the smoke from the chimney and the smell of burning wood even with the patio doors shut you could not escape it.Will go back again but not anywhere near the son matias grill.Only other gripe was the ants on balcony floor ,they sprayed the floor three times and each time the ants came back within 12 hours.Apart from these two complaints everything was ok.Nothing like perfect but ok.

Room Tip: do not get a low floor room number ending in 15 or 16 .
3  Thank disgruntled18
Reviewed 9 May 2014

1st - 8th May - This was our first trip to this hotel and, as all the other reviews say, it's position is wonderful, as is the food and the excellent choice - oh, and it's nice and hot too which isn't always the case in some hotels. The restaurant was run very efficiently by Javier and staff who were all friendly and helpful and worked extremely hard clearing tables very quickly. Unfortunately, our taxi was late picking us up for our return journey to the airport and when I asked for help from Raoul at reception he was not particularly helpful or friendly and didn't appear to know where they'd got the information from which told us what time our transfer was due. He said we'd have to wait until 8am when his colleague came on duty. He also wasn't very helpful when he arrived and I had to insist that he gave me a printout of the fax they had received with our transfer details. I would stress that the hotel had passed on the correct details but just seemed unconcerned that we had a flight to get and no transport to the airport and the time was ticking by. In the end they ordered us a taxi but it was just a pity to end the holiday with this unhelpfulness when all the rest of the staff were excellent.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank NORMA K
Reviewed 7 May 2014

We stayed 29th April to 5th May 2014 and can honestly say the only problems we had actually had nothing to do with the hotel. The accomodation was superb, the other residents were lovely and the staff were fantastic when we did interact with them. I am in my 40's and my husband is in his 50's and chose this hotel specifically because of the reviews on trip advisor and the fact that the larger majority of guest are elderly (would say 60+). We were able to go out of the hotel into the more lively areas of Palmanova and Magaluf but retreat back to the hotel which was lovely and serene. The hotel guest are very respectful of each other which was great (no loud groups clambering back into the hotel at all hours of the morning with no respect for other guest), no rowdy young groups around the pool throughout the day which was a bonus.

In regards to the entertainment you could take it or leave it as it is your choice, there were no reps or staff harassing you to join in activities throughout the day which mean't you truley could just relax around the pool (love the music round the pool throughout the day just wish it was a touch louder so those at the far end of the pool away from the pool bar could hear it (not too much louder though as this would spoil it). I sat in the sun with my feet in the pool quietly singing along to the music it was perfect.

On the down side I booked in April 2013 and e-mailed the hotel to request an upgrade to a suite, the response was that because I booked with Thomson we could not which to be honest did not seem fair (like I said we booked a year in advance), not sure if perhaps the suites are prioritised for the regular guest rather than newbies which if this is the case is a shame but not a reason to slate the hotel.

In line with some other reviews I agree that the regulars seem to be recognised so well by the hotel staff and I suppose this could leave one feeling like a stranger and out of place but the way I see it is that if we continue to book at this hotel we will be treated the same, there is nothing wrong with the hotel staff recognising returning customers and treating them with kindess and respect. I would like to note that I find it absolutely appropriate that returning customers are given discount no matter how little or large, it shows they care about their residents and recognise that their guest value the way they are treated.

I would like to say thank you to Brian one of the chef's for sorting out my eggs on my last day at breakfast on Tuesday the 5th May (you see that is exactly what I am talking about the care and respect given to the guest by the staff regardless of their job title in the hotel).

In regards to comments in other reviews about some of the regulars trying to run the place personally I found those in the know very useful and did not resent them at all (we always approach a situation with a positive attitude rather than a negative one so thanks to all those who did give us some good tips while we were there). I have noticed that it has also been mentioned about the amount of times some of the residents have been there and that it may be a competition, SO WHAT! How many people purchase static caravans in this county and holiday in them more than once a year every year (some people for the rest of their days and you could be talking 30 to 40+ years)? It must be said that these people obviously have a life and if you have a problem with that I suggest you take a leaf out of their book and get a life too.

All that being said I would like to end this review on a positive. Hotel Son Matias Beach keep up the fantastic work and as for any returning guest you go there as many times / years as you want to my friends.

Mr & Mrs Pole guest of room 515.

Room Tip: I had a pool and sea view room which has the sun in the afternoon which I liked, if you are not keen...
2  Thank Nade007
Reviewed 6 May 2014

Thank you Richard,Keith,Javier,Sue,Inaki,Restaurant Staff & Jessica who all contributed to a great stay again, nothing was too much trouble. The weather was lovely with only one overcast morning. The yummy food dealt with many dieters and tastes, you could always put a meal together from the hot or cold buffet whatever your choice including healthy options ,gluten free or diabetic. The rooms have recently been decorated with the use of fridge now included which is a nice touch .Buses were running very regular,the Palma bus tended to fill up quickly and was very popular at only €3.This hotel is a gem and we will return next year.

Room Tip: All floors have good views and sunny balconies
3  Thank Touristleigh