“only fair” 2 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #21 of 39 Hotels in Palmanova
Durrus, Ireland
“only fair”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 July 2012

our holiday here was only fair and i just want to point there were no groups of young people partying all night. first of all the rooms are in need of refurbishment and are quite dull and some patches of the wall was gone brown and it wasnt very pretty the view was brilliant over the sea. the meals were awful thank god ye didnt do lunch on the last few nights we had to eat out I recommend the restaurant ''natalies'' down the road. we were hoping it would be a spanish dining experience but no just the same old food from any where. the reception is quite dark and one of the receptionist wasnt very nice and he was smoking and that was disgusting. the bar staff were very nice same with the restaurant staff. the pool was very small and i kept finding bits of glass and i kept stepping on this glass and the tables were never cleared the ones buy the pool. the entertainment was awful except the karaoke. we wont be coming back

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank jack c
, Owner at Hotel Agua Beach, responded to this review, 16 July 2012
Dear Guest,

I was quite surprised to read your comments about our Hotel until I checked your age, then I understood perfectly.

First of all, the rooms are not in need of refurbishment. There might have been a problem with the plaster/paint in your room, but that does not mean that all of the rooms are in same situation. You should have reported this to reception and maintenance would have been sent to your room, something that you obviously didn´t do.

As for the food, what can I say? If you say that a selection of 2 meat and two fish dishes, salads and cheeses, daily dishes and soups, vegetarian meals and a huge selection of desserts, plus free white/red/rose/beer and soft drinks is "awful", you need to re-evaluate your standards. On top of this you have a free snack bar serving Hot Dogs, Hamburgers and Sandwiches all day.

The swimming pool is cleaned thoroughly every morning by our pool man. If a glass is broken in the pool (drinks in glass are prohibited in the pool area) and once again no one reports it, it is difficult for us to spot it.

Like I stated in my earlier review, I think you would better off and more at home down the road in Magaluff.

The Management

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (152)
  • Finnish first
Kettering, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 July 2012

We went as a group of lads to this hotel. They tried to fob us off with prison cell sized rooms, cleanliness standards were shocking, our beds werent changed once all week. And as for the food, where to start? Other than awful, cold and cheap meat! We were all inclusive but ended up spending extra so we could eat out! As for drinks, you could only get one at a time so if you are in a group or with your family you will all have to go up to the bar to get a drink, ridiculous! Think twice before booking this hotel.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with friends
2 Thank Jay S
, Owner at Hotel Agua Beach, responded to this review, 10 July 2012
Dear guest,

I am sure that all of the previous guests who wrote on TripAdvisor will be more than happy if you do not return to this Hotel. Im sure your friends and yourself would feel more than welcome down the road in Magaluf.

Firstly, our rooms are large in size, much larger than the legal required for a three star Hotel. You just have to look at the photographs provided.

Second of all, if your beds were not changed during your stay this was either due to you not allowing the cleaning staff into your rooms in the mornings, or their simple incapability to enter the room, due to all of the filth and mess.

The food has a more than an adequate variety of dishes and has been praised by all of the recent guests, as shown below in other reviews. I am still yet to experience a decent, cheap, meal in the UK.

The drink limit per guests has been reduced to one drink at a time for young groups like yourself who abuse the All Inclusive model by constant binge drinking.

Clients like yourself that come here to get "utterly drunk" from the moment they set foot on the island are NOT welcome to my Hotel.

It is the likes of yourself that disrupt, intimidate and make everyone else´s Holiday a Nightmare. You just have to read the last couple of reviews.

The Owner
Northampton, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 July 2012

I stayed here in Aug 2011 with my boyfriend and his parents - so two twenty-somethings and two mid fifty-somethings looking for a relaxed and cheap and cheerful holiday. We picked this hotel after much searching in the area for something that won points on location and cost, as we were on a budget after an expensive holiday earlier in the year.
We stayed in the annexe part of the hotel over the supermarket (which has fresh bread/filled rolls and plastic cups and plates) and were more than happy - the room was clean with a nice balcony overlooking the street and beach. The self catering facilities were rather limited in terms of cups/plates/spoons, but to be honest, all I needed it for was a quick brekkie and a cuppa and a fridge to keep our drinks cool.
The apartment doors were sturdy,which is a relief after previously been broken into on a holiday in turkey a few years ago with flimsy apartment doors, so we always felt secure. The maids were always friendly and their visits were timed nicely for late morning as we were leaving for the beach. they seemed to do what they were paid for just fine.
We went self catering (don't like to be tied to meal times on holiday) and never ate at the hotel, but the evening meals smelt really nice whilst waiting for the in laws, but part of our holiday has always been about eating at local restaurants.
The pool was small but never very busy late afternoon and was nice to have a quick dip after a hot day on the beach. It was always clean, as was the reception area. We had drinks in the bar on our last night waiting for our airport bound coach and all seemed pleaseant, but we didnt frequent the bar very often just through local choice nearby. The reception staff were always happy to help and spoke good enough english there were no language barriers.
As for location, you are on the other side of the road to the nicest of the three palma nova beaches (the one just to the left of the hotel entrance, not the ones towards magaluf). That beach was always clean but busy, but having tried the other two, we always defaulted to the one beach. The kareoke bar over the road was OK, but there was a little sports bar a short walk towards magaluf doing bogof deals that we would stop at on the way into the main resort hub, but the best restuarants bar a steak house were near us just to the left of the entrance - a lovely french restaurarnt and one next door to it (just a couple of minutes away in a row of shops/eateries) were yummy - I have reviewed one of them.
Tip - if you are staying in the annexe or have easy acess to the sun terrace by the glass lift, get up for sun rise and stand on the sun terrace between the main hotel and the annexe and you can watch amazing sun rises over the bay. I got up twice around 7am to watch sun rise with no one else around and it was glorious and for that reason a nicely located hotel on the sea front.

If you are looking for a big fancy AI hotel with all the works, kids clubs, multiple pools etc, then book one, if you want an average hotel that doesn't break the bank but has a nice location and nice facilties for the price, then by all means come here. We never had any problems with road noise or '18-30' types and all really enjoyed the hotel.

I tend not to go back to resorts twice, but I would suggest this hotel on a B&B basis (cant comment on AI/half board since we didnt use it) to others coming to Palma Nova. It is a bit of a walk into the main part of palma nova/magaluf, but its much less cheesy and neon around the hotel.

Room Tip: get an annexe room over looking the road so you have sea views and nice sized room.
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
6 Thank Helenback56
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 July 2012

this was our 3 time at aqua beech ,no probs on previous holidays but this year the hotel has gone allinclusive and now take bookings from large groups of lads and girls ,lots of drunken lads around the small pool ares causing all sorts of probs ,then they come back to hotel in the early hours after being to nightclubs in magaloof still partying.i agree with previous review itwas like being on an 18/30 holiday.never had any dealings with first choice rep she was only intrested in selling night club tickets to the lads.if your over 25 be aware.

Room Tip: pay the extra £50 and get a sea view room on the 5th floor away from bar area
2 Thank Fred S
, Owner at Hotel Agua Beach, responded to this review, 6 July 2012
Dear Sir,

Once again I feel obliged to apologize for the ill behavior of some guests. As I stated in my response to the previous review, there is little we can do.

All young guests are grouped in rooms on the lower floors, they are informed about Hotels rules upon their arrival and are made to sign a document that allows the Hotel to evict any noisy or unwanted guests.

We are addressing the problem for next season so hope to have you with us once again.

Manchester
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 July 2012

Having spent quite a few holidays at this hotel I was sceptical when we were told last year that, thanks to First Choice, it was going to be all inclusive only and I thought there might be a drop in standards, particularily the food. How wrong I was. The food choice and quality was excellent and was far better than I was expecting. The hotel has managed to keep most of the regular staff who were always helpful, cheerful and extremely freindly. On our arrival we even got a welcoming hug from Ana and Angela who remembered us from previous visits.
However, the All Inclusive tag does come at a price. In previous years, this hotel was frequented by couples, the occasional famliy and repeat visitors. Unfortunately, the hotel is now being over-run by groups of single sex parties who use it for a place, where in their words, they get tanked up before hitting Magaluf. Not all of these groups would qualify for a 18-30 holiday as one large party (about 15 to 20) from London were aged between 35 to 50, they spend all day in or around the pool, drinking in the pool so their drinks were going in the pool. In my time their I never saw any of them use the toilets, so I can only guess where they relieved themselves. The language was absolutely discusting. It was so bad, we heard a group of young girls complaining that they were unable to use the pool area as they were so intimidated. Even though I had nothing to do with this party, I spent days apologising to staff and other visitors for their behavior stating that not all british behaved like that.
There were other things occuring that also helped ruin the stay, such as a door frame being practically pulled of the wall, people playing football in the corridors, noisy people on balconies at 5 in the morning. After the experiences of this holiday I will not be returning to this hotel again, and I am sure that they will be losing their repeat custom of regular visitors.
The management need to take a firm stand on the number of single sex groups they allow and the number of short stays. We were told by the manager that First Choice and Jumbo Tours were to blame as they were booking in these groups on short stay even though the hotel policy was a minimum of 7 days.

5 Thank SteveHManchester
, Owner at Hotel Agua Beach, responded to this review, 6 July 2012
Dear Sir,

What can I say?

I more than anybody would like to ban all of these "Larger louts" from my Hotel, and from the island for that matter. Unfortunately, we are not in a position to do so.

I have passed on your comments to TUI and I am making an effort to prevent this situation from happening next season.

All - Inclusive does not have to be synonymous of "cheap". We are continuously striving to maintain and improve our overall standards in order to keep those valuable guests, like your selfs, that return year after year.

I really hope that you do change your minds about visiting us again, and I can assure you that your following holiday will be a quieter one.

Manchester, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 July 2012

Fourth time at this hotel - lovely staff, clean rooms, good food. HOWEVER, now it has become all-inclusive, the 10 days we have just spent there (23rd June - 3rd July) was like being at a 18-30 holiday. First Choice had booked loads of short stay holidays for teenagers in single sex groups - and in one case a gang of men from London - who took over the hotel. The pool was a no-go area for half our time due to one particular group who spent the time drinking non-stop and being very loud and intimidating. On our last night we were woken by teenagers in the next room having a party on their balcony at 5.30 am after just getting in. This resort is not in Magaluf, but is rapidly going the same way if this type of clientele are encouraged. Such a disappointment, we will not be returning. Complained to the Manager, who blamed First Choice - the tone is set when the First Choice Rep spent the day answering queries in her bikini!!

Room Tip: Request a seaview room third floor or above.
3 Thank Kathy H
, Owner at Hotel Agua Beach, responded to this review, 5 July 2012
Dear Guests,

I was very disappointed to read about your unfortunate encounter with TUIs younger clientele at my Hotel. July and August usually brings an increase in younger guests, as one would imagine, and is something that I myself loath.

I have personally written to TUI (First Choice) about the matter and we shall hopefully see an improvement for next season.

We do not know the exact age of our clients until they arrive, and once they have been identified as "younger" we make sure to allocate them to low floors and rooms that are next to each other as to not molest other guests. Our Manager has strict instructions from me to warn any individuals that are causing noise or trouble, and to be evicted after the second incident.

I truly hope you will reconsider visiting our Hotel once more and I hope to have the pleasure of making your acquaintance one day.

Chorley, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 June 2012

We spent a week All Inclusive at the begining of June at the Aqua Beach Hotel Palma Nova and it was one of the best holidays we have had.To say it only has a 3 star rating we thought it was great value for money.The room was very clean with stunning views from the balcony, the food was good, nicely presented and a varied choice. All the staff are really friendly and helpful espiecially in the dining room, a pleasant and relaxing atmostphere thoughout our holiday, we would certainly tell others about it and hopefully come back again for a longer stay next time!!!

Room Tip: Over looking pool third floor or higher best views
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
6 Thank Margaret H
, Owner at Hotel Agua Beach, responded to this review, 25 June 2012
Dear Sirs,

We Thank you greatly for your kind words and we shall pass on the positive comments to our staff. We hope to have you again shortly and we shall strive to maintain our standards.

The Manager