“Very disappointed”

Pontypool, United Kingdom
“Very disappointed”
Reviewed 11 May 2014 via mobile

This is not a 4 star hotel stayed on an all inclusive basis early May 2014
Poor food very limited selection which was often cold
Drinks were poor and seemed watered down
Location was excellent and the evening entertainment was good
Overall very disappointed

Stayed May 2014
3 Thank Peter S

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (811)
  • Polish first
Port Seton.East Lothian
Reviewed 10 May 2014

Good hotel, rooms cleaned daily, food was quite good but a bit repetitive, entertainment was only on 3 times a week when I went end of April. Matt does a great job with the limited resources he has. I don't think this hotel has much to offer children to do. Seems an ideal location for the older generation as hotel is on the flat and right next to the shops and beach. 4/5

i

• Stayed April 2014, travelled solo
2 Thank celticstew
lancashire
Reviewed 10 May 2014

My wife and I stayed in this hotel from 21st April until 2nd May this year, we have been to Palma Nova many times over the years but never before at this hotel. All I can say is this is definately the best hotel in the resort and about the best Spanish hotel we have ever stayed in ... and there have been many! Location, perfect, food excellent, rooms comfortable, staff courteous..... definately return!

Room Tip: Pool side rooms 4th floor and above are quieter, there is a bit of noise from the laundry (I think t...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank chadd2
Doncaster, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 May 2014

My partner and I stayed in this hotel which was perfectly situated near the beach and was near all the restaurants you could think off. The rooms were really clean and had a fantastic view of the beach. The only down side to the hotel was the food we luckily went half board. They tried to do English food but it was a bit of anything as a buffet you would have salad and pork with gravy not a good combination. The food was hot and edible. They really can't mess up breakfast as it's a full breakfast or cereal/ toast. I would go again but maybe just to stay not to eat. I sound like I'm moaning but I did enjoy my stay.

• Stayed April 2014
1 Thank Wiz1984
Devon
Reviewed 8 May 2014

We travelled as a group of 7 family members and booked the hotel on the recommendation of Thomson Exeter as we had a 92 year old with mobility issues.

The placement of the hotel is excellent with direct access to the beach, bars and shops and all on the flat. The pool also has a lift for wheelchair users into the pool. The hotel is exceptionally well placed.

We ordered 3 rooms one triple and two doubles. However were very disappointed with the triple which consisted of two singles and a fold out bed which left no room to move in the room for our elderly adult who uses a walking aid. She was unable to reach any part of the room beyond the beds, could not use dressers as the fold out bed was in front of them and was unable to get to the veranda. We raised this as a risk with our Thomson rep on site following the welcome meeting but no action was taken and the Thomson rep Hannah was completely disinterested suggesting we should make a better job of reading the A to Z! My aunt later in the week fell over trying to assist my grandmother and fell resulting in a three day stay in palma hospital. My grandmother returned with severe bruising to her hand due to hitting it repeatedly as she tried to get around. This is now subject of complaint with Thomson.
We would suggest that with more than two persons ( and specifically where mobility and access are an issue ) that you book two rooms with adjoining door which are available due to the lack of space when a third bed is placed in the room.

At the time of our visit those visiting where almost entirely made up of uk visitors of the 60 plus age range and the food whilst excellent is very English. It is of great quality and range but very much catering for English menus and taste. Sadly no tapas or similar spanish dishes except for one evening but some great fish and seafood dishes. The evening entertainment is very English focused and aimed at the older age group with bingo, quizzes and cabaret. Matthew the entertainment lead is great but sadly the cabaret was a bit cringeworthy!

The hotel is very outdated in its decor, walls cracked, very 80s wood chip wallpaper, shabby carpets unclean around the edges, out dated furniture, needs retiling in bathrooms or in the very least a very good bleach.The walls between rooms are quite thin and a lot of noise carries from one room to another. There is only wifi in the reception area however there is tv in the rooms if you want to watch tv. Pool towels were old and could be hired from the shop at a cost if 5euros a week pled deposit.

The hotel is currently regarded a 4 star however would disagree with this rating given some if it's aspects, It must be said however that what it lacks is far outweighed by the location of the hotel. If updated this hotel would not likely be affordable on our budget in the setting.

In addition the staff ( in particular the catering and hosting team) are fantastic.

A great place for older people and those with mobility issues but no more than two to a room. If going with children an adjoining room is suggested.

I probably wouldn't return to this hotel due to it being aimed at older people and being a bit too English unless in the party of 7 as mobility and accessibility were so important to the group but great where a flat and accessible holiday is required. The beach was very quiet with the exception of 1 may being labour day when everything is closed and the beach is busy.

• Stayed April 2014
5 Thank DevonYendells
Kingston-upon-Hull, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 May 2014

Our 4th visit to this hotel. The staff have become friends, its like coming home. a really super place catered for all our needs and then some, making yet again a perfect holiday. Thank you so much.
Best wishes

Shane, Marina @ Sasha

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank shane p
UK
Reviewed 6 May 2014

Stayed here recently (as a couple) for one weeks all inclusive. On arrival we were checked in promptly by a friendly receptionist. I was glad to see our room was ready even though we arrived pretty early (around 11.30am) and I was glad to see that all requests made during the booking process regarding room & view had been listened to and given.

The room was fairly typical of most we have stayed in whilst in Spain, it was spacious and clean. There was a 32" Flat Screen TV in our room which had quite a few English Channels. The TV even had an inbuilt DVD player however this might not be the case in all rooms. The hotel is in such a good location and been built in such a way that all rooms have a sea view so you cannot really go wrong. Rooms were serviced everyday and maids were friendly when we passed them in the corridors.

Dining Hall was great, always a good array of hot foods and a fine choice of salads as well. Having stayed all inclusive many times across various Spanish resorts, I would describe the food available here as being at the top end of what you would normally receive. I would definitely recommend all inclusive. When dining, the all inclusive guests were all sat in the same area so as they could help themselves to the water, beer, wine and soft drinks that were literally on tap. I am assuming half board guests were in another area of the restaurant waiting to be served their drinks.

All staff in the dining area were friendly with lots of smiles and hellos. The Maitre ds were all very freindly making sure they said hello to everyone even if 2 or 3 families arrived at once. I must give special mention to the Maitre d who worked at lunchtime every day (ie 1pm ish) who was particularly friendly and pleasant. (As was the assistant Manager who worked alongside him at this time).

Another important part of the all inclusive experience is the drinks. I was reasonably happy with the drinks on offer, It was the usual blend of local beer (Mahou) and local spirits etc. We found that when we did pay for international brands the fact we were all inclusive meant that these were heavily discounted. The all inclusive cocktails weren't great, they were out of a machine (ie set glass under and press button job), the Sangria on all inclusive was also pretty poor. You did get water at the bars as part of the all inclusive but you got it poured into a glass, as opposed to them giving you a small bottle like most all inclusives I've stayed at.

Bar men at all inclusive hotels can be a bit hit and miss, however I found the Bar men at the Santa Lucia probably as good as I've experienced. Still nothing spectacular in terms of friendliness or service but I appreciate they do have a fairly repetitive job and aren't going to be full of the joys of spring when serving every drink.

Evening entertainment was just ok. Even with free drink on offer with the all inclusive we still chose to go out most nights. However its early in the season, perhaps it gets better at height of summer.

Pool area was spacious with lots of beds, not so many directly round the pool but there were two sun decks with lots of free beds just up one flight of stairs from the pool. Pool side could get a bit noisy, (this is not an adults only hotel), however this was the beauty of the sun decks in that most of the people with no kids were able to go up there away from it all.

Wifi is free in the reception, I think I seen it advertised at 25 euro a week if you wanted it in your room.

I was pretty shocked at the price of the safety deposit box. I had to hand over 40 euro on arrival for the safety box, of which only 10 euro was returned at the end. So in essence, 30 euro for 1 weeks hire of the box. Not sure if that doubles up if you were there for 2 weeks, either way, if your like me and always go for the safety box then have a reasonable amount of cash on you when you arrive!

All said and done I thought this place was great, and I largely thought this because of the friendliness of the staff and the location. We will definitely return, hopefully sooner rather than later!

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple