“Great location but a bit budget”

Hotel Cala Fornells
Ranked #12 of 52 Hotels in Peguera
Auckland Region, New Zealand
“Great location but a bit budget”
Reviewed 22 July 2014

I have been traveling around Europe for the past six weeks and have stayed at a range of different hotels, 3 star, 4 star and 5 star. I was really looking forward to this part of the holiday, 4 nights in peguera to relax by the beach, however, I hate to say that I was a little bit disappointed.

The rooms were lovely, we had a superior with a balcony and a beautiful view. Also the breakfast is great, one of the best I have had over my 6 weeks of traveling.

When we arrived, check in was easy but considering we have come all the way from NZ and have been traveling for 6 weeks, we had a lot of bags. There was NO porter which I thought was shocking as the hotel is huge, and the staff did not offer to help us with our bags. We were clearly struggling and I found this unforgivable and rude.

The wifi was terrible. Free, but terrible barely worked and defiantly didn't work in our room.

There were a few things that I expected more of a four star hotel that isn't that cheap. Firstly, the air con was dodgy. If you opened the door for a miller second then the air con would turn of for 5 minutes. I understand that you shouldn't have the door open with the air con on, but this was a tad ridiculous and made it hard for us to dry our clothes and go out onto the balcony.

Secondly, the lights in the hallways would automatically turn off after a certain period of time. This made the doorways during the middle of the day and at night almost pitch black. This not only is a hassle, but it also is dangerous and should not be allowed. I see this as a sign of the hotel being budget and it is not necessary for the price you pay.

They don't do turn down, and the cleaners barely clean. We didn't have new toilette paper for 3 days and had to steal it from the breakfast bathroom.

Lastly, the towel situation. I think that when you stay at a hotel, you should really be able to do whatever you want and not be intimidated by rules and regulations (within means of course). At this hotel, you are allowed ONE towel, and ONE towel only (which you pay 10 euro bond for each, ridiculous!!!! they are cheap and nasty!) Anyway, this makes sitting on the uncomfortable loungers, that are not adjustable, almost unbearable. With two towels, you could make a little pillow... but no, only ONE towel.

Basically, I was terribly underwhelmed with my stay. There are defiantly better places to stay on the Island of Mallorca with better service for your money.

LAST POINT: don't ever go to the restaurant next door to the hotel called 'Es Viver'. It is the sort of restaurant that you would see on kitchen nightmares with Gordan Ramsey. I would hate to even imagine the cleanliness of the kitchen, it makes me shudder. My boyfriends chicken came out FROZEN and my Sole, at 21 euro smelt like it was on its way to rotting. On top of that, I sat down and asked the waiter a few questions about the menu as it was in german. He goes on to say to me "are you actually going to order something or are you just going to keep asking me questions" I was appalled and about to leave but there are no other options for food around the hotel and I was starving. Don't do it to yourself, it pretty much ruined my trip here.

Room Tip: I believe all the rooms are quite nice and all have a view and balcony.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
6 Thank franky m

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
Reviewed 14 July 2014

We spent here our honeymoon in July. Everything was very good: service, room with sea view, location. The beach was very clean and comfortable. But there was one very terrible thing near the hotel - the restaurant Es Viver - the worst place we had ever visited! The food was not tasty and service was terrible! We had a bill for 15 euro and no cash, that's why we tried to pay by card. The server said, that it's impossible - bill is less than 20 euro. He became very angry and nervous. Said that we should leave him our iPhone and go to the bank. We asked to call his boss, but he said it was his father and he doesnt speak with guests... So this dinner was totally spoiled!

• Stayed July 2014
2 Thank Alexandra S
Oetrange, Luxembourg
Reviewed 1 July 2014

We returned in June to the same hotel we stayed at last year, but for ten nights instead of seven.

We were delighted to find most of the same staff working there. This is a well-run family owned hotel. Not pretentious, not glitzy, just good value, genuine hospitality and great customer care.

The location is top, with a great little beach that is quite popular also with native Mallorcans who want to get away from the larger tourist areas.

Only downside this time is that the bed in our room was a little too firm. After almost a week I began to get a back pain, what I almost never have. When I got home again it went away, and I guess it was because of the bed.

We will certainly return more times.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Portsmouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 July 2014

My wife and I recently stayed here for 7 nights with our 3 year old son and my parents-in-law.

Our room was a triple with a sea view which was a little cramped with three beds but perfectly adequate for our needs. My parents-in-law had a deluxe double which was much nicer with lots of room and a huge balcony. The hotel isn’t the most modern but features a nice area at the front to sit and have drinks or lunch whilst taking in the nice view of the bay opposite. The bay is literally the other side of the road across from the hotel and you can reserve loungers on the beach by writing your name in a book at reception. The hotel also has a gym (small and limited), indoor pool which was closed when we went (June) and a roof top pool which turned out to be an unexpected bonus with a good number of loungers, small paddling pool / decent sized larger pool and bar. The other bonus was private on-site parking with your own space and key fob to open the gate. The hotel staff were very friendly and helpful and service was pretty good.

Breakfast in the hotel is not great to be honest with a small choice and average quality. Lunch is much better with fast service and a decent range of snack options. We didn’t have dinner at the hotel so cannot comment on that.

The area itself has little to do with few places to eat but we had a car so regularly drove into Peguera (5-10 mins) which is nice with a large number of restaurants (of varying quality). We ate in Feliciano's which came recommended and is excellent. The beach here is quite nice and generally child friendly with fine sand and shallow water.

Overall we had a great time here and I would certainly recommend the hotel and idilic local area. I would suggest it’s aimed more at couples than families, but with a car we were able to go to the water parks, aquariums and other beaches which definitely helped keep our son happy.

Room Tip: Deluxe rooms on first floor have huge balconies and lots of room. Triples on third floor are cramped...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank JonahUK_12
East Yorkshire
Reviewed 9 May 2014 via mobile

Stayed at the Cala Fornells for 4 nights early April. We'll run hotel, clean with a good restaurant. The bedroom was cleaned and restocked every day. The hotel is is situated in a quiet small bay with a small beach area opposite and with good walks to the woods behind the hotel in the direction of Camp de Mar. We had a car so the free parking by key fob to the garage was an added bonus. Would definitely return.

Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank South_Cave
Leamington Spa, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 April 2014

My wife and I stayed at this hotel around 10 years ago and this was our first chance to revisit while staying nearby in Camp de Mar. Little has changed - an idyllic location overlooking the bay towards Peguera with a lovely small beach in front of the hotel along with sunbathing decks along the waterside. Being a dead end the traffic can become congested as there is also parking nearby for a popular series of rambles through the pine forest and across the headland to adjacent coves and all the way to Camp de Mar - fine for the fit and able but a challenge otherwise. The hotel is one of three here and enjoys the best patio overlooking the bay - in fact we spent a good few hours this time just relaxing, enjoying first coffee and then a light lunch and beer - not a massive menu choice but perfectly acceptable for lunch and the location is superb. The walk into Peguera is around 20-30 minutes depending on fitness and speed and this has all the amenities of a mature resort, including supermarkets, beach, restaurants and shops. there is also a bus service to Palma and, in the opposite direction, Port De Andratz. Taxis are also plentiful for those who prefer. Happy to find that some things don't change with the passing years we may well add this to our list for future visits, but not in high season.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Cardiff
Reviewed 5 October 2013

We have just returned from 8 nights at the hotel, we had a fabulous time. The hotel itself is quaint and the rooms are lovely. Great views looking out to the ocean. The room as was the hotel was spotless. Ok so it may be a little bit dated but this adds to the charm of the place. The staff at reception and the bar were excellent. The breakfast was basic but all you could need but what a view from the breakfast room, stunning. We found all the staff friendly and attentive. We hired a car for the whole 8 days and were given a dedicated parking space free of charge. The roof terrace is wonderful, catching the last of the sun with an ice cold glass of cava. The boys here are wonderful and nothing seemed too much trouble. We would return and are hoping to next year. We didn't eat in the hotel restaurant in the evening but chose 2 restaurants, Casa Luis and (the one opposite with fantastic sea views) both great. We usually pick the end of September as the temperatures are comfortable, I have to say the temperatures were much higher than average! We had room service 3 times, pizza, salad and wine which was lovely as the view from the balcony was beautiful. There is a little bit of noise from coaches dropping off but this didn't bother us at all and certainly didn't have any impact on our stay.

Room Tip: Sea View is a must
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank chamberlainspragg
Also consider these accommodations in or near Peguera
Hesperia Mallorca Villamil
#3 of 6 in Camp De Mar
Hotel Bahia
Hotel Bahia
#10 of 52 in Peguera

Been to Hotel Cala Fornells? Share your experiences!