“Pleasantly surprised”
Review of BelleVue Belsana

BelleVue Belsana
Ranked #5 of 7 Hotels in Portocolom
Reviewed 23 August 2014 via mobile

Very good value for money food was brilliant lots of choice... the pool area was clean with a lovely view. The rooms were quite small but very clean and had everything u needed. There were some nice restaurants and bars nearby. I wiuld definitely come here again for a summy getaway.

Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 22 August 2014

We have returned from spending a week in the Bellevue Belsana and I have to say we were extremely disappointed with our experience in the hotel. Before we went on holiday we read mixed reviews about the Belsana but nevertheless we are not the type who normally complain and try to see the best in every situation and thought the negative reviews were from 'professional complainers'! Sadly in this occasion they were correct. When we arrived at the hotel we were promptly checked in and given the key to our room. There were 3 of us in the room, my wife, my son and myself. The room was incredibly small - you could not swing a cat in it - but importantly for us it was clean (although the bath had dirty stains in it which was very off putting) - however the cleanliness of the room would change! For 2 days during our stay the staff did not make up the room nor provide clean towels. We had been out at the pool all day and when we returned to the room at 4pm it wasn't cleaned and beds were not changed/madeup etc and we didn't have clean towels. I phoned reception who said he would phone me back in 10 minutes. I gave them an hour and heard nothing so I contacted reception again who told me the cleaners left at 3pm and didn't clean the room and he said he didn't have clean towels as the delivery hadn't came in yet. This was unacceptable - both the non-reply to our issue and the unsatisfactory way it was dealt with. The next day I complained at reception and the girl told me she would make sure the room was cleaned. Again we came back from the pool around 4.30pm and the room once again hadn't been cleaned. At this point we were totally disgusted and I went to reception again. This time a third member of reception staff told me the room wasn't cleaned because we hadn't made our beds and that the cushions from the kids sofabed were sitting on top of the twin/double bed so the staff wouldn't have time to make up the room in their allocated time. This response was pathetic. I had taken a photograph of the room and showed it to the reception staff - we did not keep a dirty room - we did have a 3 year old child who had toys etc but when she saw the photo of the room she agreed it was not a mess (caused by us) but the room was suffering from not being cleaned for 2 days by their staff! The girl at reception apologised and the room was cleaned the next day. I also showed a photo of the dirty stains that were in the bath since before we arrived and the girl at reception said they must be rust stains and was unconcerned. In all our trips to hotels and holidays this is the first time we have never had the basic service of having our room cleaned and provided with fresh, clean towels. The level of service, or should I say the lack of service, gave us the impression this is more a hostel than a 3* hotel!

The food wasn't great either. We, along with many other guests who we got talking to ended up finding restaurants to eat in even though this was an All inclusive hotel. We found the bar staff to be unfriendly! Entertainment wise the Belsana offers nothing at all - not even a TV showing the football in the bar area. The TVs that were in the hotel rooms were like something from the 1950s!!

Porto Colom is very quiet and doesn't offer anything to do for kids (apart from dodgems). We found we had to get a taxi each evening to Cala D'or to keep ourselves occupied (and fed!!).
Regarding transfers from the airport we pre-booked taxis as we read that the coach transfers can take up to 3.5 hours. We highly recommend booking the taxis (cost 70 euros each way). Transfer time to and from airport was approx. 45 minutes.

All in all I have to say we found the Belsana to be hugely disappointing despite defending it to other guests who were complaining when we initially arrived. To some up our experience we feel the Belsana offers a service more in line with a hostel than a 3* hotel. We will never return to it! You can put up with a lot on holidays but our bottom line is cleanliness and hygiene and the Belsana certainly let us down in this regard - the basic service of cleaning the room and providing fresh, clean towels - wasn't there for us despite approaching reception 3 times regarding the issue over a 2 day period!

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank Andrew D
Reviewed 17 August 2014

Lovely location. Clean rooms, fresh towels every day. Food ok not really to my taste but a reasonable standard.
Staff pleasant.Francina deserves a special mention she was lovely. Oscar the barman was rude and obnoxious, what a horrible little man! All in all I thought it was good value and we had a pleasant stay there with friends.

• Stayed: August 2014
3  Thank Sbarwick
Reviewed 16 August 2014

Visited Bellevue Belsana Hotel in Porto Colom in July 2014 for a 1 week stay. We booked through Dawson & Sanderson and paid £440pp for 3* AI, which was good price for high season!

Hotel is clean and tidy, and approx 5-10 minute walk from shops, beach and harbour. Our room was a twin room on 5th floor (there is a lift) which had views of the harbour and a small balcony with table and chairs. Air con was free. Room had TV and sofa. Comfortable overall. Clean towels every day.

We arrived at 22:30hours and were quickly checked-in and offered supper if we wished. We went straight to the bar and had our first AI drink; local spirits and beer, soft drinks, tea & coffee available. Cocktails available and bar tender friendly.
Food: Breakfast was a choice of full-English, continental pastries and cereals, toast and fresh fruit also available. Tea, coffee & fruit juices.
Lunch: Salad bar, soup, meat, pasta, vegetables, fresh fruit, ice-cream, cakes. Wine, soft drinks and water.
Afternoon snacks (available at pool bar): pizza, burgers, hot-dogs, chips, etc.
Tea/dinner: very similar to lunch.
Food was average taste, average choice and was warm. Best food in our opinion was the pool-side snacks.

Porto Colom is a quiet area, and we had a very relaxing holiday. I would recommend this hotel to friends and I would stay again at the right price. Staff were friendly and helpful, especially Philip on the main desk. We paid for Wi-Fi (20euro for 1 week) great when it worked, but very hit & miss throughout our stay.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
3  Thank Muffinman890
Reviewed 16 August 2014

We are a group of 4 adults and we stopped at the Belsana for a week at the beginning of August. We thoroughly enjoyed our stay. Ignore all the negative comments on this site, the hotel is by far one of the best 3* hotels I have stayed in. The food was plentiful and of a good standard, something for everyone. Bedrooms cleaned daily and towels replaced. The staff can't do enough for you, always happy to help and always have a smile...even Oscar the branded 'miserable' barman seemed pretty chirpy. The location is superb, and the views are amazing. The pool bar by far is the best for cocktails i would recommend the pina colada. Outside of the hotel to the right you can walk down to the picturesque harbour and take a ride on the glass bottom boat (20 euros for a 2hour trip). To the left of the hotel about 10 minuite walk there is a beautiful beach, very safe for swimming and plenty of small bars/restaurants if you fancy a change of scenery. Overall I would recommend this hotel to couples and families with older children, not much going on to keep little ones entertained. I would definately return to this hotel.

Room Tip: Ask for a seaview room
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled with friends
3  Thank Emma L
Reviewed 15 August 2014

We have just returned from a week at this wonderful hotel. Everything said about the fantastic views is absolutely spot on. I just wanted to clarify who should book a holiday here. Do NOT go if - you want children's clubs to entertain your kids all day, if you want to be in the middle of a busy tourist area with loads of bars, if you want evening karaoke and entertainment and if you want cordon bleu style meals with fifty seven varieties and choices at every meal time. Don't get me wrong - there is nothing wrong with wanting any of this but for goodness sake, do your homework and find somewhere that suits you. If you want more for your money then I'm sorry, you don't get anything for nothing in this world, you have to pay for it. As far as we were concerned, for the price we paid we couldn't fault it. We arrived at midnight to be met by Ann who got us a drink and sandwich we didn't expect at that time of night. We found all the Reception staff to be extremely helpful all week. We thought the food was fresh, tasty and plentiful - there was plenty of choice for healthy food lovers (not if you just want pizza, burger and chips all the time). The room was spacious, extremely clean - we got clean towels everyday even though we didn't indicate that we needed them. The hotel is in a perfect position - 15 minutes walk in one direction to the most gorgeous beach and ten minutes in the opposite to a harbour and town square which has a Spanish singer performing some nights of the week. We went to Cala d'Or a couple of times for a visit and much preferred where we were stopping, although that's also a great place for an evening out - cost 16 Euros each way by taxi, only 2.30 on the bus but the last one is about 6pm. The airport transfer is a long journey - about 3-4 hours, but again, if you want a quick journey, pay for a private taxi. Our only criticism - and this makes us sound like we're big drinkers! - is that the all inclusive finishes at 11pm which is just that bit too early. We prefer it when it's midnight and I know you can get more than one drink in at 11pm but I like a coffee to finish my night off! It's also true that there are very few parasols around the pool, but a tip - they have several kept behind the desk in reception so just go and ask for one to borrow for the day. Both of those niggles wouldn't stop me highly recommending this hotel and giving it a 5 star rating, IF it's the kind of holiday you're looking for - do your research!

Room Tip: High floors have lovely views, either of the sea or the mountains
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
4  Thank BooshkaStoke
Reviewed 5 August 2014

Hotel is situated in a lovely spot. The staff are good, clean rooms restricted air con in room- only works in setting 1. 2 and 3 switch it off. Poor air con in restaurant and no air con in reception. No entertainment in evening. Staff said hotel prev half board with entertainment but on going all inclusive had stopped entertainment. The restaurant variety was nil same things every day. On Moaning told lady chef had fallen and broken leg and told two ladies (?) were making the meals. I spent 7 days there and was eating out after 4 not really all inclusive. Breakfast and lunch ok. This is an average hotel and would I return ( N O ) Wish I`d went to Cala D`ior

Room Tip: Best rooms look out on pool we were friendly with 5 british couples all including us ended up facing...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank JimCalder
Also consider these accommodations in or near Portocolom
OLA Hotel El Vistamar
BelleVue Vistanova
BelleVue Vistanova
#37 of 38 in Palmanova
azuLine Hotel Bahamas & Bahamas II

Been to BelleVue Belsana? Share your experiences!