“Great first kids trip abroad”

Insotel Cala Mandia Resort & Spa
Ranked #3 of 10 Hotels in Porto Cristo
Reviewed 20 December 2013

We have 2 kids aged 5 and we have taken holidays in the UK for the past few years as we didn't want the hassle of airport, transfer, heat etc with very young children. We took the plunge this year to go to Majorca. We chose this hotel as it has lots of facilities and entertainment for little ones.

I was very impressed with this hotel, we pretty much couldn't have asked for any better! The complex is really big, and the areas of the hotel (A/B/C) are actually completely separate hotels, and you have to cross public roads to get between them all. This isn't a big deal, they are literally all across the road from each other, and they aren't particularly busy roads, plus they have zebra crossings.

The fact that there are 3 completely separate areas to use is great for variation. When the kids started getting bored doing something we just moved on to a different area. A lot of people have complained about the sunbed situation. It's true that there is the usual queuing up and argy bargy for the "best" bed spots, but you really don't have to get involved. If you're not too fussed about being in a particular area it's not a problem. We never queued up for beds and just wandered down at 10 or 11, and always managed to get beds somewhere.

The water park in the hotel was excellent and very well run. The lifeguards are very strict in there so you know your children will be safe. Likewise the park in the hotel was really well equipped, it even has a little zip wire.

The food was very good. I've been to all inclusive hotels before and the buffet offerings have always been a bit poor. But the standard here was fantastic, especially the buffet. All of the food was really tasty, high quality, and wasn't sitting around for ages. There was always something for the kids. Lunch was good too, I think I had the spaghetti in garlic oil practically every day! We tried the a la carte option and also the tapas, but to be honest we preferred the buffet. We didn't try the burger restaurant which you have to pay for.

Our children went into the club for a few mornings which seemed OK but they didn't really love it and keep asking to go back. I'm not sure why they didn't get into it, probably more them than anything to do with the staff or the way it was run. When we did have a few hours to ourselves we went to the adult only pool which is absolute bliss!

Entertainment in the evening was really good for what it was. The entertainment team work really hard putting on all the shows. Our kids loved the mini disco, and made lots of friends dancing to the set routines. The Santana tribute band was great, nice to see some decent live music in a hotel.

The room was really nice and clean. We had a garden apartment in block C. It was handy having a garden as we could go back to the room during the midday sun and let the kids watch TV while we sat in the garden with a cocktail!

One thing that we thought was really worth doing was a private taxi transfer rather than the tour operator bus. It was so smooth being able to walk out of the airport when we arrived and get straight into a nice air conditioned car rather than hang around waiting for everyone to be on the bus, then the usual tour around the hotels wondering if yours is the next dropoff. It was quite expensive (something like £70 each way) but well worth the money.

There are 2 beaches fairly close. They aren't fantastic beaches but they are quite nice sandy coves. The sand is quite coarse and our kids didn't like it sticking to them so we didn't spend that much time down there which was a surprise, as our kids love the beach and we specifically wanted a hotel that had a beach location.

All in all a fantastic holiday at a very good hotel. I would not hesitate to recommend this hotel to anyone travelling with children. We will quite possibly return next year but we are the type of people who like to try different locations.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
18  Thank Paul R
InsotelHotelGroup, Manager at Insotel Cala Mandia Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 22 January 2014

Dear Mr. Paul R.,

Firstly sorry for the delay in respond , and wish you and your Family a Happy New Year !

We thank you for having chosen to spend your holidays in our Resort, and we are glad you enjoyed all the facilities like water park , adult area , etc. , And meals that our kitchen staff prepare carefully for satisfy our customers in Buffets and restaurants.

We regret that children have not benefited enough from the Insi Club , and the transfer fom airport to Hotel and back to Airport.

Thank you very much for your comments and your time spent to give us your feedback. All opinions are very important and help us improve our quality service .

It would be a pleasure to greet you in the near future , it will be nice from you to give us the opportunity to satisfy all your family with our services.
We remain at your disposal for any additional questions or comments .

Sincerely .
Cala Mandia insotel Resort & Spa

Purification Farinas
manager

Write a ReviewReviews (2,088)

Reviewed 23 November 2013

I went for 2 weeks with my husband and out 1 & 3 year old children and we had a fantastic holiday! The rooms were cleaned everyday, the variety of food was great, the all inclusive choice of drinks/ice creams etc was the best I've experienced. I've seen a few reviews complaining about the pools in blocks B&C closing, but we knew about this as it is in the brochure so I don't see why people are complaing - but then I usually spend a lot of time researching my holiday before I go on it!

I'm struggling to find the same quality at an affordable price for 2014, however I do disagree with Thomsons selling it as a 5 star! It's definately only a 4 star, but a good 4 star at that!

My youngest child will be 2 by the time we travel next year so I doubt we will get to go there again due to the price, But if I could I would definatley return!

Room Tip: The best pools for children are in block C, but we preferred our base in block A where the main rest...
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
9  Thank Claire M

Dear customers,

Firstly sorry for the delay in respond, and wish you a Happy New Year!

We appreciate your very positive comments about your stay with us, and would like to thank you for your time spent to give us feedback. All opinions are very important and help us to improve our service and motivate us to continue giving quality servivice.
Regarding the stars our Resort is 4. stars but I think in your country is equivalent to 5 sun.
It would be a pleasure to greet you on your vacation this year or in the near future.
We remain at your disposal for any additional questions or comments.
Sincerely.
Insotel Cala Mandia Resort & Spa

Purification Farinas

Reviewed 17 November 2013

went here in September with my mate for our annual girlie holiday, this hotel is fantastic, clean ,modern and well run. All the staff are friendly and helpful the hotel is very big and is a split complex we were in c block and up 5 flights of stairs which was hard work but we managed. The food was very good in all the restaurants the south restaurant was fab you pay a supplement and cook your own steak. The alcohol is branded you can drink cava all day long if you want too. Jorge in the adult only area looked after us well and evonne.Karen was great in the little bar. flower power We managed to get the lovely beds in the adult area everyday no problems.my only gripe was that there some many kids we counted 30 buggies one morning outside the breakfast hall. I would recommend this hotel to families there is a little train which takes you in to Porto cristo it stops right outside the hotel and Porto cristo is a lovely little place with a nice beach and boat trips, entertainment in the hotel is ok the had a rod Stewart act and Abba tribute .we had a great week here and met some lovely people.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends
3  Thank gill g
InsotelHotelGroup, Manager at Insotel Cala Mandia Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 21 January 2014

Dear Customer,
On behalf of myself and my team appreciate your very positive comments about your stay with us, we are pleased that enjoyed all the facilities and services and would like to thank you for your time spent to give us feedback. All opinions are very important and help us to improve our service and motivate us to continue to provide quality service. It would be a pleasure to greet you in the near future.

Reviewed 5 November 2013

My partner booked this hotel as a surprise for us. As we went the end of October 25th - 28th, I was unsure whether all amenities would be available as the website stated some services may be closed when it isn't high season.
On arrival the hotel looked lovely, and after a short while I realised all amenities were available much to my satisfaction. The hotel itself is on a very large scale! And offers everything you could possibly want from an all inclusive resort.
The room was to a very high standard and was extremely modern, and had a wonderful view of the pool area. It had dressing gowns and slippers which I thought was a nice touch.
The adult only area of the hotel was fab! Just as you would imagine an adult only area, luxurious and peaceful. The bar in this area on a night time was perfect for couples, with low lighting, brilliant cocktail menu and extremely comfy chairs and tables.
The meals were also wonderful, there was so much to offer on the buffet, at all meal times. The staff were very attentive and were efficient in clearing away plates etc..
The snacks were available all day, both hot and cold food and plenty of alcoholic and non - alcoholic drinks. Thee are different restaurants in the hotel, we dined at the 50's restaurant which was brilliant. It was just like going back in time and the food was wonderful.
The entertainment at the hotel was great for people with kids, and adults. There was a range of entertainment each night, the hotel reps were brilliant - although they could be a little much if you were relaxing and didn't have children!
Overall I would recommended this hotel to anyone who is looking for a resort where they have everything, the staff were very helpful and nothing seemed to be to much. I look forward to visiting this hotel again!

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
8  Thank chels-wolliam

Dear Customer,
Dear customers, On behalf of myself and my team appreciate your very positive comments about your stay with us and would like to thank you for your time spent to give us feedback. All opinions are very important and help us to improve our service and motivate us to continue to provide quality service. It would be a pleasure to greet you in the near future.

Reviewed 31 October 2013

I've just returned from 10 days at the Insotel Cala Mandia. I went with my hubby, our 3.5 year old and my parents. It was a last minute holiday and we left the hotel with feeling that we had really stumbled on a great deal. We went 19th-29th October which was half term and the end of the season. The resort was certainly not busy and we didn't struggle to get a sunbed each day (for 5 of us) or queue for food. Entertainment staff were fantastic, special mention to David and Kersten who work so hard to make such great entertainment and also Jorge in the South Restaurant which is the adults only restaurant. You have to pay a supplement for this but definitely worth it as the food was fantastic. Food in buffet restaurant was fantastic and lots of branded spirits in the bar (the quality especially appealed to my parents who are seasoned all inclusive travellers!) Water parks were great (something for all ages). We stayed in Block A which had been refurbished and were similar to a boutique hotel, seperate room for our little one and really spacious. Would definitely recommend and will hopefully go back, out of season as we really enjoyed the resort not being packed.

Room Tip: Block A has been refurbished so nice rooms.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
7  Thank helenwalshuk

Dear customers,

On behalf of our entire team Insotel Cala Mandia Resort want to thank your comments about your stay.

We are pleased to know that have had a pleasant holiday in our Resort. and thank you for the recommendations you make to yours families and friends.

It would be a pleasure to greet you on your next vacation with us.

Reviewed 25 October 2013

We took our young family to Cala Mandia Resort in August 2013. We've done all inclusive before so knew what to expect (pros and cons). This was a last minute holiday and in choosing we decided to go for the most expensive option from the places we had shortlisted. In all honesty we were a bit disappointed. The resort is nice but is was really no better than the 4 star all inclusive we did in May 2013 in Turkey. We were expecting something a bit special and in truth it was much the same as less expensive places. Nice but not that special.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
5  Thank SpeedMusic

Dear customers,

Let me first thank you for taking time to send us your comments about your stay at our Resort.

We take all comments very seriously in order to improve our service every day.

I regret that at some points we were unable to meet expectations, but I assure you that our goal is continuous improvement, and recommendations help us in this challenge.

It would be a pleasure to greet you in our facilities.

Directora

Reviewed 24 October 2013

I can only agree with some of the previous comments, We arrived just as Block B, and the Flower Power Restaurant closed for the winter. Then, half way through the week they closed Block C and the Surf Restaurant. So, suddenly we were one of the few Brits in a sea of German families, some of who were, as reported, insufferably rude.
The rooms were very well kept and the grounds were in good condition too. We were in Block A (first floor) . The weather was exceptionally good for the time of year.
The food was of reasonable quality, but very repetitive and oriented to the Germans. As compensation for the loss of the other two restaurants they mad the The 50's style American diner free, but we weren't impressed either.

If you eat at t restaurant, and sit outside, then look out for the feral cats!

The staff were nice, and did respond when required, i.e. when the room was uncleaned at 15.30 etc.

All in all, we would recommend for families more than couples. Don't miss the Caves of Drach, just go early.

Room Tip: Rooms in Block A are quieter on the Front of the Resort, as otherwise they overlook the main pool an...
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
4  Thank rcherryuk
InsotelHotelGroup, Public Relations Manager at Insotel Cala Mandia Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 25 October 2013

Dear guest,

thank you for your visit to our Insotel Cala Mandia Resort and for dedicating your time to write this review about your stay. Your feedback is very appreciated, and we are glad to hear that you enjoyed your holiday with us. It would be a pleasure welcome you back again in a future occasion.

Kind regards,

11 mi away
Inturotel Sa Marina
Inturotel Sa Marina
#1 of 46 in Cala d'Or

Been to Insotel Cala Mandia Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!