“Surfing the waves”

Ranked #5 of 11 Hotels in Porto Cristo
Sheffield, United Kingdom
“Surfing the waves”
Reviewed 7 November 2013 via mobile

Last minute holiday ...incredible 5 nights and good value for money food excellent room basic decor three pools (although main was closed off) very clean weather lovely 10 min walk to beach ... not very safe ...rocky path but each worth it when you get there x very german based hotel x Special mention to Sergio on reception ...lovely warm friendly guy x end of season so felt staff very tired and ready for well earned rest x

• Stayed October 2013
1 Thank sheppy77

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (118)
  • Czech first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
London
Reviewed 4 November 2013

Hi All, Just back from a week at this resort. I used tripadvisor to choose it so thought I would give my thoughts and bust some myths that I read on this hotel.

The Deal:
As I was a first time AI I tried to get the very best deal I could. I used a combination of cashback sites and vouchers to get the cost down to £395 per person for a week AI via lowcostholidays. This included the car rental for a week and flights. I wont bore you with detail but if you want me to tell you the way round this, message me and I will fill you in.

The Holiday:
Pro's : Weather, staff politeness, customer service, cleanliness, events, animation team, choice of food, beaches, sunsets and sunrises.

Cons : Rooms were packed quite tight ( you could hear next doors conversations) , bottom floors can hear the outflushes of the toilets and bathrooms above ( enough to wake you up ), meals could be busy at popular times.

Myths: Wifi worked fine for me, I discreetly used the room towels at the pool without issues.

I had a great week at this resort, I usually self cater with my family, and found that the extra time and relaxation you get on an AI is a real bonus.

I would probably look into coach transfer rather than car hire for any similar trip. Car hire at PMI was full issues and extra charges. We only used the car once apart from the airport runs.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
7 Thank Richbonf
Barnoldswick, Lancs
Reviewed 2 November 2013 via mobile

Spent 5 days here over half-term. Great food choice with good range of drinks. Pleasant staff. Good location and fantastic view from apartment. Pools a bit chilly but to be expected at this time of year. Pool with sea view much quieter. Didn't see evening entertainment.

Stayed November 2013
1 Thank ruthlessBarnoldswick
London
Reviewed 21 October 2013

I had an intruder in my room on the last night of my stay. I was travelling alone with my son so you can my imagine my distress at this. Couldn't wait to pack me off on the transfer to airport with every reassurance of being contacted by them and my rep (went with single families holiday) and am still waiting to hear from both. Shocking shocking shocking no idea what else to say.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
14 Thank LadyLoco
Merseyside, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 October 2013

A great big beautiful hotel. Very well run by excellent staff. Food choice massive but in peak season dining room very very noisy and chaotic. Drinks great including slushes adored by my children. Never had to wait long for anything and branded drinks could be purchased for a very small supplement. My husband was delighted that bottled beer was included on AI. A real stress free holiday in a beautiful setting with two gorgeous beaches bellow either side of the hotel. One very lovely quiet pool overlooking the ocean next to the free crazy golf. We didn't realise until our last day that there was a sports reception up next to the snack bar staffed by a very nice older guy that arranged activities for all ages on a programme throughout the day. I wish we had known as there were very few English children staying and participation would have helped our children to have had more fun. The hotel is full of mixed nationalities mainly German then French, Spanish and English in the minority. The immediate area is limited with some typical unattractive shops so hotel best used as a base if you like to explore. Overall good value (especially if you are German or speak it!).

Room Tip: Sea view rooms are great.
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
7 Thank blueeyeskye
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 October 2013 via mobile

I travelled as a single parent and stayed all inclusive. On arrival we weren't given the 1 bed apartment I had booked, we were moved to a double/twin superior room...This room had a beautiful sea view and the space was adequate for us so no complaints there, I'd recommend upgrading to the sea view rooms.
The food was great, no complaints at all, so much choice everyday, busy restaurants but that's to be expected.
The 3 pools were perfect for us and we went to the beach one day, which again was great.
The hotel and surrounding area does cater mainly for German guests. I knew this before travelling and didn't think it would be an issue but I did find some other guests unfriendly. However the kids made lots of friends and that was the main thing.
The staff were very friendly and helpful, spoke good English.
The entertainment team were first class, "crazy Chris" a particular favourite of my children, again mainly catering for German guests but we didn't find this a problem.
I'd recommend paying a visit to "la finca" the tapas restaurant, beautiful!
All in all, we had a lovely, all inclusive, week away!

Stayed September 2013
2 Thank LouiseH226
Born
Reviewed 18 September 2013

Spent a week in May with my family (2 small children).

Pros: Rooms are ok, especially if you have a sea view, it is really spectacular. Overall cleanliness. Very helpful and efficient staff. Food ok, although little boring. Decent choice and prices of paid wines. Many sport facilities.

Cons: The path leading to both beaches can be very demanding for guests with small children or any disabilities. Parking is definitely too small, it is very difficult to find a place there. Very disappointing are two 'thematic' restaurants. In the pizzeria they serve you "Dr Oetker's" product not having anything in common with a true pizza. Worse even is the 'Spanish' restaurant. The food has really nothing to do with original Spanish dishes and the staff is rude, unless you speak German. It is much better idea to ask at the reception - they should direct you to a local, not at all expensive restaurant (near car rental, around 400 m down) where you have an authenthic local kitchen.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with family
Insotel Cala Mandia Resort & Spa
IBEROSTAR Club Cala Barca
IBEROSTAR Club Cala Barca
#1 of 3 in Cala Mondrago

Been to Blau Punta Reina Resort? Share your experiences!