“You get what you pay for”
Review of Monteverde Hotel

Monteverde Hotel
Ranked #9 of 11 Hotels in Porto Cristo
Darlington
“You get what you pay for”
Reviewed 1 July 2014

My wife and I wanted a cheap getaway in the sun for 10 days and settled on the Monteverde as it was the cheapest holiday we came across. I didn't check tripadvisor prior to booking, only afterwards. If I had taken notice of all the bad reviews we would have missed out on a good holiday.
The hotel, I have been told, is 50+ years old and to be honest she is showing her age a bit, but the rooms were cleaned daily, sheets changed weekly (more often than ours are at home) but the rooms are adequate if not luxurious. Our room on the 5th floor overlooked the pool area so was a bit noisy on a night. However I have to say this only affected us on the first night when we went up early and only went on until midnight after which it was quiet.
The management have switched off the air conditioning units in the rooms, presumably to save money, and travellers going in high season might find this a problem on a night. Travelling when we did in June, it did not present too much of a problem and fans were available to be rented from reception.
The pool area was OK, the pool was cleaned every morning and my only criticism is that might have benefitted from a few more sunbeds. When we went the pool bar was not open and we had to go down to the main bar for drinks. No real problem for us. The kids play area and mini golf course could do with some refurbishment but again no problem for us as we weren't travelling with children.
On to the food for which we had to go to the Santa Maria (next door), we found it to be edible and there was plenty of it. I admit the menu was limited but there was always choices and I never went hungry. Plenty of fresh fruit and salads available and if there was one thing I would have wanted (apart from proper bacon on a morning) it would have been a bit of ice cream. Apart from meal times, there was no other food available during the day apart from some rather dubious sandwiches served between 4 and 5 in the afternoon. Again not a problem for us as we ate 3 meals on the days we spent in the hotel, more than we would at home.
The all inclusive drinks at the bar went from 10 in the morning until 11 at night after which you could get a drink but had to pay for it. This might seem for some to be a bit early and if you are looking for an all night party venue, this isn't the place. We weren't and I never went to bed sober - job done.
What made the holiday for us was the people we met while we were there. People with the same attitude as us, looking for a break in the sun at low cost and willing to make the best of the facilities available. Was this the best hotel I have ever stayed in? No. Did I thoroughly enjoy my holiday? Yes.

Room Tip: Pros and cons to whatever side of the building you get. If you like sun in your room in the morning...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
8 Thank sjerry302

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (136)
  • Czech first
  • Hungarian first
Exeter, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 June 2014

We holidayed here, for a week in June (4th - 11th) We weren't expecting much as the reviews are pretty off putting. Saying that we were pleasantly surprised. On arrival we were greeted by a very friendly hotel assistant, who showed us to our apartment. We travelled with our two children (3 and 9 months) they were very accommodating and provided us with a travel cot that they assembled in our room. Very clean and sanitary. Fresh bed sheets for all beds and cot every day. Extremely helpful with guidance about the best ways to explore the island. We rented a car, which was all sorted for us by the hotel staff. Food isn't great but I didn't have to cook or wash up so cant complain. The bar staff were very kind and polite. There is a 1 drink per person policy and you cannot take drinks from the bar to your room, but in fairness I think its just to stop people from taking the mick. Overall a lovely holiday and would defiantly stay again. I would defiantly recommend hiring a car lots of lovely beaches around if you look for them, would definitely recommend taking a day trip to Cala Mondrago for a stunning beach with amazing views!!! just south of Porto cristo. Also i should add that on one of the days I misplaced my phone in the room, we hunted everywhere and just thought that it is gone, we went out for the day and when we came back the room had been cleaned and my phone placed on the bed. Very pleased as it is an expensive phone and was obviously lost, so they could of taken it. For this alone I give the 5* Could not fault the staff at all.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
5 Thank Jessie M
Reviewed 26 June 2014

After reading the reviews I wasn't sure what to expect but it certainly exceeded my expectations. Expected to have one room for the four of us but were given a two bed apartment that was clean and very spacious. The food was basic but good with a wide range of fresh fruit available. Found the staff friendly and very helpful. All in all for a cheap, all inclusive short break it was good.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
5 Thank Sheila T
Skelmersdale, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 June 2014 via mobile

Just got back from here today and must say this is a cheap and cheerful, does what it says on the tin hotel . If you want 5 star service then this is definately NOT the hotel for you . The bad bits ....... entertainment is non existent so be prepared to make your own fun . There are hardly any sunbeds around the pool and the pool area is not the biggest in the world either but there is a large courtyard area which is a proper sun trap .pool is saltwater and is clean but not very well signed on depth so if you have kids be careful .the bar rules count when it suits 1 drink per person and you have to have finished your previous drink and if your in the queue at 2 second s past 11 your not getting one . The good bits ........ food is basic but its edible and a bit repetative the hotel is clean no bugs crawling everywere like I said don t be expecting the ritz as the monteverde is ALRIGHT you ll understand that when you ve been lol because thats most people who were there when we were s opinion

• Stayed June 2014
2 Thank craig a

Travellers are raving about these Porto Cristo hotels

Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 June 2014

Apart from feeling like you've stepped into a time warp (circa 1978), this place is not all that bad for the price. When we booked a cheap all inclusive week holiday for four, we were expecting to be cramped in a tiny dirty room.... how further from the truth it was! We were given a very clean two twin room apartment with a spacious living area, a kitchen two bathrooms and a balcony. The staff were friendly and always there to help. If they were rude to you, it was because you were rude to them, which I think is fair! There was plenty of choice for food and drink. The pool area was nice, with a play area, tennis court and mini golf (a little run down). The bar area was equipped with pool tables, a tv, arcade type machines. Plenty of loungers and tables/chairs. The WC wasn't the nicest I've used, but that was mostly down to the drunk tourists poor aim. In fact, everything bad about this hotel was due to the tourists, and the mozzies - but we can't blame the hotel for them! All in all, you get what you pay for. If you want luxury, pay more. I personally had a brilliant time here :)

Five minutes walk from town, ten minutes from beach and literally two mins from Cuevas Del Drach (dragon caves - really good tourist spot, highly recommended!)

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
4 Thank Graciedee
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 June 2014 via mobile

I came here last year with a couple of my girls and to be honest we expected worse. Food was very average they did chips every night so works for me! I do agree with a lot of the reviews about the bar you could literally only go and get your drinks your self and it's just one drink per person and the cups were like shot cups they lasted 2 seconds so felt like you are constantly queuing. We had a fab holiday though. The beach was small but lovely and shops about were good. It was a perfect little get away :-)

• Stayed July 2013
1 Thank kaylasmith1989
Wolverhampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 June 2014

I have just returned from a five day stay here. For the price it was excellent.
The room and bathroom were dated and basic but clean.
The food included standard British fare - chips etc - but there were lots of very fresh veg and fruit every meal time.
The only thing that that was a problem were the constantly drunk, moaning Britishers.
I will stress - for £18 a day we had a clean room, bathroom, three plentiful meals a day and drinks throughout if required.
The location was good. Ten minutes stroll from the beach and with a bus stop right outside so that we could easily travel to other parts of Majorca.
I would definitely come here again.

Room Tip: Good views from the rooms at the front of the hotel.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
#5 of 11 in Porto Cristo
Galaxia
Galaxia
#26 of 39 in Ca'n Picafort

Been to Monteverde Hotel? Share your experiences!