“Couples holiday”
Review of Monteverde Hotel

Monteverde Hotel
Ranked #9 of 11 Hotels in Porto Cristo
Reviewed 8 July 2014

After reading the reviews i was almost dreading this holiday!

Some confusion on arrival at 1am. Got our room key and went to the room to find no electric, returned to reception to get a card. Returned to room to find one of the bed sheets had a few tiny blood spots and that the room was so hot as no air conditioning. Once again went to reception to be told no air con anywhere in hotel as it was broken and that would get fresh sheets, when we reported the balcony door didnt lock the man said he would watch the room from there ( 1 Floor up and over reception) did repair it the following day and got fresh bedding.

The hotel is VERY noisy at night we had a lot of couples arguing outside our room and the music plays till late.
Coffee at breakfast is similar to acid..... wait for the bar to open it so much better coffee!
Food tends to be recycled eg: bacon from breakfast is chopped up and mixed with veg for lunch time watch out for this! We decided to eat out most nights.

Go to the small spar shot just down the hill on the left and buy a raid mosquito plug in i think we were the only guests who didnt get eaten alive by them, as you have to have the door open at night due to heat!

Pool is an okay size tends to be full very early and dirty by late afternoon. My advice walk down to the beach it really is lovely we swam every morning around 8am its clean well looked after and just opposite the shops.

Now the good.... Porto christo is beautiful lots of shopping night-life and some amazing food restaurants. The marina is amazing and some lovely walks up through the residential areas = beautiful coastal views. The glass bottom boat is a lovely trip pay the 22 euros and have the extra time its such a lovely ride.

If you are using this hotel as a base only it would be fine as location is just perfect. Bus stops right outside and the small train also.

Room Tip: We had room 216 very noisy with arrivals all night and music very loud i would recommend a higher fl...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank keshoney

Reviewed 8 July 2014

Me and my mate (20,21) booked this hotel by accident and after reading reviews at first was not looking forward to this holiday in the slightest but just thought to ourselves its what you make of it! After arriving after a night out in magalluf both hanging like mad we checked in very quickly receptionist was helpful and within 5 minutes we were in our room very basic but everything you need and clean. We got changed and went to the pool salt water but decent pool we met some people and got the holiday started, drinks are cheap tasting but do the job and get you double lively staff at the bar are wicked (iris and sisko) you give the staff respect here and they look after you, food was bad at first but as soon as we all complained it got a lot better, for a cheap all inclusive holiday you can't complain really the port 5 mins walk away was nice and on a weekend was very busy good atmosphere and if you want clubs go to Carla millor €1.80 on the bus and you will have a wicked night especially Havana club! All in all a week to remember oh just be prepared if you set off a fire extinguisher be prepared to pay a fine but haggle ! Anyone staying the week 29-06-14 - 06-7-14 will know what I'm talking about !

Room Tip: Front rooms have a good few!
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
3  Thank Kane T
Reviewed 7 July 2014

My boyfriend and I came here for a last minute 5 day holiday in July 2014. The food is a hit or a miss I think eventually your body just becomes used to it. There was blood on one of our towels (which weren't changed the full time we were there) and the toilet was stained and smelled. The shower went from hot to cold which was bearable as it was 30 degrees most days, what wasn't bearable was the fact it kept turning on and off so it took you twice the time to have a shower which didn't even have a window. The first night we arrived back at our room to find the lights wouldn't go on, you had to go down and get an electricity card instead of them giving you it when you first arrived. Not a big deal just annoying. The pool tasted like salt water which left your eyes stinging. There was only entertainment one night of the week and all inclusive stops at 11. The second night we were there my boyfriends brand new £110 trainers went missing and none of the staff seemed bothered in the slightest it later turned out that sticky fingers were rife in the complex. The main issue we had was one of the staff members attacking my boyfriend. After handing back rental car keys he came and told us we hadn't gave them back as we went to look for them he first threw a chair, then proceeded to pull out a bread knife (which he cut my boyfriend with), a pair of scissors and finally a crowbar. If that was to happen in a hotel in Britain the hotel staff would have been charged, here he was made to apologize by the Gardia Civil and was back the next night for his shift. I was absolutely disgusted and horrified and did not feel safe at all knowing he was still working there. The only good things about the hotel are Iris and Sisko who work behind the bar they are very helpful and helped diffuse the situation with the man behind reception. I wasn't expecting much for a cheap two star hotel but I certainly was not expecting to be attacked. I would avoid this place like the plague, it is not good value for money and there are much nicer places to go

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Mairhéad M
Reviewed 2 July 2014

As always, I quickly read some reviews before booking and read some awful reviews for this hotel. However, I also know from experience not to believe them all - some folk just seem to complain about anything. I was right, and we had a lovely all inclusive family holiday. The staff were helpful - very busy most of the time but tried to help as best they could. We generally found that the younger staff were more jolly than the older ones. The room was clean, the beds were clean white sheets and the mattresses were comfy. The shower was in clean working order and we had clean white towels, which were changed several times while we were there. The balcony was very big and had superb views over the harbour and sea at one side and the evening sunset at the other side (it went along 2 sides of the building). The bar was opened up to a large quaint, private terrace with music and drinks were of good quality (san Miguel, sangria, very nice fresh ground coffee, vodka, whiskey, soft drinks and at night there was a cocktail which seemed quite strong). I was very impressed with the food and always had a good choice. The pool was clean and safe and we always managed to find sun loungers. If I had to find something to complain about it would be the toilets in the bar and the toaster at breakfast. The toilets always smelled - Im not sure why, but they did, and the toaster was rubbish and took far too long.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
6  Thank Maryfromyorkshire
Reviewed 2 July 2014 via mobile

Me and my girlfriend went here for 2 nights overall we had a lot of fun and had plenty to drink ! We met some lovely people who we chatted most of the night away with it was sad to leave(carol and jo) the food wasn't too bad but not fussy on holiday the only think my girlfriend didn't like was the salt water in the pool as it left a horrible taste in mouth but it did wonders for her skin condition ! Along with the lovely weather we have whilst there altogether a good resort for a cheap cheerful get away :)

• Stayed: June 2014
5  Thank Richardsanders23
Reviewed 2 July 2014

Noisy, dirty, hot, and the worst thing, the receptionists are ruth!, we didnt have shampoo, anything!, one day we didnt have water in the toilete, another day we didnt have electricity, the lifts didtn work....

Its better to sleep in the street!!!

Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
5  Thank Rodrigo P
Reviewed 1 July 2014

My wife and I wanted a cheap getaway in the sun for 10 days and settled on the Monteverde as it was the cheapest holiday we came across. I didn't check tripadvisor prior to booking, only afterwards. If I had taken notice of all the bad reviews we would have missed out on a good holiday.
The hotel, I have been told, is 50+ years old and to be honest she is showing her age a bit, but the rooms were cleaned daily, sheets changed weekly (more often than ours are at home) but the rooms are adequate if not luxurious. Our room on the 5th floor overlooked the pool area so was a bit noisy on a night. However I have to say this only affected us on the first night when we went up early and only went on until midnight after which it was quiet.
The management have switched off the air conditioning units in the rooms, presumably to save money, and travellers going in high season might find this a problem on a night. Travelling when we did in June, it did not present too much of a problem and fans were available to be rented from reception.
The pool area was OK, the pool was cleaned every morning and my only criticism is that might have benefitted from a few more sunbeds. When we went the pool bar was not open and we had to go down to the main bar for drinks. No real problem for us. The kids play area and mini golf course could do with some refurbishment but again no problem for us as we weren't travelling with children.
On to the food for which we had to go to the Santa Maria (next door), we found it to be edible and there was plenty of it. I admit the menu was limited but there was always choices and I never went hungry. Plenty of fresh fruit and salads available and if there was one thing I would have wanted (apart from proper bacon on a morning) it would have been a bit of ice cream. Apart from meal times, there was no other food available during the day apart from some rather dubious sandwiches served between 4 and 5 in the afternoon. Again not a problem for us as we ate 3 meals on the days we spent in the hotel, more than we would at home.
The all inclusive drinks at the bar went from 10 in the morning until 11 at night after which you could get a drink but had to pay for it. This might seem for some to be a bit early and if you are looking for an all night party venue, this isn't the place. We weren't and I never went to bed sober - job done.
What made the holiday for us was the people we met while we were there. People with the same attitude as us, looking for a break in the sun at low cost and willing to make the best of the facilities available. Was this the best hotel I have ever stayed in? No. Did I thoroughly enjoy my holiday? Yes.

Room Tip: Pros and cons to whatever side of the building you get. If you like sun in your room in the morning...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
#4 of 13 in S'illot
Son Mas Hotel Rural
Son Mas Hotel Rural
#7 of 11 in Porto Cristo

Been to Monteverde Hotel? Share your experiences!