“What are you waiting for .... book today!”

Aparthotel Porto Drach
Ranked #1 of 11 Hotels in Porto Cristo
Glasgow
“What are you waiting for .... book today!”
Reviewed 11 July 2014 via mobile

I knew from the minute our coach transfer dropped us off that we had really cracked it with our holiday destination this year and when I opened the door to our apartment I totally fell in love with the place - especially the view! Everything about this holiday was perfect for us and even silly little niggles just washed over me because we had such a lovely stay - which is very unusual for me because I can be very pernickety sometimes!
Porto Cristo is a lovely quiet little harbour town with an excellent selection of restaurants and cafés around the town centre (I have reviewed some on here), a gorgeous beach, lovely walks and just around the far side of the harbour you will find Porto Drach Apart/Hotel.
We booked with AlphaRooms.com and paid the upgrade to a Sea View. We were given a two bedroom, two bathroom apartment with double aspects of the harbour and the pool - perfect - I made a point of waking at 5am every morning just to watch the sun rise!
We are a family of five (2 adults and 3 kids) and we can sometimes feel cramped in accommodation as most places usually squeeze a sofa bed into a room that is made for 4 but not this time. Room 407 was on a corner and had loads of space for us to spread out over the two weeks. My eldest son thought the pull out sofa bed was uncomfortable but he seemed to be just as hard to wake up here as he is at home! There was a table with four chairs, a small kitchen area with cooker and fridge and air con. I don't like wet rooms but that is a personal thing and the bathrooms were perfectly adequate with a double sink in the en-suite. Maid service was every two or three days when towels were replaced and beds made.
As it has been newly renovated, everything feels like new and of course there are a few niggles like the kettle kept tripping the electrics so I had to boil a pan of water to make tea or the towel rail wasn't fastened to the wall and fell off a few times but it certainly wasn't going to spoil this holiday!
We challenged the charge of 1€ per device per day for the wi-fi as it was listed as free on their website and a quick check with our travel agent confirmed we were entitled to free wi-fi in our room which was a huge relief. They really need to sort this out because it is a considerable expense when you are expecting it to be free - if it isn't free then don't say it is free on your website and then wonder why people complain.
We included breakfast in our package and it was perfect for our needs - a self service selection of meats, cheese, bread, rolls, fresh fruit, tea/coffee/juice and one hot option that changed each day (bacon, beans, sausage, Spanish omelette etc.) - our kids looked forward to guessing what the hot option was going to be. Staff were friendly and helpful and always cheerful - even when service got hectic!
The pool is situated to the rear of the apartments and overlooks the boat yard - sadly the pool closed at 6pm because that is when the sun disappears around the other side of the building and as it isn't a heated pool it gets pretty chilly without the heat of the sun - something my kids discovered on our first day when their lips were blue when I finally got them out of the water.
Unfortunately you still get the usual suspects who put their towels out at 8am and then disappear for half the day but thankfully most of the time there were enough beds to go around and plenty of shade under the many parasols dotted around. I would have liked it if the ground around the sunbeds could have been jet washed every morning because it did get a little dirty under your feet but it was a race for the pool staff to get the area ready each day before the towels started going down.
As mentioned in other reviews, there is a lovely lady working in the Spar across from the apartments - go out through the car park on Level 3 and walk about 50 yards down the hill - the baguettes she sells are made fresh everyday and are excellent value at 0.80€ each. We used the Hiper Centro for our main shop and they have an excellent selection of meats, cheeses and daily basics at good value for money. We stocked up on fresh fruit, soft drinks, wine and beer etc. from the supermarket which is about 15/20mins walk from the apartments and the reception staff gave us directions how to find it.
We didn't eat in SOMA Restaurant or drink in the hotel bar as we felt it was too pricey when there were so many other excellent places across the harbour or further into town and there was some strange cabaret (women singing) on a Thursday night which we found way too loud even with the patio doors closed - I'm not sure how people on lower floors could stand it?
I could go on and on about what a great holiday we had and I can appreciate some of the negative reviews that have been posted - what I would say is that Porto Drach is best described as a work in progress - you can tell that they are still trying to figure some things out but just go with it - for example in the second week of our stay they started to serve snacks and drinks at the pool and offer free wi-fi at the poolside (although we couldn't get it to work) - and there was new signage going up all the time to help guests move around easier because it is quite a strange layout - but I wouldn't hesitate to recommend these apartments!

Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
7 Thank ls3370

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (192)
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
Aarhus
Reviewed 10 July 2014

We had a one bedroom apartment in the annex of this newly renovated hotel. Although the decor at a glance is beautiful and luxurious, attention to details during renovation is lacking. Spilled paint at the floors, sliding doors not sliding smoothly, finishing touches lacking all over.
But the aircon worked perfectly providing a perfect temperature indoors for sleeping. The terrace was large and beautiful (yet a bit hot during daytime). The beds in the bedroom was nice and big - but the sofa bed in the living room was terrible. We both still have marks and bruises on our backs from the springs of the mattress.
The kitchen supplies were limited, but enough for us to eat breakfast and lunch at the apartment every day. The small Spar just down the road supplied us with freshly baked baguettes, delicious cheese, ham and tomatoes as well as other minor groceries. The lady there is very friendly and helpful - and much cheaper than the larger Spar in the center of the city.
The staff were mostly friendly, but some did not speak one word English making communications impossible. The manager smoothed out incidents with the almost-non-English speaking receptionist and was helpful with letting us dry our towels for free (after being left outside in a heavy tropical rain storm) - the receptionist wanted us to pay for one weeks use of the laundry room...
The pool was great - big and clean and with enough sun beds and space for everyone. The pool bar had a limited selection of drinks, but was okay. The prices of drinks were lower in the vending machine in the reception :-)
One major disappointment is the fact that the Wi-Fi is not for free - as stated on the hotel's own website and when we booked the hotel with our travel agency. In fact we had to pay 1 Euro per day - PER DEVICE! With a family of four, this could be quite a large expense. Luckily with a bit of Bluetooth tethering, we could share one connection and save a lot of money.
In summary, a great hotel in a lovely fishermen's town.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank DrAarhus1975
Matias S, Receptionist at Aparthotel Porto Drach, responded to this review, 10 July 2014
Dear Family,
First of all, thanks a lot for spend your time to write this rewiew.
The Aparthotel Portodrach is new as you wrote and is also for this that day by day we are tryng to improve and with your comment and suggest you will help us to do it.
Porto Cristo is a lovely place and the people are friendly and nice.
About all the negative comment, we are tryng to give the best and all the staff try to improve for satisfy completely the holiday of all our clients.
We hope to see you for the next holiday and give us the possibilty to give a better service.
Best Regard
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 July 2014

Never have I felt so appalled than I did from the service and experience at this hotel.

My partner and I booked our holiday back in March, we stumbled across Porto Drach and were blown away by how fantastic the hotel presented itself and how overwhelmingly positive the reviews were on Trip Advisor. Well, how wrong were we.

We arrived around an hour and a half before the standard check in time and were told our room wouldn’t be ready for another few hours and instead we ought to familiarise ourselves with Porto Cristo for a half an hour or so.
We were also asked if we wanted WiFi we needed to pay 1€ per day, despite the website stating it was free. Despite paying, the WiFi didn't even work.
We were eventually given the key to our room and despite booking a room with a balcony, and the website stating that EVERY room had either a balcony or terrace, the room was not what we expected. It felt like a large white, clinical box with two tiny windows with bars on - no balcony, no terrace. Instead it was right next to the car park and a busy main road.

We were provided with two single beds pushed together (which would move apart) as a ‘double bed’.
The bathroom was fitted for a handicapped person. There were railings either side of the toilet and the shower looked unusable. It was hanging at knee length on the wall, no screen, nor an elevated level where the water would drain into, away from the rest of the bathroom. Instead the drain was in the middle of the bathroom floor (standard for several places in Europe) and on our first evening at the hotel, the bathroom flooded making the floor a health and safety hazard. It was not exactly what you would expect from a hotel that presents itself as luxurious.

We asked to speak to the manager about how we had been given a room that we did not book. After speaking to several receptionists, we eventually spoke to the manager. He told us he wasn’t aware we requested a balcony (despite it being standard for all rooms), however if we came back in two days (as the Office was closed on Sundays...) he would speak to us about our room in more detail.
We did however persist and tried to get the issue sorted on the Sunday, with confused receptionists simply telling us they didn't know what to do. Things weren't looking good at all, and in particular for the hotel with such a positive reputation.

Feeling incredibly frustrated and rather upset, the stress of our hotel accommodation was ruining our holiday and prevented us from being able to enjoy ourselves outside of the hotel.

Finally on the Monday, we sat down with the manager and expressed our frustrations. He told us we never booked a balcony, simply a bedroom with a double bed (which we weren’t provided with). We corrected him and showed him our copy of the hotel booking, alongside the Porto Drach website room description and images of the room we booked. We also showed him the description of the hotel when we booked stated "All guest rooms at the hotel... come equipped with a fully fitted en suite bathroom with shower... and either a terrace or balcony". So where was our terrace at least? The manager appeared embarrassed and refused to admit the error, simply telling us 'I don't know, there's nothing I can do, this isn't our fault'. The hotel, understandably in holiday season was likely to be fully booked but guests had checked out on the day we spoke to him so we asked to move to a room suitable to what we had booked. He said 'no, I don't know, maybe in a few days.... I don't know'. This wasn't good enough so we asked to be compensated, having spent a fortune on our holiday and the service we were receiving was not as we expected. Once again we were told 'no, I don't know'. Could we be moved to a different hotel? 'No, I don't know, there's nothing I can do'.
The manager tried to walk away from the situation several times; shocking as that is not what you would ever expect as a customer/guest. My partner and I were furious by this point, pointing out that such poor service as we were experiencing would be reflected in our review on Trip Advisor. He appeared clearly panicked and told us that anything we were to write in our review, he would subsequently comment afterwards that we were lying. What an embarrassing comment to make to a guest!

The manager gave up with us and told us we needed to contact the company we booked with (Lowcostholidays). We asked to use his phone as it would cost a fortune for us to use our mobile phones abroad, which he was reluctantly agreed to.
Lowcost were fantastic and were incredibly apologetic about the mix-up over our room, understanding our disappointment and insistent they would help us.
Instead, they were able to find a new hotel for us to stay in immediately.
The hotel we were moved to (Son Corb in Cala Bona) was fantastic and they could not do enough for us; we truly felt as if we were in paradise and the hotel's manager Victoria was the complete opposite to the manager at Porto Drach. She was friendly, helpful, understanding and willing to do anything to improve our holiday - just what you would hope for. We were incredibly fortunate that this was sorted for us by Lowcost and we were able to have a lovely holiday in the end.

If we had waited a few days more for the possibility of being moved, it would have been too late as the majority of our holiday would have been wasted. We did not work hard and save for months for a holiday that ultimately would have upset us.

Porto Drach however should be incredibly ashamed of themselves for the way they treated us, and most likely other guests who were in our situation too. Foolishly, we booked Porto Drach having only read reviews for the hotel when guests hadn't stayed in season (as the hotel only re-opened in Autumn 2013) so undoubtedly all guests were provided with balconies/terraces as there would have been plenty of rooms available in the hotel.
We both suspect that over this summer season, there are likely to be many upset and disappointed guests who are faced with a situation similar to ours which for Porto Drach will seriously affect them.
Even if you splurge and book a Sea View room, we cannot express enough that for the service alone, Porto Drach ought to be avoided. For the way we were made to feel at the hotel by the manager and the fact that the first few days of our holiday were wasted due to being messed around, it is quite frankly disgraceful.

8 Thank Lucy2419
Caerphilly County, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 July 2014

In a way I echo the experience of James P in an earlier review of this aparthotel, but our outcome was a bit happier. We are three people and booked and paid for a two bedroom apartment, but on arrival found that we had been allocated two separate (adjacent) one bed apartments. Not a big problem you may think, but one was DAMP with atmospheric humidity levels similar to a sauna and uninhabitable so much so that we felt sick after only being in there for 15 mins. I complained to the lady on reception and was told "sorry we are fully booked, see the manager when he is in tomorrow". Not a good start. The three of us squeezed into the one bed aptmt which was ok but not for three in my view, and anyway that wasn't the point, we had booked & paid for a two bed. Next morning after a terrible night's sleep on a dire sofa bed (I hate those, sorry I am too old for that nonsense, I like a proper bed) I went to reception and saw a very nice gentleman there - asked if he was the manager and had half a confirmation, still not sure if he was or wasn't, and he said to come back in an "hour or two" and he would see what he could do. I must admit my hopes were not high, but when I dutifully returned, he produced a fabulous two bed apartment with a fantastic terrace and off we went like tramps in a chip shop. I couldn't believe the difference in these rooms, but make no mistake this rating would be a 1 star had we been made to remain in the first one allocated. Good points: lovely modern decor, great views if you pay extra for the "sea views" - (slightly misleading it isn't actually the sea but the harbour, quite pretty though). Bad points: not enough clothes hangers, very sparse kitchen supplies - not even a tea towel or washing up implements. As others have said, you pay extra for anything and everything e.g. wireless access in the rooms, use of an iron, key to the laundry room, although charges are very reasonable e.g.. 3 euros for key to laundry room with lovely Bosch washing machines and dryers, so not really complaining about that. We tried breakfast on the first day but it was 8 euros per person and not really worth that to be fair, so we bought some lovely huge croissants at 1 euro each in the local Spar shop and heated those in the oven - gorgeous. This may all sound quite negative and was touch and go but because the feel of the hotel is one of relative quality you are inclined to forgive most of the shortcomings as it is clearly the best accommodation in Porto Cristo - but be aware there doesn't appear to be much competition! Didn't try the cuisine in Soma next door, so can't comment on that, but lots of local restaurants all ok none outstanding.

Room Tip: Pay extra for "sea view". Room 306 is the way forward!
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Happytobeolder
Dear Family.
Thank you very much for spend your time and write your rewiew on tripadvisor about the Aparthotel PortoDrach.
We are sorry about the begenning of your holiday, but we try to give the best solution after one day cause the hotel was in overbooking.
All the staff work hard and is friendly with all our clients. We would like that wach guest that come here in the end of the holiday go home happy.
We are also tryng to improve for the brakfast and the idea is add more specialites from Mallorca.
We hope to see you soon.
Best regards
Reviewed 6 July 2014 via mobile

Had began to worry irrationally after the couple's review below but we checked in yesterday to a 2 bed, 2 bath, sea view apartment and, honestly, top notch.
Staff are very friendly, room standard is unbeatable. We rejected safe hire at €2 per day but, possibly because we arranged via Jet2, our wifi is complimentary - if very slightly stuttery.
Air con is the best I have ever experienced.
Don't hesitate to book although if you are wanting a tourist trap then not for you. Lovely resort. So far, Jet2 exceptional as well. Will review again after our 15 days but truly excellent.

Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank davythebankie
Dear Family,
thank you very much for you rewiew about Aparthotel Portodrach,
We are happy to read comments like yours and for sure i will pass your feed-back to all the staff that everyday work hard for satisfy the holiday of our clients.
Hope see you soon.
Best Regards
County Down, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 July 2014

My wife and I had a booking at the Porto Drach for 7 nights from the 21 June. When we first arrived we thought all the positives reveiws on trip advisor were confirmed, newly refurbished, lovely location, bright and clean. Unfortunately that was soon shattered as we had the same experience posted by James P.
We had booked a one bedroom apartment with a balcony or terrace with Jet2holidays, but were allocated a two bedroom apartment with no balcony only a windows. The Manager gave a well rehearsed lecture that we had not booked a balcony and should have sepecifically asked for a bacony and that the hotel was full and we have to stay in that room for the full week. Like James P I also noticed that the only customers caomplaining that they had been issued rooms without balconies were english speaking.
Fortunately Jet2holidays, thanks to the local rep Cheryl, managed to find us alternative accommodation after 2 nights. We had to go to Alcudia, but it was worth it to get our holiday back on track and it was so nice to have customer friendly staff in the Sea Club Alcudia when we arrived.
As for the Manger of the Porto Drach he was something else. His only only contact with us after registration, was when he called to our room on the second day. I thought he was maybe going to say that he had managed to get us a room with a balcony, but he only wanted to know when we would be leaving the hotel as he said he needed to know. I just told him to contact Jet2holidays as my booking was through them. When we left after two nights the Receptionist on duty at the Hotel Drach said she was sorry, which is something the Manager didn't say at any stage during our stay.
This is my first ever review on Trip Advisor, but with such dreadful customer service at the Porto Drach I think its important that potential customers should know.
M&A

8 Thank Mark_Co_Down
Bath, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 June 2014

After seeing perfect reviews for this place I thought it would be an ideal place for myself and my partner to stay. This was however incorrect.

Firstly the customer service was extremely poor, it seemed the staff didn't want to help you at all and would just come up with an excuse when they couldn't help you.
The Wifi clearly stated that it was free but we ended up having to pay €7 for it.
When we got to our room we discovered it wasn't what we booked, there was no balcony and instead bars on the window so after discovering this we went to reception to ask why we were not put in the room we booked. They could never give us a valid reason and said to come back in 2 days when the manager was here.
When meeting the manager to discuss the room he stated it wasn't his fault and that he couldn't do anything about it. This upset me as I felt he didn't care about his customers. We asked to be moved but he stated there was nothing he could do.
We then said this poor service and experience would be reflected in our review about the place as it wasn't to the standard we required. He responded to us saying "I will comment on your review and say you are lying". I believe for him to say that was outrageous, surely he should want his guests to have the best time possible and he couldn't offer it. It also came to my attention other English guests had been complaining to him as well and had been given similar rooms. It seems the hotel dislikes English guests and I would avoid at all costs if English.

Overall a very disappointing experience and I don't recommend Porto Drach to anyone.

7 Thank James P
#4 of 29 in Sa Coma
Inturotel Cala Azul Park
Inturotel Cala Azul Park
#3 of 46 in Cala d'Or

Been to Aparthotel Porto Drach? Share your experiences!