“Cracking Holiday AKA Freddie and the Gang” 4 of 5 bubbles

Sol Alcudia Center Apartamentos
Ranked #13 of 48 Hotels in Port d'Alcudia
GreenLeadersSilver level
Milton Keynes, United Kingdom
“Cracking Holiday AKA Freddie and the Gang”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 August 2012

This place was a snack bar away from perfection!! Not having a snack bar certainly did me a favour though as the hot dogs and toastie's would have done far too much damage on the waistline...It was more the fact the kids were having such fun in the kids clubs and in the pool that they couldn't be bothered to visit the restaurant for lunch, me and the wife did and let me tell you the quality/variety on offer was impressive, I tucked into a salad most days for lunch which helped the 6 pack no end :) !!!

As some mention it was very clean and tidy and all bar staff bar the one(u know who you are lol) were very personable. As for the people moaning about them not cleaning the pool area up, I didn't have an issue with this and I got off my backside and took my empty glasses back to the bar, always got a sun bed and we were quick to free up the kids beds for others that were not up early enough to stick their towels down in true Brit style...or should I be saying German?!?!?

Entertainment was good in my opinion, ok I don't personally like Tom Jones but still made that particular night a good night...we're on holiday right just get drinking and singing and you'll still even enjoy our mate Tom!!

My regret was not getting involved in more activities, I got roped into water polo on my last day and thoroughly enjoyed it and I'm sure would have secured the golden boot before I left aye Mr Eastbourne :)

I'll be going back next year for sure and it would be great if those families from this year attend also because you all made our holiday ............FREDDIE is still asking "can we go back on holiday Daddy"

Room Tip: I guess a poolside room but we never had one and just got on fine!
3 Thank craig j

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (268)
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
Newtownards, Northern Ireland, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 August 2012

The hotel is kept very clean and the staff are very helpful and friendly. we were all inclusive, the food was very nice there was a wide selection of food and drinks was never hungry or needed to go anyehere else.really worth going all inclusive as my son drinks alot of milk and and niece and nephew drunk alot of soft drinks. yes needed to put our towels out to get sun beds but it is like that most place ive been. swiming pools both great. the smaller pool was great for my 4year old to play safely by him self. the kids had a ball with great entertainment day and nite. very close to the shops and beach. at night in the hotel bar great for all the family. Our family age from 4years til 70years and everyone had a great time. even give us a room to shower in as we were not not leaving til that evening and the had just been cleaned. just wish we had longer. yes would go back again

2 Thank clair325
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 August 2012 via mobile

I ve never written a review before but feel compelled to for two reasons. Firstly, to counter some of the negative and inaccurate drivel some people have written on here about a superbly located hotel, that for a family on a budget, represents great value be it all inclusive or self catering. Secondly, the staff from the chamber maids, restuarant & bar staff who are all polite, take interest and are helpful to the incredible entertainment team who made our holiday so special. Marcello leads the way with a great support cast of Raquel, abi and manuella all of whom run a great kids mini club which our 7 & 6 yr old boys loved. The adults have also plenty to do and there are 3 activities a day in each case. If you embrace what they try to do to make your holiday, you ll get so much back! We were also blessed to have great people there when we attended - you know who you are! And I can say I have never been on a holiday where quite so many people said they wanted to go back again next year. A true reflection of the real impact made in us all by the effort everyone working there makes in ensuring you have the best time ever. Cheer up all you miserable people, sol Alcudia centre gets our vote, and that's from "mr sol Alcudia 2012" ha ha!! Ps the crazy crepe man is up th road - see YouTube and the port is a short walk or taxi away with great resturants

Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
7 Thank Bob H
Dublin 3
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 August 2012

The hotel was clean. After that everything else is downhill.
It is beside the beach, but so are numerous other hotels as the lovely beach, and it is really lovely, stretches for miles. Stay at the port , this hotel is 20 mins walk from the port. The port is also beside the beautiful beach. Or stay in Can pickafort, a far superior resort up the road.

There is nothing enticing about where this hotel is.
The pool area is horrible with people drinking from their all inclusive packages all day and nobody tidying up around the pool until they were closing it for the night.There was no snack bar which was very unusual when serving drink all day.....

We booked a studio for 3 adults(we were 2 adults and a 13 year old) and it was tiny. I can not imagine how anyone cooks in these if they wanted to. We didn't.
ours was at the back of the hotel, so you cannot sleep. Believe me , some nights the club noise went on until 6.30 AM!! To change to a pool view room at the front of hotel you'd have to pay 8 euro per day more. We had booked with Alpha rooms and they had not made this clear.
It is not clear on their website, although the receptionist said it was on a website, i'm not sure whis one he was talking about.
There was no free wi fi either, and they charge 2 euro for 15 mins, which goes very fast when their connection was very slow!!!
The balconies need painting badly, very grotty. I had requested a non smoking room and the smoke from the balcony next door blew into our room, so we had to have the door closed most of the time. In fact, smoke seemed to come in through the air conditioning also.

The shower curtain rail fell down everytime it was used!

If you want entertainment at night , don't expect anything here., Awful stuff. Stay in Can Pickafort, great selection of bars with real live music. Sadly lacking all around Alcudia. Only thumping disco music from the clubs .

The third bed was a test in endurance, with the mattress spring almost prodruding through to damage you. We did complain, and got a second mattress on top of this. But this is the sort of mattress used all over the hotel.

Room Tip: Don't stay at the back of the hoel , backing onto the street, because you will not sleep.
1 Thank sunnydaysforbeglan
London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 August 2012

The hotel is quite old and it needs a refurbishment. air conditioner works only if everything is closed and teh jet was direct on teh beds. as well it´s noisy as downstairs it is full of pub and restaurants. the staff instead is very helpful and friendly. good price qnyway

1 Thank Raquelita_BCN
Bridgnorth, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 August 2012

After spending 2 hours on the bus (a transfer from hell to Alcudia!!), we arrived at the hotel late. We were welcomed by friendly staff on Reception.

After reading a review on here before we booked, we knew we had to get up early to reserve the beds by the pool. There were not enough beds by the pool to accommodate the hotel it seems. The pools were clean and they were great for our children (15,13 and 3). Our smallest especially loved the smaller pool which was shallow at one end enough to paddle in and deep enough to swim in at the other end. The larger pool was deep enough for the teenagers to spend their time showing off their bombing skills!

As we were on all inclusive (because of the teenagers with bottomless stomachs). Breakfast was the best of the meals, with a good selection, although not many cereals (only 4). Lunch and evening meals were also good but became a bit monotonous after a few days. It would have been good if they had let us go to their outside restaurant for night just to break things up a bit. The boys ate the snacks and ice cream in between meals, which you had to go to the main restaurant for. The beer and soft drinks included in the package were good as well.

The hotel it self looked a bit tired on the outside (needed a coat of paint) but the interior was clean and well maintained. The hotel reception, bar, restaurant and all the other public areas were clean. The rooms were clean too and roomy enough for our family. The connected supermarket was also clean and had an entrance leading off from reception. There was also a Nail and hair bar, which we did not use.

The WIFI in this hotel was the only negative thing, There was only reception for WIFI in the reception and they charged 30 EUROs for one week. A bit excessive when I know other hotels in area had better reception for half the price. (picked their WIFI up from my phone around the hotel)

But what made this hotel, was it's staff!

From the moment we arrived we were made to feel welcome. They were all friendly and helpful to us.

The entertainers were brilliant! Marcelo, Raquel, Abi and Manwuela deserve the most credit. There was kids club in the day time, with drawing and arts activities every morning and then sometimes an activity in the pool in afternoon. The adults had their activities too in the daytime. Archery, shooting, beach volleyball, water polo, all free. In the evening, the entertainment would start off with a Mini Disco, and then some form of Adult entertainment. This was either an external group, tribute act or done by the resident staff. Tom Jones and a group called Xerox was particularly good.

All together a really good holiday away and I wished we'd booked longer.

Room Tip: Go for a room with a pool view on the far side of the hotel. Furtherest away from reception you get...
1 Thank JasonMac1
Leeds, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 August 2012

I love Sol hotels so when I booked this I didn't think any thing would be wrong. 7of us went me my husband, my daughter and 4 grandchildren. 7 nights all inclusive. Thinking kids eat and drink as much as they wanted nothing stopping them. Oh but they was, no snack bar so anything they wanted to eat between meals I had to buy. No juice for the kids, no dilute or fruit shoots or anything like that, just water or fizzy pop. Slush puppy you had to pay for. No icecreams unless you took them from the restaurant. Drinks apart from local beer, gin vodka and whiskey all other drinks you got at 50% off. So my definition of all inclusive was not their definition of all inclusive. Meals in restaurant were crap no choice I even took photos, 1potatoe choice I veg, I meat and 1 fish choice absolute rubbish not what I expect from a sol hotel. Must say the rooms were great. I paid over 5k for 1 week and it was a expensive week spent 500 on food and
Drink while I was there and I don't drink alcohol. I won't be going back that's for sure. Service for those staying all inclusive was poor, if you pay you get waited on if your all inclusive you don't. Absolute rubbish very disappointed.

1 Thank Dawn W