“Entertainment Let Down”
Review of Platja d'Or

Platja d'Or
Ranked #17 of 49 Hotels in Port d'Alcudia
Reviewed 26 August 2014

This is my 6th visit to this hotel spanning over a 24 year period.

Cleanliness
All the staff worked extremely hard to keep this hotel spotless, from the rooms, to the bars stairways and restaurant I saw the cleaners constantly working all day.

You could never go hungry at this hotel as I felt there was plenty of choice even for the fussy eaters. Yes if you go for a fortnight it is repetitive. The food is mainly aimed at the 'English' however personally I've come to a Spanish Island and would have liked to have seen Spanish food available to try. When the restaurant is closed you can also order sandwiches from the bar (Menu choice available) and although this wasn't advertised anywhere you could also order Ice cream from the bar (You only get 1 Scoop - just order another one if not enough)

Room
Again already mentioned this was spotless. Although on the small side but hey I don't come on holiday to spend time in my room other than sleeping and washing. Suitcases just lift the bed up slightly and slide them under. I have quite a large thick case and had no problems getting it under the bed. You have a small fridge in the room and a hair dryer. A small TV is in the room with about 3 channels which I have previously seen other guests complain about......... Who pays all that money to come on holiday and watch T.V !

Bar
All the staff here are fantastic and you are never waiting for more than a minute or two to get your drink (2 at a time only) You can purchase the branded spirits if you wish at 2 Euros which I think is very reasonable. They do have a menu tucked away behind the bar which is never out and when I asked why I was just told no-one buys them so they don't bother. (Give us the choice please)

Beach
The beach here is fantastic and just over the road from the Hotel. Golden sands stretching for miles. You can hire the sunbeds for 9Euros (2 beds and an Umbrella) a day. Minimum reserve 4 days. You can just have 1 day however in peak season you do get people reserving for a week or 2. Best to come down at 7am in the morning and look for one without a Orange Reserve Ticket as this is when all the expired ones get taken off.

Pool
Cleaned every morning. You are not allowed to reserve your bed until 8am. I always managed to find a couple in the afternoon after being on the beach all day.

Entertainment
Unfortunately this year I found the entertainment to be a huge let down. I believe this to be down to the Hotel itself and not Thomson. The only act worth watching I thought was Xerox who had the whole crowd involved. Tina Turner was OK although many songs were not Tina Turner. Abba Act unfortunately only one of the girls could sing and led the show as best she could.
James and John did there best for the daytime activities. Some bad reviews for James although this is a young lad just starting out in his job and doing his very best in my opinion,I'm sure with time and more experience he will improve as we all do in our jobs. (No one started out brilliant) John however I found to be quite arrogant and kept mentioning his ex wife at every opportunity on the microphone usually putting her down which I found to be extremely unprofessional and not funny. I didn't meet the other reps as didn't go to the welcome meeting however when passing found them to be polite and friendly.

Alcudia
Lovely town just a short bus ride away 1.50 euros each. Or a 50 Mins walk. Or 6 euros in a taxi. Small market on the evening just under the bridge, if you carry on walking you can see some of the yachts that are out of this world. Alcudia 'Old Town' (7-8 euros in a taxi from Hotel) there is a market every Sunday and Tuesday. Worth a visit although the buses to tend to get very packed so best to take a taxi.

Overall I had a very enjoyable holiday although will not be returning next year. Let's just hope the Hotel take on board some of the Entertainment comments and improve for next year.

I booked my Holiday last October and specified a Pool View Room High Up, only to be told when arriving they were fully booked - I booked last October! they had obviously overlooked yet again same as they did the year before when I put in a request. Seems like the hotel are getting a little complacent of the regular returning guests.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank WestMidlandsMissP
There are newer reviews for Platja d'Or

Reviewed 26 August 2014

This hotel was the location of our first overseas holiday over 20 years ago and we have been there about 14 times in all. Many of the staff greet us as regular visitors so it is just like returning home. This must be one of the best hotel locations as the beach is just across a quiet cul de sac and through the pine trees to reach the clean sandy beach. In July/August the sea is delightfully warm and slopes gradually. We always purchase lilos and sun shades as this works out a lot cheaper than those for hire on the beach as we went to the beach almost every day.There is always a good choice of food so we did not eat out once. I cannot tel you how much weight I put on over the two weeks stay. I cannot say enough about the all inclusive option so there is no fear of over spending. We enjoy it so much we have already booked for 2015.

Room Tip: Try to ask for a room on the sea side of the hotel on floors 2 or 3.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Roger G
Reviewed 25 August 2014

We stayed here for a few days after a superb cruise around the Med, our room was clean and tidy with a large bathroom, staff were polite, friendly and helpful, plenty of choice of food available with wine, beer and soft drinks to help yourself to in the dinning room. The beach is just across the road where sun loungers can be hired daily or weekly. Lovely clear sea and golden sand. The hotel bar served drinks in plastic glasses on request so you can take them to the beach. It is in a very quiet area but there are restaurants, shops and bars 10 - 15 minute walk away in either direction. On a down side we didn't use the pool but did notice people were waiting at the door from 7am ready for staff to open the outdoor area at 8am so they could reserve a sunbed! We had a lovely stay here, very relaxing and would definitely stay again.

Room Tip: Rooms on the roadside of the hotel can hear the traffic noise, but it's not to bad.
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank kittykat123_10
Reviewed 25 August 2014

This hotel is in a great location, two minutes from the beach and 5 minutes from a supermarket. shops and good restaurants about 15 minute walk. The hotel staff are great and friendly and the hotel is clean. The food is average, we opted to eat out a lot of the time despite being all inclusive. The rooms are nice however the mattresses are dire and you will not get a good sleep, the rooms are also very noisy- can hear everything going on in opposite rooms and outside.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank 81Joe
Reviewed 25 August 2014

I just Got One Word To Say About This Hotel And The Beach Excellent.Been 3 Times And We Will Be Back.love It Here.How People Can Moan About This Place.Well Words Fail Me.Roll On Next July.SUN SUN SUN.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
5  Thank Kevin L
Reviewed 23 August 2014

We returned home today from a week here.Firstly ignore any negative comments about this hotel.my husband and I wanted a nice quiet hotel with no children and this is just what we got
The hotel is very clean and tidy the reception staff are very polite and friendly ,Katie and Haley the thomsons reps where very helpful and always at hand if you needed them I.e we should have had a bottle of champagne in room when we arrived but it wasn't Katie arranged for us to recieve it when we wanted it

Food-there was a variety of cold and hot dishes for breakfast lunch and dinner ,and it was good and also they did show cooking ,one night was steak and the chefs in front of me cooked my steak as I have it
blue /rare

The room- the rooms were again very clean the cleaners came in everyday even if you didn't ask and exchanged the bath towels etc. the bathroom was a good size with bath and shower .The only downside to the rooms were the beds as there are very hard

Outside you have a good size pool surrounded by sun loungers yes towels are placed on sun beds early but there was always spares for people coming later in the day and there is tables and chairs situated in the area also a poolside bar
The beach is opposite the hotel just through a small wood

Entertainment team James and John were a great team they provided plenty of entertainment and events for all ages from games in the pool to games on the beach plus the lunchtime quiz which as a lady in my 30s the questions again were for all ages,the evening entertainment was very good with tribute bands the Beatles ,the bee gees and Gary Barlow and the cocktail party which we sadly had miss some off due to flying home also at night music was played by either James or John they played all requests even the worst requests

The bar and resturant staff again were very polite and friendly
We will be retuning next summer but for 2 weeks instead of the week

• Stayed: August 2014
3  Thank Natasha C
Reviewed 22 August 2014 via mobile

Egnore bad reviews because this hotel has everything you'd expect and its so clean! Staff work hard and fast, you hardly wait for anything.

Food... me and my partner are fairly fussy and we still managed to eat plenty, sometimes its basic but there is a lot of choice.

Room.... the rooms are cleaned everyday and there fine for what you need. Bathroom and shower are good. The beds however are a bit hard.

Pool... always loads of sun beds, and this is peak season! But the best ones go fairly early in the mornin. There is no need to que but dont expect any after 10:00.

Location.... half the guests in this hotel use the beach because its so close, you can easily run across for drinks and meals and just keep going back. Busier town centre is about 20 min walk.

Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
8  Thank Tryner798
Also consider these accommodations in or near Port d'Alcudia
Hotel Astoria Playa Only Adults
AluaSoul Alcudia Bay
AluaSoul Alcudia Bay
#11 of 49 in Port d'Alcudia
Protur Palmeras Playa Hotel

Been to Platja d'Or? Share your experiences!