“Nice resort for families”
Review of Viva Sunrise

Viva Sunrise
Ranked #6 of 50 Hotels in Port d'Alcudia
Reviewed 14 June 2012

Among standard things you expect going to 4star (rated 4 by spies/thomas cook) hotel,
We liked:
- spacious, renovated room (paid extra) with designer bathroom, and nice view over mountains
- breakfast ! Superb food, real squeezed juices, decent coffee, tasty bread, pancakes, and all possible variety with good quality
- we were not served at the pool area. If you want to seat at a table and get ice cream dessert or cocktail from the bar, no probs. you want to bring your water or beer or anything else to your sun chair, fine as well.
- superb beach 3min walk from the hotel

We didn't like:
- terrible Internet connection, shame! Such an easy to cover detail. Some people enjoy to read some news or write a review on tripadvisor when they're at the pool, but forget it. Wi-fi is crap.
- a back street right under our balcony ( facing north, the opposite of poolside ) where trash cars, supply vans seemed to be cruising in circles in the mornings and late afternoons.

Tips:
- hotel is located among other huge hotel complexes - good 3 clicks of stroll to down town caffes and restaurants. We love walking on holidays but not everyone does
- markets and traviata restaurant in the hotel building offer you double or triple prices compared to competition just few meters away so you must be laziest person ever or enjoy shopping in Irma which looks just as regular Spanish mercado to shop there :)
- in the area we saw 2 stand out hotels: Sea Club and the bungalows of Sunwing Alcudia
- before you take half board or all inclusive, consider there are hundreds of restaurants within 15min walk from the hotel, some of them true pearls
- plenty of parking space. You can rent a hatchback for 1 week, if you search online before you arrive, for around 120eur, an equivalent of airport-hotel bus fee for 3 + 1day of rent from local rentals

Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family
3  Thank marcin_cph

Reviewed 13 June 2012

We arrived late at night and were immediately impressed with the look of Viva Sunrise!!!

Upon check in, the staff were attentive and very friendly and made for a great first impression. We were lucky enough to stay all inclusive, and even though we arrvied around midnight, we were offered snacks/sandwiches which we thought was nice.

Our hotel room whilst not huge was certainly comfrotable, clean and adequate. We had pre booked a childs cot, but as this was no there, had to ring reception and this was brought up within 10minutes, minimal fuss!!!

The pools are absolutley excellent, especially the kids pool with the slides,pirate boat and shallow water!!! The kids loved this!! There is no real drama in getting a sunbed next to the pool, and although a few do try and reserve with towels, this isnt widespread.

The All inclusive menu wasnt brilliant if im being honest, and could have done with being a bit more varied. They did try to have cetain cuisine themed nights, which broke things up a bit. This is probably the only slight negative if im being honest!!!

The entertainment on an evening was very good, they are very attentive, and the waiter service excellent.

i would have no problem recommending this hotel to family and frineds, you certainly get what you pay for.

We now make a point of looking for the hotel viva chain when booking our next hols.

Room Tip: If you can afford it, plump for the Royal Sun terrace Appts, they have a bigger balcony, jacuzzi and...
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
3  Thank Stephen C
Reviewed 12 June 2012

We have just returned from a 10 day break at the Viva Sunrise (Couple + 10 yr old girl and 7 yr old boy). Overall I have to give this a Very Good rating and the only reason that it is not excellent is because of a few rowdy neighbours waking us up moss nights in the early hours....and I know the review is long, but hopefully you'll think it worth it.....We were All Inclusive - if there was a 4.5 rating I'd give it as well.....so, all the great stuff first.
Pool area(s). Great pools coping for all abilities and heights...very small "splash" pool for real youngsters to sit and get used to their first water experience...next childrens play area with slides, chutes, and shallow water plus an incredible "bucket" soaking experience which is hillarous if it catches you out(!). Then the main large pool has a gradual depth increase from very shallow to about 1.2m. Plenty of space for ball games and generally messing about. Finally "deep" pool (1.8m ish) good size to get some lengths in when not busy and cooling off for a quick dip. GREAT POINT..Life Guard on duty from about 10.00am - 5.00pm each day - excellent at his job as well. Sorted out a few medical issues and checked for safety all round (doing rounds, checking life belts etc.) also would have a quiet word with people diving in as clearly could be an issue for adults....a real reassurance.
This hotel is also absolutely spotless (I generally got up early to get some lengths in as mentioned) and each day there is an army of cleaners, sweeping around, mopping pool area, scrubbing sunloungers (I have never seen this before in any hotel), gardening etc. etc. The same level of cleanliness applies to the insides of the hotel too which is self evident.
Onto the restaurant areas and waiting staff.....again, all spotless, smart waiters, good humoured (although some can get a tad grumpy when really busy and clearly stressed - but on the whole really nice guys that you can have a laugh with) and all have a tremendous work ethic - just witness their working hours. I cannot say enough about the choice and range and availability of food at all meal times - Menus are varied as much as possible and there are "Theme Nights"...Chinese / Desserts / Cheese / Tapas to mention a few. Restaurants can get bust at key times but if you can wait until c.7.15pm to go to eat the restaurant begins to quieten and clear for reasons which will become clear...."The Galctics"..Dressed up characters, Bufo, Spark and Katty...This is the hour long (every night) dance and song routine with the resident gang of Viva Reps - The kids love it and the reps are full of life and enthusiasm for the kids - really nice to see. Our kids were unsure to start with (age?) but even they became hooked by the middle of the holiday.
Other great stuff: -
Adult and kids games through the day (could have been a bit clearer where to go etc. but partly our fault for not looking very hard) - good fun and variety with Simon and the gang running the events. No pressure to take part but fun when you do....Kids all enjoyed their time too.
Night time Viva Flying team Entertainment - "Grease Lightning" / "Riverdance" / "Beatles" / "Madonna" tribute nights - Very good and professionally delivered - nice background entertainment.
Shop on site (although we didn't need it) if you are not All Inclusive, it's well stocked and fresh stuff inside....on the note of All Inclusive - do consider your expenditure - from what we can see the cost is negligible in comparison with HB or Self Catering - but you can do your own calculations of course - it's great not having to worry about bills and cash by the pool. And what "isn't" All Inc. is barely worth mentioning - it's a huge choice...we'd do it every time.

Right a bit of negative stuff...Room selection is tough. On the front there can be a fair amount of rowdy late night / early morning revellers and the noise travels straight to your room (and I am a heavy sleeper) on the back is probably better overall but bear in mind the Viva entertainment and disco wraps up about 10.30....Overall Back / pool side is best.
Also we had three days of negotiation with the hotel over our room as we'd booked 2 Twin rooms and got a twin and bunks - NOT what the brochure said. REP very good, straight onto it and the hotels story went from "No 2 bed twin rooms" to " there might be one or two twins but we don't know where they are" to "Yes there are twins and you can have one" to "Actually they are virtually all twins with hardly any bunks". This was a complete debacle and we're after compensation from Thomas Cook BUT IT DID NOT SPOIL OUR HOLIDAY! Word to the wise though - confirm your precise requirements with your hoilday firm as to what sort of room you want.
The rooms themselves are spacious but basic - small range of channels on TV, but hardly needed it anyway and when we had any issues with the room (Air Con wouldn't work for example) - they were straight onto it...
So, that's about it I think - probably won't go back to this hotel,but only on the basis that we want to see other resorts. We would though book a Viva hotel again without hesitation and we would thoroughly recommend this hotel despite the one or two niggles. Great for kids and adults alike.

Room Tip: Avoid the front of the hotel unless you sleep really - REALLY - well...Back is better overall and ch...
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family
4  Thank StueygHarpenden
Reviewed 7 June 2012

Like many of us going on holiday I tralwed the internet for ages trying to find somewhere to go on holiday with my partner and our 4yr old son. I initially booked Club Mac (what was I thinking?) due to the fact I got so fed up trying to find a decent place, but re-read all the reviews and cancelled it, and thankfully booked Viva Sunrise, based on Trip Advisor reviews and their impressive website pictures.

After an 1hr 1/2 travelling from the airport on the bus doing several stop offs it was such a relief to arrive outside this hotel - it looked so impressive. On entering reception, staff were helpful and polite. We had requested an upgrade the day before to the Royal Terrace Apartment which they confirmed. All I can say is wow! It really is worth the money. We paid an extra 59euros a day for the priveledge but the extra space you get from the private terrace is amazing. It has a dining table with 4 chairs, 2 sunbeds, comfy seating area and a jacuzzi - which fitted all 3 of us in. You can watch the stage from your terrace, (which was brilliant at night in the jacuzzi sipping wine!) view the pools and my son loved having the extra space to play on, it really is worth doing if your considering it.They were cleaned nearly every day and always changed our towels. We never cooked so can't comment on utensils or anything. The TV had only sky news for us Brits, not that we ever had it on. I took my docking station for some music in the background. The bed was massive so my son ended up sleeping in with us instead of the sofa bed - something we have had to stop since we got back! Plenty of wardbrode space, massive bathroom with 2 sinks and an amazing walk in shower.

All 3 pools are brilliant. My son espcially loved the pirate ship. We always managed to get sunbeds, every day no matter what time there were loads to choose from. This was May though, so not sure about summer months how busy it would be. The entertainment staff do a excellent job of playing with the children, and adults if you wish. They never once shout over load speakers, or did activities near the pools. There is a little room behind the pirate ship, with space infront and a little park. My son went to 3 activities which included t-shirt painting, skittles, and various games, each time for about an hour but they can stay for as long as they run activities if you wish. The only extra thing we paid for was his t-shirt, 6euros. The staff also did some amusing aqua aerobics with everyone which I loved! Like I say, they are not intrusive and expect anyone to join in to things, they quietly walk round and just ask people who are already up and talking if they would like to join in. In the evening they always did mini disco at 8pm, followed at 9pm by whatever show was performing. The ones we went to had a Michael Jackson tribute, a priate show, magic performance and Elvis tribute. They weren't all great to be honest, but my son loved them all and enjoyed watching.
One thng I found was there were hardly any English families there. If there were we never saw them. Before we went I was telling my son how much fun he would have with children he would meet, but he couldn't make friends with anyone as they spoke no English, he could at least dance with them at the disco. The adults of these children were rude though and whenever we smiled and said hello they just grunted or ignored us, charming! On our last day, start of June we did notioce more Enlgish families, and it makes you wonder why you missed them as one child about 10yrs old, was putting his finger up to the entertainment people on stage and shouting rude words - embarrssing, esp when the parents sit there doing nothing.

We went half board - first time ever, and never again. I was not aware that half board meant you could only eat out of the buffett. They had another menu, ala carte, but you had to pay. They also did bbqs every night, being half board you could have it twice in the week. Surely if we have already paid half board then we should be allowed to choose what we want to eat?
For breakfast and dinner, there is loads to choose from. It really is an impressive spread with everything you could possible want - but for some reaon I just didn't like it. The problem for me was when I asked what meat something was I was told beef, it looked like veal, so I got it for my partner, only when I went back there was a sign saying veal. By the time I was back from the buffett my partner had eaten nearly all of it - I had to tell him - but when your against eating something, it really does make you feel ill. The next night we had the bbq, again a wonderful spread of things to choose from, which included kebabs, again I asked what meat it was, none of the chefs or waiters could tell me!! No one knew, one waiter even said 'The chef just cooks it, we bring it out'..... I said to them I thinks its pork and they all went 'No its not pork'.. In the end I left it and had something else. The strange thing is they do not cook the bbq outside, on a BBQ - its all cooked in the kitchen and brought out - that's not a bbq to me.
A warning you can be waiting a long time to be served, you never get the same waiter come to the table, 3 times they got our bill wrong, 1 time they tried to make us pay for the bbq, and another time they forgot part of our food when we ordered at lunch. By the time it came out we had finished eating. There doesn't seem to be a head watier leading everyone. don't get me wrong, they work very hard - they are there all day and night, but all seem to be rushing around not really knowing who has had what/who needs serving etc.
The food itself is okay, but I much prefered eating at other places, and wont be going half board again. Also the drinks are expensive at the hotel, and so are some of the things in the shop on site.

The beach is literally 5 mins down the road and it is fantastic. It was not busy and we paid 9euros to hire 2 sunloungers with umbrellas. There is a small cafe on the beach serving toasties, burgers etc.

Alucida - We went on 2 excursions, the Rancho Grande and Priate Show.
Rancho Grande - We got picked up from our hotel at 4pm and taken to the desternation, which was about 25mins away. On arrival you get sangria and soft drinks, time to walk around the ranch which host a variety of animals, wondering piglets, cockerals etc They also have a large bouncy castle inc inflatable slide. You then choose what rank you are in for horse riding, we were in automatic - the slowest of them all!, and others either went in trot or experienced. If you didn't want to ride at all you get to go round in a horse and trailer drinking sangria on your way. My partner and son went together on Jambo, and I went of Biro. They took us all, about 10 of us, through a lovely walk through the forest - it was glorious. The others all sped off and we all met back at the branch where we had time for a drink, relax before the bbq, free jugs of sangria, then one of the cowboys sang some songs on his guitar - he was fantastic, then we all did a bit of line dancing. It was one of the best nights I'd had in a long time.
Pirate Show - The show is in Magaluf, and it did take a long time to get there due to the pick ups, but once we arrived and saw all the pirates outside the show the fun started. My son was so excited, and luckily not disspoainted. Once inside you sit with whoever is with you in the queue, it can be a bit tight sat together once in, but it did add to the atmosphere. You get a meal (chicken/sausages/chips etc) and as much sangria as you want! The show is fabulous - you must go and see it, you really wont be dissapointed.

Cheers Bar - It is just round the corner of the hotel and is fantastic in the evening for families. They have people dressed up as Sponge Bob, Dora, Upsy Daisy etc and do dancing and games with the children, then adult games after. Its a fun atmosphere and there were lots of English in there so my son had chance to make friends.

Overall i would go back to this hotel, its clean, fun, beautiful pools, plenty to do, and near everything, I would just eat out.

Room Tip: Book the Royale Terrace Apartments
5  Thank AmieB
Reviewed 1 June 2012

booked refurbished room for a great price which was nicer than any 4star i have stayed in and the bathroom had a great shower pool view with comfy chairs. the hotel is very popular with couples with very young children 0-5 and everyone is in bed by 10.30 which is great as there are plenty of bars and resturants around .the beautiful beach is a few minuts walk. and u can get a bus to the port or the old town of alcudia (which is a must) for 1.25 euros. ouside the hotel Cudia blanca.where u can also get a bus to palma., did not eat in hotel. i would recomend this to any age group.

Room Tip: pool view upgraded room
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Patharney
Reviewed 31 May 2012

We booked our holiday in Jan 2012 - we had gone to Viva last year 2011. It is ideal for families with little ones. Our daughter has just gone two - so we are home early each night - so she can get her sleep in comfort. It is very important for us that the hotel has entertainment - outdoors so we can enjoy our evenings on the balcony.

In 2011, when we arrived we were put in a Pool View room - which had the added bonus of being beside the stage. This allowed me and my husband sit out each night. We could enjoy the buzz coming from down below from the kids and families, and also hear the entertainment (unable to see it as there is a big white canvas that stretches out over the stage).

So 2012, we made a request that we could get the same room. We had highlighted our requirements for a Stage view. This would allow us enjoy the outdoor entertainment from our balcony - while our little one slept.

They did advise in the email that it MAY be dependent on availability and may include an extra cost.

When we arrived to the hotel in May 2012, we were advised we had a fantastic room with a great view over the stage - the receptionship checking us in made every effort, to sell it to us... you have a birdseye view, right outside your balcony, and you are straight in front of it. We were sold - entertainment from our balcony is required when you return home early! There is only so much Sky News you can watch *the only english channel available*.

Our first night we were surprised to see that no entertainment outdoors 2nd night same thing... 3rd night - nothing. The weather was 25 - 30 degrees when we were there.. in fairness on our last two nights it was dull. At this stage we asked the Receptionship.. and they advised us that it would be outdoors in the next day or so. We were happy to hold onto our balcony.

Rather than bore the readers - we visited reception near daily at this stage.... wondering what was going on with outdoor entertainment. It was then said to us - that outdoor entertainment was dependent on the weather. Unfortunately this was not mentioned when they advised us it was 154.00 extra costs for our balcony and cot.

I asked to speak to the manager, but he/she was at lunch, busy or not available. It was 2 days before we left when we noticed a man - wiring up speakers, and sound checks on the outdoor stage. It appears the entertainment outdoors was no dependent on the weather - but it was still not set up.

I spoke to the manager 2 days before we left (on the phone!) - the only line the manager would say was that he could not predict the weather. I assured him that I knew he was no weatherman - but on my arrival - there was no plan for outdoor entertainment and only the day before the wiring/sound was done. I would be of the opinion that charging us extra for our room, when they obviously knew there was no outdoor entertainment. If they had of clarified this at the outset, we would not have paid extra. Just to point out we had entertainment on our last two nights (11 day stay). These were the coldest days of the holiday. So the arguement about the weather was a very poor one.

My only recommendation to the hotel is be open and honest from the outset - if the entertainment is indoors, tell the client.... and to visitors looking for similar requirements ask before you agree to pay.

Would we return most likely - but we will ensure that if we are paying extra for something that the hotel is upfront that the service is currently available.

The hotel did offer to allow us stay in the room until 5 on our departing day (saving us 26.00). It was an expensive lesson to learn.

Room Tip: If you would like to see the Stage - you need to be in the lower levels of the hotel.. You only see...
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled with family
Viva h, Hotel Manager at Viva Sunrise, responded to this reviewResponded 12 June 2012

Dear client,

Thank you very much for your review of your stay in Viva Sunrise. We are glad that you have enjoyed your holidays here with us and feel sorry for the incident you had during your stay. Unfortunately, in the beginning of May the temperature was not so good to have the shows outside and always thinking the best for our guests, we decide not to go outside until the 17/06, when we realize that the temperatures were starting to go higher. The Room that you paid for is a Pool view room, with an extra price of 10€ per day for the pool view.

we really beg your pardon if we could not explain you in the right way the situation.

And once again, Thank you very much for have enjoyed your holidays in Viva Sunrise and we hope we will see you again in Viva Hotels.

Reviewed 27 May 2012

We booked this hotel for our Honeymoon with our 3 year old daughter. The hotel is amazing it's clean and really set up well.

We booked a new reburshished room which was beautiful and clean. The kitchen was set up with everything, microwave, kettle toaster etc. Bathroom was really spaciuos with 2 his and hers washbasins and a really nice powerful shower wet room.

The maids service was really good, our little girl unfortunately wet the bed one night and we told the maid and she changed all the sheets for us.

We went self catering however we did eat one night at the A La Carte restuarant and the food and drink and service was really good, only downfall is the drinks are expensive.

The childrens entertainment team were amazing entertained our little girl lots with painting Tshirts going on treasure hunts and playing with her in the play area. The childrens disco was brilliant and we couldnt miss BUFO every night!

The only thing that stops this getting 5 stars was when we checked out of the hotel they tried to charge us 100 Euros. We was upset because we was not told what this was for at check in, when we disputed this it was because they had given us a pool view however when we tried to talk to the front desk the Customer Service changed dramatically and they come across rude especially Monika. I asked for a manager or for a director as this was really unfair in the end this was resolved by front desk staff however the manager did not come to speak to us. This was a real shame as we had such a lovely stay and really this situation could of been handled alot better. So please check if any upgrades are extra when checking in!

The resort itself is great very friendly and lots of resturants offering kids eat free. The beach is brilliant and so good for children. I would recomend going to the market this was a lovely day out.

2  Thank TeamJarvis
Also consider these accommodations in or near Port d'Alcudia
Zafiro Tropic
Hotel Astoria Playa Only Adults
Hotel Astoria Playa Only Adults
#1 of 50 in Port d'Alcudia
Sol Alcudia Center by Melia Apartamentos

Been to Viva Sunrise? Share your experiences!