“Grat place for families”
Review of Zafiro Tropic

Zafiro Tropic
Ranked #13 of 48 Hotels in Port d'Alcudia
Halls Head Western Australia
“Grat place for families”
Reviewed 14 June 2013

Staying with grandchildren and my daughter and partner.The room was very good,cleaning efficient and the faclilities including pools were great for kids as were the activities.location to get around town great. The down factor is it is noisy with kids,entertainment full on.
A quiet getaway no but a great fun place for kids and families yes. Grandparents in recovery mode

Room Tip: Away from the pool area is quieter
2 Thank b00ntie

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (164)
  • Czech first
  • Hungarian first
Nottingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 June 2013

Having previously stayed at Viva Menorca which we enjoyed thoroughly, we felt that it was going to be a safe bet stopping at the Viva Tropic, which seemed to have the best feedback of the several Majorca Viva's.

We were wrong.

Whilst the main selling point is the "Pirate ship pool" for the children, it was much smaller than the Menorcan one, and the water was cold as ice.

Seriously it was so cold it was almost empty and obviously not heated. The poolside array of sun loungers was very limited. I'd say there about 18 sun loungers and they were all occupied and if your child wanted to brave the cold, then you had to stand as an onlooker, not a hotel guest enjoying their break.

Next to this area was a plastic climbing frame and bouncy castle. Again, this is another appealing thing in the brochure / photos, but the reality is that it's shabby - and they climbing frame slides were plastic / acrylic and the static shocks the children and parents alike kept getting reduced some toddlers to absolute tears to the point nobody except the newcomers used the thing.

Worst of all, there is a seriously bad MOSQUITO problem with this hotel.

Inside our room the walls were absolutely and utterly covered in small blood splats from the mosquito's squashed by previous guests.

We had a garden room and we had two ferrel cats urinating in the shrubs there. Also in the foilage were hundreds of dormant Mosquito's all ready for dusk to jump all over you.

My two boys had eleven bites between them after 48 hours. The bite lumps were massive and it made of their necks / hands.

Several times on the first night, the BUZZ in my ear woke me from a deep sleep, and i had to turn on all the lights and hunt it with a rolled-up magazine. I am not exaggerating when i killed two in our bedroom, one in our living and then the fourth in our bathroom at around 5am as I went to the toilet.

The utensils were all broken in the kitchen draw. The frying pan had food stuck to it - and all the numbers on the cooker dials had all faded and rubbed off and i didn't know if the electric ring was on 1 or 6 when making breakfast.

Finally, and was the icing on the cake - we had a family arrive on day 2 above us, and the noise was incredible. It was not their fault at all - but i could hear her stilleto's on the floor tiles. I could hear their toilet flush and even their conversations on a night time to some extent. Their food cupboard closing and even their pots on their cooker.

It was the last straw and thus I moved out into another hotel (just like the reviewer before me actually!!)

The only saving grace was the staff, the receptionist especially were a really helpful bunch indeed. The animation team were a bit naff and very 'scandinavian' - not many smiles at all, almost hostile.

Viva Menorca i stayed for 2 weeks and thought it was great. Viva Tropic I lasted 4 days and hated every minute.

AVOID and go to Cala Millor / Sa Coma area instead, as Alcudia was unfortunately a Burger King-style dump too.

Room Tip: Avoid the garden rooms at all costs unless you have a lot of mosquito repellant. Also the jacuzzi ro...
1 Thank V44
Viva h, Gerente at Zafiro Tropic, responded to this review, 12 June 2013
First of all we would like to thank you for taking the time to send us your comments and queries. It is very important to us as it improves the service level of our hotel. Now let me apologize that you were not given the holiday you expected. Our aim here in Viva is to ensure that your holiday is an extremely happy one.
We pride ourselves in having many returning, satisfied customers. When we do have a complaint we treat all correspondence seriously.
The main problem that you comment about the mosquitos is the changing weather. Now everything is perfect,very good weather and no rain and there are no mosquitos

About the comment of the utensils it was a shame that you didn’t tell us anything, because as soon as we know we can notify to the head-cleaner to check it and to solve that. I have informed to all the responsible of the different departments of all that your comments.
I’ll hope next time you can come at the reception and ask for me to solve any problem that you have because we want that our guests enjoy their holidays.
I hope that we have the opportunity to welcome you again to Hotels Viva.
Brentwood, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 June 2013

Booked in for 6 nights from 25th May. The hotel has very nice clean and modern public areas. I had booked a two bed apartment which was in bloc 2. The room was dark and dingy and a nasty smell emitted from somewhere. I asked to be moved to a more pleasant room, but they were not particularly helpful. The cleaner came and tried to sort the smell, but left us with a fresh air spray, which I found laughable. At the back of the block there is a very stagnant looking pond with ducks.. Which may have been the problem. Also the kids area was smelly. I could not understand why the quiet adult area was put next to the kids splash and play area.

The staff are pleasant though. We all hated the smell and there was a lot of feral cats about. This needs to be sorted out. We all decided to move on somewhere else and checked out on the 27th May and booked into the Sentido Pula Suites Golf and Spa Hotel. Which was lovely.

I was not pleased with the Viva Tropic and would not return. The accommodation which we had definitely was not 4*.

2 Thank Andrea P
wexford
Reviewed 31 May 2013

Our family of four including two boys aged 2 and a half and five years stayed here for one week the first week of May. For the last three years we have stayed at Viva Sunrise. Decided to book Tropic for a change. It was well worth the extra money paid. The indoor pool was heated and was used if the weather was a little over cast. The playground is much better equipped than the tropic hotel. There is a lovely adult pool area with sun loungers which we would take turns using. The food was excellent and a much better quality than a lot of the restaurants in the area. The staff were lovely and seemed much friendlier than it sister hotel sunrise. We found problems in the bar of sunrise where the bar staff were very slow to serve the all inclusive guests, even ignoring us which was very annoying considering the amount paid for the all inc package. No such problems with Tropic where all the staff were very attentive and friendly. We took the standard room which was spotless clean, we were going to upgrade to pool or garden room but in the end did not bother as we felt we would not have got the use of it. The bed was very comfy with soft pillows unlike the sunrise where the bed and pillows were quite hard. The Kids entertainers were excellent and my two boys loved the disco every night. The only tiny downside was both myself and my husband got quite a few mossie bites but then this has nothing to do with the hotel but more the area of Alcudia, Would def stay here again.

2 Thank baileyWexford
Ayr, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 May 2013

Stayed for 3 nights with my family (2 daughters 4&6). The hotel has a good location just 5 mins walk from the beach, a very nice foyer and the welcome was sincere. We upgraded to the pool view rooms (10 Euro per day I think) which was a bonus as we got the late afternoon/evening sun and since the weather had been partly cloudy this was welcomed!

The room was clean and tidy and other than a few loose laminate floorboards, nicely furnished. The majority of guests were all inclusive but we were room only and had a room with kitchenette which i guess is available throughout. A very nice bathroom but with a few hairs from other people still lurking!

The swimming pools were a real bonus as they are 4 to choose from. That said we spent 90% of our time at the splash pool which was great for the kids. I thought the adults only pool looked great but we did not get a chance to use it! There was also an indoor pool at the spa so there really is plenty of choice. My only reservation was that the water was freezing so it was really not as inviting as i'd imagined but that's a criticism of the weather and not the hotel. The main pool had occasional lifeguard cover and the splash pool had a seat for this too

I'd hoped for more from the kids club as it lacked a definitive structure. There was a timetable of the day's events and the staff worked hard but perhaps a combination of small numbers and early season feel meant that the girls occasionally got bored and wondered out of the club. I'd hoped that we could ditch them and go off but I didn't feel confident of that so we stayed close in case they left. I'm sure with larger numbers the kids would have felt more entertained and stayed longer but don't count on a 'drop and go' scenario. That said, the girls loved the evening pirate discos etc so i can't overly criticise the entertainment.

We only ate a couple of things at the hotel with mixed results. The poolside bar served the usual burgers etc and we had 1 uninspiring meal there. We also ate inside by the bar on our first evening and i had a very nice cuttlefish Mallorcan style dish. I can't comment on the all inclusive buffets.

All things considered, this hotel was very good and catered well for families.

Room Tip: Pool view in block 1 gets the most sunshine.
2 Thank MidtonHardy
Rotherham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 May 2013

Really enjoyed my recent stay in the Viva Tropic. The staff from those on reception to the waiters at the bar and the cleaners were all friendly and helpful.
When we checked in we were given and took the opportunity to upgrade to a pool view room for an extra 10 euros per night. The original room we were offered overlooked the street at the front of the hotel so we didn't mind paying the extra.
The room itself although a little small for 3 adults had everything required. The bed was the best I have ever slept in whilst abroad and rather than being the usual twin beds was at least a large king size. The shower was a really good walk in size with a monsoon shower head and there was always plenty of hot water. The kitchen though small was well equipped and even had washing up liquid. I think due to the size there wasn't a plug socket as part of the kitchen unit so we had to use the kettle and toaster on the table but not a big issue. The balcony was a good size. We didn't have the best weather for our stay - it rained most mornings but still managed to try out the chill out pool which was lovely though a little noisy from the children's pirate ship pool situated next door. The indoor pool looked lovely, again we didn't try this as there were a lot of children in there , due to the poor weather on the day we looked in. The gym was well equipped.
The Viva flying team provide entertainment shows for one hour per night from 9 pm, these were good fun but would be better as a longer show, 10 pm is a bit early to finish though this may be different later in the season.
We only had one meal in the hotel as we were self catering, (see my review for Brunel's bar for meals) but what we had came from the outside bar and was very nice.
All in all I would return and may have one of the rooms with a private jacuzzi next time.

2 Thank feefee2007
Nuneaton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 May 2013

This hotel was perfect, we decided to join my daughters family on holiday and she booked us into the hotel as they were booked there, we were absolutely impressed and couldn't find anything but good things to say about it, the receptionists were helpful, food delicious and rooms clean and very comfy and well designed including some self catering facilities and a fridge, which is unusual to find in a hotel of this high standard, we would definitely return again and have to say we were very impressed, and it was better than we could have ever expected.

Breakfast selection was bigger than anything we have ever set eyes on, and the lunchtime food was lovely, they had a few pools, and children's play areas which my granddaughter loved!

I would be surprised if any hotel in the area could out do this one, I wonder if people who visit the others ever go to different hotels - we walked past a few of the higher rated ones, and wished we could have seen the rooms to compare, ours looked like it had just been decorated, and had fantastic black outs and a lovely balcony, we looked onto the street, which I much prefer than a pool view, I like to watch the comings and goings, and felt quite at home after a few mornings.

Room Tip: they are all great, our daughter had a royal apartment that had a massive balcony!
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Port d'Alcudia
Zafiro Palace Alcudia
#18 of 48 in Port d'Alcudia
Seaclub Mediterranean Resort
Seaclub Mediterranean Resort
#11 of 48 in Port d'Alcudia

Been to Zafiro Tropic? Share your experiences!