“Lovely Hotel, Fab time”

Ranked #13 of 48 Hotels in Port d'Alcudia
Ayrshire, Scotland
“Lovely Hotel, Fab time”
Reviewed 18 September 2008

I would advise anyone going to Alcudia to stay at this hotel. Firstly it is very clean and well maintained hotel. Rooms had everything you need, and the maids came 5 days a week, and changed the towels every day, and the bed linen twice in our 10 day stay.The childrens entertainers were brilliant. from 10am every hour, they had something ditterent for them to do. Mini golf, table tennis, games in the park, face painting etc. The evening entertainment was also to a high standard. Everyone works very hard to create a friendly atmosphere. Can't comment on the food as we were self catering, but less than a 2min walk, took us to a good british restaurant called Sgt Peppers. Good food and very reasonably priced. Its also only a 3min walk to the beach, which is lovely, and very clean. It had great pool areas, an over 18's pool,a great kids pool with a pirate ship and lots of slides. The main pool was also very good, with plenty of sunbeds. This was our first time in Alcudia but won't be our last. We would not hesitate to stay at this hotel again, as it was great.

• Liked — cleanliness
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed September 2008, travelled with family
2 Thank Holidaymaker082

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (164)
  • Czech first
  • Hungarian first
sunderland
Reviewed 27 August 2008

Have to say what an amazing holiday at an amazing hotel.
I wanted a good hotel that was suitable for my 4 year old little boy, my partner and my self. We did not get a good hotel and holiday but a great one. This hotel was rated as 3* however i would say this is more 4*. The hotel had so many things to do for my little boy, there is mini crazy golf, a football pitch, trampoline, bouncy castle, mini park and an amazing pool area that was more like a small water park with a huge pirate ship with many slides, no need to pay to go to a water park with this on sight, wow. For myself and partner the bar and entertainment were great with good food, however the a la carte menu is very limited and thought would have been better, the buffet breakfasts were good though.Staff are so helpful and friendly always smiling. The hotel was exeptionally clean and rooms cleaned 5 times a week. The only thing i can think that makes this a 3* is the rooms are dated however big, but saying that 2009 the hotel is being revampt, the show room available to view is fab therefore i am confident this will get it's 4* rating it well deserves. One thing i will say please take a hair dryer, even travel lodges have them these days but not this hotel. Great location only 5 mins walk to the beach and shops, restaurants and the harbour, fantastic.
I know i have said this many times but this was just AMAZING. we will definately be going back again and agian.

• Liked — Sacious rooms, ideal location, great activities
  • Disliked — a la carte menu
1 Thank Jacnich
Salford
Reviewed 19 August 2008

Viva Tropic-Alcudia
Before I start to review this particular Hotel I think that everyone should know how BMI Baby can offer low cost flights. We were a party of 4 with an overall 80 kilo allowance and flying home had 79 kilos overall, but we were charged 120 euros for being 12 kilos over, How is this you may ask, well BMI baby state that it is 20 kilos/person which is norm but what isn’t clear is that it is per case as well. Over three cases we were 12 kilos over, 25, 24, 23 respectively and 7 kilos for the bag. No case should be over 20 kilos.
Anyway back to the hotel:- It is what everyone else says it’s the best hotel I have ever stopped at for kids. They have 5 pools, 1 is dedicated to adults only, with 1 dedicated to kids that has a pirates ship built into it with waterslides etc. My kids loved it and gave my young daughter the confidence she needed to start swimming. Rooms were spotless with regular maid service. The shows were mostly of a high standard with visiting acts, the best was the Irish dancers that replicated Michael Flatterly’s show.
We never ate at the hotel as we were SC. Places to miss were Dakotas and Italian restaurant opposite which is on the beach, do not eat the Paella it’s disgusting. Best meals can be found in the old town, they were superb and were typical Spanish dishes. Other good places were La Taverna, excellent tapas, Gli angeli-good steak and Taberna Donasti really good mixed tapas. Lots of places to see and is ideal for families. There are 2 parts to Alcudia one is the Blackpoolish area and the other, by the port, is quieter but with lots to do. Best Chinese meal was Casa el Dragon which is in the livelier area right on the corner opposite the KFC at the start of the strip. It only cost 8 euros/adult and 5 for kids. By far the best buffet style meal I have ever had food is of high quality.
Places to see is the market in the old town and in Inca which has to be the biggest market I have ever been to, good bargains to have. Driving is easy we hired a car through the internet, Europa Gold, good quality car but they stung me for the fuel, £70 and I had to bring it back empty!!
I found the area to be cheap for booze especially if you brought if from Mercadona, which is the islands typical supermarket, 24 cans of 330ml San Miguel for 5.8 euros, 59cents for 1 ltr of wine, not bad either. 3.5 Euros for Cava. Avoid most of the spars they can be expensive.
Beaches are by far the best for kids and is literally 4-5 mins walk away, but can be bit ‘wiffy’ which is typical but not offensive, No stones or sharp rocks it also has a nice breeze to it as well. Reception staff are mostly friendly except the one with blonde hair, she always had a miserable face.
Overall the best place I have visited, hotel is well positioned with lots of entertainment, however when you leave the kids at the ‘kids club’ be aware that when they do external stuff they do not have a clue who leaves them or are concerned that when you collect them they have already left on their own.
Would we go back? Absolutley

• Liked — Pirates Pool for the kids and some of the entertainment
1 Thank BrummySalford
Prague, Czech Republic
Reviewed 13 August 2008

Just returned from V Tropic with my husband and 16 and 18 yr old boys. Hotel is v clean. Lots going on for kids, teens and adults. New over 18 chill out area is heaven! Rooms spacious but usual limited kitchen area. Only ate food from poolside snack bar which was reasonable and v good. Lots of v nice restaurants and bars nearby. Port is lovely in the day and evening. Port end of Aldudia beach is full of v smelly seeweed further up OK but put me off! 15 mins walk to right of hotel is sunny Blackpool which suited my sons as there a lot more bars and a few clubs and discos. Alcudia old town 5 mins drive away is beautiful - full of market stalls in the day but late afternoon or early evening the cobbled streets are clear and shining and the locals come out - special feeling about this place. Palma is beautiful - went on an open topped bus tour - hop on and off wherever you want for 13 Euros for the day. Had a hire car most of the time but booked the Soller boat/train trip - epxensive but worth every penny - magnificent scenery.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Some of the reception staff
Limerick
Reviewed 22 July 2008

We arrived at the Viva Tropic at 3am, after travelling from 2pm the previous day from Ireland ( Delayed flight and seemingly endless airport transfer, Falcon holidaymakers beware! ).

The only member of staff on duty was the night porter, however our room keys were waiting and we were directed to the first floor of the main building. The apartment was facing the pool area and we were perplexed when we opened the balcony door that we couldn't see the pool.

After some much needed sleep in very comfortable beds, we discovered the apartment was overhead the restaurant roof, which was the reason we couldn't see the pool. Instead of an ugly asphalt roof, there was a garden area with astro turf grass and raised beds, a tree sculpture and at night the area was lit by mood lighting. Very nice.

We were in apt 1135 and it was spotlessly clean. The apts in the main building are due to be refurbished this winter, as the decor needs updating in order for the hotel to receive 4 star status. Do not let this put you off though, because the furniture is like new, the beds have Tempure memory foam matresses and the size of the apt is perfect for four people, as most of the time we were out.

Plenty of good quality towels (large and small ), toilet rolls, shower gel and tea towels are provided and are changed daily if placed in the bath. The bed linen is changed twice weekly and the room is cleaned daily.

The snack bar by the pool is very reasonable for lunch and the public areas are also very clean.

The main pool is divided into two pools by a waterfall ledge. The lower pool is perfect for children under the age 12 and the higher pool for older kids. This pool design is great because even though you have a view of the whole pool, the older ones feel they have a little freedom and the younger kids can gain confidence in the water.

For adults without kids, there is a fantastic 'chill out' pool, with inbuilt jacuzzis and plenty of four poster double bed loungers. For families with very young children there is yet another pool, which has a seperate adventure play area, sun loungers around the pool and is safe for ages 1 - 4 years.

The staff are very helpful and will do everything they can from bringing you extra pillows to giving information on transport etc.
The staff at the kids clubs are excellent and I'd love to have their energy! They are all multi lingual and include all eligible children in activities. My kids (15 & 12) had a ball and mixed with german, scandanavian, french, english and irish kids at the clubs. They are all well supervised and looked after. The younger kids also seemed to have a great time.

There are two pool tables, table tennis and crazy golf available to all. Only one arcade game in the lobby and five computer stations in a small room just off the lobby.

The nearest cashpoint (ATM) is opposite the Condes hotel on your way to the beach.

Do shop at the Eroski, as I was advised, it is the cheapest and quite nearby. Go through the little park near the pool and turn right and walk straight down, you can see the Eroski sign ahead of you. The staff in there are very nice. If you use mugs for coffee or tea, bring your own, also if you drink Nescafe, bring your own as expected, it is expensive.

Where to eat:
The best cooked breakfast is at the Brunel Inn, where John and Em give a great welcome. They also cook sunday roasts etc.

Two doors down from there is a lovely spanish restaurant, great Paella!

Beyond the Condes hotel towards the beach is a brilliant steakhouse, with amazing skewered kebabs and lamb fillet.

Near the Marina, on the beach is a nice italian restaurant, the Calzone is excellent.

There are many more restaurants to try out. There are only two nightclubs in the resort and everything tends to close down by midnight, even the balcony lights are switched off! For families with young kids, this is very good, though I would have preferred to be able to choose when I wanted to turn off my balcony light. There is entertainment in most of the hotels, so check in the lobby areas during the day or on the boards outside. The entertainment in the Viva Tropic is good and there's plenty of seating.

The beach is very clean, plenty of room for people and plenty of beach cafes (the viva Golf on the beach has the same menu and prices as the viva tropic snack bar ), so you can leave your towels, have lunch and then return to them.

Two sun loungers and a fixed parasol costs 9 euro for the day, very reasonable and the rental guy checks the tickets regularly, so no one takes your loungers when you leave your towels in place.
Although the water can smell a little stagnant, due to the lack of tide, it is clean and shallow for a long way out.

A trip to the old town is well worthwhile, it is beautiful, with sandstone streets and buildings. We went up on market day, had a fun time haggling for leather goods and then had a leisurely lunch. The market closes at 2pm and the streets are cleared, swept and washed very quickly, leaving you to enjoy a nice stroll around. If you walk down from the old town, there is a lovely little old church on the left worth a look. we didnt go up there at night, but we will when we go back as it has a lot of restaurants and bars. Taxis and buses are frequent from the area beside the church, so no need to book or search for one.

Market days are Tuesday and Sunday 8am - 2pm. The taxis have a set tariff and the driver can tell you the price of the journey before you get in.

In future, we will book the Viva Tropic direct, as it is cheaper and taxi transfer would be much faster than by tour operator coach ( 40 minutes, rather than 2 hours by coach ).

We had a wonderful time at the Viva Tropic and in Alcudia and we would definately go back. I would highly recommend this hotel. Kids love it, adults love it and my mother, who has mobility difficulties, found it easily accessible and had a fabulous holiday.

• Liked — Good location, Spotlessly clean and the astro turf garden!
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed July 2008, travelled with family
2 Thank James-10
co.cork
Reviewed 26 June 2008

my husband and myself have just returned from the viva tropic--our 5th time in 8 yrs and it is better than ever. we stayed in a studio which was bright and very clean as always(cleaners always do a 1st class job-5 days a week) . the reception area,bar area and restraunt have had a huge makeover since last year and very tastefully done-always spotless.Outside there are new sunbeds and plenty of them -around the main pool -also a new paddleing pool area for small children with a pirate ship and other amusments--ALSO THIS YEAR there is a court area where you can play tennis/basketball or soccer,perfect for the older kids. ALSO we found an extra pool--for over 18s..in it were three jacuzi areas..the pool was surrounded by double bed sized sun beds-they were more like 4 poster beds...We decided to eat in the resturaunt for three days and we found the food exellent--it is largely geared towards the germans tastebuds but you have to get over it ,it's not that bad(and i'm fussy) The staff in the viva tropic are second to non-always very polite and very helpful--only the head barman let them down by being stroppy if you went up to the bar to get drink instead of being served at a table-the other bar staff would make faces at him for you behind his back.. people moan about the germans but I found no problems with them.they have their ways and we have ours. we normally stay in 4 star hotels else where but I would not swap the viva tropic..
there is olso a laundry room on the third floor-2 wash mach+ 1 dryer..all free just bring your own wash powder and conditioner-the wash lasts for about an hour-if your not there to collect you may find it on the top of the machine with other peoples washing.
there is a supermarket off the reception which has most things-though a bit over priced on a lot of things..
Hope this review is helpful..I'm sure you will enjoy your stay..

• Liked — everything
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed June 2008, travelled as a couple
5 Thank brenella
Liverpool
Reviewed 21 June 2008

I have recently returned from a two week stay at the Viva Tropic and can not speak highly enough of this hotel. As a wheelchair user, this hotel was very accessible for me. I don't think there was any part of this hotel that I couldn't get access to. Our room was big enough for me to be able to easily move around and the bathroom was complete with wheel-in shower was again easily accessible.
I found the staff, particularly the reception and the dining room staff very helpful and friendly. The room was cleaned everyday bar Thursdays and Sundays, bedding was changed and fresh towels were left (though you have to leave the used towels on the floor, if you put them back on the rails, the maids don't change them).
I enjoyed all of the food that was on offer in the buffet restaurant in particular the chicken curry and spicy lamb kebabs. There was always something on offer that I liked, same with the breakfast buffet.
The main swimming pool was always busy, but we always managed to get beds by the poolside. My favourite part of the hotel was the over 18's relax area. This was a pool and sunbeds (beds with mattresses, not the normal loungers) that was for adults only. It was never as busy as the main pool. It was a lovely area just to go and chill. The only complaint was that both of the pools were quite cold,.
This hotel is definitely very family friendly, the have all manner of activities on for small children upto teenagers. This seemed quite popular. Every night there was entertainment on, usually shows based on West End musicals, i.e Mama Mia, We Will Rock You etc. Only saw one of the shows as we went out most nights, but from what we saw, it was decent. There were always plenty of people watching.
The hotel is a situated only a couple of hundred metres away from the beach, shops and restaurants. The main area of English/Irish bars is about a 15 minute walk away from this hotel.
I would recommend this hotel for anyone travelling with children of any age and for any disabled travellers.

• Liked — The facilities for the disabled
  • Disliked — The coldness of both pools
  • Stayed June 2006, travelled with family
3 Thank Goodisongirl
Also consider these accommodations in or near Port d'Alcudia
Zafiro Palace Alcudia
#18 of 48 in Port d'Alcudia
Seaclub Mediterranean Resort
Seaclub Mediterranean Resort
#11 of 48 in Port d'Alcudia

Been to Zafiro Tropic? Share your experiences!