“Great hotel, excellent staff”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Viva Tropic & Spa

Viva Tropic & Spa
Ranked #13 of 48 Hotels in Port d'Alcudia
Utrecht, The Netherlands
“Great hotel, excellent staff”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 May 2014

This hotel is great, the staff is nice. When we were there it was quiet. That is good for the buffet. We did not have all inclusive, but the formula looked good. Our booked room was not ready yet, so we got a bigger one and a free dinner. No problem with that. We had a garden appartment with 2 bedrooms. The bedrooms are very small, too small to put a babybed in there. The pool was cold (beginning of May), the 18+ pool was nice warm. But with the baby you are not allowed in the 18+ pool. So no swimming for her.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
4 Thank Reynoldino

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (158)
  • Czech first
  • Hungarian first
Wrexham
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 May 2014

We stayed at the Viva tropic over the Easter break with 2 young children. On arrival we were offered various upgrades - pool view, garden terrace etc but we decided not to take them up on this. I was somewhat disappointed with the view from the room we were allocated which was overlooking overgrown grass/waste land but as we don't spend a lot of time in our room, I wasn't too bothered. We had one issue with our shower but after speaking with the maid it was fixed by the time we returned after lunch. Our room was a good size, there was plenty of storage space, it had a good variety of toiletries (the sewing kit came in useful!) and was clean. The rooms are not cleaned on a Sunday or Wednesday.

The food was amazing, with lots of choice during the breakfast and dinner buffet. I consider myself a fussy eater but I managed to have something different at every sitting. Drinks have to be ordered with the waiter but they are branded drinks. Due to it being the start of the season, you have to go to the poolside bar for lunch. Their portion sizes are huge, especially the children's menu. You could also get slushie's, ice creams, cakes and fruit when all inclusive.

The pirate splash pool was a huge hit with our eldest child (5) but it was so cold our 2 year old was dithering after 10 minutes. He therefore preferred to play in the shaded playground. Hardly anyone used the other pools (due to the temp) which is a shame. We did use the indoor pool/Jacuzzi area a few times which is much warmer but unless your child can swim, they'll need to wear arm bands or be held as the depth doesn't graduate. My husband also used the spa, which you can book at reception.

We didn't use the children's club during the day, initially as we weren't entirely sure where to meet. They seem to be renovating a part of the hotel (near the pirate pool) so the kids Bufo club room was being used as a workshop. There was some noise but it wasn't too intrusive. There were some exercise classes to join in during the day which were done in the garden area.The evening entertainment was ok. The children's disco and games started at 8 and usually finished after half an hour. The 'adult' entertainment started at 9 and was usually finished by 10/10.30 depending on what was on. The magican and Elvis tribute nights were very good.

The location of the hotel is fab, 5 minutes walk to the gorgeous beach. Again the sea was freezing cold but it was nice for a paddle as its shallow until quite far in. There's also a company called No Frills excursions on the next street which we can recommend as we didn't have a rep at the hotel. Nearby you can also jump on the hobby train for a 40 minute trip through Alcudia or walk 15 minutes to Old Alcudia for market day.

All in all I would recommend this hotel, the staff were lovely with the children, the food was fantastic but it was quiet on the entertainment front (perhaps due to it only being the start of the season). Have fun if you choose to book!

3 Thank Tish064
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 May 2014 via mobile

Stayed at viva tropic with my partner and six year old son, who loved the pirate ship!! Room was clean and catered for just what you need, we were in a premium one bed apartment with a pool view food was excellent for all inclusive would visit again

Stayed April 2014
2 Thank Jayneylew
Essex, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 May 2014

Just got back from Viva Tropic after staying there for 4 days with my husband and 2 boys aged 2 and 9. On arrival to the hotel we was greeted by a very friendly receptionist who told us we could upgrade to the Royal Terrace room on the 1st floor of the main building. We was delighted because that was what I wanted originally but there was no option for them rooms when I booked the holiday.

The room itself was ok not very big it had a kitchenette, lounge with tv and sofa bed, shower room and bedroom with a double bed. The balcony was beautiful and big with a jacuzzi, hammock, loungers, and tables and chairs. Rooms were cleaned everyday while we was there although it said there will no room cleaning on Wednesdays and Sundays but they still cleaned our room on the Wednesday.

My sons loved the children's pool with the pirate ship and other equipment but the water was very cold due to the time of year and there wasn't anyone swimming in the pools but the indoor pool was very nice.

We went all inclusive, the food in the restaurant was buffet style with a wide selection of food but at lunch time we ate outside next to the pool ordering from a A la Carte menu.
The restaurant staff was very friendly and helpful, on one night my 2 year old was asleep in the buggy while we ate our dinner and I asked one of the staff if it was ok for me to take some food back to the room for my son when he wakes up. He didn't hesitate and told me to see him after I finish and he gave me a tray to take food to my room.

It was my birthday on the Tuesday and I was surprised by a bottle of champagne on my return to the room which I thought was very nice and thoughtful!

I will definitely return to Viva Tropic again!!! Keep up the good work!!!!

3 Thank Mayb33
West Kilbride, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 April 2014

We stayed at the Viva Tropic in the week running up to Easter. We stayed in a top floor one bedroom apartment with a Royal Terrace with our two daughters aged 12 and 16. The accommodation was great, not massively roomy but fine for our needs. The terrace facilities, loungers, dining table, easy chairs and a jacuzzi were great and the top floor terrace is a real sun trap. The staff were excellent from the reception, shop, dining and cleaners - always polite and did a great job. We only had a couple of snack lunches at the pool bar, which were fine, but I can't comment further on the quality of the food.

I hired a bike from another bike shop, although bike hire of some pretty decent bikes is available from the hotel (look on their website for more details). The storgae facilities were excellent, a locked room, locks on the bike hooks and video surveillance. There were also bike mechanics on site - I didn't need to use them but they seemed to be helpful to others.

There was also lots of family entertainment. We're not really into that sort of thing, but it's there if you want it and, certainly in April, was obtrusive if you didn't want to participate.

2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 April 2014 via mobile

The hotel overall was ok we were happy with the room and general cleanliness. The adult pool was very popular with our party. We were self catering and found the prices to be a bit steep at the bar and it was shut at 23:00 on the dot.
Safety deposit boxes were chargeable so we took our bulky valuables with us. Joanne left her purse hidden in a bag out of sight only to find Spider-Man had been in our room and stolen it. We reported it to the desk and they said it was our fault for not taking out a room safe.but the only people to access our room on the third floor was ourselves and the cleaner.so thanks to there incompetence or light fingers we lost a half day filling in police reports and going to the police station ect, never mind the spending money and cards. When we did see the manager he did not even apologise for our inconvenience. He was worse than useless. If money is no object I doubt you will go here any way but if your on a shoestring like us I could not recommend this hotel.

Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Robroy27
South Shields
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 April 2014

Just returned from a week in the Viva Tropic. We booked as a last minute decision, and joined friends who were already there.
First impression of the Hotel was good, with a clean entrance and reception area. We were very quickly booked in by friendly staff. Our room was on the first floor facing the garden, so it got the best of the sunshine. The room itself was basic but clean.
We stayed on a self catering basis, and my advice would be to avoid the hotel shop. Lidl is only a short walk and will supply everything you need at half the price. We did have lunch at the hotel a couple of times around the pool bar. The food was quite good, and not too expensive.
The main pool area seemed well kept and there were certainly plenty of sun beds. But I would imagine its would be very busy in the high season. We used the adult pool, which is intended to give those of us travelling without children a bit peace and quiet. However it is situated right next to the children's pool area and tennis court, so you do tend to get the noise from both. But the adult pool itself is very clean although the pool was very cold.
It spent 4 days cycling and hired my bike from the hotel. They cater for all levels of cyclists and the bikes are of a very high standard. There is even secure storage should you take your own bike.
Ideally situated for cycling into the mountains, coastal or inland rides.
Alcudia at this time of year was very quiet, but still plenty choice for eating out and a good selection of bars within a short walk.

Room Tip: The rooms facing the pool or garden seem to offer the best of the sunshine.