“Great holiday, lovely hotel”
Review of Zafiro Tropic

Zafiro Tropic
Ranked #13 of 48 Hotels in Port d'Alcudia
Birkenhead, United Kingdom
“Great holiday, lovely hotel”
Reviewed 30 July 2014

Just got home from a 10 night stay. We stayed self catering myself, husband and son first Impressions where excellent, room a little small but immaculately clean and had all the amenities we needed. Hotel grounds where fabulous, garden, adult pool, golf, play area, kids pool and a main pool also plenty of sunbeds :) small on site supermarket, pool bar offering snacks and main restaurant. We decided not to book all inclusive as we like to get out and about and sample restaurants in the resort so cannot comment on food. Hotel staff where helpful, friendly and accomodatiing would definitely return. The resort itself was lovely, loads of restaurants, nice beach and prom and lovely harbour to admire the many yachts!! Michael Schumacher's was docked when we stayed.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
5 Thank Michelle S

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (161)
  • Czech first
  • Hungarian first
Leeds, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 July 2014 via mobile

Me and my mum and son of 4 have just come back from a very good holiday at the Viva Tropic.

The only criticism was the poor service when we first arrived. Our plane was delayed and we arrived at 1.30am, my son was asleep around my arms and the man on reception did not offer to help with the luggage and watched me struggle with the cases and my son asleep. I do not think this is acceptable for a 4 star hotel. He also then programmed out cards incorrectly so we had to go back down to reception to ask for help. Having payed the same price as an adult for my son I was disappointed to see a pull out bed in the same room as me and my mum. We had to share a double bed also. We then thought this was going to be an unpleasant holiday.

Fortunately the rest of the staff made up for our negative experience. The food was fantastic and we were spoilt for choice. The waiters made an extra effort with my son joking around with him and making him giggle. The hotel was very much for families and was perfect for us.

Location wise we were close to the beach and also served well with busses if you wanted to explore as we did.

There were activities for the kids all day and my son was very well entertained.

I would visit again it was just a shame to have such a poor start!

• Stayed July 2014
7 Thank HN_Goodwin
Southampton
Reviewed 27 July 2014 via mobile

We have just come back from a fab holiday at Viva Tropic. We have stayed at Viva Hotel every year for the last seven years & this was our second visit to Tropic.
This hotel is fantastic. I can't understand other reviews about unpleasant hotel staff as this wasn't our experience at all. In fact totally the opposite, they were extremely friendly and helpful. We were all inclusive and I felt we were treated exactly the same as those 'paying' in the bar and restaurant.
We stayed in a Royal Terrace apartment, which I can highly recommend.
The entertainment staff were great & work extremely hard. The shows were good on the nights the viva Flying Team performed, but I wasn't very impressed with a couple of the other shows.

All in all, a fab hotel and location. We will definitely be returning to Viva!

Stayed July 2014
3 Thank 19760403
West Lothian
Reviewed 27 July 2014

Arrived for our 10 day holiday,booked in and went to our room which was facing the street. Went straight back down to ask for a different room as I had requested pool view. After being told nothing was available, they found us a room at an additional cost of 10 euros per day! Room 1237 was great, large bedroom with huge bed, plenty of wardrobe space and hangers, sofa bed in living room opened up to large single or double, bathroom was spacious with large shower. Balcony was spacious and lovely view over complex. My only gripe is the air con-ok in living room but terrible in bedroom.
FOOD- would have to say this was excellent. We were AI and a wide variety was available to suit everyone. We also ate at the A la carte on 2 occasions and although we enjoyed it, wasn't any better than the restaurant food. My son never made breakfast but ate at Pool bar which offered a good selection of food.

POOL- as 3 adults we chose to sunbathe in the adult area where you will find huge 4 poster beds, some in the shade all day or in the sun, whichever is your preference and a lovely pool with Jacuzzis. Although it's next to the kiddies Pirate Ship pool, didn't find this too imposing. The only downfall is no staff monitor this area and some people ignored the "adult only" and brought their kids in. There were 3 pools for children so no need to use this one.

BAR & ENTERTAINMENT- the work that the staff put in to entertain children is outstanding. They entertain them from 10am to 10pm. Entertainment for adults was good-tribute acts etc. But it stops about 10.15pm then the area quitens down with families departing to their rooms leaving the atmosphere a bit dull- would be better for something to last a bit later for people who don't have children. Bar staff were fab, especially Diego, Richard, Jim and Packo - there were a few who didn't crack a smile but they didn't put us off and if you tip them for good service they tend to look after you :-) . A great selection of drinks and cocktails.

GYM- my son used this a couple of times, free to use if AI. It was well equipped.
I did intend to have a spa treatment but just didn't get round to it- too busy relaxing in the sun.

Location is good and a short walk takes you to shops, beach and marina. The beach is immaculate. There are plenty of restaurants and bars to suit everyone.

Would definitely recommend this hotel whether it's family orientated or adults only.

Room Tip: Pool view a must
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
5 Thank HandiWestLothian
Sunderland, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 July 2014

Myself and my boyfriend stayed here from the 16th June for 1 week. We meticulously trawl through reviews on here to find good hotels before we go away. We always stay self catering since we prefer to eat out at different places each day.
My positive points are that it is very, very close to the beach, port and shops and since it gets very hot it's nice not to have to walk too far. There is a train which takes you to and from a few places, although not the old town. It's about a half hour walk to there. There is a nightly market on the pier, lots of places to eat and the food is well priced and lovely, lots for veggies to eat, too.
There are quite a few negatives compared to other hotels I have stayed in abroad. I wore flip flops in the shower because the floor of it looked filthy. When we let the cleaners in, nothing was changed on the bed, simply re-made. I know this as I had spilt a drink on my sheets and it was still there after the cleaners had been in. I've never heard of a hotel where the guests have to wash up after themselves, however this was evident as when I first took plates out of the cupboard they were FILTHY with food still encrusted on. Also, there is no sponge or scourer provided to enable you to clean your own crockery. The kettle in the room was unusable as it smelt vile and there was blue fluid all over the base.
The smoke alarm is on the wall by the bed. This flashes red every few seconds. At night, when you have the blackout curtains shut, this is very bright and very disruptive to sleep.
If there is an empty room above or next to you then be prepared to be woken up, as these begin getting cleaned at 7.30. This includes furniture being dragged along the floor and banging and crashing - not very considerate to your guests There are people going up and down the corridors making the most atrocious racket at 7am, too. I'd quite like a lie in on my holidays but it is not possible here.
The "double bed" was two singles shoved together - standard for abroad I know. However the edges of the mattresses were so hard we couldn't even cuddle up, we even had separate duvets.
Also, in our room, room 1114, must have been over an air con unit for the shop or something. Every ten minutes during the day the most incredible noise which went on for a full minute. It was ok for us as we don't spend much time in the hotel anyway but I would avoid this room at all costs.
The "adult chill out pool" is right next to the children's pirate play park, and also behind it is a basketball park. The one time we came here we were greeted with the screaming of a young child for 15 minutes and kids kicking a ball off the fence behind us in the basketball court - very relaxing, I'm sure!! After this we just headed straight to the beach.
Next time we go away it will definitely be adults only, and although the hotel is situated in a great place, I would not recommend it to couples who want a relaxing week away together.

Room Tip: Refuse to accept if you are put in room 1114
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank gingerkitkat
Viva h, Gerente at Zafiro Tropic, responded to this review, 29 July 2014
Dear gurst
First of all we would like to thank you for taking the time to send us your comments and queries. It is very important to us as it improves the service level of our hotel. Now let me apologize that you were not given the holiday you expected. Our aim here in Hotels Viva is to ensure that your holiday is an extremely happy one.
We pride ourselves in having many returning, satisfied customers. When we do have a complaint we treat all correspondence seriously. I’ll hope next time you can come at the reception and ask for me to solve any problem that you have, because If you have any problem with the cleaning service I can inform immediately to the Head cleaner and we can solve it in the best way.
I hope that we will have the opportunity to welcome you again in Hotels Viva.

Kind Regards,
Daniel Martorell
Hotel Manager
Bromsgrove, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 July 2014 via mobile

We are currently halfway through a 14 day stay at the viva tropic and are desperately miserable every minute we spend in the place, this is totally down to the front of house bar and restaurant staff. They are appalling, they are making our stay almost unbearable. One of the recent reviews commented that they thought because they were all inclusive they were treats poorly. We are not all inclusive , so pay for everything but are still treated like dirt. Customers service is none existent. The staff are miserable, rude and totally alien to any other I have experienced in Spanish hotels, we love Alcudia and the old town especially but Viva Tropic is one hotel you should avoid at all cost if you expect happy smiling staff looking to make your stay something special.

Stayed July 2014
6 Thank Niffty1328
Viva h, Gerente at Zafiro Tropic, responded to this review, 28 July 2014
Dear guest,
First of all we would like to thank you for taking the time to send us your comments and queries. It is very important to us, as it improves the service level of our hotel.

Now let me apologize that you were not given the service in the bar/restaurant that you expected. Our aim here in Viva is to ensure that your holiday is an extremely happy one. I’m going to inform to the responsible of the department about all your comments.

Un saludo,
Daniel Martorell
Hotel Manager
Stavanger, Norway
Reviewed 20 July 2014

Me and my extended family stayed one week at Viva Tropic in June. We were there to celebrate my mothers 60 years birthday and treated ourself with all inclusive. Big mistake...
We felt like we were being punished for that choice throughout the stay. The service in the bar area and restaurant was really rude and unpleasent. We felt like we were bothering them every time we ordered something. We do understand that other paying guest are more likely to tip them but this is not acceptable. We were prepared to tip if we got good service but unfortunately that did not happen...

The entertainment at night was ok but a bit boring and repetative. The bar closed at 11 pm and so did the light on the appartments balconies..

Roomservice was almost not existing. Seemed like all they did was sweeping quickly over the floor and made up the beds.If you brought glasses or similiar up to the room you had to bring it back down youself. When paying for all inclusive you should not have to clean up the room your self.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Hilde H
Viva h, Gerente at Zafiro Tropic, responded to this review, 23 July 2014

Now let me apologise that you were not given the holiday you expected. Our aim here in Viva is to ensure that your holiday is an extremely happy one.

I hope that we have the opportunity to welcome you again to Hotels Viva. We pride ourselves in having many returning, satisfied customers. When we do have a complaint we treat all correspondence seriously.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Port d'Alcudia
Viva Sunrise
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,627 reviews
Alcudia Garden Aparthotel
Alcudia Garden Aparthotel
#17 of 48 in Port d'Alcudia

Been to Zafiro Tropic? Share your experiences!