“Very nice”

Hotel JS Sol de Alcudia
Ranked #8 of 50 Hotels in Port d'Alcudia
Reviewed 8 July 2013

Stayed for a week in early July - hotel was quite busy but the staff were always available to help at any time.
Breakfast meal was excellent, always a good variety of dishes.
Had a couple of meals in the evening and again there was a great choice of meals.
Close to shops and beach, and a regular local bus service to many different towns.
Alcudia old town definitely worth a visit.
Evening entertainment at the hotel was sometimes excellent, sometimes not so good (I'm being polite here!).
Overall it was a great little break and would definitely go back.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank BillEIsleofMan
John C, General Manager at Hotel JS Sol de Alcudia, responded to this reviewResponded 19 July 2013

Dear Bill,

Thank you for taking the time to send your review of your stay at JS Sol de Alcudia.
We are very pleased that you enjoyed your vacations in our hotel.
We will take into account your point about our evening entertainment.
We hope you will have an opportunity to return and enjoy JS X again in the future.
Kind Regards,
JS Sol de Alcudia Team

Reviewed 23 June 2013

I recently visited this hotel with my 4 yr old son in June 2013.
I booked the holiday through Teletext and chose it because of location and obviously price but was told at the time there was childrens entertainment(there wasnt!)

The hotel had a park for children which was small and clean and the swimming pool was also brilliant for children as had both a childrens section and a shallow section, you can also relax and watch your children from anywhere in the pool area as it is visible. Sun loungers and parasols were also provided, however you had to be pretty quick as there werent too many.

There is a lovely roof terrace with jacuzzi and sauna etc which was free of charge.

Rooms were average size and balconys were small but big enough to sit on on an evening.

The whole hotel was immaculate and the maid was in our room every day without fail, also the cleaners and pool man were out every morning and evening.
The staff were overly friendly and also very helpful.

We were given a pool view room which I considered to be probably the best room, 2nd floor and right above the gazebo where the (adult) entertainent was every night around 10pm, in form of Michael Jackson/Tom Jones tribute etc. The entertainment stopped at around 11.30 and if you closed your doors it wasnt too loud.

Negatives about this hotel:

At our time of stay there were only 3 other British couples staying and the other 99% of the hotel were German, thus the hotel catered for the German majority with things like chips and veg for your breakfast and absolutely no childrens choice on either a morning or evening, we were half board but ended up eating out every evening but had the usual croissants for breakfast etc. The dining facilitoes were may I add very clean and waiters helpful, it just wasnt our choice of food to eat the same every evening and the same for breakfast.

NO childrens entertainment either night or day which I was confused by as they had a park and childrens pool!

Positives:

Very clean hotel with quiet pool area.
Lovely friendly staff.
Excellent location literally a stone throw away from the local shops, bars, restaurants and beach.
There was a bar next door which had childrens mini disco called Cheers Bar which I recommend one evening if you have kids who like spongebob etc!

We did really enjoy our stay here and I would stay again but perhaps go self catering.

Room Tip: Ask for a pool view room as they are relatively quieter and you can also enjoy the evening entertain...
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
3  Thank jo306
Reviewed 20 June 2013

The hotel is a three stars hotel but deserves one more star.
The rooms are not big but ok, clean and with a fridge what is very practical.
The staff is very friendly. The pool is very nice and there is a great sun terrace.
The beach is only 5 min away and its possible also to take a bus to visit Palma. (30 min drive)
The only problem: its quite loud at night because of the bars next to the hotel. I had to sleep with windows closed. but the vacation was very nice!

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled solo
4  Thank Mona B
Reviewed 15 June 2013

I stayed there when I participated at Ironman 70.3 Mallorca. It was a very pleasant experience.

The hotel is not too far a walk from the centre and is located not too far from the beach. The reception staff are friendly and the director was very pleasant.

The buffet breakfast was in general excellent with sufficient variety. The only negative part were the orange pieces which obviously cam from a can.

Evening meal was also excellent with good variety. The staff were all extremely genuinely friendly and that helped me make my stay good. The only negative part was that a small bottle of mineral water was 2.3 Euros and they did not have larger bottles. On some days there was a great variety of fish which was very pleasing.

I would stay there again as overall I had a very good experience. Once again the director and his staff made my trip.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled solo
5  Thank rahenyman
Reviewed 9 October 2012

Very friendly staff everywhere.... Reception, bar & restaurant. My room was a little small but very clean and the bed was comfortable.

Pool area was clean, with plenty of sun lounges. Food was a little bland and not very hot and more variety would definitely be a big help. I was eating out after a few days of the restaurant menus.

Overall a very nice hotel and I would return and I'd also recommend it to my friends. I felt the staff were the hotel's best asset.....they always had a smile and they were very pleasant to deal with.

Room Tip: The rooms overlooking the pool were subject to the sounds of laughter, talking, revelling at night...
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled solo
5  Thank Tipp1955
Reviewed 22 September 2012

We're a couple in our mid twenties with no children.

The negatives are that the rooms are very small, they're room only even if you're staying bed and breakfast, so you won't be able to make quick meals and even have to hire a kettle for €8. We had to move rooms as we were placed at the front of the hotel right next to a night club with thudding music going on until 4am, it was literally as if we had the patio door open it was so loud. we were moved to a poolview room which was a bit better with entertainment stopping around midnight. There was no apology from reception for us having to move rooms, it seems to be a common occurrence.

The breakfast is ok if you don't want a full English, the sausages are German style with very odd looking scrambled egg. There's plenty of toast, pastries, good fried eggs etc. Don't expect a cup of tea unless you want it without milk! This is mainly a German hotel.

I was looking forward to going in the jacuzzi but it was too cold to sit in for longer that a few minutes.

The positives are that I found the hotel to be clean and staff friendly, the pool area is lovely and quiet, the pool is quite empty as its very cold but ok to swim in, it's nice for couples and you don't have to fight over sunbeds. The upstairs deck is nice too and a modern hotel overall apart from the rooms.

• Stayed: September 2012
3  Thank Laura P
Reviewed 18 August 2012 via mobile

Booked this holiday with low cost holidays, last minute. Hotel is very nice, mainly German people stop here which caused a problem with my 8 year old as the children there couldn't speak english so got bored of playing with her! Mainly couples stayed at this hotel, few children. Not many sun loungers round the pool, but there was no rush to get them either, was nice to have a lie in and still get a lounger! Poolside is very quiet, no entertainment, which I found quite refreshing - being able to relax and not be pestered for pool hockey was wonderful! Entertainment on night was only singers (no acrobats or anything), they were ok.
We got a poolside view room on first floor - due to medical condition I can't walk far, hotel caters very well for disabled people, even has a lift for disabled people to get in and out of pool! Unfortunately the room didn't reflect their ability to lok after those with walking issues! We had a twin room with a camp bed squeezed into it, severely restricting floor space! We had to shuffle furniture round ourselves to make space - also put some furniture on balcony to help!! I can barely move in the mornings, so it was a bit of a pain to have to worry about clambering over furniture too!
We were half board, breakfast was reheated vegetables from previous night in scrambled eggs!!!! Very poor food for both breakfast and evening meal, breakfast was same, no variations, cold meat, toast, Spanish bacon, German sausage, pastries (which were eaten up very fast!) and weird scrambled eggs. We ended up eating out for breakfast as the quality was that poor! Tea was extremely bland food! Really bad! The worst we have ever had, this says something coming from me as I will eat anything!!!
The hotel bar was nice and Sebastian and his team looked after us very well!
Location - quiet road off the strip, 5 minutes to beach, 5 minutes to pubs and nightlife, bout 20-30 minutes walk to alcudia (5euros in taxi) lively area catering for everyone!
All in all, lovely hotel, loved the quietness of the pool, but room size and food put us off!

• Stayed: August 2012