“What can I say.....Fantabulous!”

Ranked #7 of 50 Hotels in Port d'Alcudia
Reviewed 10 July 2014

We have been on a fair few 4 star all inclusive holidays and this has to be the best one yet! We stayed in block that backs on to the entertainment and I was worried very worried! We had the top floor, again I was worried. We soon realized we had absolutely nothing to worry about, the entertainment stopped dead at 10pm and it was very rare we awoke to noisy people walking past.

I would say there is a fair mix German, English, Dutch and possibly Russian Eastern Europeans. So I wouldnt be able to state if one nationality stood out more than an other.

Had to be at the sunbeds between 8-8:30am to get a 4 sunbeds near the pool, (if you cant beat em - join em!) however there were always free sunbeds throughout the day, just a little further back.

The small pool with the kiddies slides was simply amazing (could have done with seating around it for parents to sit) as it was out of the way a little.

The entertainment team were fantastic (when do they sleep and rest??!!) The life guard in the main pool was very professional, I saw him several times jump in to save some struggling child or someone who he thought was in trouble (but turned out he wasn't) just shows though he was very diligent!

We went at the very end of May for 10 nights, got private taxi which took around 45-50mins and cost 140euros there and back.

Everything about this holiday was spot on, we never return to the same place, this could convince us otherwise!!

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
3  Thank adele244

Reviewed 9 July 2014

Nice hotel, with good location. Family friendly. The shows each evening was not very impressing, but we did not expect it.

One annoying thing: Many guest occupy sun beds before breakfast. During the day half of the sun beds was not in use, but reserved. So it was difficult to get sun beds for a family - but it should not be the case, if the hotel was a little more restrictive.

In june-, many guest form central/eastern Europe.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Iberostar
2  Thank Wilsters
Reviewed 7 July 2014

This is quite an expensive hotel and so I will try and be as thorough as I can with my review.

We booked a SeaView room and stayed here as a family with two children aged 7 and 3 for a week from 16th June 2014. I had emailed ahead to the hotel to request either block 4 or 5, away from the entertainment and noise, as my son is a bad sleeper. Upon arrival at the hotel (at lunchtime) reception was busy so we had a little wait to check in. Upon check in we were allocated a room on the top floor of block 2, right in front of the entertainment and with a busy road to the other side of us. I went back to reception and explained that this wasn't suitable and they said I had been allocated it because of the SeaView but to their credit they switched us immediately to Block 5, right by the beach, but at the sacrifice of a "sea view".

It is important to NOTE here: this was not really a sea view at all, more like a tree view with a tiny gap of sea and so I would not recommend paying more for a SeaView unless you are guaranteed the End-of-Corridor rooms in block 5, and even then there is still trees blocking some of the view. These rooms were occupied by Germans throughout the whole of our stay and you will find a lot of Germans at this hotel (more on that later).

Our room was fine, large, spacious but basic, but it met our needs and I would definitely recommend a room in Block 5 as it is right by the beach and really close to the pool too; the only downside is that this block does not have an elevator which can be awkward when lugging suitcases up two steep flights of stairs and would not be suitable for people with mobility issues.

We were All Inclusive and found the food to be satisfactory - it wasn't anything special but it wasn't bad, but they had Veal on almost every single night which got a bit repetitive as there is only 2 meat choices per night (not including fish). They did also have a "Special" everynight which consisted of Salmon or Lobster or Kebabs and proved very popular with most guests. The same can be said of the Chocolate fountain which they had on two of the nights of our stay - the only problem with this is that is was surrounded by kids and you couldn't really get near it so I would imagine this would be frustating in the school holiday periods which are busier. Although my husband and kids managed to always find something suitable to eat, I am type 1 diabetic but do not take insulin yet and so need to have a strict diet and I found the cold food selection fine but the hot food was always very Carby and Sugary and I did struggle to find something suitable for me but I appreciate I am an exception. Breakfast was by far the best meal of the day.

The drinks were also All Inclusive but again I was disappointed because the cocktails on the All Inclusive were pre-mixed and were awful but the ones you had to pay for were made fresh and much better. This really irritates me as people who are All Inclusive are not getting a "free ride" they have paid in advance and so I feel they should get the top class drinks included in their package. This was also apparent with the evening meal. The people who weren't All Inclusive got a wine list with much better wines and a full table service; where the All Inclusive guests were directed to the "wine taps" which served boxed wine and pretty much left to their own devices.

The main pool was fine and there was plenty of sunbeds available all day but I would imagine the pool would seem very crowded during the school holidays as it is not particularly large. The kiddies pool is good for the kids but there are no sunbeds near it and so nowhere for parents to sit and so we couldn't use it all that much as we would have to stand around or sit on the edge of a wall to keep an eye on our youngest; not the most comfortable place to be! We didn't use the "quiet" pool as our son was only 3 and younger children weren't supposed to use it but it did seem to have a lot of sunbeds around it and probably good for people who travel without children.

The Entertainment during our stay was terrible. The children's entertainment was mostly in Spanish or German and whilst I would expect Spanish as it is a Spanish island, there seemed to be more German children's entertainment than even Spanish! There are alot of Germans at this hotel and, as stereotypical as I feel writing this, some of them are just extremely ignorant which did put a dampener on certain points of the holiday. The adults entertainment was equally awful and we ended up walking out most nights and so did most other people and it was nearly always empty because of this. The School of Rock night was the worst, I have never heard such a terrible version of Rock music in my life and the only night where the entertainment was remotely good was the circus night.

The location of the hotel is what makes this hotel worth visiting. It is right on the beach and what can I say about the beach... It is beautiful. It is by far the best beach I have visited and we spent a lot of time here where we usually end up around the pool all the time. The sea was gorgeous, warm and shallow for quite a distance out and so safe for the children. The hotel is also right next to the main strip where all the shops are - about 2mins walk away. The port is slightly further about 25-30minutes walk but I honestly found better shops on the strip. Be warned though, there was a beach party on one of the nights and the music was belting out until around 1am right outside our block and although this had nothing to do with the hotel I feel they should have at least warned us about it as they were aware of us changing blocks due to noise issues and block 5 is literally right by the beach.

One other thing is that this hotel does not provide free Wi-Fi and in this day and age I genuinely feel that if a hotel does not offer free Wi-Fi then it should not be allowed to have a four-star rating. The Wi-Fi was very expensive at 20Euros for the week and even then you could only use it on ONE device so I used it on my phone and the Ipad and my Husbands phone were redundant the whole week. You also have to faff on signing back in all over again everytime you leave the hotel and come back and try and use the Wi-Fi - this is also a pain.

My mother and auntie were also in Alcudia during this week but they stayed in the Viva Tropic hotel which had a lot more for children than this hotel did though the location was not as good for the beach. All in all this hotel has been given 4 stars by me purely due to its location. If you are the type who love the beach and place high importance upon location when you go on holiday then this is definitely the hotel for you as the location makes up for everything else that may not be great with the hotel. However, if you are more inclined towards holidays around the pool and don't really place importance upon being on the beach then you would be better off in one of the much cheaper hotels as most of the hotels were not that far from the beach anyway.

As a final note I would like to point out that the cleaning/maintenence staff were all lovely and constantly working keeping the hotel clean. The sunbeds and pool area were cleaned every single night as well as through the day and the cleaning staff were very thorough in the rooms too. They spoke little English but they were always busy and working hard and always had a smile for you as well. The cleaning/maintenence staff really are a credit to this hotel.

Would I return? I would certainly return to Alcudia but I am torn about whether I would return to this hotel as the beach was so amazing but everything else wasn't and so at this stage I would return only if they provided free Wi-Fi and only if I couldn't find a cheaper hotel that was also on the beach. If I did return I would not want to be in any other block but Block 5 due to its proximity to the beach and I would request an end of (right-hand-side) corridor room looking out on to the beach.

Room Tip: I would not stay in any Block other than Block 5 due to its proximity to the beach but beware - it h...
5  Thank Elaine M
IberostarHoteles, Online Reputation Manager at IBEROSTAR Ciudad Blanca, responded to this reviewResponded 9 July 2014

Dear Elaine,

Thank you for reviewing your recent holiday experience at our IBEROSTAR Ciudad Blanca hotel; we sincerely appreciate all of your input, as it helps us identify areas that could use more attention to detail.

Related to your room allocation, we would like to take the opportunity to explain that we allocate our rooms in accordance with the room type selected at the time of reservation and if a request leads to a downgrade, we usually do not change the allocation before our guests’ arrival; we are glad on the other hand to read that as soon as reported to reception, our staff was able to find a swift solution that suited better your needs and wishes.

The gastronomy is one of the prime pillars of IBEROSTAR and our talented team of Chefs strive to prepare a wide array of both local and international dishes following a two weeks menu rotation to ensure the possibility to savor many different flavors at every single meal; we lament not being informed about your special diet requirements as we would have been able to assist you, for future occasions, please do not hesitate to inform us prior to your arrival so our Maître and Chefs can especially cater for your needs.

Our hotel welcomes an international clientele; Majorca is on the other hand, renowned as a preferred destination for German tourists; however children from all nationalities are catered for thanks to our professional Mini Club team who organizes a wide array of activities for our little guests to take full advantage of their stay, with enriching games and fun sport activities designed to expand kids’ horizons and create new friendships in a multicultural environment.

We lament your disappointment on the All Inclusive drinks, however we would like to explain that guest snot staying All Inclusive have no drinks included in the evening meal, nevertheless guests staying on All Inclusive basis have indeed the possibility to order superior types of wines on extra charge.
The star rating of hotels depend on many aspects, the free access to Wi Fi is not a standard for 4 star hotels, we sincerely regret your disappointment for this extra charge and passed on your review to our central office where costs are decided for information.

On the other hand, we greatly appreciate your praising comments on our maintenance and cleaning staff and will not fail to congratulate them all on your behalf.

Last but not least, our hotel has indeed a privileged location, right on the beautiful beach of Playa de Muro and with a wide array of leisure and dining options on the doorstep.

We do appreciate your comments as they can help us to improve. We hope to see you again in the near future and to have the opportunity to offer you a very enjoyable experience with IBEROSTAR.

Kindest Regards,
Online Reputation Manager

Reviewed 5 July 2014

Fantastic hotel for family. The Director Yara is proactive. Staff friendly and standard of housekeeping is excellent. Special thanks to Alejandro, Bryant Robin and Georgie for fantastic entertainment and plenty of activies for all age groups especially my teenage sons. We will be back.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Iberostar.com
4  Thank Colette A
IberostarHoteles, Online Reputation Manager at IBEROSTAR Ciudad Blanca, responded to this reviewResponded 8 July 2014

Dear Colette,

It is always a great source of motivation to read that our guests have enjoyed their stay at our IBEROSTAR Ciudad Blanca hotel, thank you for sharing your feedback on Tripadvisor.

Moreover we are glad to read that you felt well cared after throughout your stay and thank you for referencing many team members by name as we are now able to address your kind compliments to them personally.

Last but not least, thorough cleaning being an absolute must for IBEROSTAR, we thank you for highlighting the cleanliness of our hotel; we strive to give total confidence in this area, being fully aware that this is the base for a comfortable holiday experience in any hotel.

Thank you again for making us your choice hotel when visiting the area and for your praising review; it would be a great pleasure to welcome you again at your earliest convenience.

Kindest Regards,

Online Reputation Manager

Reviewed 5 July 2014

We travelled with my sister and 2 boys 13 and 14 There was something for everyone to do Boys when they were not eating were playing rifle shooting volly ball swimming. We the adults had aqua aerobics rifle shooting keep fit if we wanted. We did some but lazing around the pool was fab. Family entertainment with Robin Brian Georgio was excellent. Food was amazing I could not recumbent this hotel enough. Staff were so friendly like friends. The director Yara sure is doing a good job I will defo be back here.

Review collected in partnership with Iberostar.com
2  Thank barbaranib
Reviewed 1 July 2014

This is the second time we have stayed here and would definitely go back again. We had a garden view apartment, which we requested, and got the same one we had last September. We went as a couple but it was great to see the children enjoying themselves and being entertained by the excellent staff, who are so friendly and helpful. We were all inclusive, the food was excellent and the drinks were good quality, in fact my husband gained 10lbs in 10 days!!! Only one adverse comment, I think for the cost of the holiday the Wifi should be free, all inclusive means all inclusive.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
5  Thank Pauline K
Reviewed 30 June 2014 via mobile

We have just returned from a week at this hotel and overall we had an excellent and enjoyable stay at this lovely hotel.
The good:
Beach front location is superb the beach is beautiful gorgeous white soft sand and amazing calm and warm blue sea perfect for babies and kids

Staff-most of the staff are exceptionally friendly they make an effort to say hello and ask how you are enjoying your stay especially the reception staff their customer service skills are exceptional. There are only 2 waiters in the main hotel restaurant who are miserable and don't greet you or smile if you greet them first, someone called Toni and a short older man with blonde ish hair, a shame as the other staff are so pleasant and friendly. In fact one night out daughter was ill and didn't come down for dinner and insisted she only wanted a banana when I went to the restaurant they didn't have any bananas so I asked a waiter and he very kindly and promptly got me one from the kitchen so we were impressed with this too.

Pool
Excellent pool especially for babies and toddlers who can't swim as it starts off as very shallow and slowly gets deeper.

Excellent food here especially as it's all inclusive you don't always expect very high standards but the food here was excellent, an excellent large range of food all cooked well, the chef cooked amazing paella everyday amongst other great food and for any ice cream lovers the ice cream they serve here is gorgeous really good quality and some great flavours!

Downsides:
We paid for a sea view room and we were given a room in the main building which did have a sea view but was very restricted due to the tall trees (see picture) however I'm sure that if I mentioned this they would've offered us a different room with a better view as I know the staff really aim to please but we were tired from the journey and didn't fancy messing about with different rooms so if you want a good sea view the 4th floor isn't the best.

The rooms: we had a room with a separate bedroom and 2 sofa beds overall the room/apartment was big, spacious and light and airey and the beds very comfy, the only downside is the overall decor and the walls are very dated but maybe this is part of the traditional Mallorcan charm so again not a big deal, the space and kitchen facility were more valuable to us.

Cleaners: All the cleaners were really friendly and make a special fuss over children and babies so that was a nice touch, only downside here is despite having nice chats and giving generous tips the cleaner insisted on leaving only 2 big bath towels when she knows there are 4 of us in the room, but again I should've asked her to leave 4 as I'm sure this would be no problem, I just always forgot!

Mini club
Every evening in the mini club disco they present certificates for children who are in the day time activities which is great but it's only 3 certificates and seeing some of the poor little childrens' disappointed faces who didn't get a certificate especially when their sibling did was sad and the some of the children who are too young for the activities wanted something too so it would've been nice if after presenting these certificates they could've just given the other children a little paper badge or something for attending the disco so they don't walk away empty handed n a bit disappointed!

On the whole this hotel is excellent, very friendly and the staff take excellent care of the hotel and their guests they really make an effort to ensure their guests are happy. Excellent pool and beach location and lovely food too, I would definitely recommend this hotel and would return to this hotel.

• Stayed: June 2014
4  Thank Dee082
Also consider these accommodations in or near Port d'Alcudia
Hotel Astoria Playa Only Adults
PortBlue Club Pollentia Resort & Spa
Iberostar Alcudia Park
Iberostar Alcudia Park
#9 of 30 in Playa de Muro

Been to IBEROSTAR Ciudad Blanca? Share your experiences!