“Good 3* Hotel - You Get What You Pay For”
Review of Hotel Piscis

Hotel Piscis
Ranked #27 of 48 Hotels in Port d'Alcudia
London, United Kingdom
“Good 3* Hotel - You Get What You Pay For”
Reviewed 16 August 2014

We recently booked and travelled to this hotel. We read the reviews before embarking on our trip with great interest and were at times alarmed at the comments made by other users. On the day of arrival we were expecting to see something horrific! This was definitely not the case....

Upon arrival, reception staff were pleasant and we went to the room. We had a clean, small but adequate room for me, the husband and 2 children. On the 6th floor, we overlooked the walkway were the English and Irish pub was located. Throughout the holiday, we didn't get woken or disturbed by noise from this area. The majority of the noise was from the neighbours in the next room, coming in late and arguing with the most pleasant foul language! The walls were thin, so beware conversations can be heard!

We did have an electronic safe in the room which was excellent.

One day, we had a problem with our patio door locking, this was dealt with on the following day satisfactory.

We were concerned to have read that the food was terrible. This clearly wasn't the case. People need to remember this is a 3* establishment and not the Ritz or a Hilton hotel. Food was adequate and tasty. Breakfast was our favourite meal of the day!

The queue for the bar was sometimes long but nothing more than what you can expect in an English pub on a Saturday night. The drinks measures were generous!

Staff were friendly and worked very hard.

My only negative point is that we would have liked our bed linen and towels to be changed more than once a week. Also, having water or tea/coffee making facilities would have been good. I have suggested to the hotel that on each floor they should have a water, coffee, and tea drinks dispenser as they do in the restaurant and in the bar area.

The pool area was very small but as beach people we didn't use this facility at all. The hotel is located in a nice area of Alcudia. The beach, shops and harbour are both very accessible.

Nothing to do with the hotel, but the strong smell of sulphur on the beach can be off putting. We found it was much better towards the Sunwing hotel.

Overall, a very nice holiday, weather fantastic and respectable hotel (better than expected)!

We would definitely go back again.

We used Sun Transfers for our airport transfers. They were excellent and would highly recommend and cheaper than a taxi and a lot faster!

1 Thank Karen M

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (279)
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
Scarborough, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 August 2014 via mobile

Well what can I say where do I start, my daughter went down with sickness bug second day as we spoke to other family's they had same sickness and diarrhea too, rooms not moped or swept, cockroaches in dining hall coning out of the kitchen which is a sign of poor hygiene, there was a big cockroach on the water tank were you get your water too i have stayed at lots of hotels and not seen any cockroaches at all.There water was not bottle water it was a big office type tank and people used there own bottles to fill up and go to the beach with not sealed water bottles like most all inclusive hotels supply, food bland we ate out as the que's were to long, poolside tiles broken, no life guards, no sunbeds available ever as people put towels on all day so we resorted to sit on white plastic chairs not happy, reception staff not very welcoming, there only 1 bar and yet again more ques, I have been in all inc 3* for the past three years and have left them feeling sad to leave i couldn't wait to leave hotel and go home this should be 1* scruffy, dated hotel and I would never recommend this hotel to anyone

Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank mandy c

Travellers are raving about these Port d'Alcudia hotels

Suffolk, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 August 2014

Before my holiday I was extremely worried by the bad reviews on here but I have to urge you to ignore them all. I have just returned from a 7 day stay and didn't want to leave!
I am 25 and was staying in the hotel with my 17 year old sister and 70 year old nan, we are all used to 4/5* holidays but were all perfectly happy with our holiday here.

Here is my honest and helpful review:

Location- amazing!!! The beach is literally 2 mins from the hotel, as are the many restaurants, shops and bars. The harbour is beautiful too! The beach is gorgeous, clear water, white sand and perfect for children as the water us shallow in the bay. it was never overcrowded. Beds were available to hire although if you weren't happy with a towel on the sand. I would visit again just to be in the beautiful town of Alcudia.

Rooms- I didn't have any complaints with our room. It wasn't massive but we had 3 single beds, a dressing table, built in wardrobe, a bathroom and a big balcony. We barely spent any time in it but it served us well. It was cleaned every day except thurs&sundsy with towels and bedding always changed. Our air con kept the room cool and the option to hire a safe out our minds at rest. We were at th front of the hotel facing the road and had no problems, I did hear people complain about noise in rooms facing the bars near by but even then the bars aren't noisy roudy places and most ask people to move inside at midnight.

Food- I was most worried about the food but i had absolutely no reason to. Food was different every s ingle day, we also had 2 themed nights (oriental and tapas). There was a large choice of meats, fish, carbs and fruit/veg. In fact I've never had so much fresh veg on an all inclusive holiday before! My sister is incredibly fussy and managed to eat and enjoy 3 massive meals each day.

Restaurant- a lot of people on here moaned about it being too busy. We learnt to avoid the peak times eg don't go in as soon as it opens for lunch and dinner, but this way we never really had any problems. We did see long queues at times but tended to wait until it had been open an hour or so before going in. The staff are fantastic, they clear tables quickly and are always cleaning tables to enable new family's to sit.

Pool- I have to agree with people on here that complained about the pool not being big enough for the hotel but that did not affect our holiday at all. They don't open the pool until 9am which meant towels could not be put down to reserve beds before this time. Anyone who tried had their towels removed. In order to get thr beds directly around the pool, people did queue from about 8am to get into the pool area but I did this every day and didn't mind at all. I much preferred this system to hotels where people woke up at 5am to reserve beds. There are plenty of beds on the sun terrace but it was extremely hot up there!! The pool is in th shade at the beginning of th day but I found this quite a welcome relief and the sun was there from about half 10 onwards. The pool itself isn't massive but never felt ridiculously crowded. Yes children splash around but it's a family hotel! We tended to spend mornings by the pool and afternoons at the beach.

Entertainment- there is just one entertainer rather than a whole team but Lisa does a great job!!! Daily activities for kids and adults and entertainment each evening, Lisa chats to everyone during the day and makes you feel really welcome! My only complaint would be that entertainment finishes at 11pm, would have liked a disco to carry on for a little while after this.

Bar- a range of spirits, beers, wines, sangria and cocktails available all day until midnight. Unlimited popcorn, ice cream, sandwiches and slush puppies available all day too.
At times there was only 1 barman so queues did tend to get quite big but this isn't the barmens,p fault, they just need a few extra staff, especially at night.

Hotel in general- we always experienced polite and helpful staff at reception. Always happy to chat and answer questions. The hotel was always clean and we observed staff cleaning early every morning.

I had a fantastic week here and would definitely go back. All members of my party were happy. Yes it's a big hotel with a quick changeover and yes it isn't 5* quality but we didn't pay for or expect that! If you want a relaxed sun holiday in a busy family hotel with good food and a great location then this holiday is for you! Alcudia is stunning, we walked out every evening and loved th shops, bars and harbour. I hope this review helps to put people's minds at rest :)

Room Tip: I would ask for a High room, front facing. Some people had rooms facing the side street and complain...
13 Thank J N
Dundee, Scotland, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 August 2014 via mobile

Just got home after spending a week in the piscis with my son and nephew who are both 8 ..room was small but ok kids got the sickness bug on our first night there ,asked at reception next day to have the room cleaned and the beds changed as the kids had been sick everywhere.on return to our room the beds were changed but the floor had not been mopped, so another visit was made to reception it was mopped the following day...food was repetitive kids did not eat much, best meal was at breakfast time large queues at all times ...pool is tiny for the amount of people staying there if you want a lounger I would advise setting your alarm for 7.30am and getting down to queue for a lounger as the pool area dosent open till 8.30am about 40 loungers at the pool and there are about 600 people staying there...bar area is served by 1 person sometimes 2 the older man serving at the bar could do with being better mannered as he was very aggressive and cheeky to my 2 kids... Childrens club was pathetic as was the entertainment at night ..hotel is in perfect spot for beach alcudia is a beautiful resort... If your planning to go to the waterpark I paid 55 euro just to get in that was 1 adult and 2 children you then have to pay 5 euro for each lounger once inside ... As for the hotel piscis sorry I won't be going back .....alcudia I would go back to this resort but would research for a better hotel

Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Lawrence C
Reviewed 13 August 2014

Booked an all girls 3 night holiday - asked for pool view but know there was not always a chance to get this! Receptionist greeted us very politely gave us our key explained where to go. Got into the lift to 3rd floor room 341.... Looking for room was hard to find to finally find the room where we were chucked at a back room that didn't even have a card door facility it was a key. When arriving in the room there was cleaners just finishing up in the room. We walked out to the balcony to find it stank of fish and was all smashed windows and a very tired building (part of hotel) was not impressed called down to hotel who said there was nothing they can do. Went to the toilet to find poo left down there and cleaners knock on door to say they forgot to change the towels so we still had the previous occupiers towels in room! At this point I was so angry I went straight to reception to tell them I want to exchange rooms immediately! They was rude and told me they were fully booked to come down tomorrow even though there was lots of empty rooms being cleaned by the cleaners!
When arriving we just missed lunch but went to bar to get drink and see if they had any snacks which they did (sandwiches) DO NOT GET TUNA SANDWICH - was the tiniest dollop of tuna which made the bread extreamly soggy!
Dinner was not too bad nor breakfast but drinks from bar such as slush, lemonade and diet coke had a funny taste!
Where to start with the pool - to get a bed you need to que at 6:30 - 7 to get one and even then your not guaranteed! Pool area was far too small for the amount of guest in hotel!
We wasted out money on being all inclusive as we was out all morning till dinner down at the beach where it was €4.50 each bed + drinks and lunch we had to pay for each day.
If you go to this hotel do not do all inclusive it is not worth the money you are best to spend the extra money to eat out reasonably priced and lovely restaurants around. Surroundings are great just the hotel has let our stay down. Will definitely go back to alcudia just not the hotel. Staff were very rude especially the staff in the restaurant!!! Not for kids at all
Worse 3* I have stayed in !!!!

• Stayed August 2014
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 August 2014

No T.V, no tea coffee facilities in room, beds hard could feel the slats. One bar on ground floor had to carry drinks to very small entertainments room on first floor. Kids club is a sham, entertainment rubbish. pool area far to small approximately 20 sun beds. so no chance of getting one, know staff looking after pool area, broken tiles and cement seeping out near pool ladder. children running riot and throwing people in the pool, saw three injuries. spent a week there and the sheets weren't changed, or the towels. the food was ok but as for the mid day snacks, they consisted of ham sandwiches, tuna sandwich or ham and cheese, had a tuna sandwich and looked inside lets put it this way, a 50p is bigger than the amount of tuna inside. would we go again most defiantly not. location brilliant.

Room Tip: Don't think there is one
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Fife
Reviewed 13 August 2014

Just arived back from this hotel. I will keep the review as objective as possible. First the location of the hotel is fantastic, the resort is beautiful and I wuld recommned it to anyone however, the hotel could be good but in my opinion it is not managed properly.

Room - We had a large party so had 3 room between us. The rooms are small and basic and what ou can expec for a 3 star. The beds were extremely uncomfortbale. The matresses were ver cheap and basic. Room were cleaned very day but sheets and towels not changed.

Dining Rom - Well what can I say. Staff ork very hard to ensre you have a table as quickly as possible, but Ive never seen a queue so big, I waited 1/2hr to reach hot plates. Dining room is small and food isnt fanatstic bt theres always someting edible. Onething which i not acceptable no mater what star the hotel is, is te cackroaches running out from kitchen. I seen this twice in the week I was there.

Pool - Very small, you'l be lucky to get a sunbed, roughl 40 beds for whole hotel.. Big let down. Beach is close by which is a bonus. Pool is clean but Im sure it could be improved.

Bar - 1 bar for the hotel which was usually run by 1 member of staff at a time. This meant big queues. The snacks through the day were sandwiches and ppcorn. Ive ben AI before and ususally there is more than that, but we survived.

Overall the hygiene in the hotel isnt great, I placed a pizza box in bin in corridor and it lay there for 4 days. Bins were always overflowing. The carpet from reception downstairs to bar is filthy and def needs replaced. We had a small carpetted area on way to room, whch wasnt hovered all week and it was disgusting. That neds to be addressed. 6 out of our party came down with a vomitting bug,which we didnt attribute to the hotel as we know the island has virus a the moment which is supposed to be coming from a water parsite and the hotel with the aquapark has been hit badly. We tried to tell the lady at reception (older lady, white hir with gasses) that a few o the guests were ill o the pool could be checked but she def wsnt interested. She just shrugged her shoulders.

I know people say its only 3 star but that shouldnt come into it where hyeine is concerned. Coackroaks and overlowing bins are not acceptable. I think the hotel is understaffed. I ont go back, but I hope this review helps others to make their mind up and the hotel read this a make improvements.

Ohh nearly forgot. Lisa the entertainment girl is fanatstic, lovely person!!

1 Thank Dee7020