“Great Experience”
Review of Gran Hotel Son Net

Gran Hotel Son Net
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Puigpunyent
Reviewed 6 September 2011

Over the last 6-7 years we have visited the Son Net once or twice a year. This trip we were kindly upgraded to a suite regardless of which we would still have enjoyed our few days there massively.

You just arrive and start that slow gently sigh as you start to relax and feel very much at home .... mi casa es su casa.

The young staff are very friendly and enthusiastic, many of whom we recognise over a number of years - the true sign of a happy team. That enthusiasm and friendlienss runs from the girls at the front of house, the managers, chambermaids, waiters and waitresses and the real personality (Luis) who looks after everyone around the pool. All seem to have a love of the hotel which manifests itself in the really personal service received.

The bedrooms are splendid, so is the bar and so are the public rooms - but it is the view from the hotel which is spellbinding across and down an almost biblical and quiet valley with great mountain views - just perfect for "sundowners" on the patio. This is definitely on my "return when possible" list.

Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 1 September 2011

The Son Net is frequently referred to as the island’s true gem – and rightly so. Our family had stayed at the hotel for the second time in a row now and we can hardly wait to return here next year.

As much has already been said about the splendid location and scenery, I’d like to focus this review on the hotel itself but cannot omit though to add at least a few lines on the pittoresque view and the wonderful premises. Located on a hilltop surrounded by the magnificent mountains of the Serra de Tramuntana, the Hotel features marvelous views from the nicely decorated rooms as well as the stunning pools and the restaurant areas. The gardens are lovely and well taken care of. We had the pleasure of occupying one of the rooms on the first floor which was tastefully furnished and offered a breathtaking wake-up view each morning on the village of Puigpunyent and the mountains.

That being said, I’d like to move on to the true strength of the hotel which is its staff.

What makes the difference between a very good hotel and an outstanding one are, of course, the persons who run and operate the place. In that very aspect, the Son Net definitely shines out. The hotel is managed by two highly seasoned and skilled executives who make sure that the stay of their guests is perfect in every single concern. Likewise, the two heads of F&B/restaurant managers are among the most impressive ones we so far have witnessed and accordingly guarantee an immaculate and highly pleasant culinary experience each day; from recommending perfect wines to perfectly supervising the whole service, the two managers excelled thoroughly.

What applies to management, front desk and F&B is also valid for the pool area and its great bartender/general contact person for any concerns related to this section of the hotel; every inquiry or need of us was superbly handled by the man in charge. We regrettably learned that he was a temporary replacement – we strongly hope to see him around next year though due to his wonderful way of treating the guests in his domain.

Here, though, one minor point to consider is that the pool can get a bit packed over the weekends with visitors, and among them especially families bringing their kids along;

While I hope that these lines provide you with a good overview about the immaculate strengths of the hotel’s management and its staff, I think what emphasizes Son Net’s unique quality the most is the fact that we saw a number of familiar faces upon our return to the hotel – with the immediate prospect of us becoming one of the Son Net’s regulars as well (and potentially the fact that this is the only review I ever wrote about one of the places I attended).

Summing all these thoughts up, we thank the whole Son Net team – most notably though of course GM Mr Bjoern Wild – for two wonderful weeks which were perfect in any aspect and are very much looking forward to our next stay in 2012.

MI

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank MichaelBlank
AlexanderSonNet, Manager at Gran Hotel Son Net, responded to this reviewResponded 16 November 2011

Dear MichaelBlank,

Thank you so much for taking the time to write your kind and thoughtful review! I am delighted to hear that you have so enjoyed your stays with us. It is with pleasure to extend your recognition towards all our Ladies & Gentelmen who work so hard to anticipate your needs and make you feel home away from home, every single day.
I look forward to welcoming you back in the near future. Thank you again and I hope that this finds you well!

All the best,

Reviewed 29 August 2011

We travel to Majorca frequently but decided since this was the height of summer season to find a really peaceful location. We had dined at Son Net a couple of years ago and remembered the great vista as well as its convenience to Palma and the airport (about 25 minutes drive).

We were not disappointed. What makes this exceptional is the way the staff do go out of their way to make you welcome.

The pool has lots of options for sun and shade ... great tree with shade throughout the day.

We enjoyed the restaurant and also felt that the bar snacks available were a good alternative for a lighter evening meal.

The location is beautiful. Great hill walking nearby ... views over a beautiful valley.

At first, we were disappointed with our room (a superior). We had expected that there would be great vistas and instead it looked over a rather boring terrace. The door to this terrace had a big crack but this was temporarily repaired immediately by the front office manager and repaired completely the next day. But the room was functional and the overall services of the hotel so good that we felt these cancelled out that disappointment. But if you really want a great view ... be aware of this and check when you book. One small suggestion is that the "boring terrace" could be made more pleasant with a little attention to placement of plants etc.

Room Tip: looks like you are guaranteed a great view only with delux and above
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 1 August 2011

I go to Mallorca every year, and every year I am impressed at the diversity and
high quality of the places I stay, and the excellent food on offer. It is indeed a special island.

Although I was to be in Mallorca for 10 nights, and had booked 8 of them, I hadn't had much luck in finding somewhere to sleep for the first two nights. The Gran Hotel Son Net kept showing up on various websites as having vacancies, but I was a little nervous after reading some dodgy reviews I had read on here. However, in the end I had little option but to book, and I am very glad I did. Yes, the car collection service is a little pricey, but who wants the hassle of dealing with queueing for taxis after a flight? Plus, I suspect plenty of taxi drivers may find it hard to find this hotel hidden up in the hills.
Upon arrival at the hotel I certainly felt we were in for a treat, and it didn't disappoint. The view of the valley is quite special, and to eat outside in such tranquil surroundings makes you feel very fortunate. I certainly have no issues with any of the food we had in the evening, or the prices, this is now the way of the world. I only have one largish complaint, and one small complaint. The air conditioning in our room wasn't working, so our fabulous room felt very hot and sticky (as was also noted by a member of staff who delivered room service). Yet, despite me informing reception 3 times during a 2 day period, nothing was done to rectify the situation. And my second smaller gripe is that the phone in the room didn't work, and this also wasn't fixed. So if we needed room service, or needed to get any information, we had to go down to reception. So, the hotel not taking charge of niggling issues did take the edge off a lovely weekend, and they also badly let themselves down. However, I absolutely would return to the Son Net just for a couple of nights, but if they let me down again I would be furious, and they would definitely lose my custom. Plus, as good as this hotel is, they need to remember they have an awful lot of excellent competition for such a small island.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled with friends
BjornSonNet, Manager at Gran Hotel Son Net, responded to this reviewResponded 4 August 2011

Dear guest,

thank you very much for your feedback and taking the time to share your comments.
First of all I am very glad to hear that overall you did enjoy your stay with us.
In regards, to the technical issues I am really sorry for these inconveniences, especially that we didn´t respond immediately in order to make the necessary repairs. I can assure you that this communication breakdown does not represent the standards of Gran Hotel Son Net at all.
Please accept my apologies and if you are planning to re-visit please feel free to contact me directly for any future booking.

Kindest regards,

Reviewed 26 July 2011

The best service I experienced in my five day long weekend, Son Net was by far the best from the moment I pulled up to the entrance. The service was friendly and sincere. Each staff member we encountered was warm and helpful, they all appeared genuinely happy to be working at Son Net. From Francesco and Alejandro at reception to the restaurant manager and servers in the dinning room. One person really stood out. It was end of day, no one was at the upper pool and I was on the lower terrace where the jacuzzis are and a staff member who was deffinately not the bar tender was taking in the cushions, he noticed I had that look like I was in search of someone. He asked how he could help. I asked if it was possible to get something to drink down there and he asked me what I would like, got on his mobile phone and called the bar. Shortly there after the drinks arrived. It may sound like a small act but after nine years in Spain and a long weekend of service falling short of average it really made my trip. I look forward to returning for a longer stay! Thank you!

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled on business

Dear guest,

thank you very much for your friendly comments and for taking the time to share them.
I am glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us.
Thank you for recognizing our team members to whom it means the world when our guests remember their names and to hear that their service and attention to detail made your visit a special memory.
Please let me know if you are planning to re-visit and feel free to contact me directly for any future reservation.

Kindest regards,

Reviewed 19 July 2011

30 mins from the airport. Stunning location in the hills. Excellent service. Rooms were perfect. Restaurant a touch expensive but what the hell ........
You cannot fail to rate this hotel a 5 !

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple

Dear guest,

thank you for your kind comments and taking the time to share them.
It is nice to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and your positive feedback is much appreciated.
Hopefully, we may welcome you back one day!

Best regards,

Reviewed 11 July 2011

Can't imagine anyone giving this place a bad review. The service was excellent from the second I got there. If anything, it was too good. They didn't allow one thing to be not perfect. The pool service was great and everyone went out of their way to make our trip enjoyable and relaxing.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Puigpunyent
Belmond La Residencia
Sant Francesc Hotel Singular
Sant Francesc Hotel Singular
#3 of 74 in Palma de Mallorca
Castillo Hotel Son Vida, a Luxury Collection Hotel
Castillo Hotel Son Vida, a Luxur...
#8 of 74 in Palma de Mallorca

Been to Gran Hotel Son Net? Share your experiences!