“A fabulous week at a really lovely hotel” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Protur Sa Coma Playa Hotel & Spa

Protur Sa Coma Playa Hotel & Spa
Ranked #2 of 29 Hotels in Sa Coma
North Nottinghamshire
“A fabulous week at a really lovely hotel”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 August 2014

We visited the hotel with my son and his friend who are both aged 16. I was concerned that the hotel may not suit the tastes of 2 adults and 2 teenage boys but I am happy to say that my concerns were totally unfounded! The hotel is very friendly and has a lovely 'feel' to it which made us feel instantly welcome. It caters for couples and families of all ages and has the additional benefit of the extra facilities available at the other Protur hotels on the complex. The pool area was busy as to be expected in August, but not unbearably so. The food in the buffet restaurant was good and varied enough for a week long stay. The hotel itself is very tastefully decorated and the rooms are beautiful, far nicer than 5* rooms which we have stayed in during trips to Mexico and the Dominican Republic. The staff, in particular the bar and restaurant staff, work very hard and the customer service is very good. The manager makes a point of being available around the hotel and is always friendly and welcoming.
The resort of Sa Coma is typically Majorcan and has a varied selection of bars and restaurants to suit all tastes. We only visited the beach once during the day and found it to be pleasant albeit very busy.
To summarise, we all had a great holiday in a friendly, clean and extremely pleasant hotel and would recommend the Protur Sa Coma Playa without hesitation.

Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
4 Thank Sue S

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (349)
Bristol
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 August 2014 via mobile

I was really looking forward to this trip with my 9 yr old son. I booked it based on the reviews and the fact it had a Thomson kids club. The all inclusive makes it ideal for my situation as a single father.

Let me start by saying the staff are excellent - the Thomson rep is excellent and the rooms are great. The food is good on a par with many other all inclusive hotels in the med I've been to. Above average possibly.

The info that I'd wish I'd known and would possibly have changed my mind about booking is

1. If you want to use the kids club it's in another hotel - not in this hotel.
It's literally over the road and you would think as it's part of the same hotel chain you'd be able to use the facilities but you can't. So with me not being prepared to leave my son in another hotel I waited the two hours for him to finish - I'm not allowed to use the pool or have all inclusive benefits. I'm writing this whilst having a drink that I've had to pay for whilst sitting next to a pool I'm not allowed to use in order that I can be close to my child. I don't feel that's a correct state of affairs considering the money I paid to have a kids club facility with all inclusive.

2. At the pool bar in our hotel on arrival my son asked for a toasted sandwich with fries. I was told I could have the sandwich but would have to pay for the fries as they aren't included in the all inclusive !
I've been to 20+ all inclusive hotels and find this is the least inclusive of them all.

This is so very unfortunate as it's a great hotel - great staff , friendly manager and it's clean and comfortable but I feel like I've been a bit "ripped off" which isn't great after paying over £2k for one adult one child for a week.

Would I return ? No sadly I wouldn't .

Stayed August 2014
7 Thank vestas
Proturhotels, Director Comercial at Protur Sa Coma Playa Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 12 September 2014
We thank you for your comments. We are sorry that you were disappointed with some aspects of your stay and will take note to see where improvements can be made.
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 August 2014

We've just returned from our second trip to this hotel and it was different this year but every bit as good as last year. We had a room on the ground floor with a private pool last year which was excellent given our daughter was just learning to swim but this year we had a 2nd floor room and spent more time at the big pool which she loved. Couple of days where very few sun loungers free at 9am but generally not really a problem. We were originally given a ground floor room but it was right opposite the entertainment so asked to be moved which we were with no issue. The rooms are excellent and very modern, they're also very quiet and not once did we hear anyone in the other rooms.
We were half board again but we like this and the hotel are happy for you to switch dinner to lunch which we prefer as we like to go out in the evening. We did eat at the Tex Mex Grill and he Goa rstaurant both which we're good. The Goa restaurant did bring starters out really fast, well basically when we sat down along with the kids meal which we thought was a starter but they were really good and served her a full meal from the adult selection. We ate in the pool bar a few times and food really good and cheaper than outside hotel. Lunch buffet is good, only thing I'd like to see was maybe some tuna on the salad bar.
The entertainment is very average but we don't really go for that and prefer to get out and about, kids disco is just the same action songs as everywhere, could do with a 15/30 minute of current music for the kids to dance to rather than action songs.
We used the bike hire and went to the La Reserver twice which is really good value and great fun.
This year we hired a car through Protur for two days and explored, Valdemossa, Deia and Soller which was beautiful. We also spent the day at Puerto Pollensa which is great for kids. We had the added treat of seeing Nadal train at his tennis centre in Manacor.
I'd definitely recommend this hotel, it's fantastic and the staff are great especially Chez who can be seen about the hotel regularly and will always make the effort to speak to you and call you by your name. It was my daughters 6th birthday while there and they were so good to her, birthday napkins, chocolate birthday cake and a bottle of bubbly for us.

Thank you Chez for another fantastic holiday!

Room Tip: Swim up rooms with decking are fab but can't complain really about any rooms.
      Rooms
2 Thank pammyb72
Newbury, Berkshire
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 August 2014

I have just returned from 11 nights at the hotel and I would echo a lot of the comments made by Gary N, Stevev and pwilo.

I thought long and hard about this review before I wrote it and I wavered between giving it a 3 star or a 4 star rating.

I have based my rating on this type of hotel which I have not stayed in before (all inclusive/self service) based on my experience and speaking to others who have stayed in this type of hotel.

I know I will be in the minority but based on so many wonderful reviews this hotel was not as good as I expected.

We had a good start as we requested a quiet room and we were given room 246 which was great and we very grateful for this, the air conditioning is the quietest I have experienced..

The management were super but I did not experience fantastic customer service from that many staff and I often felt as though I was not the customer. The happiest, friendliest staff were the kitchen staff and the cleaners as well as Vanesa who ran the outside area very efficiently.

The hotel is very clean but no cleaner than other hotels I have stayed in.

It was very busy when we there and most sunbeds were taken by the “plebs” who ignored the 0900 rule so we had to become “plebs” to get one, the last few days were much quieter!

The entertainment for the children was fine and what I expected although the music at the mini disco was the same every night and not much effort would be required to vary it a little.

The snack bar is excellent and offers good value although the constant queuing for drinks is tedious but as I say I have not stayed in this type of hotel before so I adjusted to it as the holiday went on.

We were half board and I am glad we were as I would not have wanted to eat in the restaurant three times in one day.

The food is the hardest thing I am able to comment on as I thought it was quite good but not great.

There is a good selection and something for everyone but I found a lot of the main dishes quite bland although I appreciate it is catering for large numbers.

I thought the food could have been more varied and I did struggle after a week.

The deserts were great and it was nice to see some Majorcan food.

We ate at the Italian restaurant at the Safari which was nice and the Indian restaurant at the hotel which was our best meal although they do rush you a bit.

La Reserva is well worth the money and a great all inclusive day out.

There are lot of activities to suit everyone, crazy golf and the swan rides at the Safari were fun.

Sa Coma is ok and what I expected, English bars and shops selling gifts and souvenirs.

We hired bikes and rode to Cala Millor which was nice.

The thing that I was disappointed with the most which is nothing to do with the hotel was how grumpy and rude some of the guests were particularly in the restaurant and it is a good job I am chilled!

My 5 year old son had a fantastic time and I enjoyed my time by the pool so would I return, the answer is yes.

This would not be my type of hotel by choice but I think this is one of the better ones and it ticks most boxes for a family holiday although the customer service except for the management was disappointing.

• 4 of 5 bubbles
      Sleep Quality
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
      Cleanliness
2 Thank Chris M
Wales
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 August 2014 via mobile

Having given up on 'land' holidays and done cruises for the past few years, we decided to have a change and take a hotel based holiday.

We choose this hotel on the back of the reviews, on trip advisor and it winning the best hotel in 2013.

I have to say we weren't disappointed... We booked 2 standard rooms, as we travelled with our 2 children aged 14, and 17, which were next door to each other.

Our rooms were over looking the entrance to the hotel, and overlooked the private shared pool rooms which were below us, which looked small and was shared between 10 rooms, ideal I suppose for little ones. Next to that was a few superior twin rooms, which are separated by a metal fence stopping you getting through to the shared pool, and were looking on to a hedge. We were looking to get these rooms originally but they weren't available, and I am glad we didn't after seeing them.

Our room was more than amble, walk in shower, English TV channels, mini bar, which is inclusive for all inclusive guests, although we didn't find this out till a few days into the holiday.

Pool area is very clean and tidy, and sun beds are not crammed in, usual few people up with the towels early, but never had a problem getting a sun bed throughout the day.

Food was really good, and for all inclusive you have a choice of using other themed restaurants, book these early as spaces are limited, we tried to go to the Italian, but couldn't get in and went for the Argentinian grill which was fantastic.

Food in the main restaurant was good and plenty of selection, breakfast was busy, as expected, but no issue getting what you wanted.

Food is also served in the pool bar, outside meal times, like sandwiches, toasties etc, but you need to ask as no menu is available. There is a pool bar food menu but it is not designed for all inclusive guests, unless you want to pay for it.

Afternoon tea is also available in the pool bar area but again not really advertised, and you need to ask.

Drinks, are virtually all brand names, and no half measures either....

Entertainment, is a personal choice... But generally we were pleasantly surprised on what was on offer, yes there is a token kids club early doors, and the odd game of bingo in 4 languages.. But the main show starts around 9.30 / 10.00 pm and was always a professional show, not the holiday reps. Have to say the Michael Jackson dance tribute was fantastic, but on the little stage it doesn't do him justice, and it lost a bit of theatre..

If you are planning to visit the water park, book in advance at the clubhouse, we did loads of activities, and used the free bike hire service, and really explored the other local resorts and beaches.

Sa coma is not to commercialised compared to other resorts, but lots of little spars around, and general 'gift' shops.

The hotel staff, were all very accommodating, and pleasant and really do try to go out of there way to make your stay enjoyable.

All in all it was an excellent holiday, and very relaxing... And we would certainly look to go back in the near future.

Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
4 Thank sonsandbutler
Norwich, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 August 2014

Wow where do I start we returned from our two week honeymoon/holiday on the 19th Aug,
From start to finish we were looked after superbly throughout our stay, we were met on our arrival by the manager Chej and what a lovely man he is. When he realised it was our honeymoon he upgraded our room to a pool view and sent up a bottle of champagne, it was also my birthday during our stay and up came another bottle, on another occasion we had a wet day so he came to see us and gave us three complimentary tickets to the Biomar Spar worth 100 euros .We also noticed that he knew all of his guest names and would warmly greet them on a regular basis as he was always out and about the hotel.
The Hotel is ideally placed and set out well with good access. The pool has plenty of room around it so you’re not sharing your sun lounge with other families. The dining room is superb with outside areas and the food is to die for .We couldn’t get enough, superb menus every day plus you could even get it cooked to order from the Wok these are highly recommended. You could go to other hotels for your meals but most were coming to this hotel for their meals as this was the best hotel for food. If you are all inclusive there is something to eat and drink most of the day.
The rooms are very good, decorated to a high standard .The rooms are cleaned every day and the bedding changed every two days, drinks from the mini bar are refilled daily and the balconies are quite big
The evening entertainment was also excellent with magic shows, crooners, bands and dancers there is also an at seat drinks service.
All staff whatever they were employed to do, were friendly polite and very hardworking, a credit to the hotel. We had a good look at some of the other hotels in Sa Coma and this is by far the best hotel in the resort. We are looking forward to returning in the near future.
Thanks very much for a wonderful experience!
Mr & Mrs Wright

Room Tip: We were in room 117 this had a pool view.
      Rooms
2 Thank DARF-VEGA
Pencoed, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 August 2014

stayed here for the first two weeks of august.
As previous reviewers have said, very clean hotel with really friendly staff.
Must mention both Miguels and paco who could not do more for you. ricardo works like a trojan and always with a smile.
I read some reviews before going and was a little nervous about the food and eating situation. this was totally unjustified, the food selection was excellent ( my wife has an allergy to peppers and is very cautious with what she eats) even she found ample selection daily to be highly complimentary.
The only reason i did not rate this hotel as excellent is the location and distance from the beach.
The beach is a good 10 minute walk, a bit of a drag if you are carrying all typical beach stuff.
Also the facilities in Sa coma are quite crowded and local shops are pretty much all the same ( Tat shops selling beach items). we visited Cala mallor and also calla bona ( approx €10 by taxi)
these were much nicer and had more of a holiday atmosphere than sa coma
we stayed in a pair of the new swim up rooms with terrace ( well worth the extra money) particularly when it is very hot, you can lounge swim and cool down all within 5 metres of your room.
If you want a nice relaxing holiday and don't want to venture out to much, then this hotel is perfect. The facilities provided by the protur group and other protur hotels around this hotel means you can have a wide choice of options of activities which can all be arranged for you from the front desk.
We went for two weeks and were happy with our stay. had we stayed for only one week i feel we would have left wishing we had stayed longer, but two weeks felt a bit to long for us.
Have no problem in recommending this hotel to others as one of the best we saw in Sa Coma.

Room Tip: if you are able book the new swim up rooms, they have a terrace and access to a dedicated small pool...
      Cleanliness
Hipotels Aparthotel Cala Millor Park
Hipotels Marfil Playa
Hipotels Marfil Playa
#9 of 29 in Sa Coma

Been to Protur Sa Coma Playa Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!