“A wonderful holiday, can't wait to return!”

Protur Vista Badia Aparthotel
Ranked #5 of 29 Hotels in Sa Coma
Reviewed 13 July 2011

I never normally write reviews but felt compelled to write this one as we had such a wonderful time. The Vista Badia lived up to all our expectations and the facilities of the Protur resort were excellent. We stayed self catering as we booked last minute and the AI prices were extortionate, however, if we were to go again I think I would book early and book AI as it can work out quite expensive eating out all the time.

As mentioned by other reviewers, the Eroski supermarket is a godsend, but you are limited for quality restaurants in the area unless you like everything 'and chips'. One restaurant we would recommend was Cafe de la Mar (opposite Eroski) which does lovely bbq but avoid at all cost the B.I.A restaurant - the food was very good but having to wait an hour and a half to be served pasta and rissotto is excessive, plus the kid's play equipment was badly broken and dangerous in places.

We were recommended by our rep to try some restaurants in nearby Cala Bona - a short bus ride away, or a very long walk - and we weren't disappointed. We had some great tapas and the little harbour there was lovely.

I travelled with my husband and 2 year old daughter and I would recommend the resort and hotel for young families. Although there are plenty of daytime activities at the hotel for older teenagers I'm not sure the nightime entertainment or that in the surrounding area would be lively enough!

Room Tip: Ask for a high floor and you'll enjoy a large balcony and a sea view

Reviewed 12 July 2011

Apartment was lovely, clean and modern with a huge balcony overlooking the pool and with sea views. We were self catering so didn't eat at hotel, but did have drinks in both pool bar and hotel bar where staff were very polite. We ate out in several restaurants but by far the best was JJ's Restaurant which is opposite the Eroski Hypermarket.

Reviewed 12 July 2011

This is the first review I have written on Trip Advisor but I always look at it before booking a holiday so thought it was about time I contributed something. This was our first time at Vista Badia and was chosen because of the good reviews. I was looking for something that would suit our family, me and my husband and 2 sons aged 17 and 16. Our last few holidays have been booked independently, normally through Owners Direct - villa, flight & car hire but this year I wanted a package holiday - something where the teenagers could go off and do their own thing. We had 2 x 1 bedroomed apartments, I asked Thomson if these could be next door, or close together and we were given 2 apartments next to each other on the basement level facing the pool near the kids club. This suited us fine as we could keep an eye on the boys but we weren't all on top of each other. Apartments were nicely fitted out with a flat screen TV (including Sky Sports and BBC1 which went down well with the boys for cricket and F1). We went self catering as we like to wander around a resort and find places to eat in the evening. The self catering facilities were a little basic compared to what we have been used to but were fine as we only had cereal for breakfast and bread and cheese/ham etc for lunch. The Eroski supermarket around the corner had lots of choice and cheaper than the local Spar. Bathrooms were good with a lovely shower. Rooms were clean with clean towels every day (I always think this is a bit excessive and would be happy to use my towels for 2-3 days but you don't get a choice!) As we were self catering we ate out and went to bars around the resort so we didn't have a lot to do with the hotel staff but the check in team were efficient and helpful.

The animation team worked very hard and the younger children seemed to enjoy the mini club and the other activities. As my children were older they joined in with some of the adult activities - volleyball, waterpolo and rifle shooting which they enjoyed. They also went and played tennis and paddle tennis at the Safari Hotel and together with my husband went to the Safari for some golf lessons and also played mini golf. All these activities were included which I thought was really good value as I thought they might be extra as we were self catering. Me and my husband hired bikes (free) from the Safari club house and cycled to Cala Millor and onto Cala Bona where we went to a lovely restaurant overlooking the marina for lunch. This was a fairly easy ride along a designated cycle path and flat, although after a tapas lunch and 2 large glasses of wine it was a bit harder on the way back!

Sa Coma as a resort was a bit souless. It has a lovely beach (sometimes a bit seaweedy depending on where you go) and lots of big all inclusive hotels and therefore not too many nice restaurants too choose from. We tried Caruso (an genuine Italian restaurant) which I had seen on Trip Advisor and was really pleased we went - it doesn't look much from the outside but does lovely authentic Italian food and has really friendly staff. We also tried Delaney's which is in the opposite direction of the main resort on the road to Cala Millor (about 5-10 mins walk) not many people in there but we were pleasantly surprised with the food and they also had a pool table and air hockey which the 2 boys liked. Most of the other restaurants were ok but nothing to shout about, although Atlantic seemed better than than most. Most nights we ended ended our evening at The Kings Head Pub right next to the hotel - we saw a couple of tribute bands (4 Tops the best) and did a bit of kareoke, not really our scene but the kids liked it. After 12.00 the family entertainment stops and it basically becomes more of a night club and fills up with the younger generation - our 2 boys loved it and couldn't wait for us to go so they could party without us cramping their style.

All in all we had a good holiday and it suited us as a family. I would recommend the Vista Badia as a great hotel for young families. There does seem to be more German guests than British but this wasn't a problem for us. My only real problem with the hotel was the pool area, although the pool area was large and the pool was lovely and not too busy I didn't like the rows and rows of sunbeds around the pool, it felt crowded and this is not something we have been used to before. There were lots of sunbeds and as long as you didn't mind where you sat you could still get a sunbed at 10.00 - 10.30 but I did find myself getting up between 8.30am and 9.00am so that I could get some beds on the end of row so that I didn't feel too hemmed in! My only other gripe is that the hotel could give you a bit more information about what is going on around the hotel - sports etc. and how to access these activities. Hope this review is helpful - sorry it's so long.

Room Tip: Apartments were spacious but would feel a little cramped with 2 adults with 2 older children.
1  Thank kati01
Reviewed 10 July 2011

Just returned from Aparthotel Vista Badia and I can't recommend it highly enough. Very clean and recently refurbished rooms. ALL the staff very friendly, especially Wendy, from the cleaners to reception staff. The beach is beautiful and excellent for the kids. Ideal for families with small children and older couples. If travelling with older children try taking the tractor train to Calla Millor and try out the go carts! On an evening walk via the promonade in Sa Coma past the German beer garden and over the footbridge into Si'Llott. Has a small fun fair and lots of lovely bars and restaurants over looking the sea.
If you are self catering like we were you must visit JJ's bar and restaurant, almost opposite the Eroski hypermarket. Excellent tasty food and friendly English staff. Also The Royal Oak is good too. Have been to Sa Coma 4 times in the past 9 years and will definately return.

Room Tip: Email the hotel before you leave home and ask for a pool view on the 2nd floor as these have bigger...
Reviewed 6 July 2011

We just returned from a week holiday at the Vista Badia. We are in our early 30's and our children are aged 3 and 1. This was our first time to Mallorca and we would def go back as we all had a brilliant time! My 3yr old did not want to leave!! We picked this hotel as we basically wanted a relaxing holiday with our young children where we could go swimming in a nice hotel pool, be close to a lovely beach, and take them to a children's waterpark. This place has it all!!

First off, the hotel is spotless! The decor is very tasteful as they have just refurbished the whole hotel. The staff are very friendly and do speak english ( some of the cleaners do not but were very nice and kept our room very clean every day). It is very family friendly as there are loads of families with young children. The hotel is mainly filled with German families and Spanish families with English families being the minority.....but that didn't bother us a bit. Everyone was polite and were there for the same reason we were. The apartments are huge! Our room was very large with loads of room. They had a comfortable wooden cot for our 1yr old who slept well in it rather than those hard travel cots some hotels use. The kitchenette was nice to have with a fridge, kettle, toaster, cooker, cutlery, glasses, plates. If going self catering, 5 minute walk around the corner of the resort is a massive Eroski supermarket that has everything!! Its half the price of the Spar's on every corner in Sa Coma. We bought a great big bottle of water for 50 cents and 6 pk baby wipes for 4.99. The pool at the hotel is spotless. The pool cleaner should be tipped everyday for his hard work. I saw him constantly cleaning that pool and picking up after people around the pool. The pool itself didn't smell of clorine or wee. It was perfect! Its a lovely size lagoon type pool and has a children's bit off the side and another little splash pool for toddlers. There is also a bar next to the pool for lunch. The sandwiches were yummy! At night, the entertainment was ok. We didn't stay to watch all of it most nights as we like to walk around Sa Coma. But it is watchable and the children love to dance to the music. The food at the hotel is amazing!! We went half board, which is plenty, but would def consider all inclusive next time. Those who go self catering, b/c of the Eroski right next to the resort, you can't go wrong!! Def a great hotel for all three choices. The buffet at breakfast and at night was superb! There are loads to choose from for all the picky eaters. The dinners had a fantastic salad bar, fruit bar with cheeses and breads. The grill bar was so delicious! They had so much to choose from and even grilled vegetables which is my favorite! My husband LOVED the grilled kebabs!! They had pasta for my 1yr old where you could choose which sauces you prefered. And the desert bar was amazing too! Different ice cream choices and cakes galore. In all my whole family never went hungry and we give the chefs 2 thumbs up! I can see though how it would be repetitive if you were staying 2 weeks but the food does taste fantastic.

As for the area, Sa Coma is not very big but has plenty to do. They have lots of places to eat out and even a couple of british type bars that serve english food. One place around the corner of the hotel is The King's Head. They have tribute bands that play every other night. The good ones we enjoyed were The Beatles, The 4 Tops, and Lady Gaga. They also showed the boxing match b/w Hayes and Klitchko and Wimbledon final. Its a great little place. I did find the drinks at the hotel bar were much cheaper than at the bars outside the hotel by 3 euros, so drink up a bit b/f you head out. The beach in Sa Coma is stunning!! Exactly what we wanted, white sands, crystal clear with light blue water. The water is shallow enough for children to walk out a bit so I find it very safe. There arn't many sellers on the beach either so no one to bother you. To rent a tiki cover and 1 sunlounger was 9 euros for the whole day and you could move down the beach and switch to another one if desired as long as you had your ticket. All the shops around the area sell every type of water float or child armbands or sandbuckets for the beach, so if you forget something or want to buy some, you can find what your looking for.

And finally the resort activities- many of them! You can rent bikes, play volleyball, go to the waterpark, or the paradis park, archery, tennis, spa. Take your pick! We chose to do the La Reserva waterpark one day and b/c we were halfboard it only cost us 30 euros in total for the day. It is differently priced for the all inclusive and self caterers but not that much. The waterpark is not very big and more for children but it was perfect for us. The children area was brilliant with loads of little slides for them to enjoy. The huge lagoon pool is lovely and not very deep so can swim or hold your little ones through the waterfalls or around the pool. The bigger slides are off to one side ( only 2) the white one is a bit slow so you can take your toddlers down it if you desire. The orange one is a bit faster but we still took our 3yr old down it and she loved it! The waterpark serves food and drink for free but its at given times so check the times when you arrive. We thought the food was good and they serve it as a buffet. The other thing we did on the resort was the Paradis Park. That was a brilliant park and it has everything!! It is free to enter but you do have to pay a euro for certain little rides for the little ones. The race track can be used for 3yrs and up, its a euro to ride. My 3yr old enjoyed that. There is a beautiful, huge wooden castle there with slides down the sides. And there is a small water area with water slides for the children ( thats free). My children didn't want to leave, they loved that place!!!

The only negatives I can think of is the Thompson rep at hotel was useless! I never saw her once and only got a little note through the door from her. We had a mix up with our transport to the Pirate show and we couldn't get a hold of her as she left no number. I had to call our agent back home and she sorted it out for us. Thats basically it! No complaints!

I hope i gave you a little insight on what the place is like and if your thinking on going then just book it!! You'll enjoy it as much as we did!!! Two days back in England and we want to go back!!! HA!

Room Tip: Pool view- left side of pool as you get the sun. Ground floor has the bigger balconies. Room 019 we...
1  Thank hottmalee
Reviewed 5 July 2011

We stayed here for 8 nights having booked direct with the hotel and flew cheaply with Ryanair. The hotel was excellent for us with 2 small boys. Very clean, great organised activities for the children if they are outgoing (ours weren't really!). They did enjoy Proty's birthday party though and both had faces painted. There is so much to do, Paradise Park (free) has playground, trampolines and a couple of water slides - we were there alot! We also had a day at La Reserva waterpark at the back of the complex with all food and drink all day for around £20, great value. I did have a look round the Safari Park hotel as this was one of my options when I looked at booking, but so glad we chose Vista Badia as it is much smaller, quieter and low-key but with all the same perks. I think Safari Park is a Thomson platinum hotel, but I would choose Vista Badia for my family every time.
The beach is an easy walk (past lots of horses which you can pay to ride) and is great for children. lovely sand and shallow water. In summary, great hotel, lovely food, civilised atmosphere (we've been to some AI hotels which have definitely not been!).

Tip -take a dish cloth and kitchen wipes for your kitchenette area, this was the only part of the room that our maid didn't clean each time.

Room Tip: top Tip - put light sleepers in the bedroom area
  • Stayed: June 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 30 June 2011

We came back from staying at the Vista Badia on the 26th June 2011 and much as the place itself is clean and the grounds are beautifully kept our check in experience at reception and ensuing farce with both the hotel and the Thomson rep not having us down as coming in the first place has been enough to put us off going back.
Our flight was 4 hours delayed so we were late getting there...that in itself wasnt a problem as we know that this can happen but when we got to the Vista Badia and gave our names the receptionist Wendy (she's British) went through her list and we didnt seem to be on it.
She asked for our booking form from Thomson which we produced and off she went into the office. She came out a few minutes later and told us we were actually supposed to be there the day before....erm..no Wendy we were not.
She told us our room had already been taken and she would have to find something for us....which she did.
I knew from then that something was going to be off about the whole experience.
I asked her if i could verify when we were due to check out as i had arranged for a late check out when i booked the holiday with Thomsons as i wanted to keep the room a bit longer.
She said no...that was not the hotels policy and Thomsons should not have said that and if it was a problem(which it actually was) then i should take it up with Thomsons.
Quite simply she wasn't interested or concerned and in all the holidays i've had this without a doubt is the worst check in at accomodation experience i've ever had.
All i wanted to do at that point was see a rep to get it sorted but it was too early in the morning for that.
One of our party saw the rep,Ellen later that morning and explained the situation and she said she would sort it out.....she didn't..at all.
We were told that we had to be out of the room at 12.....which for us was still a full day of our holiday and no amount of explaining that we were not due to leave until the early hours was listened to.
We spoke to her every day and got nowhere...problem being she never got back to us on anything apart from the first morning when we got a phone call from her and a note under the apartment door.
Every other day we had to go to her.
Even right up to the hour before we were told we had to be out of the room she told us there was nothing available for us even though we were still telling her we should still be in the room as it was still part of our last day.
We went to the Thomson desk again just before 12 and she still said she couldnt help us.
She said she would have a word again at reception.
This time we all followed her because i honestly believe if we didn't we would have been out.
Wendy ...the receptionist we met on the first morning was there and looked up a list she had and told us we should still be in our room as she had us down as not leaving till the next day.
Confused?.......so were we.
Yet only an hour earlier Ellen the rep was telling us we had to go as she couldnt find any other accomodation for us.
Wendy the receptionist was blaming Thomsons.
Ellen the rep i think was running to the reception desk a bit too much and not communicating with Thomsons.
I absolutely appreciate that the rep had more than us to contend with but getting put out of a room a day early is i think quite a serious issue.
We called the Thomson helpline and explained the situation and told the rep she was to get back to them....whether she did it or not we don't know.
We even called the Thomson holiday shop we booked the holiday in and i'm 100% sure they are not to blame.
This whole thing overshadowed the holiday...Lets face it i'll bet theres not a lot of people standing at reception,cases packed the day before you are due to leave only to be told all of a sudden "Oh...you should still be in your room".
I have been on many holidays before where there is a very late checkout/early morning flight and i have never,ever been told i had to be out the room by 12.
It was a farce.
The Aparthotel itself is lovely and credit where credit is due is immaculately kept..the gardens were gorgeous and there was honestly not anything about the building or grounds i can fault.
The room we were allocated turned out to be a little gem and suited us fine.
The Vista Badia is part of a large complex made up of separate Aparthotels.
We ...if you have read this far went with Thomsons and had a child in the party.
Do not book the Vista Badia if you want your child in a kids club but want to remain close by to them.
The kids club is actually in the opposite Safari Park....which is very close but as you are asked to use the facilities of the hotel you have booked it creates a dilemma.
We decided not to use the kids clubs this time as it was a case of so near yet so far.
Having been to Sa Coma 4 times before there is a cracking hotel solely for Thomson customers where you can be close by your kids.
The apartment we had was superb and if i had to be really picky i would say the only annoying thing was the constant sound of what sounded like a bath draining.
We were out most of the time so it wasnt a major issue but when we were in the apartment we were very aware of it.
All windows and doors were very secure.
The hotel asks that you dont leave towels etc draped on the balcony but it didnt seem to be an issue to be honest.
We did it and we saw others doing it.
We were self catering and the kitchen/dining set up was very adequate,clean and had everything we required.
The apartment itself was spacious and the bedroom was a good size.
The shower was great and the bath was deep...both a plus.
The location was good..central and very close to the beach,Eroski(large,main supermarket), and Kings Head for night time entertainment/meals if you are not all inclusive.
We didn't book all inclusive but i'm glad we didn't.
We spent one night within the hotel to see what the entertainment had to offer and i'm glad we didn't go all inclusive......it was dire.
We spoke to people who were all inclusive and they said the food was very basic,and the cheapest of ingredients and very disappointing.
They also said the entertainment was extremely poor and geared towards the German clientele.
That is true...it was.
The Vista Badia IS 85% German preferred.
We as a family party didn't mind that as we spoke to and got on great with a lot of German holidaymakers BUT we were self catering so could go out and do our own thing but the entertainment at night was horrendously bad within the hotel itself.
What did i like the best?...In the Vista Badia there was nothing memorable
Getting out in Sa Coma and walking around was great.
The local open top bus ride was great...take your kids on it...they will love it... and steer clear of all inclusive in the Vista Badia because if you are a UK holidaymaker you will be a captive audience in a German preferred aparthotel.

Room Tip: Dont book with Thomsons.and try and get past Wendy
  • Stayed: June 2011, travelled with family