“"All inclusive is not worth the money"”

Hipotels Coma Gran Aparthotel
Ranked #6 of 28 Hotels in Sa Coma
Reviewed 16 August 2014

Have just returned from a family 2 week holiday at Sa Coma Gran. We arrived at hotel the early hours of Wenesday morning. First impressions of hotel very nice and clean. The next morning after a few hours sleep we decided to head to the pool around 9.30am. We were very frustrated to find that there was not a single sunbed free insight. We found out that people are up as early as 6am to claim their favourite spots and put their towels down. some inconsiderate people would not return to them until the afternoon as they would go to the beach. This made us quite angry. We spoke to the hotel manager and expressed our frustrations. We told him that we had been to other hotels where staff actually removed towels if they had been left on sun beds for more than 2 hours. He said that he did not "want to upset his guests and cause arguments". As a hotel manager I thought his attitude was very bad. In the end we ended up setting our clocks every morning for 6am so that we would be guaranteed a bed. Not something you should really have to do when you're on holiday. so thats just one of the reasons I will never return to this hotel.
The pool is not very big, the photo in the Thomson brochure is deceiving. It gets very busy so if you are a family that like to do lots of swimming, either have a swim early in the morning or go to the beach as during the day you won't be able to move. Kids put lilos and boats in the pool or you end up getting balls in your face.
Now on to the food. Breakfast and evening meal is served in the restaurant, lots of different options and on the whole very nice. Lunchtime food was served as a poolside snack. One set menu for every day. I have to say say the food was tasteless and not enjoyable at all. I have been to several all inclusive hotels and every one opens their restaurants at lunchtimes. The snack bar lunch is a cheaper option for the hotel to save money Also found some of the staff miserable, blunt and rude.
The All inclusive drinks are watered down or just a very low volume in alcohol. Ended up buying wine from the local shop to put on our table in the evening. Having paid for all inclusive I am now paying out more. One evening I asked for 2 pina coladas. I was told "sorry lady,the machine is broken, you can have one tomorrow." After I returned to my table I noticed that people who were not all inclusive were ordering cocktails at the bar. When I went back to the barman and said " How come you are serving cocktails to paying guests?" He was annoyed that I had seen this and in the end asked me "ok. What do you want then." which was said in not a very friendly manor. The cocktail was then served with no fruit or decoration unlike the cocktails that were served to paying customers which had fruit and umbrellas in them. We did try the all inclusive cocktails again the next day and they still didn't bother putting anything in them, so you couldn't really call it a cocktail.
This hotel only has a very small bar opened day and night, which serves the kids ice creams as well. It becomes very busy at times. They do have another bar inside but that never opened at all. Once again this is another way for the hotel to save money for all inclusive guests.
While we were there my nephew developed a chest infection. We had taken out Thomson family insurance and had Eu cards. I asked one of the reception staff where I would be able to find an NHS doctor. I was told the nearest NHS doctor was in Palma, an hours drive away. The receptionist said that they have a 24hour doctor on call at the hotel at a price of 90euros. This doesn't include your prescription. If you've paid travel insurance this is not what you want to be told.
Since returning I looked up a couple of reviews and one lady said, that she had caught a chest infection and was told the same thing. She did say that she found an NHS doctor 10 minutes walk away from the hotel. So if you are staying here keep that in mind as you will not be given this information by the hotel or the Thomson reps.
Despite some of the negatives we did enjoy our holiday and would recommend visiting this resort as Sa Coma is a very nice place, lots of shops, restaurants and bars, there is plenty to do. I would go back to Sa Coma again but not to this hotel as the all inclusive guests are not treated as well as other guests.

3  Thank Alison J
Write a ReviewReviews (1,557)

Reviewed 16 August 2014

Had an enjoyable two weeks at the Coma Gran - the Thomson reps Paul, Ash & Shabba were great fun and certainly made the holiday. Child friendly hotel, but needs more sporting activities for the older children. Busy, of course, in August, made the pool a little unpleasant and sunloungers hard to come by (unless you get up at 7:00). Beds were terrible & air conditioning asthmatic. Wi-Fi in reception was pretty good. Wouldn't want to spend two weeks all inclusive as there is one restaurant - good as it is, it would be pretty dull after two weeks. Breakfast good, though. My daughter ate her own weight in Nutella!

Room Tip: Rooms at the end of the street facing corridors have huge, and I mean huge, balconies (albeit with n...
Reviewed 15 August 2014

Spent two weeks at the hotel coma gran 10th-24th July, the food excellent, , the staff, the hotel, faultless. Other guests were do I begin? Whilst we were there nobody seemed capable to close a door quietly, the surrounding area was pointless. Nothing to do nor see, I wouldn't bring my family to this area again which is sad as the hotel and food is superb. Would not recommend, we'll be staying in England next year with the English. ?

1  Thank Tanya R
Reviewed 14 August 2014

My partner and I went into our local Thomson travel agent shop recently to book a last-minute holiday for ourselves and our five year old daughter. We came across the Coma Gran Aparthotel, which had good reviews and was marketed as a family-specialist hotel, so we decided to bite the bullet and book.

There were a couple of important issues which I strongly feel we should have been informed about by the travel agent prior to booking. The first one is that the hotel is 100% Thomson-run, meaning that all patrons are British (fine for many people but not what we would have booked had we known). The second is that the studio room we were offered had sofa beds instead of actual beds to sleep on.

My partner and I were well aware of the fact that I would be 33 weeks pregnant when we were looking to travel. Had we been aware of the fact that we would be sleeping on twin (not a double) sofa beds, we would absolutely NOT have booked this hotel. My partner, who has issues with his back became increasingly uncomfortable on the holiday (largely due to the thin, un-sprung mattress on his sofa bed), as did I. Looking after a very active five year old when both of our bodies were constantly aching was not an easy feat.

On the night we arrived at the Coma Gran, my partner asked the receptionist if he could look into finding another room where there would be actual beds instead of sofa beds. The very pleasant Spanish receptionist informed us that any changes regarding rooms needed to be handled by Thomson, not by the hotel as the hotel is 100% serviced by Thomson.

The following morning we had a very hurried chat with a young, female Thomson rep. When we mentioned the bed issue, she said that we would have to speak to the Head Receptionist between 8 and 9am the following morning in order to be in with a chance of switching rooms. …

…cue the following morning and back to reception I went, yet low and behold the Head Receptionist tells me that she cannot do anything to help us as room changes and issues with rooms can only be handled by Thompson.

The following day (three days in), having tracked down a young, male Thompson rep, I was told that as the hotel internet was down, he could not log on to the main Thomson website, which apparently was the only way for us to see if there would be availability to switch rooms, so he couldn’t help us. He dismissively said he would feed back to me when the internet was working again.

The next day, having received no word from the aforementioned Thomson rep (whose customer service skills required some SERIOUS attention!), I managed to track him down. He couldn’t remember me or my request and gave me a very garbled response as soon as the penny dropped….something along the lines of there not being any spaces available and not being able to help.

I imagine you may have become tired of my story now but unfortunately for you, myself and any future sofa-bed patrons, it does continue ….I spoke once again to both a (different) Thomson rep AND the Head Receptionist to ask if something/anything could be done about the uncomfortable beds (mattress topper, more bedding) in our rooms as my partner was by now hobbling instead of walking upright. Both said they would come back to me. I would love to say that the story has a happy ending but alas….no news from either party. I decided to give up. Utterly frustrating and very disappointing.

This was not the only issue we asked Thomson to resolve. We also asked that, having paid for 7 nights half board, we have our seventh meal on our leaving day as our flight home was at 3am, leaving us plenty of time at the hotel that evening. The same somewhat incompetent Thomson boy told me that the sandwiches which were in our fridge upon arrival (our Thomson flight to Mallorca meant we arrived at the hotel at 3:30am), counted as one of our seven meals. I summoned up all of my faith in customer services and asked Thomson boy if he could look into this for me as I was unhappy about our first meal consisting of a plastic-packaged, rather bland looking ham and cheese sandwich (which we didn’t eat - the appetite subsides somewhat at 3am). Unsurprisingly I never heard from Thomson boy again – despite his adamant claims that he would deliver a message to my room.

Add to this the 6am sun-lounger rush everyday, necessary to secure a spot by the pool if you want to make the most of the children’s activities you are paying for (which we hardly took part in…6am alarms are not what holidays are about in my opinion – all sun-loungers were claimed by 8:30am) and the abundance of British pubs, bars and English breakfast joints at this end of Sa Coma...needless to say we shall not be returning to or recommending the Coma Gran Hotel.

Overall, a very frustrating experience. Nobody appears to be in charge at the Coma Gran, therefore nobody deals with requests or even seems to care very much about the customers. I am afraid to say that the omnipotent, yet supremely elusive ‘Thomson’ isn’t up to the job of hotel manager. Thomson need to employ a competent decision maker who is present within the hotel…someone who cares about customer satisfaction and handles complaints and requests effectively. Also, Thomson travel agents need to make very clear to customers EXACTLY what the sleeping arrangements are prior to selling holidays to customers.

I have given two stars as, on the plus side the hotel is very clean and the Spanish restaurant staff were delightful.

Room Tip: Do not choose a studio.
4  Thank jobo_ono
Reviewed 14 August 2014

Returned from the Coma Gran 9th August 2014 went for 2 weeks, the best 2 weeks ever didn't want to come home, Party Paul, Atomic Ash & Shabba best reps ever, lots of entertainment for all miss party in the pool chocolatte & one pound fish stuck in our heads, roll on next year can't wait to return.

Reviewed 13 August 2014

Just back from a week at the coma gran & didn't want to come back do early. Never been to a hotel so clean. Our room 234 was massive and all the appliances were there although we were all inclusive so didn't need much. All staff were excellent, great service & smiles (especially Joanna). Food was excellent & a wide choice for all. Thomson reps made the hotel & were on the go all day & night. Shabba, Paul & Ash never stopped & kids & adults alike loved their energy. Would recommend staying at this hotel.

• Stayed: August 2014
1  Thank drp40
Reviewed 13 August 2014

on visiting the hotel i found the room very clean and beds comfy. the pool isnt the same as in the thompson picture since they have re designed the layout.unless your up by 6am to bag a bed you wont get a sunbed.the flower beds have nasty sharp corners that i saw a number of children stub their toes on.the beach isnt just out the door like the picture would have you believe but across a street and a 10 min walk.
the beach was very nice but on some days it was full of floating litter.
there are plenty of good places to eat just out the door of the hotel.
when shopping its pays to look around as a botte of coke in the spar was 2.5 euro where as the hypa market it was 1euro.
the hotel food was on par but the bar prices were far to high comared to other places.
the hotel has a great kids club which was a great help for a dad on his own.
the hotel needs a tv/games room for when your waiting to go home and kids dont want to hang round the hallways.
i would go back to this hotel in the future

Room Tip: buy euros over there its a better deal goto the caves for a visit and the local castle take a taxi...
4  Thank Carleton B
#1 of 30 in Playa de Muro
Zafiro Can Picafort
Zafiro Can Picafort
#1 of 39 in Ca'n Picafort

Been to Hipotels Coma Gran Aparthotel? Share your experiences!