“What a Hotel - not one fault” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hipotels Mediterraneo

Hipotels Mediterraneo
Ranked #4 of 29 Hotels in Sa Coma
Bournemouth, United Kingdom
“What a Hotel - not one fault”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 June 2011

The reviews on this Hotel are fab, and everyone is deserved. The location is right on the beach. Flat resort excellent for disabled and children in pushchairs (hotel accomodates for the disabled very well). Beach is sandy, long and wide, sloping into sea - safe and clean.
Pool - clean, large and tranquil. Toddler pool adjacent. Indoor Pool wonderful with jets and jacuzzi's.
Restaurant - food was first class with different themed nights. Although some food remained the same, each night had different dishes. Loads for kids, veggis and fussy eaters.
Rooms - fantastic sea views, catching the morning sun rise (no evening sun on balcony). Large enough and cleaned thoroughly everyday.
The one outstanding thing with the Hotel, was the staff - lots of managment around all the time, chating to visitors and making sure everything was running smoothly. They were all very customer focused.
The hotel is quiet, which suited us, our 4 year old was fine with the few other children there - However, there is a Club Mediterraneo, which is All Inclusive and has a great playpark and 2 swimming pools and has the kids entertainment team, those with children mainly booked into these apartments. However, you have the choice to use all of the facilities, so we just popped along when we felt like it.(200yrds up rd).
We never go back to the same place - but this is very tempting as it'll be had to beat.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank Jen186262

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (103)
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Stuttgart, Germany
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 May 2011

Below is my review about the hotel and about the location and time of year I was there...
Sorry this is really long. I tried to make it so you could skim through it...
Hotel:
Rooms- Our room was very clean. Nice large bed, pretty firm but that is what I like. Our room was on floor -1 so the internet signal was very weak... so much so that it wasn't even worth waiting for a page to load. Basically you need to go up to main lobby to use it. The hall way can be a bit load especially depending on what show/performance they have that night and/or how many kids running around.

Food/Restaurants/Half-Board- The hotel has a buffet breakfast and dinner every night. There is also a Japaneses restaurant and a pizzeria.
When I read in the hotel's information binder in our room, it said that the Japaneses restaurant is included in the half-board and I think you can have one meal at the Pizzeria -- double check on this if you get the half-board. Overall the food was good at the dinner buffet. I would not pay more than 10euros for it per person. They offered some of the same foods every night and than added some different main course meat/pasta. On Saturday nights they have a "Gala" and the dinner cost 23euros per person. We would not have eaten there if we knew this price in advance. Beware, the halfboard does not include drinks (even water) at dinner. They only offer wine by the bottle at dinner.
We went into the Japanese restaurant but you had to have prior reservations so we weren't able to eat there. However, the food didn't look amazing so we didn't bother making reservations for a different night.
The Pizzeria restaurant is only open 12:00 to 15:30. We were never around during those times so I can't commit on the food.

Facilities/Entertainment/Pool- The hotel has a variety of activities going on each day such as water aerobics, bingo, riffle shooting (?), there were more but I don't remember them. I didn't take part in any of them.
Every evening there was some sort of entrainment. We went one night to see a small band they had and it was a pretty good time.
We weren't at the pool for long but it is not as large of a pool as I would expect for the size of the hotel. There are a lot of lounge chairs around the pool but I think it must get very crowed in the peak seasons in and out of the pool.
Overall, the hotel was nice and we had a relaxing trip. This location/hotel was mostly families with small kids and older couples.

Location
Beach/Ocean- The beach is right out front the hotel. It is very nice white sand, clear blue water, and barely noticeable high/low tide. The water is very swallow and small waves (this could be part of the reason so many families with small kids are attracted to here). There are lounge chairs available for rent on the beach. A guy comes around and collects money (approx 10euros for 2 chairs for a day). On our first day, they actually started kicking people off their lounges at 5pm. There a handful of shops around the beach that sale (for cheap) rafts, kids water toys, paddle games, beach umbrellas, sunscreen, etc.. I noticed people buying rafts (you can get them already blown up) and using them as their lounge chair.
Weather/Water temp. at the end of May: We were here from May 26 -31. The ocean was still very cold (I think about 20C or high 60F). There were still a good amount of people in the water. The temperature during our stay was mid 70s. I didn't have to get in the water to cool off. I got in because it was so pretty and you are at the beach so you have to get in :) If I came back to here for a future vacation I would push it back a little later. There was also pretty much always a constant breeze.

Around the hotel-
Surrounding the hotel was mostly other hotels. There is another beach near (5-10min walk) by but it is small and not as nice. I can't imagine how crowded it might get in peak season when the hotels are all full and so little beach. There are a lot of little restaurants near by lining the beach/board walk. Most of the restaurants offer pizza, some German dishes and some British food. I didn't find a place that had some real authentic Spanish restaurant but maybe I just missed it. There is not really any nightlife as far as clubs but you should be able to find something going on... maybe just drinks at a outside bar type place.
There is a pick up point near by (couple min. walk max) for boat tours. You can also rent bikes and there are paddle boats at the end of the beach. As far as water sports, I didn't see any.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank AsquareIU
chrissy51
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 May 2011

have just returned from another wonderful short break at this hotel and can honestley say nothing has changed. I asked for the same room again 626, and got it! The food, the staff, the cleanliness around the hotel and the spa standards are just as high as when we were here in October. New restaruant manager Raull, very friendly and goes out of his way to speak to you as do all the staff. Can't say any more in praise for this hotel and the surrounding area....if it aint broke dont fix it!!!

• Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank chrissy51
Cwmbran, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 May 2011

A good standard hotel, on the beach at the perhaps quieter part of Sa Coma, where you can literally walk a few hundred yards to S'illott - my opinion not as nice as Sa Coma. We booked a sea view half board. I asked for higher floor rooms and this was accomodated. This is a very big hotel. In peak season I would imagine different sittings for dinner is necessary. there were plenty of sun beds availble aroubnd the pool at the time we visted (end April/begininning May) Food is of a very good standard. We were travelling with children and had 2 rooms both with sofa bed. When you pull out the sofa bed it means that you cannot go out on the balcony as the sofa bed practically touches the mini-bar and this then covers the full length of the patio doors! I complained and as a consequence the reception manager spoke with housekeeping and maintenance where they moved the mini bar and this solved the problem - could not fault them but it does pay to say something as if you have young kids and want to sit on the balcony when they are asleep this would not be possible otherwise. Rooms are modern and simplistic, perfectly adequate. Vast majority of rooms are sea view-you'd regret it if you didn't have a sea view and for us it didn't cost much more.
If you have kids then ask about the kids club that also serves the Mediterraneo Club (Blau also) as this has a play area, separate pool and club area which is on the other side of the road. We wished we had known about this sooner as this would have helped on a couple of days of average weather but our kids really took to a really nice lady at the hotell called Joline (from the entertainment team in the hotel) who was very very good with them (and us) and kept them entertained along with other children and adults for daytime entertainment e'g table tennis, boules etc. It was nice and a credit to her that the kids enjoyed her company and said that they had made adult friends also, from all different countries. Her english is very good. There is also another entertainment chap called Robbix who the kids also loved, his english is very good and he is a very colourful character, who my wife thought was brilliant fun. The entertainment is not forced upon you, it is discreet and this in my opinion is good.
Generally there are a lot of german/swiss hotel guests and german is often spoken to you at first but this really was not a problem as I was quite happy to say that I was not German and some english was soon spoken.
Would we go back - yes. Kids enjoyed it, good location and good food. Beach is large enough. If you want there are bars, restaurants very close in both Sa Coma and S'illott.
Slightly annoyed on final day as my mother and the kids had apparently had lots of alcoholic drinks from the minibar during the stay but this was retracted without any fuss when we made it clear whoever had enjoyed them was certainly not us.
We hired a car as we were arriving in the early hours and didn't want to hang around but the cheapes transfer is by coach as mentioned on previous reviews. It was a cheap to hire a car as it was for a taxi. I used Sixt as they supply a car with a full tank of fuel and just ask for it returned with a full tank. Beware - there are many car hire companies that ask you to also pay for a full tank of fuel when you pick it up and say that you can return it empty. We met someone who paid 90 euros for a full tank and there was no way that they were going to use this up and return the car empty but you then can't understand how all these cars are then empty for the next client? Sixt policy in my opinion is the fairest - they have a 24 hour desk by arrivals in airport and were good.

Room Tip: Just request good sea views
  • Stayed May 2011, travelled with family
4 Thank Morris47
glasgow
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 April 2011

We stayed at this hotel just a week ago over the Easter weekend. As any family with a young child, we were a bit anxious about the hotel and how we will get there etc. But from the time we landed at Palma airport we thoroughly enjoyed our time. We decided to spend the whole time on the beach and not explore the island. if this is what you wish to do, my recommendation will be to book the coach transfer on their website rather than hire a car. The transfer costs 12 euros each way per person as opposed to nearly 80 euros for a taxi. On arrival the check-in was smooth and the hotel staff were friendly and gave us all the information we needed. We chose a room with a sea-view and it was really worth it (See pictures for the sea view !!). The room was clean and comfortable. True to their description the beach is just outside your door. The hotel is east facing and hence offers spectacular views of sunrise. The breakfast buffet was good and in particular we enjoyed the grill and Juan's delicious omelette/fried egg/bacon on demand. He is a friendly guy and tried to teach me the Spanish names of the ingredients. We also enjoyed the dinner buffet and quality of the food was good. The local mallorcan/spanish cuisine served at their restaurant was excellent, and we enjoyed it.

There are plenty of shops around the hotel including a Spar hypermarket (There generally seems to be too many spars all over the place).

We enjoyed the indoor pool, especially our daughter. We also enjoyed Robbie's aquatic aerobic exercises in the morning, which helped us burn the excess calories. They also had optional Spanish classes and entertainment in the evenings. On the whole this was an excellent holiday and we definitely intend to go back again for a longer stay!!!

• Stayed April 2011, travelled with family
4 Thank galenscotland
Poole, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 April 2011

Stayed at the hotel for 4 nights on the Half Board option. The food and hotel was excellent and the staff are very helpful. Well worth upgrading to a sea view room as the view is amazing and very quiet. The resort is alot quiter than is nabour Cala Millor and more upmarket. Good idea to take your own beach towel as you have a leave a 10 euro deposit. Already planning to go back again.

Room Tip: Sea View rooms
Stayed April 2011, travelled with family
4 Thank martin190727
Portsmouth, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 March 2011

I stayed in this hotel for a long weekend with my wife and my family. We booked 2 rooms with sea view balcony. We all went for half board option. The hotel is very nice and clean, and very well equipped gym. The food was very good, best breakfast buffet I had especially their scramble egg and always champagne offered. The buffet dinner had lots of choice but same choice every night.
If you looking for a dining or bar lively experience I would not recommend this place, very quiet and mostly german bars with families or older people.
All in all I will recommend this hotel if you want to a relaxing break and want to be close to the beach.

• Stayed August 2010
Hotel Astoria Playa Only Adults
Hotel Astoria Playa Only Adults
#1 of 48 in Port d'Alcudia
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,994 reviews

Been to Hipotels Mediterraneo? Share your experiences!