“Potential to be great, yet somehow disappointing”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Sa Coma
Protur Safari Park Aparthotel
Ranked #7 of 29 Hotels in Sa Coma
Poole
“Potential to be great, yet somehow disappointing”
Reviewed 4 June 2014

We arrived at this hotel, to a wonderful reception. Checked in easily and entered apartments which had obviously recently been refurbished. They are clean, well decorated and spacious.
We had a lovely first day getting our bearings around the site, which appears to be the central focus for this and the other Protur hotels.

This is a fairly mixed review, as I look subjectively on the holiday - at the end of the day we had a fantastic week, but everyone came away feeling something was missing.

The restaurants were brilliant, breakfasts lovely, and we managed to go to 3 of the themed restaurants. The Argentinian which is in the water park and not extensively advertised. The Grill, which was by far the best and the Italian which was relatively disappointing. The biggest disappointment with the themed restaurants is the booking system, You have to be there (even on the quiet weeks) at 7:30 to get in a queue for booking that starts at 8:30. We witnessed people 4th in the queue that did not get into the restaurants they wanted - because the themed restaurants are open to all hotels.

The swimming pools are also lovely, but in the main area, there are seven pools - three small pools for non swimmers, one indoor pool and the rest have a minimum depth of 1.6M so unless you have a child who is a confident swimmer it is very difficult to find a pool - you either have to be in the big pool with them or they are extremely restricted.

Our biggest bugbear at this hotel was the level of activities for children. We are fortunate in that our children get on with and find other children to play with. However, the advertised (by Thomson) children activities up to 12 years old is a fallacy. There were a couple of token "detective or pirate" hunts that were basically insulting to my children's intelligence. What they wanted was to get on the football field and have a game or play table tennis, yet the only organised activity for this was at 3 o'clock predominantly for each travel company rep to show off their skills at which point any children on the court/table were unceremoniously kicked off. My daughter who plays table tennis well was even told by a rep she wasn't allowed to join in "in case someone broke her finger" with a shot.

We were also disappointed here with the bar staff, most of whom were ok, but some as soon as they saw you were "AI" had a scowl on their face you would not believe. The difference in quality of drink between AI and payable is also laughable. For a cocktail that is free on AI you receive a ice cream dish with a straw nearly slammed in front of you, whereas if you pay three euro's you get whizz bangs, umbrella's and the works - it's like Del boy at his best - but surely that's missing the point? Shouldn't you pay extra in advance to get the same but not have to worry about it? We could have spent less, with better drinks and a smile at the bar - this is definitely a place that treats you as a second class citizen if you are all inc. - We even left tips to no avail....

All in all, we had a nice time here - but mainly because our children are happy to make friends and do things independently. It is the first disappointing holiday we have been on with Thomson, but their reps here definitely let them down.

The title really says it all - This definitely has the potential to have be a great holiday, unfortunately there are so many little niggles it lets itself down.

Room Tip: The summer season was just starting, so only one night did we have entertainment from the outside st...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
8 Thank scpoole
Proturhotels, Director of Sales at Protur Safari Park Aparthotel, responded to this review, 10 June 2014
Thank you for taking the time to write a review.
We are pleased that overall you enjoyed your stay with us, we are sorry that you felt you were treated differently for having all inclusive but we would like to point out that 98% of all guests in our Hotel have all inclusive.We can assure you that all guests are treated equally and our staff take great pride in making everyones holiday as special as possible.
We hope to welcome you back in the future.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (330)
  • Polish first
Luton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 June 2014

We stayed here in Aug 2013 - small room but its only where you sleep and have a morning cuppa - We really enjoyed our stay here, there is so much to do and see - staff all friendly and would happily return

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
5 Thank Sunshine m
Reviewed 3 June 2014 via mobile

Just got back today from a weeks stay at the Safari Park Aparthotel. This was our first holiday abroad as a family. We picked this hotel as the reviews were good and the description sounded perfect for our 23 month old boy. I was very apprehensive going abroad especially in a hotel we've never stayed in before.

Wow, what can I say... Excellent all around. The hotel was spotless, the staff friendly (especially Martin the waiter), the facilities were fantastic - lots to keep us occupied. The weather wasn't too good but that didn't matter, the two indoor pools meant that we could still enjoy swimming and there's so much to door what with the various outdoor play areas, mini golf, football, volleyball, boats, bikes etc.

I'm a fussy eater, the food was lovely - lots to choose from. The only down side is queuing for the themed restaurants - my husband queued from 7.30 - 9.00 to book the Italian.

The rooms are lovely, very clean, very spacious. I was worried that the hotel might be busy what with it being half term but it was fine, got plenty of sun beds - plenty of space.

I would highly recommend this hotel to all families. I will certainly be booking again, hopefully next year.

Take my word for it, get booking...

Stayed June 2014
7 Thank Clairegeere
Worcester Park, Surrey
Reviewed 3 June 2014 via mobile

write this on my sunbed the day before we go here home.
We stayed from 26th May to 4th June 2014 with my wife and 2 kids aged 7 and nearly 4.

To start with ignore any negative reviews, my review is all you need to read.

1. One bed apt - Very Spacious, Clean, perfect. Yes had a balcony. Maids cleaned 6 or 7 times out of our 9 nights stay.

2. Food - Buffet breakfast, lunch, dinner, this was different each of our 9 days we stayed. There is the usual pasta, chips. Plus theme food, which was great. Desserts were marvellous.
Apart from the buffet restaurants there were theme restaurants , an Italian, Indian and Text Mex. I did try to queue up for the Goa (Indian) restaurant. But this was full.
The theme restaurants you MUST be there around 7.30am to go to a booth in reception to boom for that night. If you want Goa like I wanted and are at least number 40 in the queue done bother waiting, as these themed restaurants are shared with other close by Protur Hotels. So have a reserve restaurant in mind !!!
Other food places during the day for lunch and snacks occur at the country grill area, serving the usual lunch time food like burgers, nuggets. Also chicken and doner kebabs too.
There is also cakes and other pastries from 15.30 in the country grill.
Ice creams are Extreme cornetto, tubs of ice cream, magnum style ice cream, and chocolate sandwich ice cream (all made by Nestle)

3. Sun Loungers - Plentiful you dont need to reserve any (trust me)

4. Pool Areas (where do I start)
There are a total of 5 big pools in the complex and 4 little paddling pools. (0.5m and 0.3m depth), 2 of these pools are indoor and heated, although one pool I mentioned being indoor is outdoors, but fully covered, again heated.
My only gripe with the remaining outdoor pools is the shallowest depth is 1.2m, so difficult if you have kids learning to swim, as they can't stand up. But there is a pool OK for them on the complex.
There is 2 x water parks, one that costs (10 Euros for adults and 5 for kids), if you are All Inclusive. You get food and drink at lunch time included which is great.
This water park is opposite the end of the hotel, at the back.

There is also another hotel park called Park Paradis. This has 4 trampolines, play areas and a water slide and pool for the little ones. This is free and great for all little ones.

5. Evening Entertainment
Every Other night is a professional show, and also on Sat and Sun.
The other nights are performed by the day time staff.

6. Mini Clubs
There are 3, one exclusive for Thomson guests.
One for German kids called Solino
One for any type of other guest. This ran all week except Sunday where its closed. We used the club for all guests and my kids loved it. A special thanks to Darrin, who my Chloe loved.
This ran from 10.30am to 13.00 and then again from15.00 to 17.00

There is a laundry on site.
There is free WiFi (only in reception, which is annoying for hotels to not have this everywhere by now).

There is mini golf and see if you can spot the peacocks roaming about.

That's about it really.

Enjoy your holiday as this place ticks every box of ours.

Apart from that its a lovely place

Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
7 Thank pmalexander
Cheltenham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 June 2014

I never write reviews so I must have been impressed to spend a little time writing this review.

We (the family) booked through thomson and had a fantastic time, our family consists of two adults and three children all under the age of 7. I will not bore you with every detail of our holiday because that isn't what you want to read so I'll only tell you what impressed us.

1) safety, excellent and always felt safe and secure and more than happy to let our children play in the pool alone (obviously) with us supervising. Please be aware however of the room showers, theses are very slippy which my children and wife found out for themselves unfortunately. Please put a towel down to be on the safe side.

2)food, excellent and always readily available. The buffet food is outstanding and the variety and different choices of available was a real plus. The stir fry made by before your eyes by bing li is exceptional, please try!

3) cleanliness, excellent. All areas of the hotel are really clean down to the communal toilets which are obviously used a huge amount. Our rooms were cleaned often and the pool area is spotless also. A measure of attention to detail was observed by myself when I witnessed a cleaner dusting a fire extinguisher. That said it all really.

4) entertainment , this was ok. We didn't stay out late because of our young family. We did witness a few acts and although not london westend standard what do you expect. We went in May/June and the entertainment might of been tailored to our German cousins who seem a little more serious than us Brits. This is not a negative comment at all because we did enjoy watching what we did see.

5) surrounding area, who cares and why would you want to leave the hotel! If you have a young family and want a safe holiday with fun, sun in a safe and friendly environment then you will not be disappointed at this place. The staff are more than friendly and this is genuine and not forced, they ate a credit to themselves and protur. Come here and enjoy your time away and watch your family smile and have many happy memories.

Would I come again?? YES! If I do stay somewhere else then all places will have to live up to the great standard the safari park has set.

Have fun!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
7 Thank Ashley S
York, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 May 2014

My husband, three kids (three year old, seven year old and thirteen years old) and I stayed here for a week last month and it was fantastic! I would totally recommend it for a family getaway with spacious, luxurious rooms and there was something for everyone to do; it was great for adults and accommodated each of my very differently aged children. We all felt very safe and the staff were so friendly (special mention to the lovely Rachel and Juan who made the holiday to be honest!) Any requests were sorted out straight away with the staff happy to help (for example we did say on the first day that the food wasn't hot enough and they couldn't have been happier to help, nothing was a problem and they sorted it out straight away - the following meal the food was a lot hotter!) Perfect location, amazing amenities and wonderful staff! We will be returning next year and the year after that!

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
8 Thank Rhiannon D
Sheffield, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 May 2014

I really enjoyed our stay, the rooms were clean, tidy and spacious, very family orientated. I can't fault the staff, especially Martin and Rachel who made our daughter feel so special!

I can't wait to return again this summer!

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
#14 of 29 in Sa Coma
Zafiro Palace Alcudia
Zafiro Palace Alcudia
#5 of 48 in Port d'Alcudia

Been to Protur Safari Park Aparthotel? Share your experiences!