“Fantastic Holiday”

Ranked #3 of 29 Hotels in Sa Coma
Sunbury-on-Thames, United Kingdom
“Fantastic Holiday”
Reviewed 4 November 2013

I haven't been abroad for 10-11 years, I normally holiday in England, never really like the idea of going abroad. But this year I went, even though I hate flying I am so glad I did and will go again.

The food was amazing, lots of choice every night, always different. in the main restaurant: Breakfast was cooked, toast, many different breads, cheese, cold meats, cakes (Doughnuts etc), croissants, fruit, yogurts, cereal and even show cooking omelette etc anything and everything you could have for a breakfast. Lunch had the starters of fish and salad, the main of pastas, potato dishes, meat dishes, fish dishes and veggie options then pudding with lots of different desserts and there was always 4 ice cream choices, flavors like strawberry, chocolate, vanilla, orange, coconut, coffee and cream! Dinner was the same as lunch but on a larger scale with more choice with added extras including show cooking with meats, vegetables, fish and they even made up stir fry's on request! The only thing I will say that I wish the restaurant would change is the amount of fish they serve, I am not a fish eater and the starers were majority fish, the mains there were: 2-3 main fish dishes, 2 show cooking fish everyday. Some days there was more fish then meat, but saying that there was always a lot there for me to eat! The pool bar served a later breakfast with just continental meats and breads etc, fresh fruit was available all day, lunch at the pool bar were burgers, kebabs, chicken, chips, the normal quick 'fast food' type food, and in the afternoon there is where the cakes and biscuits were served. The ice cream freezer is located there as well.

Any drink you can think of, you can get here! In the restaurant with your food you have the choice of your hot drinks (different choices for coffee, tea, hot chocolate) Red, White and Rose wine, local beer, then the soft drinks of Juices (orange, apple, pineapple etc) and Cokes, fanta's etc these are all self service. The pool bar offers the self service options of the Hot drinks, beer and soft fizzy drinks, and you order with one of the staff that are always there happy to help any juices or alcoholic drinks you may want during they day and they are happy to provide them for you. In the evening the main bar is non-self service. What you order you will get the all inclusive local version of that drink (I.E order a baileys you get the local version, vodka etc) but if you do want the branded names you can but you have to pay, although they give all inclusive guests a reduced price on these drinks. There are 3 cocktails that you don't pay for plus one non alcoholic (which if you get an extra shot of vodka etc you can make it into alcoholic). The sizes of the drinks are extremely generous as well. You can take any drink to your room although they do ask you to use plastic cups for this to reduce any breakages etc.

What can I say about the staff, from receptionists, bar staff and entertainers to the maintenance team and maids to the manager, every single member of staff were always smiling, will talk to you and will bend over backwards to help you and make your holiday special!

The Receptionists (Claire, Dominique, David and Carla) couldn't do anything more to help! Claire checked us into the hotel, but informed us if the room was suitable for my disabled mum to go and inform her and she would change our room until it was suitable (but it was perfect first time round!) We emailed before we went asking about hiring an electric wheelchair, when we signed in a few weeks later, there it was fully charged waiting for us.

The bar/restaurant staff were always very happy to help and spoke very good English, you could have some banter with them and by the end of our first week (out of 2) some of the bar staff even knew what drinks we were having. Keke used to always get my mums coffee done as soon as he saw her, and take it to the table or sunbed for her, Kevin always knew what drinks we were going to be ordering in the evening and gave us a lot of banter. Javi would always smile and wave to us, even in the restaurant he would knock on the window and wave! To many amazing bar staff to name!

Our maid was very good and on 2 occasions we went into our spotless and very clean room to find she had made shapes with our towels. One was a swan next to the bathroom sink, and the other was on the side of 2 swans with their heads meeting in the shape of a heart.

The entertainers were good, Scooby was always playing with the kids in kids club, helping them get drinks and even going swimming with them, kids entertainment varied in evenings depending on what kids they had, but on 1 night there was only 2 kids so Scooby dressed up as protty the hotel mascot and spent a good 15-20 mins dancing with them. The entertainment was great! Especially Rud Stewart, The Beatles, Adele Tribute, Soner!

all the guests were very friendly and chatty. It could take us 5 minutes to walk through the restaurant saying hello or goodbye to everyone in there. There were a few families there that we were particularly talkative with but everyone was fantastic.

Our room had 2 single beds and a large wardrobe then pull across doors to close that off from the main room where we had the TV, another wardrobe, sofa bed, mini fridge/ tea making area and desk area with a large mirror, followed by the good sized bath room with a fantastic non splash tap in the sink, a large area to put all our toiletries and an amazing good sized rain forest shower,

The surrounding area was great for wheelchairs, no matter what corner you turned you were never away from a spar shop for any quick snacks you may want etc, 5 min walk to the beach, 5 min walk to the local parade of shops, with some very lovely items in.

Overall this holiday was superb, the hotel was spotless and well set out (even if the swimming pool was beyond freezing) Staff amazing etc We will deffo be back again! On our arrival as my mum and sister had been before we had a bottle of champagne brought to our room as a welcome back present!

13 Thank Jess M

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (478)
Sheffield, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 November 2013

Hotel very clean, modernised as said previously, unassuming from the outside but very pleasant when entered, welcomed by very attentive reception staff and was dealt with very promptly. The rooms where very spacious and all face the pool. We had a small child with us so the room divider was a very welcome inclusion. We unfortunately plumped for the sofa bed but not designed for a combined weight of 22 stone!

The bathroom was excellence, the showers are slippy but most frustrating for me was the 10mins mop up of tidal wave escaping from the shower tray, even a triple towel dam combo couldnt contain the flow. This aside the room was very good.

One more niggle before we move on to the food, i am a man and this may come as a surprise but i like to go down for dinner with ironed clothes, an iron in the 21st century is the requirement for hotels. By the second day i had discovered there was a laundry so i hunted it down near pool toilets thinking i would fine an iron but alas Lord Lucan must have taken it with him........

Food....i agree with previous comments food was of a high standard for all inclusive, i'm not really a sweet fan but they all looked lovely....steak doesn't taste like steak but the the breakfast was a very good standard.

Want to give a special mention to all the hotel staff, nothing was too much trouble and everything was done with a smile!

For the final comment and this is why i couldn't give it five stars.....i'm a sun worshipper i can sit in it all day.....in Oct the sun ranges from 10-4pm across various parts of the pool, and as said previously you have to chase the sun around the pool....i went for the sun but you wont find the all day sun here. The beach is a fantastic alternative, buy some lilos borrow a brolly ask for a packed lunch and get down there, 2 mins walk for the slowest of walkers!

3 Thank indiecritic
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 November 2013 via mobile

We spent the last week of the season at this hotel and really enjoyed our holiday. The hotel is clean and everything is in good condition. Food selection was really good at all meals and included traditional Majorcan items. Show cooking available with a wide selection of meats and fish on offer. The staff are exceptionally friendly and helpful, particularly on reception and in the bar. The resort is quiet and ideal for families with beautiful beaches, where lifeguards always seemed to be on duty. One day we hired bikes for 8 euros each and cycled along to Costa los Pinos via Calla Millor and then came back via the nature reserve where there is a castle and a cafe. Dont attempt that on city bikes though as it is sandy and gravelly in places. If you want a busier nightlife you can pop along to Calla Millor by bus or cab. Sa Coma has less bars and restaurants than Calla Millor. There are some interesting natural features on the coast such as a blowhole, great to watch on a wild day! We hired a car and reached Alcudia within an hour, the old town is now a market and there is an amazing Roman ampitheatre. Would definitely go back to this hotel.

Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
4 Thank AllisonBrett
Swindon, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 November 2013

We have just returned from the Palmeras Playa in Sa Coma. We left yesterday (31st October). This was a perfect week's holiday. The hotel is great. Brilliant location (just a few minutes walk from the gorgeous sandy beach, land train stop right outside, shops all nearby, and bus stops two minutes walk away)

We had a great selection of food for each meal. We are a family of four and each of us found plenty we liked.

The pool area and rooms are lovely and clean, the shower is possibly the best we had.

The outstanding part was the staff. Everyone that we met were lovely and very helpful, especially David and Clare on the reception.

As we were there for the last few days of the season everything in Sa Coma was beginning to shut down for the winter months, but I could easily see that it would be very busy in the summer as its so nice.

We would recommend getting the local bus to Arta on market day (Tuesday). This is a very good market, and a lovely town. Its well worth the short walk up to the church for the beautiful views.

Room Tip: We were in room 1603 which gets the afternoon sun, and beautiful views towards the mountains.
3 Thank STFCgirlie
Hawarden, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 November 2013

I would highly recommend this hotel to all families with young children or teenaged children. I'd recommend this hotel to couples both elderly and newly married, single parents and also friendship groups, large groups, small groups, small families, big families and close relations - the beauty of this hotel is the strong appeal to all types of people - I made close friends with males, females, adults over 30, over 50 and even socialised with children under the age of 15 or 10. This is one of the factors about this hotel that appeals to me - the variety, the mix and the people.

I arrived at the hotel on a Friday after a fantastic flight with Thomson. As I looked up from a deep sleep on the coach transfer I was shocked to see the aesthetic hotel that is Protur Palmeras Playa. I had seen images of the hotel on the internet but the look of the hotel from the entrance is very pleasing. The hotel's clean and fresh appearance, white painted exterior and granite flooring was much appreciated in the area of Sa Coma as some of the other hotels simply looked rundown, as if they needed a paint! This is obviously because the hotel was 'done up' in 2011.

The buildings interior is also very pleasant - to the left of the first floor is a gym - the gym is very average however, a point in which I would like to share - although, for a hotel gym it does the job with a treadmill, bikes and weights.
The rooms are also very nice. The television has many channels, both German and British including itv and bbc.

I would rate the restaurant food with a high 8 out of 10. The choice of food does repeat itself and by the end of the holiday I was fed up with chips! However, the chef is very good and I was pleased with the quality of the food and the food that was offered each night. British food is offered as well as some Spanish food such as Paela.

As I have already said, I mostly enjoyed the people, the relaxation aspect of this holiday and the staff at this hotel. All staff members were very pleasant with myself, my family and all of the other families at the hotel. The bar staff were very funny, chatty and made the bar area an even better place to be - in particular I thought that a man called 'Paco' was the most entertaining and had the best customer service of all barmen.
Because of the time of year (October) there was only one entertainer. Arron was very entertaining and regularly entertained the group at the hotel by organising ping pong tournaments for example. He organised the bingo and I believe he is also involved in the Kids Club at the hotel - a part of the hotel I did not visit. Overall, all staff at the hotel are pleasant.

Another aspect of the hotel that I enjoyed was All Inclusive - whenever I needed a coffee, a coke, a fanta, a beer or even a milkshake, it was available at the pool bar and the main bar. This is the same for most local spirits and the lager was Estrella.

The weather in October was surprisingly positive for the time of year. Although, we did have a storm on the fifth night.

The only negative comments that I have to make is that the hotel was very quiet, the hotel does not have Sky so if you want to watch football you have to go to a nearby pub - I would recommend Kenna's bar, a five minute walk from the hotel.
The end of October is the end of Majorca. I would not visit the hotel or Majorca at this time again as it is very empty and there was only 40 of us left on the last day. Also, shops are closing early, bars are running out of beer and there was overall a sense that we were unwanted by some of the Spanish.
The Wifi in the hotel is also very poor. It works, but I would like to see the hotel with stronger Wifi connection.

Overall the staff are very pleasant (bar staff, entertainment staff, maids, waiters and management), the area is lovely, the beach is very nice and the people that visit this hotel are varied, but very pleasant. The shops are nice, the food is nice and the you'll be entertained all week (especially if you stay in the summer)
However, I would not advise staying in Majorca at the end of October. I would prefer to visit this hotel in the summer months of July and August. The hotel was very quiet and the atmosphere was affected because of this.

Very nice hotel, thanks

Connor Maloney - 18

Room Tip: All rooms over look the pool, floors between 3-5 are the best in my opinion.
3 Thank Connor M
scotland
Reviewed 30 October 2013

Highly recommend this hotel, great food, great staff, very clean. No compaints whats so ever, ready to book for next year. 2 mins to beach and shops, Bliss!! rooms were lovely and cleaned daily, even had sirloin steak for tea 1 night.

2 Thank fifi030
Leeds, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 October 2013

just returned after a brilliant 10 night stay . The hotel is lovely and the staff are all very friendly.When we arrived a bottle of champagne was in our room swans made from towels and petals were on our bed. you can not fault the rooms they are huge and very clean. The pool area is very well maintained with plenty of sunbeds. You do have to chase the sun round the pool because of the design of the building this wasnt a problem for us but could be in high season. The beach is a two minute walk from hotel.We bought lilos and borrowed umberella from reception as beds and brolly to hire on beach are 15 euros. The food at hotel is excellant with a very good selection and cooked to a high standard. The puddings are amazing thats why we both came home 6 pounds heavier ! I would definetly recommend this hotel we had a fantastic holiday thank you to all the staff who are doing a brilliant job.

Room Tip: we stayed in room 1603 in block A this gets the sun in the afternoon
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
Zafiro Can Picafort
Zafiro Can Picafort
#1 of 39 in Ca'n Picafort
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,626 reviews

Been to Protur Palmeras Playa? Share your experiences!