“Excellent Hotel - sort the Sunbeds out Manager!!”

Protur Palmeras Playa
Ranked #3 of 29 Hotels in Sa Coma
Redcar, United Kingdom
“Excellent Hotel - sort the Sunbeds out Manager!!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 July 2014

We came to this hotel last year with our two children and enjoyed it so much we came back this year with Mam and Dad, eldest son his girlfriend and our one year old Grandson.
The staff, especially the reception staff and the Animation Team were fantastic and could not do enough for us. A special thank you to Claire for all her help and also to Esther who looked after our six year old son in the kids club all week and he fell in love with her.
We had a lovely room overlooking the pool, which was a really good size with a fridge and tea and coffee making facilities. This is also handy for if you have little ones and wish to go back to your room to watch the entertainment. Speaking of which, the entertainment was really not that bad, George Pena was Hilarious and had most of the people we spoke to were in tears with laughter. As ever the Animation team were always on hand at the end of the evening to finish the night with the complimentary "holiday dance" (Shakiras world cup song this year) Lukas's energy was outstanding and from 10am to midnight he was always on hand, getting people involved in the activities, not being overly pushy but enthusiastic.
The food this year I felt was not as good as last year, that said it was still of a good standard but the meat I sampled was quite poor quality. The Chinese stir fry chef needs to learn how to smile. I tried a number of times to interact with him but to no avail. He also used the same utensils for meat and for vegetarian food which was something the other chefs did not do. He always looked put out when I asked for a veggie stir fry.
Ok now the real downside to our holiday. Sunbed reservation. The pool area is quite small and space is at a premium when the hotel is full. The hotel has a policy of no sunbed reservation before 9AM. This is stated in the literature you receive and you are told at the welcome meeting (Even if you did not book through First choice, the rep does his meeting in the stage area with a microphone so it can be quite clearly heard) However, my husband gets up early and there was sunbeds being reserved from as early as 5-30AM but more often than not there was over 40 beds reserved at 7AM. As we are quite principled we would not reserve sunbeds before the allotted time but did speak to the hotel about it, who said they were going to speak with the manager but ultimately there was not much they could do about it. The following morning there was still a large number of beds reserved so my husband took it upon himself to remove all the towels and put them in a pile by the lifeguard station. This obviously caused some dis-consternation amongst the reservers but the following day at 7AM there were NO sunbeds reserved so obviously had some effect. Most of the guests we spoke to about this, who had been having trouble getting a sunbed were over the moon at my husbands actions. If the staff at the hotel did this every day and removed towels legitimately just before 9am then the problem would soon stop. The alternative being don't unlock the doors to the pool area until just before 9. When we were checking out my husband spoke to the First Choice rep ( We didn't book with them by the way) and he asked if he knew who had moved the towels the previous day and my hubby admitted it was him quite openly and he was given a warning (LOL). Given the service I had seen him provide during the week we were glad we hadn't given First Choice the extra thousand pounds it would have cost if we hadn't booked direct with the hotel. (My daughter hurt her ankle and his first question wasn't... Are you OK? It was... Do you want to fill out an accident form?)

All in all.. Did we have a great holiday?.... Absolutely. Would we go back... Yes ( As long as my husbands warning has expired lol)

Thanks to everyone who did make it a great week and a bit. and just as a footnote, you are treated like family, Dominique came out with us as we left to give us a hug and wave us off. Thanks guys.

Room Tip: If you are a morning person...choose block C and it overlooks the stage. Block A gets the sun aftern...
4 Thank moore68

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (468)
Northampton, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 July 2014

We stayed here my husband myself and our 4 year old daughter for a week 24th june, I had previously read the reviews on the hotel and was really looking forward to it. Due to the air strikes when we departed we arrived early in the morning around 3am to one guy on the reception showing everyone to the room. After a long wait showing everyone we were shown to the lift, after telling my husband he could only go in the lift with the luggage by himself he left me and my 4 yr old standing on our own at 3am in the morning in the lobby without telling me where to go on what floor until my husband eventually came back down not a great start!! Room was excellent couldn't fault it clean modern good view from balcony and we got the sun late afternoon/evening. Food was hit n miss for us really we have stayed in previous all inclusive and found the breakfasts were fantastic, here we found just catered for Fried breakfasts.. not alot of fresh fruit on offer pastries etc and they didn't seem to be very quick with putting fresh stuff out i had to wait for some fresh pancakes as there was two stuck to the dish wasn't keen on the self service of tea n coffee never experienced it before and wasn't impressed with making them ourselves as the machines seemed to have a mind of it's own. Lunch and dinner in the main restaurant was ok but i found there to be not much choice especially for kids the stir fry in the evening was nice but the wait to get it was a pain. Deserts looked so nice on the pictures we saw on here but found them to be not that great when trying them some contained yoghurt with some fruit drizzled on the top. Monday night they had strawberries in most of there deserts these were a great hit along with the chocolate fountain. Poolside bar for lunch was nice burgers, pizza etc and the Italian night was great hit for us we loved it wine poured, bread given pizzas made liqueurs, coffee ice-cream for our daughter hot chocolate aswell was fab and the staff was pleasant too :) You can't fault the location of this hotel it's great near the beach,shops bars restaurants perfect walk in the evening's or after lunch. Downside was the pool area unless your up at 7.30am to get a sunbed around the kid's pool you will never get one.. so many people especially without kids tend to sunbathe around the kid's section for us it wasn't great as having a 4 yr old she loves to go in the pool all day so we were constantly fighting to get a bed near it. Also it's a tad on the small side for the hotel and the guests, i can imagine in the summer holiday's it will be a nightmare to get a sunbed anywhere around the pool as people tend to move from one side to the other as the sun moves around the hotel so you need to be up early to claim your beds. Overall tho a great holiday.. entertainment was fab in the evening agree you don't get many all inclusive drinks but we weren't too fussed. Would we come back maybe not if they made some minor tweaks it would be perfect.

Room Tip: Block A gets the late afternoon/evening sun perfect if you can't get a sunbed
6 Thank samantha t
Liverpool
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 June 2014 via mobile

This was our fourth stay at this hotel with our 4 year old daughter and twin boys. We were greeted with a very warm welcome and this hospitality continued throughout our stay.

It is a superb hotel with fantastic food (something for everyone), service and staff. A special mention goes to Clare for all her help, Paco, Alex and Javi. The hotel is very well run and is ideal for people like ourselves with young children.

Cannot find any fault with it and cannot wait to return at the end of the year

• Stayed June 2014
6 Thank mymys
barnsley
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 June 2014

Returned 2 days ago from this great hotel. Agree with everything the other people have put. Spotless, friendly, meals are outstanding and the desserts have to be seen to be believed. The rooms are one of the nicest we have been to as the bedroom area is closed off with huge wooden doors so it is completely closed off. The bathrooms have a great shower and even a heated towel rail. The staff are very friendly and nothing is too much trouble. If you go at this time of year be wary that there is quite a few under school age children. We have stayed in a Protur hotel before and this is why we chose one again.

Room Tip: All rooms overlook the pool so you don't have to worry about overlooking a car park or to face a...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
5 Thank ospreysBarnsley
Essex
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 June 2014

We stayed here recently for the second year running as we loved it so much. Could not fault this hotel! Me and my husband travelled with our three-year-old daughter and my parents. The hotel could not do enough for us. My daughter has various food allergies and the hotel staff were happy to cater for this. In addition, my dad requires medical oxygen and the hotel assisted with this in taking delivery of the oxygen in resort and assisting when we had a problem with it.

The rooms are spotless and, when we asked to change rooms on arrival (we wanted one with a separate bedroom area and sliding door) this was done immediately and without fuss. There was also a bottle of bubbly placed in our room to welcome us back. During our stay, there was a small leak in my parents' bathroom which was fixed within the hour.

The food is varied and plentiful, the drinks are free flowing and the staff are really friendly. They remembered my daughter from last year and she made a few friends including Paco in the bar and Javi in the restaurant.

The animation team are amazing; not pushy at all but encouraging and we found ourselves wanting to join in (which NEVER happens normally!). We took part in aqua gym, darts, table tennis, the cocktail game and shuffleboard which were great fun. Lucas, Christina and Ester were brilliant and we all loved them. They do a great range of activities as well as the mini disco which my daughter really enjoyed. Special shout out to Lucas for his ping pong skills!

Would definitely come back to this hotel in a heartbeat.

4 Thank TamsinToenail
Halesowen, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 June 2014

We have just had two weeks all inclusive at the Palmeras Playa, the rooms were clean and comfortable and the staff outstanding, nothing was to much trouble. On our second day my wife had a problem with the rubber end on her walking stick. I asked the First Choice rep if he if he knew where I could get a replacement he arrange for a guy come in to the hotel and fitted one for us. Excellent service.
Two days later when I pick us my glasses to go to breakfast and a lens fell out of the frame. Checked the frame and found a screw had worked loose, so I needed a small screwdriver to tighten it. Went to the reception desk to ask if their maintenance man might have a small screwdriver I could use. The manager said leave them with us for twenty minutes and we will get them fixed for you. After twenty minute I went back and collect them fixed for me. Again excellent service.
The pool and the surrounding areas were clean and tidy with plenty of sun beds, with a small shallow pool for the children. The pool bar had a good range of drinks and the staff were cheerful and helpful and enjoyed a joke.
The meals during the two weeks were varied and tasted good.
The entertainment was OK, typical holiday type and the entertainment manager outstanding, really working hard to make sure every one had a good time, particularly the children.
Our only complaint was the tea and coffee provided. The tea needed two tea bags to make it up to UK standards and the coffee was low on taste.
During the stay we when on the free Blanket Tour and the Venture North Tour, on both the tour guides were outstanding.
What more can I say, our best holiday for years.

Room Tip: If you want a bed pool side get your towels out before 9:00am. They also have a good gym if you feel...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
6 Thank BillB65
Gloucester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 June 2014

We recently returned from a 2wk stay and had an excellent time. The staff are a brilliant asset to the hotel, all very attentive, helpful and brilliant with the children. All rooms have large showers, not baths but reception were happy to sort a baby bath and bath mat (as slippy for little ones).
The food was excellent, especially the desert selection! They served stir frys and different meats/fishes from the grill every night, you waited at the grill for these and they were well worth the wait but there was always other options (and lots of them).
The rep, Paul was around a lot and always on hand if you needed anything and also helped taking our cases to our room.
The entertainment team were brilliant too, they involved all the children who wanted to dance in the evening. They also made lots of effort to speak to lots of the guests, I've been places where they just badger people to do the activities but they weren't like that. My little boy went to the kids club once but they still knew his name although they only saw him dancing in the evenings.
The area is nice, beach a 3 minute walk and nice sandcastle building sand! There is seaweed but the middle section of the beach is clear so just walk along if you have little ones that want to paddle. Quite a commercialised area but a nice promenade along the seafront so worth having the usual holiday shops around. There was a big hypermarket about a 20 minute walk, just ask reception.
We also used the biospa at the sister hotel which was lovely and only 10euros to just use the pool area which was big with lots of different jets etc, if you want half a day out of the sun go for it! The taxi there was 5 euros so not much.
Pool towels were 15 euro deposit each and you could change them for clean ones without any hassle.
Unfortunately one of our twins had a burst eardrum and infection, the reception staff could arrange the hotel dr straight away (at a cost which we could claim on our travel ins) or go to the local dr the next morning (which we did). We took his passport and the European health card so the appt was free, we saw a paediatrician who spoke English, although the hotel receptionist had translated into Spanish and written down the details to give to the receptionist at the dr's. There was a five minute wait and a thorough check, better than our dr's at home!!
My only complaint is if we return next year we'll need two rooms as the rooms are all the same size with two single beds pushed together and a double sofa bed. This will make it too expensive for us as our children will be 5, 2 and 2 :( what a shame as we loved it here.

Room Tip: Block A have the sun in the afternoon, Block B doesn't get direct sun on the balconies and block...
5 Thank JustWantGoodValue16
Viva Can Picafort
Viva Can Picafort
#1 of 39 in Ca'n Picafort
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,615 reviews

Been to Protur Palmeras Playa? Share your experiences!