“Wonderful Hotel”

Ranked #1 of 29 Hotels in Sa Coma
Cleator, United Kingdom
“Wonderful Hotel”
Reviewed 22 September 2011

My husband and I have recently returned from a 2 week stay at this wonderful hotel. We were really in need of a chill out holiday and this fitted the bill perfectly. We chose the Thomson al-a-carte option, which included taxi transfers. (definately recommend this)
The reception staff are very friendly with excellent local knowledge. As with all staff, they always had a friendly greeting and a smile, nothing was too much trouble.
We had pre-booked a Junior Suite, which we do not regret, despite others being offered a free upgrade. The view we has was spectacular and we could enjoy the entertainement from the privacy of our balcony. Also the complimentory wine and fruit on the first night was a lovely surprise. Our suite was lovely and spacious with lots of cupboards and plenty of clothes hangers. Pools were fabulous (loved the thick matresses on the sunbeds) as was the spa.
The only minor downside for us was the food. Some of the food was not cooked enough for our taste, however we always managed to find something to eat and the puddings were to die for.
The resort itself was not as bad as some reviews suggest, the beaach is lovely and there is a wide selection of bars and restaurants to suit all tastes. It is definately a family and couples resort, rather than young free and single, which suited us.
All in all this was a fabulous holiday and I would recommend this hotel to my best friends. Definately 5*.

Room Tip: Ask to stay in Edificio B, overlooking the pool and music bar
3 Thank riellys
Proturhotels, Director of Sales at Protur Biomar Gran Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 17 October 2011
Thank you for your kind comments. We are glad you enjoyed your stay. We have taken note of your comments regarding the food. We look forward to welcoming you again soon.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (185)
  • Polish first
Ludlow, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 September 2011

This is a lovely hotel, with excellent friendly staff, but not 5 star. On arrival we were greeted by David, the receptionist, who is very friendly and joking, he upgraded us to a junior suite, which appears to happen to everyone. Taken to the room, which has a small sitting room with a sofa bed, a mini bar and flat screen tv, then through into the bedroom, which for us being two ladies had two beds, the biggest problem was privacy for us, as there is no bathroom door, so no privacy from the bedroom at all, and just a glass frosted door to the toilet. The bed I found incredibly hard after a couple of nights, and I decided to try the sofa bed in the sitting area, which was softer and I found more comfortable, so thats where I spent the rest of the week. The room was always clean and plenty of clean towels daily.
The pool area was very nice and quiet, with plenty of sunbeds and shades, but the biggest problem was no help around the pool, if you wanted to move an umbrella, which are heavy, you had to do it yourself, no help at all, no toilets around the pool areas, other than in the main restaurant areas, which was strange, because when wet from the pool, you had to walk through the main building to get to the toilets, never encountered that before. The pool was incredibly cold, when you first entered, everyone was surprised at the cold. Also for a 5 star, I would expect a waiter service from the pool bar, but nothing.
The restaurant was large and sectioned off into maybe 6 tables in each, but looked a little canteenish. The staff were lovely, all smiling and pleasant, and quickly took dirty plates and asked what drinks you would like. We were half board, and ate in the buffet restaurant every night but one, when we paid the 15 euro per person extra to eat in the asian restaurant, which was good, but not worth the extra money. I found the food, very samey, every night there was 'show cooking', as they called it, but was just a griddle which food was cooked on. I only ate once from that griddle and had a whole fish, which had been pre cooked and then reheated on the griddle, and was thus dry as hell and awful. The salads were good and there was lots of choice, Im not a picky eater, but each night found it difficult to find a decent meal to eat. Saturday night was the only meal I enjoyed, they had at last put on a paella, which was good, but the rest of the week the food was average at best, not at all what my friend and I were expecting from a 5 star hotel, we expected good food, not canteen foder. We had the house white wine, which was 12.50 euros and very good.
I didn't think Sa Coma was too bad, lots of small restaurants, and tacky tourist shops, but good to walk around and close to the hotel. The beach appeared to be OK, but nothing special.
We had room 120 in block A and the noise from the bar entertainment was very loud in the room at night, mostly stopped at 11 but did go on until after midnight a couple of nights, which was annoying.
All in all, a nice holiday, which we both enjoyed, but I wouldn't return to this hotel, as its expensive for what you get, and I think they need to improve the food, pool areas, and toilet facilities to be a 5 star. Im am the least pickist person going, but when I pay lots of money for 5 star, I do expect a 5 star bed, and service, which this didn't have.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled with friends
4 Thank Diane D
Devon
Reviewed 19 September 2011

We stayed at this hotel for one week for our honeymoon in mid September 2011. We had a fantastic time, and were very pleased with everything. Upon arrival at the really lovely reception building we had a really good feeling about the hotel; it is a spacious modern building and feels very welcoming.

The hotel has two accommodation buildings, the reception building and the restaurant building and two bar buildings, so no single building is massive or overpowering. The other great advantage of this arrangement is that the accommodation buildings have a very calm atmosphere, and not the usual bustle on the ground floor, that you have when the reception/dining areas are in the same building. The buildings are set in some lovely gardens, with two very clean swimming pools, and spacious sun terraces, all very well cared for and in perfect condition. One swimming pool has a bar that can be accessed from inside the pool or the terrace. The sun terraces have plenty of sun loungers and sun umbrellas; we never had a problem finding one.

We were ungraded to a junior suite for free; the suite was really nice, modern, and spotlessly clean. It consisted of a living room, with its own balcony, and the bedroom, again with a balcony and the bathroom. The rooms were all of a very good size, very nicely decorated and furnished. The only thing that took some getting used to was the lack of the door on the bathroom, as others have mentioned, but at least the toilet was in its own little room, which did have a frosted glass door. The shower was really good, as were all the bathroom fittings. The bathroom featured a bath, a separate large shower, twin basins and a toilet. The air-conditioning worked really well and was quiet.

The piano bar was open in the evenings and had live music on some evenings. We found this perfect and very much in keeping with the generally calm and peaceful atmosphere of this hotel.

The meals (breakfast and dinner) are served in a large hall, to which is attached a lovely covered outside eating area. Initially I agreed with other reviewers that this was too small, but I quickly realised that its relatively small size also made it feel really comfortable and pleasant, and having it any larger would have spoiled this feeling. We always managed to find a free table in this area, although we had to wait a few minutes on occasion. We loved eating outside, so we were happy to wait. The food is really great, very good variety, with a show cook every evening grilling meat and fish. There were some really unusual fish varieties, and meats, great way to try new things. The food was all really tasty and we did not get bored of it. We thought we might try one of the a la carte restaurants upstairs, but in the end we were so happy with the buffet food we didn’t see the need.

The spa facilities were really excellent and could be accessed through an underground passage from the hotel. The saunas and indoor pool were all great and very clean and well cared for. There were also lots of other things to do free of charge, including archery, mini golf, tennis, air riffle shooting, other sports activities, and bike hire.

All the staff were all really friendly and helpful at all times. We found the waiting staff very friendly, attentive and efficient, without rushing around so much as to spoil the calmness of the place. The food was topped up constantly so nothing ever seemed to run out. The rooms were cleaned every day, and soap, shower gel etc topped up.

There seemed to be a good mix of age groups and nationalities among the guests, no one age group seemed to predominate, and although there were perhaps a few more Germans, there were also good numbers of English, Spanish and other nationalities.

The only very tiny criticism I have is that the bed was made up of two single beds pushed together, and these were mounted on wheels that moved very freely, so they did not stay together. Next time I will take some straps to tie them together.

Sa Coma itself is perhaps not the most bustling of towns; it does have a lovely, long beach, with soft sand and clean looking water. The walk to the beach is either through a field or through the town, although this is a slightly less direct route. It takes about 10 minutes to walk to the beach. We went snorkelling and saw loads of interesting fish. We didn’t mind the town not being so great, as we ended up spending most of our time at the hotel, as there were lots of things to do and the pool areas were so relaxing to sunbath in. The cycled to the end of the peninsular and looked at the small fort, definitely worth doing. We also cycled to Cala Millor, which has an even bigger beach. This beach is also within walking distance, but a little further than the other one.

To summarise, this is a truly wonderful hotel, definitely deserving its 5 star status. It is perhaps not the typical traditional 5 star hotel; it is modern, calm, relaxed and not at all pretentious or snobby. To us it was simply the perfect hotel, and made our honeymoon the most relaxing and magical holiday we have ever had. We will most definitely be returning as soon as we can, and have no hesitation in highly recommending it.

2 Thank Al_Pasty
Congratulations on your marriage. We are pleased that you had a nice honeymoon with us and thank you for your constructive comments. We look foward to welcoming you again in the future. Best wishes on behalf of all staff of the Protur Biomar Gran Hotel.
Dorset
Reviewed 17 September 2011

My review is based on the fact that I travelled alone and I was looking for a short break of total relaxation.

Hotel Room: Paid a small amount extra to get a junior suite but this wasn’t really worth it for just one person. Obviously would make a difference if there were more than two staying. The sitting room was adequate with slightly smaller TV than that in the bedroom (BBC1, BBC2 and an iffy ITV). It had an ethernet connection for my laptop. Wifi was free but unprotected. I noticed other guests’ computers in my network settings but didn’t try to access them so don’t know how secure they were. Two balconies but the smaller one off the sitting room with no furniture on it so rather a waste of time. Larger one off the bedroom with semi-reclining chairs and a table. The hotel is not on the sea front so you don’t get a particularly good view. I could see the sea in the distance but below me was the carpark and the road. Very good bathroom with bath, twin basin, shower, WC and bidet; hairdryer, robes, slippers and toiletries (but no shower gel?).

Pools: Two outdoor pools, one of which is supposed to be adult only but both had children so not sure which. The central pool has a swim up bar and a Jacuzzi (full of children) but I found the sunbeds to be rather on top of each other so I preferred the pool on the far side of Building Two. Here you were able to get sunbeds and even balanese sunbeds at any time of the day. There was also a children’s pool and play area to one side.

Restaurants: I only used the buffet restaurant for breakfast and dinner so I can’t comment on the themed ones. There was a small outdoor area and a large indoor area. Obviously the outdoor area was more popular and at times I was unable to get a table here, which was disappointing. The food at both breakfast and dinner was excellent bearing in mind this was a buffet. At dinner, a chef would cook your meat/fish choice to order, which didn’t take long (just enough time to browse all the vegetables and salad). Wine was 3 euro a glass, water was 3 euro a bottle. I also occasionally had lunch in the Grill restaurant. When you request a menu, they bring you bread, olives and dip while you make your choice. Ham and cheese toasted sandwich, salad and chips 8 euro. Large beer 4.5 euro. There is a nightclub below the reception building but I think this only opens on Saturday nights and it didn’t open the Saturday I was there (3rd Sept) so not sure when it is used.

Spa and Indoor Pools: Excellent facilities at the Spa building next door although I got lost each time I tried to find it through the connecting tunnels below the hotel. Really good gym with lots of machines. One cloudy morning I spent the morning in the spa itself. You have to wear flipflops and swimming cap provided by them to enter this area. There is a huge thermal pool with jets of water from all directions, beautifully warm and relaxing; saunas, steam room all free to hotel guests. I didn’t have any treatments so can’t comment on these. Another point to make is that in the basement of Building Two there is an indoor pool which I didn’t find until I was packed and waiting for my transfer to the airport.

General: There was a shortage of information about the facilities and directions to various parts of the hotel. Which was the adult pool? Why did I not know about the indoor pool below Building Two? How do I get from Building One to the spa? The file held in the room was very slim with almost no detail. The hotel guests were a mixture of many nationalities but I would imagine the Germans were the predominant but not such a high percentage as other hotels I’ve stayed at. I could hear French, Spanish and other languages around me. A few English but I would have preferred more to have someone to chat to from time to time. For the most part, the staff were very good apart from one waitress who got a bit churlish because I didn’t understand the different types of coffee available at breakfast. Once I knew what I had to ask for, no problem! The hotel is surrounded on two sides by other ‘Protur’ hotels; the ‘Biomar’ definitely looked the best. If you turn right out of the drive you soon pass a Spar supermarket and then loads of souvenir shops and the beach, which was very crowded. Turn left out of hotel and after a longer walk initially along a grubby road you reach Cala Millor and a great promenade along the sea front but watch out for the pedal carriages, bikes, motorised scooters which all drive up and down here. On the way back I thought I’d go via the beach but this actually takes you into the Nature Reserve on the peninsula. A really lovely walk with great views and a bar buried somewhere in the middle just right for a cold beer.

Room Tip: Overlook the pool or overlook the carpark but with the sea in the distance
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled solo
4 Thank kpdorset
We are pleased that in general you were very pleased with your stay. We have taken note of your comments and thank you for them we will take them on board to help correct things where necessary. We thank you for your time. Best wishes on behalf of all staff of the Protur Biomar Gran Hotel.
enniskillen
Reviewed 16 September 2011

This is a great hotel with excellent facilties and superb attentive staff, we have just returned from a truely splendid stay at a lovely hotel with the best choice of buffet meals that I have ever encountered.
There are many positives and a few negatives as previously reviewed on this site, but in my opinion this hotel is excellent andwork booking, why?
well:
The overall impression is space, space and more space, open spacious communal areas abound around the hotel and it is so nice to not get that claustrophobic feeling that I have encountered at other locations.
The staff could not have been better, attentive, kind, polite and wonderful, well done for the management in training such an excellent team of helpful staff!
The food was superb, the most amazing breakfast buffet and a supert evening buffet with puddings to die for, the only drawback is your waistband as we found ourselves going back for seconds, thirds and more from the pudding selection.
The daytime dining option is poor, the grill is overpriced and has a poor range available and we sat down, looked at the menu and then left to drive downtown for a bite to eat at lunchtime.
The rooms are excellent, we were upgraded to a suite for no extra cost and the rooms were large, spacious and of high quality, two LCD TVs were available in the rooms and we got BBC1 BBC2 ITV SkyNews and BBC3 (through strangely there was no sound on this channel for 6 of our seven days!)
Free internet access through WIFI which worked and a couple of lobby computers in the hotel for patrons use were a nice complimentary touch also.
The pools, and the spa are the main draw and the free sports programme is a major reason to book this hotel, the spa pool is amazing and free for guests.
Overall a wonderful experience, and i disagree with other reviewers cause I RECKON THIS is A ***** HOTEL!

The only serious problem is Sa Coma which is not the prettiest Majorca location and quite frankly there is not much at Sa Coma so you need to go to Calla Millor or Cala Bona nearby for retail distractions as they are.

The staff make this hotel truely wonderful and despite the attitude of some of our Continential Cousins to the staff they remained courteous and professional, why do certain Teutonic European nationals have to be so rude to others all the time?

Room Tip: Pool facing room
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
Proturhotels, Director of Sales at Protur Biomar Gran Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 11 October 2011
We thank you very much for your kind comments. We are pleased that you have enjoyed your stay. We are sure that your comments will be useful to outher guests who are thinking of booking. Best wishes on behalf of all staff of the Protur Biomar Gran Hotel.
codicote, England
Reviewed 12 September 2011

The hotel was a last minute pick for a week in the sun with my fiancee based on the excellent reviews on this website.

Its a 5 star hotel & I should give it a 5 star review but, as I will explain later, certain minor negatives knock that final star in to touch.

I'll start with the positives, the 5 star positives. Driving up to the hotel entrance & walking in to reception gives you a good positive feeling, modern, classy design with top quality materials. This is continued when you walk through the complex & in to one of the two accommodation blocks & up to the room. We had a junior suite, which followed a similar theme, excellent fixtures & fittings throughout - all very nice & spotlessly clean. The biggest double bed ever, Sony flat screen TVs, great AirCon, the list goes on. The bathroom arrangement is a bit strange; no actual door from the bedroom area so double sink, bath & walk in shower are all clearly open & visible, only the little toilet/bidet room has a frosted glass door for a bit of privacy - my fiancee noted, not the sort of hotel to stay at with a 'new' partner. If you want to make use of the 2-off patios try & avoid the rooms facing towards the hotel front - there is road which can be a bit obtrusive - we asked to be moved to a pool facing room which was a lot quieter.

Talking of pools, there are 2 of them, again very clean & safe for all ages. These are surrounded by numerous good sunbeds including the Bedouin four poster with curtains type - lovely. Other facilities include an indoor pool & the excellent Health Spa at the rear of the hotel, free to the Biomar guests - this includes a good first floor gym, but the highlight is the ground floor thermal pool with all sorts of water jets & sauna, steam rooms etc. Various treatments/massages are also available but these are charged.

Other pluses include free bike hire & use of other sporting facilities at local venues including the neighbouring Protur hotels - only a short walk away, free WiFi & a couple of free internet terminals. There was some evening entertainment in the Piano Bar, easy listening singers -not our cup of tea so I won't comment.

Now the negatives, nothing major, more little niggles that when combined cause this hotel to loose its 5 star review.

The restaurant has a large indoor room with a fairly small characterless covered outside seating area. This area is just not large enough & often results in hanging around waiting for somebody to vacate a table or going to sit indoors. This is further complicated by the fact that breakfast/evening meals are buffet service so you are not sure if the table is free or its occupants are indoors filling up their plates with food. The buffet service is the next little gripe - buffet breakfast, no problem, but for the evening meal, not so sure, this IS a 5 star hotel. You can experience 'a la carte' service in the themed restaurants on the first floor but at an extra 15 euros per person, ouch!! - the hotel description states four 'a la carte' restaurants,but the reality is, only one of these is open per night, cheeky!!! Back to the main restaurant the food is good, plenty of choice at both meals to suit most tastes. Also no packing up when the meal time is meant to finish & new food still arriving with 5 minutes to go - so fairly relaxed finishing time. The staff were okay & pleasant but needed prompting for menus, drinks, clearing table etc - possibly a few extra staff would have been useful.

The hotel is obviously used a lot for business functions - there were numerous function/conference rooms downstairs below the reception area. Also in this area was, supposedly, a disco & a pub type bar, but these were never open & the large TV in the TV viewing room was never on - strange!! Poolside drinks/food service during the day would have been a typical 5 star touch.

So summing up, this hotel is definitely 5 star for its facilities, cleanliness & furnishings/fittings, but only 4 star for the meal arrangements & general service could be improved. Its not cheap to stay here so I feel the hotel lacked that wow factor - could I find anywhere better in Sa Coma? Possibly not.

Yes, I would still recommend this hotel, we had a great break, but you need you weigh up your expectations against how much your willing to pay for them.

Room Tip: Rooms facing the pool avoid road noise on balcony - we had room 442
1 Thank trueblue60
Proturhotels, Director Comercial at Protur Biomar Gran Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 3 November 2011
We thank you for your comments and suggestions. We are pleased that you enjoyed your stay. We will look into your comments regarding the restaurant and hope to be able to welcome you again in the future.
Billinge, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 September 2011

We visited this hotel for one week beginning 26th August - 2 adults and 2 children. Not at all sure where the negative reviews have come from other than to say those people are extremely picky. The cleanliness of the Hotel is second to none. The sun loungers around the pool area are fantastic. The food quality and variety was very good. The staff were helpful and very accomodating. I struggle to find any negatives with this hotel other than to say it could perhaps be in a nicer area however if you are only venturing out for water etc then its no problen at all. We met some wonderful people whilst we were there with wonderful children and I would go back there tomorrow if I could. The presence of the manager and his interest in whether we were having a good holiday was positively refreshing. Probably one of the best hotels we have stayed in. Well done to all the staff who work so hard.

Room Tip: We had Rm 116 which had a lovely view of the pool. Very spacious and very clean.
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank Cathy S
We thank you very much for your kind comments. We are pleased that you and your family have enjoyed your stay. We will pass on you best wishes to the staff. We look forward to welcoming you again soon.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sa Coma
#1 of 30 in Playa de Muro
Hotel Astoria Playa Only Adults
Hotel Astoria Playa Only Adults
#1 of 48 in Port d'Alcudia

Been to Protur Biomar Gran Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!