“Perfect Getaway”

Balance Hotel Reads Health & Wellness
Reviewed 14 January 2009

This was the third time that I've visited Read's Hotel and have to say it improves with each stay. The true beauty of Read's lies within it's authenticity, relaxed atmosphere and attention to [Spanish] detail; fortunately it isn't a generic luxury hotel with no soul, where once in the bedroom you could be in any country in the world, Read's is a stunning mediterranean experience.

The addition of the Spa typifies Read's, as the sympathetic installation hasn't altered the look or feel of the place at all. We sampled the relaxing atmosphere every day of our holiday and it really did vanquish all thoughts of work and everyday troubles.

The food was simply ridiculous, whether in the Bistro or the Restaurant, the standard was unbelievable; Marc Fosh wipes the floor with anything i've ever eaten and if the hotel wasn't fantastic, it'd be worth a visit for the food only.

Thankfully, the hotel IS fantastic, the food is amazing and the Majorcan wine is so good that it never gets to leave the island. I honestly envy it!

• Stayed: July 2008, travelled as a couple
1  Thank WinemanDerbyshire
There are newer reviews for Balance Hotel Reads Health & Wellness

Reviewed 13 January 2009

I stayed at Reads last March as part of a cycling trip. My group found the property through the Relais & Chateaux network that has always proven to be an extremely reliable source for fine luxury properties having stayed at a number of these properties around the world. I can categorically say that my experience at Reads was the best hotel experience I've ever had. The level of truly personal service and care was beyond anything I've encountered as we were treated like family guests instead of simply "hotel" guests. For example, the manager of the hotel personally went to the airport on two separate occasions to help locate and retrieve lost luggage. The food prepared by Chef Marc Fosh is incredible. As a result, our group chose to dine at the hotel almost every evening, a choice I would normally never make simply for the sake of variety. As a side note, last Fall I invited Chef Fosh to come to the USA as guest chef for a cancer fundraiser and he not only agreed, but he brought a sous chef and provided his services at no cost. Unbelievable! The hotel itself is well appointed, charmingly ecclectic and comfortable. The vibe is more B&B than hotel. I'll definitely be going back to Reads with my entire family as soon as we get the opportunity not only because it is a great hotel with great food, but also because we left having made friends. Definitely a rare outcome!

• Stayed: March 2008, travelled with friends
1  Thank ChetJan
Reviewed 13 January 2009

Three of us traveled to Read's from the US for a cycling vacation and had a great experience. The staff was helpful from the time we walked in the front door until the time that we departed. When the airlines "misplaced" two of our bikes in transit, Malcolm and the rest of the staff bent over backwards to help find our bikes and to put us on great bikes in order to preserve the 5-6 days that we had on the island.

Although we were attracted to Mallorca and to Read's for the cycling, we were very pleasantly surprised to find great food and wine. Marc Fosh runs an exquisite restaurant at the hotel. We dined in the Bistro and in the main restaurant and never once did we lack for great service or for great food.

Each of the three of us who went on this trip plan to return to Read's for subsequent vacations.

• Stayed: March 2008, travelled with friends
Reviewed 11 January 2009

I have stayed at Reads numerous times over the past 11 years as my business travels have taken me to Mallorca, and I have never been disappointed. The grounds are magnificent, the staff is helpful and friendly, and Chef Marc Fosh’s food is the best in Spain and perhaps the best in Europe. My first visit was in January of 1997. The large “businessman’s hotels” on the island were all booked solid and our office in Palma suggested I try Reads. I was concerned that internet and telephone connections would not be up to par - but I needed not to have worried. All worked perfectly. I have hosted numerous dinners in the restaurant for groups ranging in size from 3 or 4 to as many as 20. Our customers are always pleased when I suggest we go to Reads. While the hotel is not in the city, it is only about 15 minutes away, and is much quieter and more relaxing. I always look forward to the opportunity to visit Mallorca and Reads Hotel. In my book, not only does the restaurant deserve its Michelin Stars, but the hotel also is of the same quality.

• Stayed: June 2008, travelled on business
Reviewed 2 January 2009

We are regular visitors to Read's Hotel and whenever we leave we simply look forward to our next visit! The peace and tranquility of the Hotel, set in beautiful grounds, makes an ideal base from which to explore Mallorca.
The elegant Bacchus restaurant and the more casual Bistro are 'foodie' destinations in their own right and to eat Marc Fosh's food is, in my opinion, to taste the best on the Island. As a special treat I also recommend the 'Chef's table' set in an elevated part of the kitchen where you will be served a gourmet tasting menu by Marc.
The amazing new Spa also deserves a mention, total relaxation in stunning surroundings.
This is a truly individual Hotel where we have always received the warmest of welcomes from the Read family, who are always around and chatting to their guests, many of whom become regulars and also friends.
Also - make sure that you check the special offers, there are some incredible low-season packages available which we found more than off-set the fall of sterling!

• Stayed: December 2008, travelled as a couple
1  Thank FemaleFoodie
Reviewed 9 October 2008

Sorry Read family, I have to be honest Hotel Reads could be one of the nicest hotels on the island and we did find you very hospitable, it just misses the mark and the rooms/bathrooms are in desperate need of a good interior designer and definitely not of 5 star quality. The food is excellent and some of the staff were very good although our bed was not made properly and in fact the maid forgot to put a sheet on. Would return if the place had a makeover.

• Stayed: September 2008, travelled as a couple
1  Thank CheltenhamLarry
Reviewed 20 September 2008

The hotel building, rooms, pool, gardens and food are great,but this is a grossly overpriced hotel. We have stayed at many Relais & Chateau hotels and had never been disappointed until now.

The problems?

Concierge services are basically non-existent and forget asking reception to book anything for you, they have no contacts to speak of and you are quicker doing it yourself. On arrival no-one offered to give us a tour of the facilities. On departure while they carried our bags to reception they were dumped there and we had to carry them to our car ourselves. Like another reviewer we ran out of toiletries and had to ask for more.

Waiter service, particulaly in the bistro is dreadful. We probably ate their 6 or 7 times, and had the same waiter each time.Not only had he no idea of our names, he couldn't even remember our room number. He frequently forgot to bring out wine. Our experience in the michelen starred restaurant was similar - slow and uncoordinated service. They also have the most expensive mineral water ever - eur 9.50 for a bottle of welsh(!?) water.

Breakfast - just plain poor in terms of the choice. Eggs were only boiled, sometimes cold, sometimes runny, sometimes hard but always labelled as 6 minutes! The staff clearly were lazy - breakfast was supposed to start at 8am - it never did. Often they could not be bothered to set the tables outside, and when we took our food outside they would walk past us without offering to help. We frequently had to ask for more fruit when it had run out.

On the couple of occassions we had a discussion with the owner, Mr Read, he seemed far more interested in himself than the guests, and this seemed true of most of the staff.

In short while the hotel is nice to look at, it is not somewhere that you will get a warm comfortable feeling about staying in.

• Stayed: September 2008, travelled as a couple
Hotel Pure Salt Garonda
Hotel Pure Salt Garonda
#2 of 78 in Playa de Palma
Hesperia Mallorca Villamil

Been to Balance Hotel Reads Health & Wellness? Share your experiences!