“One time”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Magnolia Kitchen - CLOSED

Magnolia Kitchen
Good for: Child-friendly, Groups
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Highchairs Available, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff
Norton, Virginia
“One time”
Reviewed 29 May 2014

I have only eaten here one time, but the food and service were both good. I know several people who are frequent customers.

Visited March 2014
1 Thank barrtu56

Duffield, Virginia
“Cajun!”
Reviewed 29 May 2014

When friends and I visited for lunch, the food was excellent. The chef brought us samples of the soup of the day almost as soon as we were seated. Having an open kitchen, he chatted with us throughout our meal. The wait staff is a little slow, but I will definitely revisit.

• Visited May 2014
Coeburn, VA
“AVOID!!!”
Reviewed 18 May 2014

I reviewed this restaurant a few months ago soon after it opened and gave it a strong recommendation. Unfortunately I now feel obligated to write this review to strongly recommend that the Magnolia Kitchen be avoided.

We have been regular customers since it opened and up until the past month or so considered it to be one of the best restaurants here in far western Virginia. In the past three weeks I have been there with family and friends on two occasions and once for a business lunch and each time it has been consistently bad. I am saddened to say that the food was of poor quality and the service was worse. Not a single time of the past three visits has the order been correct. The wait staff have been pleasant, but seem untrained and how that which is ordered and that which is served have been consistently wrong suggest a failure on the part of management.

I hope Magnolia can pull out of this nose dive, but until then AVOID the Magnolia Kitchen.

• Visited May 2014
2 Thank Virginian052
Chilhowie, Virginia
“Cajun, Creole, American--all check, but vegetarian . . . ?”
Reviewed 15 April 2014

So here's the deal: this place is great. It may have some service kinks to work through (or it may have sorted those out since my last visit), but it is by far the best restaurant in our area, and I'll tell you why.

First, the decor is simple but tasteful. You don't feel overwhelmed by someone's vision of something. It is peaceful and pleasant--and not overly impressed with itself. You can wear jeans or shorts and feel completely at home.

Second, the food is really homemade. You aren't getting someone else's frozen fish, reconstituted with breadcrumbs and oil. These dishes are made by people who know how to cook and practice the art. For things that can't be improved upon, like bread from Gambino's bakery in Louisiana, well--the owners know what to do. They have it shipped to them. Honestly, the chefs and owners here know what good food is, and that is what they serve every day.

Finally, they have enough of a sense of adventure that they can improvise. When you call to make your reservation (and do call to make a reservation, especially for dinner and especially in the late spring and summer months), be sure to let the person with whom you speak know if you have special dietary needs or restrictions. We let the kitchen know we were vegetarians, and I was absolutely delighted by the taste and presentation of the breaded and baked zucchini and vegetable ratatouille that they served up for me.

As for price, it is more than reasonable, I think. The building it is in--well, it was an old Big Lots store. Now a fraction of that warehouse space houses some of the best food you'll taste in this neck of the woods.

• Visited August 2013
Charleston, West Virginia
“Make a reservation”
Reviewed 2 April 2014

The food was really good. Try the Gumbo. Good service just a little slow. Would eat there again when I have plenty of time. Expect at least an hour and a half for dinner.

Visited April 2014